PDA

View Full Version : Freight companies

skylinegtr20
01-12-2011, 01:36 AM
Hey guys,

Looking for a good freight company to ship my tool box from Lethbridge to Fort Mac, got a quote from a bunch of companies that are in and around $350-$400. Which seems kind of steep considering I ship a car from Vancouver to Calgary for $450.

Anyway know of a possibly more affordable rate? Looking to have it done on Friday.

Here is the box, dimensions are listed: http://forums.beyond.ca/st/317779/snap-on-classic-78-11-drawer-tool-box/

Braden

ExtraSlow
01-12-2011, 07:28 AM
You need someone who does regular freight runs over that route. Have you called Canadian freightways?

I know for oilfield stuff, we use them pretty often and they are a fraction of the cost of a hotshot.

Aside from that, you are pretty much looking for someone who works up there and would be willing to put it in their pickup as a favour. But that is a pretty low security option, it's probably just get stolen out off their truck.

Good luck.

01-12-2011, 07:53 AM
Have you tried any of these?

Vitran
Canadian Freightways
Fastfrate
Kindersley
Tiger Courier
Duckerings
Waltons
CH Robinson (they are a broker and can usually get decent rates)
Purolator Freight

Keep in mind - I wouldnt count on one of these freight companies picking it up from your garage, I would plan on having to get it to and from somewhere that it can be loaded on with a forklift or pallet jack.

You might want to try calling moving companies if you are looking for it to be hand bombed on and off via a house garage, etc..

skylinegtr20
01-12-2011, 08:38 AM
Hey guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. Pickup will actually be from a business address here in Lethbridge and shipping to a residence. He is paying shipping and is fine with the $350 so I am not overly worried but figure I might as well save the guy some cash if possible since he is letting me go on a tool spending spree

Canadian Freightways was the first company I called when looking... but I waited on hold for 35 mins while trying to get a quote so I said fuck it lol

Tried about 4 or 5 of the others on your list and all priced around $350. Will contact the others to see if they are any better!

Braden

ExtraSlow
01-12-2011, 08:45 AM
To be honest, $350 doesn't sound too bad, considering it's a very large item, and you're sending it nearly a thousand KMs.

derpderp
01-12-2011, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
To be honest, $350 doesn't sound too bad, considering it's a very large item, and you're sending it nearly a thousand KMs.

And the roads to Fort Mac can sometimes be pretty unforgiving.

Royle9
01-12-2011, 09:43 AM
unless you have a corporate account with Canadian Freightways you wont receive a good rate at all. Your best bet is 1 of the following:

Duckerings - They go up there, but not all the time.

Grimshaw Trucking - These guys "specialize" in freight to Fort Mac.

I would even try FedEx/UPS (Freight/Courier) and see what kind of rate you get. They don't go there themselves but they use the trucks that do and usually have some of the better rates.

Freight forwarder like CH Robinson can find you a truck, but the likely hood of them doing a "personal" goods shipment with no account set-up with them is very slim.

roopi
01-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Try Vitran first they are usually the cheapest.

skylinegtr20
01-12-2011, 01:35 PM
I will try Grimshaw, Canadian Freightways, and Vitran. See what kind of rates they would offer with a business account, thanks for the help!

gts_gurl
01-12-2011, 03:34 PM
I don't have a business account with Byers Transport/Canadian Freightways, and they only charged me $157.00 to ship a 600lb skid from Calgary to Yellowknife. Def give them a call :)