PDA

View Full Version : Glock sales surge.

ZenOps
01-12-2011, 07:52 AM
Bad economic times for most, excellent times for gun manufacturers.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-11/glock-pistol-sales-surge-in-aftermath-of-shooting-of-arizona-s-giffords.html

Scary that these things come optional with 33 rounds of semi-automatic bullets before you have to switchout.

SJW
01-12-2011, 09:50 AM
Glocks are awesome.

Tomaz
01-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Certain models of Glocks are also available/modifiable to fully automatic. Thank God for the US of A :rolleyes:

Those are some impressive sales numbers! I wish I was making those figures right now :poosie:

zipdoa
01-12-2011, 12:07 PM
We should start a Glock thread... I love the Glock 18, Glock 19, and Glock 33c.

Godfuader
01-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Lets buy more of what killed people, so we can create an illusion of safety. Whats great is that Walmart can replenish your safety bubble...God Bless (save) America! :clap:

ZenOps
01-12-2011, 02:10 PM
"Why buy one when you can have two. God gave you two hands for a reason." Texas gunshop advert :P

CUG
01-12-2011, 02:11 PM
I love Glocks, they's a beautiful piece, sons. Wish we had some of the American gun laws, instead of the "duty to retreat" which is total flaming liberal BS.

Originally posted by Godfuader
Lets buy more of what killed people, so we can create an illusion of safety. Whats great is that Walmart can replenish your safety bubble...God Bless (save) America! :clap: Hey guys! Spot the liberal who's living in fairytale land!

SJW
01-12-2011, 02:56 PM
I just bought a whole slew of 9mm from the ol canadian tire on mcleod. Hurray for my bubble.

CUG
01-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by SJW
I just bought a whole slew of 9mm from the ol canadian tire on mcleod. Hurray for my bubble. How much?

Gman.45
01-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Scary that these things come optional with 33 rounds of semi-automatic bullets before you have to switchout.

Hold it a second.

Magazine capacity really makes little difference when it comes to lethality of a pistol. A good trained shooter can change a magazine VERY quickly. Somebody like me who did nothing for 5 years but shoot pistols every day and teach others the same can change it in the blink of your eye. So even if you are limited to 10 round magazines here in Canada, you aren't much safer if the USER has a degree of training and experience. The G17 can have a factory 17 round mag in the US, and extended 30+ capacity ones as well, however the failings of a 33 mag came to light in this recent incident.

It's very tough to carry an super extended magazine properly, and this guy had it stuffed in a pocket or his pants most likely, as when he went to reload, he bobbled and fumbled it, alowing grandma to dive for it and take it away. If this idiot had 10 10 round magazines in proper magazine holders on his belt and had taken even a small bit of training on their proper use, the death toll would be even higher.

As for the Glock line, they do what they are supposed to, but so do dozens of other manufacturers firearms. Stop by the Shooting Edge and ask how many Glock's have blown up or have had slide/rail seperations and been junked since they opened. The number is mid to high double digits. The same can be said for lots of pistols or rifles...none of them are "super weapons", and all have a varying degree of failure rates. Glocks are just simple and easy to use and maintain, with user screwupable safety systems, so they are easy to train unfamiliar people to use.

Also, Zip, the "C" model Glocks all have built in compensation devices which blow a lot of hot gas straight up. This is great if all you do is train to shoot on the range, but if you plan on using any intermediate to advanced pistol techniques, they are a BAD idea. For example, shooting right from retention from the hip after the initial access-withdraw is completed is IMPOSSIBLE as the gas will blow straight up into your eyes and face.

Also, the Glock 18 series is factory full auto, but there is after market chips you can get (not here unless you have a prohib license or movie prop lic etc) that do the same thing for any model, they just replace the back retaining piece of the slide and have a little silver button that can be pushed left to right. Very high rates of fire, well over 1200 rpm, also very hard on the pistol.

