PDA

View Full Version : WRX STI's and EVO X's: Nope not a rivalry argument

SideSwipe
01-12-2011, 06:57 PM
Any input from owners of WRX STI's and evos (X's mostly) would be greatly appreciated.

Im stuck in a dilemma in which i cant decide on whether to buy an EVO X GSR or a 2011 wrx sti hatchback with sport tech package. I am selling my two vehicles for one (garage space and future projects...). But i dont want to sell my fun and HP with those vehicles. :( (of course they have to sell first so i have some time to decide)

Considering this car would be a daily driver, i also need to maintain some form of reliability. But i cant see an intake, exhaust, and tune and maybe some other parts good for at least 400hp or more, taking a huge chunk of reliability out of the equation....Sure it lowers the reliability, but by a worryingly large amount?

I would love to build my own version of the Evo X FQ360 or FQ400 if i choose an evo.

From what I understand (from magazines, videos, and other forums) Evo's are better performance vehicles over the sti. Evo's are cheaper and easier to modify (?). Sti's are more practical. I know it all comes down to preferences, but i simply want some back ground info in the two cars from more of a performance and modification aspect based on personal experience. I want to know what other owners felt about the cars ect.

I like the wrx sti 5 door because it looks cool, has a cool exhaust note (especially with a nice exhaust system) has a 6 speed, pretty comfortable, the whole centre locking diff and various degrees of lock and throttle response... its somewhat practical (i dont move lots of stuff). And its slightly cheaper with the sport-tech package than a loaded evo.

I like the evo because ever since i saw the top gear episode where Jeremy Clarkson raced a lambo I told myself that one day i want a four door 4 cylinder japanese car that can eat lambos. And then i also saw the newest comparison between the evo 360 and sti and that didnt help. I also like the way they look, and the awd system... but they are considerably more expensive and you still only get a 5 speed 290hp/300ft.lbs.

oh, dont start an argument. :) No mater how much you want to, dont do it. Both cars are great, and they are both as ugly as infected war wounds...

jsn
01-12-2011, 07:12 PM
To be honest, I think you should just go test drive both and see which one you prefer. Both have their own Pros and Cons and you'll have fanboys on each side trying to convince you that one is better than the other. The evo may be slightly faster but unless you're going to track it fairly often, that may not even be a consideration. Just try both and see which one you prefer.

jutes
01-12-2011, 07:15 PM
I would wait a year and see if Subaru finally redesigns their turbo engines - they've been the same since 04'. If they are the same ol' piston ring eating monstrosity, go with the EVO.

Onassis
01-12-2011, 07:31 PM
They are both due for major rehauls in the next year or so, I'd wait for the Evo XI and new STI.

Muji
01-12-2011, 07:37 PM
Wait for the refreshed versions of each. Sell one of your current vehicles and sit with the cash until the new designs come out, you know you will regret it if you jump in now. Besides, there will be better deals once the newer models are on the dealer's lot, should you still want the older versions.

I am a hatchback guy, Mits are nice and all, just nothing hatch-like at the moment with real power. Nice if they did.

SideSwipe
01-12-2011, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Muji
Wait for the refreshed versions of each. Sell one of your current vehicles and sit with the cash until the new designs come out, you know you will regret it if you jump in now. Besides, there will be better deals once the newer models are on the dealer's lot, should you still want the older versions.

I am a hatchback guy, Mits are nice and all, just nothing hatch-like at the moment with real power. Nice if they did.

Thats usually what always happens. They wont change the design or whatever until i buy one. But even then i dont see or hear any news from mitsubishi or subaru about any new versions coming any time soon. And on top of that i would still like to get some money from the vehicles im selling... would rather not throw them away.

I think im just going to spend a weekend test driving the two cars.

as for tracking it... its the last year of race city. chances are slim that i would get to test my new evo or sti on the track :cry:

carzcraz
01-12-2011, 10:04 PM
You honestly need to test drive both before deciding. They really do drive and perform quite differently, each with its own strengths and weaknesses. We enjoyed them both and ended up with one each.

