PDA

View Full Version : Honda to sell natural-gas power Civic starting in 2011

Super_Geo
01-12-2011, 09:22 AM
Thoughts? NG is cheap compared to oil, and will stay that way for years... it won't have much power, but I don't think that's what this segment is looking for.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011/01/10/business-specialized-consumer-services-us-auto-show-honda_8249189.html

DETROIT -- Honda Motor Co. says it plans to sell a natural-gas version of its new Civic sedan in all 50 states starting this year.

The company currently sells around 1,500 natural-gas Civics each year, mostly to government fleets. Until now, it only sold natural-gas Civics to individual buyers in four states.

Natural gas-burning vehicles produce lower emissions, and 98 percent of the natural gas used in the U.S. comes from North America. But there are only 1,000 natural gas fueling stations in the U.S.

Honda ( HMC - news - people ) is also releasing a gas-electric hybrid version of the Civic.

Honda introduced the new Civic on Monday at the Detroit auto show. It has a more aerodynamic, chiseled look than the outgoing Civic.

The compact sedan goes on sale this spring. Honda wouldn't give a price.

dimi
01-12-2011, 09:27 AM
I'd be down if there was better access to gas stations equipped with NG.

Back in Europe a lot of people retrofit a gas system in their car due to the price of fuel. Does add quite a bit of weight though.

sputnik
01-12-2011, 10:17 AM
I would buy one if I could get a natural gas filler pump installed in my garage.

You lose half of the trunk for the NG setup, but you still have more than enough room for groceries.

http://0.tqn.com/d/alternativefuels/1/0/b/N/-/-/ag_civicgx_trunk.jpg

iceberg65
01-12-2011, 12:19 PM
I have a dual Fuel 91 F150 that is set up to run natural gas (well a couple hoses are disconnected right now); It was a Fleet vehicle. As mentioned before, there is nowhere to fill it so the system kinda becomes useless to the average person.

Chandler_Racing
01-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Honda would have to take on distribution to see this as a true alternative energy.

Tik-Tok
01-12-2011, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
I would buy one if I could get a natural gas filler pump installed in my garage.

+1

Let me hook up to my house NG, and I'd totally get one as a daily driver. This would never happen though, as there's too many morons who would blow their houses up.

Is automotive NG the same as household supply? Or does it have to be cleaner or higher pressure?

atgilchrist
01-12-2011, 01:08 PM
^wouldn't have to any cleaner, but I'm guessing it would have to be somewhat pressurized in the car, to hold enough fuel to get decent range per tank.

As someone said above, it would be sweet if you could fill it at home, but it will never happen. Last I heard, EnCana was working on building a system of filling stations in Alberta, which would be cool.

craigcd
01-12-2011, 01:37 PM
It is becoming a bit more common and NG is available in major cities.

If you are interested in who is using NG and where take a look at the below link- Encana is trying to push this in the fleet industry.

http://www.encana.com/operations/gas/natural-gas-vehicle-summit.html

Craig

skylinegtr20
01-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

+1

Let me hook up to my house NG, and I'd totally get one as a daily driver. This would never happen though, as there's too many morons who would blow their houses up.

Is automotive NG the same as household supply? Or does it have to be cleaner or higher pressure?

Not the same, household is low pressure and the car systems have to be high.

streethondas
01-12-2011, 03:52 PM
In Pakistan then have been running CNG (NG) for the past 5years or so.. When I was down there a few years ago We bought a toyota corolla with this CNG kit and oh man took about 1min to get up to 60km and it would run out of CNG extremely fast! Glad there were CNG stations every 10km:rofl:

Sentry
01-12-2011, 05:40 PM
Nothin new here. Honda came out with a Civic GX (look it up) back in the 90s.

alloroc
01-12-2011, 07:08 PM
I'm not so sure with the 'no power' statement.

My dad and I have experimented with propane power in a few vehicles and it responds VERY well to boost. propane has an octane rating of 105 and natural gas is around 130 I am sure you could do similar things with it.

italianstylez
01-12-2011, 09:38 PM
Honda has sold natural gas vehicles before , this is the first time it has been available for the public tho.

B20EF
01-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Wouldn't be allowed in any underground parkades :thumbsdow

georgemagana
01-12-2011, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by italianstylez
Honda has sold natural gas vehicles before , this is the first time it has been available for the public tho.

WRONG! Honda started selling NG powered civics in brazil like 5 years ago. They first introduced it as a trim but they sold so many that now all civics are powered by natural gas

italianstylez
01-13-2011, 01:55 AM
Your WRONG they sold them to government agencies/officals in the states. Do a search

sputnik
01-13-2011, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by B20EF
Wouldn't be allowed in any underground parkades :thumbsdow

Why not?

The emissions from a NG car is water vapour.

Propane isn't allowed because the emissions are toxic and heavy.

ExtraSlow
01-13-2011, 08:19 AM
In addition to EnCana, Devon has a small fleet of natural gas vehicles as well. I think there are several petroleum companies doing this.

spikerS
01-13-2011, 08:58 AM
are there any NG filling stations in Calgary?

sputnik
01-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by spikers
are there any NG filling stations in Calgary?

Three.

ATCO Gas

3055 37 Avenue NE
500 Crowfoot Crescent NW
383 Midpark Blvd. SE

Mitsu3000gt
01-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Why the fuss about filling stations? Couldn't you just always fill it up at your home? I think most people wanting to buy these would be for daily commutes - I don't think the people buying these are buying them for any long trips, but I could be wrong. Just fill up at home every morning or night before work.

Super_Geo
01-13-2011, 01:34 PM
You'd need a serious compressor to get it from the low residential delivery pressures.

Mitsu3000gt
01-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
You'd need a serious compressor to get it from the low residential delivery pressures.

Ohh ok haha. I thought you could just unhook the BBQ, plug the car instead, and be good to go in a few minutes.

ipeefreely
01-14-2011, 10:14 AM

You can! :drool:

But it takes over night to fill the tank. :rofl:

Some home builders are offering this in Edmonton too! :thumbsup:

More Info (http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/new-cars/news/2006/the-pros-cons-of-buying-a-cng-powered-honda-civic/overview/0609_how-to-jump-start-a-car_ov.htm)

B20EF
01-14-2011, 02:15 PM

Why not?

The emissions from a NG car is water vapour.

I thought propane wasnt allowed in parkades because it is a compressed gas.

ipeefreely
01-14-2011, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by B20EF

I thought propane wasnt allowed in parkades because it is a compressed gas.

Propane is heavier than air so it will pool underground, Natural Gas is lighter so it's not a problem.

DRKM
01-15-2011, 11:35 AM

Propane burns clean as well. Think about all of the forklifts in warehouses or welders, all propane.