Mitsu3000gt
01-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Glocks are good, they are built with a little lower tolerances so they will shoot pretty well everything. I know lots of guys who use them to shoot the ammo/reloads that won't work in their less forgiving competition guns. For $600 you can't really go wrong.

I personally dislike the grips, and the trigger is awful. There is also no safety on them (built into the trigger). A lot of it is very subjective, though. They also kick pretty good with the polycarbonate bodies vs. a metal gun. Just not my preference.

Glock, S&W M&P, or CZ 75b would probably be my choice for home defense (if I had the need) where maximum reliability is required.

ZenOps
01-12-2011, 05:21 PM
I agree with the extended size being unwieldy.

But its only unweildy to load. He could have started with a single 33 and then had all regulars after that.

SJW
01-12-2011, 05:45 PM
I hate that it has no safety.

Zephyr
01-12-2011, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by SJW
I hate that it has no safety.

You mean it's always set to "party" mode :)

71/454
01-12-2011, 07:31 PM
Glocks are only as good as the training.
If somebody breaks into my house in the middle of the night I'll take a 12 gauge over a Glock any day.

Toma
01-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Never liked the feel of a Glock...

My fav gun was my first gun....
Not the greatest, but it was cheap, dead reliable, and as a 16 year old kid, well, you never forget your first 9 ;)

http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/handguns/usa/2/1287744704.jpg

CUG
01-13-2011, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Zephyr

You mean it's always set to "party" mode :) I :rofl: :rofl: hardcore, because it seemed like the girl in your avatar said that, and that's... just hot as hell.

Gman .45, I meant to ask, are you a range officer at the shooting edge? I know leo's who are surgical at 50 feet with their 17's, moreso than someone with an ACOG on an C8/AR15.

The earlier glocks, from my understanding, are much better than the newer ones, as their parts weren't outsourced, and the whole unit was produced in Austria.

I'm a 1911 in .45 guy, personally.

Freeskier
01-13-2011, 05:00 AM
Lol at the highjack from the original point of this thread :rofl: :rofl:

Never shot a handgun, only rifles. Would like to though. Looks like way too much fun.

ryder_23
01-13-2011, 05:56 AM
No time for reload in a zombie apocalypse.

Toma
01-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Freeskier
Lol at the highjack from the original point of this thread :rofl: :rofl:

Never shot a handgun, only rifles. Would like to though. Looks like way too much fun.

It's actually quite revealing....

even 7 yards makes inexperienced shooters look at the gun and wonder... "wtf! the gun is broken, I missed the whole traget!" lmao.

Its good to take a chick on a date, they love the feeling of power, it excites them.

Mine was stolen, and even though I thought it was cool at 16-19 years of age, it was pretty gay, and a kid thing, I never bought more guns after about 19.

Mitsu3000gt
01-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Toma
Its good to take a chick on a date, they love the feeling of power, it excites them.

This.

It's my go-to first date suggestion, the ladies LOVE it.

It can be expensive though LOL, especially if it doesn't end up working out. No different than a dinner or something though I guess.

403Gemini
01-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23
No time for reload in a zombie apocalypse.

There is plenty of time if you reload this quick :rofl:

Ls4Uq1aCiTA

911fever
01-13-2011, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by CUG
I love Glocks, they's a beautiful piece, sons. Wish we had some of the American gun laws, instead of the "duty to retreat" which is total flaming liberal BS.

Hey guys! Spot the liberal who's living in fairytale land!

boom headshot
literally sniped a libtard

Str1der
01-14-2011, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Glock, S&W M&P, or CZ 75b would probably be my choice for home defense (if I had the need) where maximum reliability is required.

If maximum reliability were truly a concern, a semi-auto wouldn't be part of the equation.

CUG
01-14-2011, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Str1der

If maximum reliability were truly a concern, a semi-auto wouldn't be part of the equation. Only if you're a shitty shooter. The failure rates aren't as high if you actually maintain your piece.

Str1der
01-14-2011, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by CUG
Only if you're a shitty shooter. The failure rates aren't as high if you actually maintain your piece.

