PDA

View Full Version : UV vs Skylight....

logi
01-12-2011, 04:20 PM
Are there any differences? i've been reading a bit online and reviewers seem to say skylight ones correct colors more and bring them out more?

also, is there a difference between thin wide angle filters and reg ones? thinking of getting one for my 12-24 and wasnt sure if there was a big difference... there is in price.

thanks

Mitsu3000gt
01-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by logi
Are there any differences? i've been reading a bit online and reviewers seem to say skylight ones correct colors more and bring them out more?

also, is there a difference between thin wide angle filters and reg ones? thinking of getting one for my 12-24 and wasnt sure if there was a big difference... there is in price.

thanks

Digital cameras have no need for UV filters, that was for the film days. Lenses, and the sensors themselves already have UV coatings. If you want a filter purely for protection, look into something like the Nikon NC (neutral color) filter (fits all brands of lenses in the right thread size), or similar.

A polarizer will likely be far more useful to you than a Skylight filter, especially for outdoors.

If the filter is going on a wide angle lens like your 12-24, you will want to look into the thinner ones (wide angle) to help avoid vignetting.