The point being made is maximum reliability - is your position that semi-automatics have a statistically higher maximum reliability, than say, a revolver?

In any event, my preference is a tactical shotgun for CQC scenarios.

CUG
01-14-2011, 01:56 AM

The point being made is maximum reliability - is your position that semi-automatics have a statistically higher maximum reliability, than say, a revolver?

In any event, my preference is a tactical shotgun for CQC scenarios. Well if we're looking at the whole picture, accuracy and ease of use would be a factor, so... yep? Racking a shotgun is pretty intimidating, I agree. The blamming sound that follows if a motherfucker doesn't check himself proper is even more so, I would imagine.

Str1der
01-14-2011, 02:05 AM
I take it you are somewhat uneducated on firearms. It's ok, we're all here to learn.

CUG
01-14-2011, 03:26 AM
I take it you are somewhat uneducated on firearms. It's ok, we're all here to learn.

See, and I mean no slight at your character by this, but it seems like every dweeb that read a guns and ammo mag, who went to the shooters edge a couple of times decides that they're the authorized voice of god when it comes to guns.

You say that to people who you have no clue about regarding their level of training or background, experience or anything.

My familiarity lay with a semi-automatic pistol. Given the laws we have about storage, a revolver is slightly more ridiculous than a semi-auto simply because you're allowed to have rounds in a magazine, allowing you to chamber a round much faster than fumbling for your .357 ammunition, opening the cylinder, putting rounds in it, closing it and hoping your first squeeze goes boom. This isn't even really a debate so..

Iceman_19
01-14-2011, 04:43 AM
I myself like the SiG P226. Very nicely balanced pistol, and very little kick back. I shot it pretty damn accurately my first time ever shooting a pistol at the range. It was love at first round.

Gman.45
01-14-2011, 09:40 AM
My familiarity lay with a semi-automatic pistol. Given the laws we have about storage, a revolver is slightly more ridiculous than a semi-auto simply because you're allowed to have rounds in a magazine, allowing you to chamber a round much faster than fumbling for your .357 ammunition, opening the cylinder, putting rounds in it, closing it and hoping your first squeeze goes boom. This isn't even really a debate so..

Well said.

In fact, in Canada, if you store your restricted firearms in what the CFC considers a "vault", you do NOT need to trigger lock your restricteds, just the prohibs, and you CAN store ammo in the same vault as well. So, by this, you can purchase a decent safe/vault with an electronic combo on the front (many have them) and have loaded magazines next to your locked open semi autos...the quickest way to ensure getting your weapon into action legally in this country. Unless you try to go with the old "I was practicing magazine changes when the guy broke in" story, haha.

If you are out in the country, the storage laws do differ, so you can have a non-restricted firearm close aboard for "predator control". They don't specify if the predators must run on 4 legs or 2. In this scenario, a shotgun is likely the fastest means to get into swift action.

Str1der
01-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by CUG
Given the laws we have about storage, a revolver is slightly more ridiculous than a semi-auto simply because you're allowed to have rounds in a magazine, allowing you to chamber a round much faster than fumbling for your .357 ammunition, opening the cylinder, putting rounds in it, closing it and hoping your first squeeze goes boom.

Ok, so you aren't actually aren't arguing maximum reliability, but rather the impact of Canadian gun law, is that correct? Just clarifying because rather than following a logical path you appear to be reaching and adding new modifiers in order to be "right" about something.

Gman.45
01-14-2011, 09:54 AM
He's correct in both instances really Str1der. In my experience revolvers have a higher failure rate than semi autos. This is from long experience of owning and shooting both for over 20 years, and what I've observed while being in a rental range environment and having seen tens of millions of rounds go downrange out of both types.

If you don't buy this, as I've said, stop by the Shooting Edge in Calgary or Wild West in Edmonton (I don't live there) and ask anyone who works there how long revolvers last on their rental range, and they'll burst out laughing, that I guarantee.

Still and all, my first pistol was my fathers S/W .38 that he carried for 30 years prior to his department swithching to Glock 22's like everyone else. It still works being nearly 50 yeras old, but that's only because it is very rarely used, and never punished.

ercchry
01-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Godfuader
Lets buy more of what killed people...

hey! guns dont kill people....

people with mustaches do :D

Tomaz
01-14-2011, 10:12 AM
For everyone's reference:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/storage-entreposage-eng.htm

Storing Firearms Safely

* Unload and lock your firearms!
* Store the ammunition separately or lock it up. It can be stored in the same locked container as the firearm.

Non-restricted firearms

* Attach a secure locking device, such as a trigger lock or cable lock (or remove the bolt) so the firearms cannot be fired; or
* Lock the firearms in a container or room that is hard to break into.

An unloaded non-restricted firearm can be kept unlocked:

* temporarily if it is needed to control animal predators in an area where a firearm can lawfully be fired (ammunition must be kept separate or locked up); or
* in a remote wilderness area (ammunition may be kept readily accessible).

Restricted and prohibited firearms

* Attach a secure locking device so the firearms cannot be fired and lock them in a cabinet, container or room that is hard to break into; or
* Lock the firearms in a vault, safe or room that was built or modified specifically to store firearms safely.
* For an automatic firearm, also remove the bolt or bolt carrier (if removable) and lock it in a separate room that is hard to break into.

Gman.45
01-14-2011, 11:08 AM
Ammunition: It can be stored in the same locked container as the firearm.

# 1 Attach a secure locking device so the firearms cannot be fired AND lock them in a cabinet, container or room that is hard to break into; OR

#2 OR Lock the firearms in a vault, safe or room that was built or modified specifically to store firearms safely.

You only have to attach a locking system directly to the firearm if it IS NOT in a vault, safe, or room designed for firearms. You can also have ammunition stored together with the firearm if it is in said vault safe or room. There is case law on this existing already. In fact, a CPS officer that will go nameless that has the largest collection I've seen in Calgary has precisely the same set up as I. Hundreds of firearms, and they only time they are trigger locked is during transport, as the room and vault he has don't require them either.

Thanks Tomaz, I was going to post that as well, but going to the CFC site just makes me angry.

I have both personally, I have a room converted as a vault that I store most things in, included ammunition, and a vault in my bedroom that is bolted to both the floor and wall and has an electronic entry system, with some of my restricted pistols and an M4gery in it, with loaded magazines. Both ways are perfectly legal.
Also, much less likely to be stolen than just a cheap padlock on a plastic case with a trigger lock on the pistol. This is a great way to store firearms in your car for transport, not at home. Also the "hard to break into" clause is stupid too. If I have a rubber mallet, it is easy to break into a metal tool box, often used for pistols. If I have a metal claw hammer, I can break into the plastic pistol cases also often used. See, it depends on the tool to define what is "easy" to be broken into. Again, crazy. Even the trigger locks are ridiculous, as a part of my jobs in the past, breaking into them after an owner has passed on, or a stolen gun has been recovered and dropped off has often been necessary. I can teach anyone to do it in about 5 seconds on nearly ALL of the major brand locks, except the combination ones, which NOBODY buys as they are several times the expense.

I've always wondered why they allowed them to be store in such a way at home, but many of our laws are crazy. For example, I can go hunting varmits with my Swiss Arms Sig 550 rifle as it is unrestricted, yet any of my 5 AR rifles I can't, when they are really not much different in terms of capability - semi auto main battle rifles. Insane.

Mitsu3000gt
01-14-2011, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Gman.45
He's correct in both instances really Str1der. In my experience revolvers have a higher failure rate than semi autos. This is from long experience of owning and shooting both for over 20 years, and what I've observed while being in a rental range environment and having seen tens of millions of rounds go downrange out of both types.

If you don't buy this, as I've said, stop by the Shooting Edge in Calgary or Wild West in Edmonton (I don't live there) and ask anyone who works there how long revolvers last on their rental range, and they'll burst out laughing, that I guarantee.

Still and all, my first pistol was my fathers S/W .38 that he carried for 30 years prior to his department swithching to Glock 22's like everyone else. It still works being nearly 50 yeras old, but that's only because it is very rarely used, and never punished.

I tend to agree with this. I was at TSE the other day and saw their rental revolver fail to shoot a couple times. I am not basing my opinion solely on that of course, it's just one example. There are people who think revolves are more reliable, and people who think semi's are more reliable.

There are many people with glocks, CZ's, etc that have fired literally thousands of rounds through without a single misfire. I'm sure there are revolver owners who can claim the same.

I would take a tried & true semi auto pistol with quality ammo over a revolver any day. Faster to load, SA trigger pull, easier to hold & control during firing (IMO), and I get 10 shots.

Obviously a pump action shot gun is the most reliable gun period for home defense, but I was talking about pistols specifically.

Freeskier
01-14-2011, 11:49 AM
Why is the revolver a less reliable gun than a semi automatic? In my extremely limited knowledge of the different firing mechanisms, isnt the revolver a simpler mechanism?

Mitsu3000gt
01-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Freeskier
Why is the revolver a less reliable gun than a semi automatic? In my extremely limited knowledge of the different firing mechanisms, isnt the revolver a simpler mechanism?

They are simpler, but also more fragile (i.e. if dropped). Honestly I don't think there is a huge reliability difference between either, but the semi auto has a ton of other advantages (faster shooting, faster loading, 10 shot capacity, SA triggers, etc.). The chances of either well-maintained gun with quality ammo in a clean environment failing are almost zero. Revolvers are also far less reliable in dirty environments, which is one reason you will not see many used by military or law enforcement.

Also consider that unless you manually cock each round, a revolver has a double action trigger pull every time (to rotate the cylinder), which typically makes shooting less accurate, especially if you're doing it quickly. Pulling a 2-4lb SA trigger on a semi auto will have much less impact on accuracy, especially when shooting quickly.

CUG
01-14-2011, 01:32 PM

Ok, so you aren't actually aren't arguing maximum reliability, but rather the impact of Canadian gun law, is that correct? Just clarifying because rather than following a logical path you appear to be reaching and adding new modifiers in order to be "right" about something. If I want to invoke the maximum possibility of stopping an intruder or attacker, if I want MAXIMUM RELIABILITY in doing so, all of everything comes into play, yeah, including our ridiculous gun laws. That's not even talking about the anticipation that comes from the heavier trigger pull and stuff (I think). Like Gman and Mitsu said, it's a pretty weak piece. I've even heard that outside of here.

zipdoa
01-14-2011, 01:52 PM
I assume it's illegal to convert a Glock to full-auto in Canada?

Mitsu3000gt
01-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa
I assume it's illegal to convert a Glock to full-auto in Canada?

Indeed it would be. Anything full auto is illegal in Canada pretty much. It's also illegal with more than 10 rounds in the magazine.

Basically all the really fun stuff having to do with guns is illegal in Canada.

Some guns are prohibited here for simply RESEMBLING the more lethal counterpart, even if they cannot be modified to accept the higher caliber rounds. Also any handgun with a barrel length of less than 106mm is prohibited - another stupid rule.

SJW
01-14-2011, 02:44 PM
Yah the barrel length one is weird. Someone probably thought it wouldn't fit your pocket at that size.

Mitsu3000gt
01-14-2011, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by SJW
Yah the barrel length one is weird. Someone probably thought it wouldn't fit your pocket at that size.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it has to do with ease of concealment.

I can put a 104mm barrel in my pocket just as easily as a 105mm one haha. I could hide a shotgun under a coat if I wanted to as well. It's retarded.

Freeskier
01-14-2011, 04:00 PM
I DON'T GET IT!
Ha Still lost on restricted PAL's, anyways. Sorry for wasting thread space.

Lets go shoot some varmints!! Yeehaawww.

Toma
01-14-2011, 04:12 PM
A revolver is WAY more reliable, and doesn't take any more time to load with a speed loader.

I've also owned a 454 Casull, and a SW 586-7.

I've shot lots of semis, and I have experienced a jam or misfire with all of them.... Glock's, Sigs, Beretta's, Taurus etc.

I sold all my shit off years ago, so maybe the newer stuff is better.... but you cant compare reliability of a revolver to a semi... that's ludicrous.

A GREAT home defence gun would be a .357 magnum revolver, about twice as hot as a 9mm, and about 30% more energy over a .45. Easy to shoot, dead reliable... enough power, it can cause hydrostatic shock in your vicitm....

But this is Canada.... so I have a steel pipe, no more guns.... there's NO need for them, I don't lock my doors when I am home, and I am not scared of the boogey man.

Tomaz
01-14-2011, 04:23 PM

A GREAT home defence gun would be a .357 magnum revolver, about twice as hot as a 9mm, and about 30% more energy over a .45. Easy to shoot, dead reliable... enough power, it can cause hydrostatic shock in your vicitm....

... and put a crater in every house down the block. Not to mention the sound blowing apart anything that resembles ears.

Mitsu3000gt
01-14-2011, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz

... and put a crater in every house down the block. Not to mention the sound blowing apart anything that resembles ears.

Haha I know what you mean, when I am at the range and guys are firing .357's or .44 mags beside me, It's almost too much even with the maximum possible hearing protection. The other day too I had my arms out too far, and the .357 beside me would spray burning hot gun powder on my hands every time it fired lol. It's a nasty weapon, for sure. I find those guns fun for 20 min or so and then the appeal wears off...not to mention the cost of ammo :).

Toma
01-14-2011, 04:34 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tomaz
[B]

As long as were area talking the ridiculous "what iffs" of armed home invasion where they want to rape your wife, kill your kids, and not just steal your junk....

Well that's the point. Even if oyu miss, the shockwave will knock em down. :thumbsup: And there are some nice reloads ... guaranteed NOT to pass through your target ;)

Gman.45
01-14-2011, 05:34 PM
It's shorter than 106mm, not 105mm, but close enough.

The reason this was done was a simple numbers grab by the government and forces behind gun control. At the time when this law was enacted in the early 90's, over 60% of the handguns were 4" Revolvers or smaller. By coming up with the 106mm length, they effectively removed 2/3'rds of the handguns in the country at the time after that generation dies off, or sells out of the 12-6 Prohib class. Little did they know how interested our generation would become in firearms, nor how many we would buy. Now US and other makers specifically manufacture pistols right on the 106mm line for us, such as Kimber USA, S/W, and many others.

Also, the 12-5 class took a real kicking too. They prohib'd nearly all the semi auto battle rifles in the country, only allowing the Ar15 at the time to stay restricted as it is used in the service rifle and Queens Medal shoots (Joe Clark is largely responsible for allowing us shooters to keep our AR15 rifles out of prohib status, which further hinders their use).

Now, so many manufacturers from all over the world make rifles that pass the RCMP scrutiny and come in "non restricted", like the Sig 550 line (Swiss Arms now, bahaha same rifle except a tiny little line good job MORONS), the new AR18's, tons and tons of AK variants like the CZ858's that can be non restricted with an 18.5 inch barrel. Oh-hoho, good job firearms center, we can have those but AK's which are NO different in terms of capability, and only slightly in operation are prohibited, while I shoot gophers and coyotes with my CZ AK's.

Also, regarding the Full Auto Glocks, it IS possible to own them in Canada, but you need a prohibited licence for Full Auto, and a constructing prohibited devices permit doesn't hurt. I've worked for companies that have one or both, and under those permits you CAN shoot them at the range even, but they aren't the simplest things to get for certain, and outside of this, you'll never even lay eyes on one in Canada, much less fire it. Full auto is fun, like riding a moped in Thailand, but it isn't that usefull for things other than clearing rooms or laying down suprresive fire, and in my experience, no private military contractors that I've trained or worked with use F/A rifles, and the only FA weapons used are light support weapons at emplacements or on vehicles. I can do with a semi-auto rifle better than some half ass trained clown can do with full auto every day of the week.

I usually get a BS call at this point, so check out a Calgary Local company owned by a pal of mine that not only has full/auto (watch the videos), but has suppressors on them to boot.

www.canadiantactical.ca

CUG
01-14-2011, 05:49 PM
^There's a company called Alberta Tactical Rifle that outfits our Tac guys. He's got one as well.

A revolver is WAY more reliable, and doesn't take any more time to load with a speed loader.

A GREAT home defence gun would be a .357 magnum revolver, Not really.

Gman.45
01-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Yes CUG he does, he built my .338 Lapua rifle for me.

That's your opinion, and it might even be true with firearms that are RARELY shot. But start training daily with both revolvers and semi auto's and you'll quickly find that most quality semi auto's outlast quality revolvers. Like I said, ask anyone RO or owner of a retail rental range location and they'll tell you the same, and they have the best data as they put more rounds through their guns than anyone in the country.

I was/is an instructor through SigArms Academy, easily one of the best gunfighting schools in the world, so I'm not just talking for entertainment, this has been my chosen work since, well forever. I've also worked for the best, and as it is now only Canadian private military company working in Afghanistan. My opinion as pretty much the same as everybody's I've ever worked with or for.

Also, the proper use of a speedloader requires you to take your shooting hand OFF the pistol, cradle it with your non dominant hand, and use your shooting had to access your speed loader, withdraw it, insert it, turn it, discard it, the transfer your dominant hand back to the grip, use your non dominant hand to close the cylinder, re establish your grip, then re- present the firearm to target, the re-establish your sight picture if you're using sighted fire techniques. Ya, and that's after you've upended the pistol, pointed it to the sky, and depressed the ejection rod. How is this in any way easier, and faster. Let me assure you, speed is ONE thing...economy of motion, and it's hard to achieve for most with a revolver, whereas most CAN with an AUTO. Save for Bob Mundon of course, but he's the fastest guy I've seen with both revolvers and autos, so he doesn't count.

As for you having jams with nearly every semi auto, this sounds like an ammunition or user issue, if not the ammo most likely an improper grip, what is called "limp wristing" the pistol, and not locking your wrist, as many brands particularly Glocks need this in order for the recoil operated reloading cycle system to operate completely and not cause failure to feed or fire's. Google it, very known issue.

When a revolver breaks in my experience it REALLY breaks (again ask them at TSE about this), and is usually done until a major overhaul takes place. I've competed in Police Pistol Combat league in several places in North America, and this is a largely revolver sport. You won't find anyone shooting S/W revolvers that has one go longer than 20,000 rounds without overhaul. I got my work Sig226 pistol from Germany (it's an x police gun with no springs and parts). The frame has over 100,000 rounds on it, as I've used it on every course I've taken or instructed for 5 years, not to mention competing and other BS, and I've only replaced the trigger return spring and mainspring on it. Other guys I've worked with who hail from Dwyer Hill, a place where more ammo gets put through 226's than anywhere on the planet tell me their armourer has never had a massive failure of slide or reciever, just small crap.

Judge that as you see fit.

Toma
01-14-2011, 06:41 PM
^^^^
Thanks, don't need to ask anyone. Probably shot 100,000 rounds before I was 20, my experience tells me that a revolver never jams.

I was a member of the old "Firing Line", and the owner, and "Barry", one of the employees were both bonafide collectors...

Shot my share of full auto toys back then.... can't remember the owners name, but he was cool shit. If you bought the ammo, you could shoot his shit till your hands were numb, just no reloaded ammos was allowed. But back then, there was tons of surplus ammo so it was cheap. The owner was also some sort of shotgun champion, offered to tcoach me cause I was the youngest member, and for some reason, he wanted to be nice to me... didn't take him up on it unfortunately.

Most people interested in home defense (again, not a justifiable reason to own a handgun in Canada) aren't gonna be pounding 10,000 rounds through any of their guns.

But it's a dumb argument. I was just pointing out that plain and simple, a revolver IS more reliable. No biggy, we are talking small difference in odds.

CUG
01-14-2011, 07:44 PM
I was just pointing out that plain and simple, a revolver IS more reliable. Nope.

Gman.45
01-14-2011, 08:20 PM
Rick Karst was the owner, and a friend of mine, former Cop, married to Sharon, as well as my former boss at one point. Barry used to hang out with me, with what I called his rolling arsenal of knives and ASP batons on him, and his crazy long asian hair. Good times, that brought back memories. BTW both of them purchases many of their exotic and F/A firearms from me and my company. It was the whole "nose candy" storage conspiracy (cough true) that brought the place down, damn shame too.

And you're right, revolvers don't fail to fire often from a "jam", but they do suffer a castastrophic failure far more often than an auto. Firing line, shooting edge, wild west, everyone else...they'll all tell you the same thing.

Probably shot 100,000 rounds before

Only heard that about a hundread thousand TIMES. Unless this was mostly .22, I always challenge people on it. If it was, ignore the following:

If you were a member of your nations rifle or pistol team and shot 100 rounds or more every day for 3 years, then I'd say, sure ok, as this adds up to rougly 100k. That means reloading the two magazines that came with your pistol five times each and emptying them downrange every single day for 3 years if you were on your own. Not to mention the expense, even in the early 90's during the firing line days 9mm was close to 15$ a box...that's only a thousand dollars a month on pistol ammo alone..every day for three years. People that have shot a bit or owned a dozen plus firearms always have this conception that they've shot hundreds or millions of rounds, but it just isn't so.

See I was paid to shoot every day for 5 years, not to mention took dozens of courses and instructed many more, each of which were 500 rounds per course plus, and I'm 37, and I can't even claim that. Don't give me the "military" one either, as no military on this earth would ever allow a soldier to expend that much of its ammunition, even on the rifle team.

I won't argue with your claim, I'm just stating what I've found to be true in my experience, if you were in fact on a paid for team of some kind or are really rich and spent 50k on ammo in a couple/few years, I retract all of the previous statements and pull my foot from my mouth, and ask you to not take offence, it's just a reflex reaction from having ten thousand wannabe's blab in front of me for years.

Toma
01-15-2011, 12:39 PM
HAhahaha... that's awesome... I loved that place.

Fuck, yeah, I forgot, his wife had a Convertible Mustang, like an '85 that I was in love with as a kid, they used to sell books like "how to convert your ruger 10/22 to full auto", and the anarchists cookbook right off the shelf. lol

I saw Barry years later, think he was teaching self defense somewhere.

Honestly, from about 16 to 20 or so my life was school, work, shooting, and every spare penny I had I bought guns or ammo with. When I say I probably went through 500 rounds a week, I mean it. All calibres. Yes, a lot of .22, .223, 9mm, 7.62x39, 10mm etc.... Thank god firing line offered reloads, and "things military" had surplus lol.

Put it this way, my addiction then was guns. Today, it's cars, and I have 11 cars! lol. If that gives you an idea of my compulsive personality.

Gman.45
01-15-2011, 01:00 PM
I saw Barry years later, think he was teaching self defense somewhere.

He went to Kamploops then Kelowna, then I went overseas and lost track of him around 2000 or so. Ya great times. Don Godfray the manager is now the GM at Ikea, if you ever need swedish crap, you can probably get if cheap, I'm sure he'ld remember you, ahah.

Str1der
01-15-2011, 01:01 PM
Ah, good old Barry. Fucking guy is a walking arsenal. Last time I saw him was probably in the late 90's at the Black Wolf pool hall (now Hooters). Think he was doing some instructing for Bissett Jiu Jitsu in Kelowna in the early 2000s.