To make the cars perform better/faster, the Evo seems to cost less to modify. We are bringing my husband's STi to Lightspeed next week for a stage 2 (Accessport, catback exhaust, downpipe, drop in filter, custom tune) that is going to run us close to $2600 installed. According to them, this will produce approximately 50whp. If I'm not mistaken to generate an equivalent amount of output from the Evo would cost quite a fraction less.

I'm not sure about the next gen STi but the Evo XI is rumored to possibly be a hybrid/diesel.

That.Guy.S30
01-12-2011, 11:19 PM
Cue Heavy D... lol

I would wait and see what new engine subaru is going to put out. the EJ257 is going to be phased out. Shitty engine from 07-on anways.

Im usually partial to subaru's but I like the new EVO's. Subaru has gone soft.

RY213
01-13-2011, 12:16 AM
*waits for heavy D to bash anything Subaru*

Onassis
01-13-2011, 12:32 AM
They are both on 3 year cycles. The new Lancer and Impreza will debut first and the performance versions later.

There have been a few mules running around, but the Evo has been better with each generation... Subaru not so much (this coming from a guy who's owned every generation of WRX and STI).

georgemagana
01-13-2011, 12:39 AM
I cant remember if the gsr is the tiptronic one but if your looking for the 5 speed fully loaded.. theres not such thing. You either get manual not fully loaded or tiptronic fully loaded. I also heard from my friend that had an sti that doing regular maintenace on the sti is a bitch since it has a boxter engine. He said changing the spark plugs took him a good 6 hours the first time lol

That.Guy.S30
01-13-2011, 12:41 AM
^ are not the imprezas on a 5 year chassis cycle and a 3 year face lift?

wintonyk
01-13-2011, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by georgemagana
I cant remember if the gsr is the tiptronic one but if your looking for the 5 speed fully loaded.. theres not such thing. You either get manual not fully loaded or tiptronic fully loaded. I also heard from my friend that had an sti that doing regular maintenace on the sti is a bitch since it has a boxter engine. He said changing the spark plugs took him a good 6 hours the first time lol

lol subaru quotes .4 hours for spark plugs linky (http://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?WebPageID=5238&WebSiteID=282)

GSR is the 5 speed and MR is has the Twin Clutch sportronic

psycoticclown
01-13-2011, 03:44 AM
Lol, no thread about Evo's would be complete without HeavyD bashing Subaru's haha.

V6-BoI
01-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Onassis
They are both due for major rehauls in the next year or so, I'd wait for the Evo XI and new STI.

Last time I heard the EVO XI is gonna be a turbo hybrid, not too sure how reliable the rumours are though.
http://bydeo.com/style/mitsubishi-lancer-evolution-xi/

I have an 08 EVO GSR, and I love to drive my car. Got an intake, exhaust and tune and the car runs fine and I think it's pretty reliable (although not close to 400 hp though).

But honesetly if I had to choose now between an STi and an EVO, I probably would get an STi over an EVO soley because of the price difference. I understand that the EVO X does have a new engine design as well as a more sophisticated AWD system than the STi, but I don't think I'm THAT big of a car enthusiast to be able to appreciate it. When I bought my EVO, I saw so many STis on the road I wanted something that no one had, so I didn't even consider the STi. And also because I wasn't digging the hatchback look, but now it totally grew on me.

CapnCrunch
01-13-2011, 10:50 AM
I don't know much about either car, but I have 10 times more faith in Subaru than Mitsubishi.

Kartelli
01-13-2011, 11:09 AM
I had the same dilemma as you, I owned a 06 STi for 3 years and I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

STi's are easy to work on, cheap to maintain, and have a slight advantage in terms of better quality of parts. If we comparing pricing on performance parts, the bang for your buck value goes to the EVO, by a slight margin.

For 2k in performance parts I had mine running at 280 whp and 320 wtrq. Very quick for a daily driver. I've driven the new hatchback STi's and they have improved every aspect of what I hated in my 06 including suspension, interior, and sun roof.

You won't regret it :)

heavyD
01-13-2011, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
I don't know much about either car, but I have 10 times more faith in Subaru than Mitsubishi.

I'm the opposite. Mitsubishi builds a better engine than Subaru, always has. Since they don't have to outsource their turbochargers their turbocharged cars come with higher tech turbochargers as well. The EVO costs more because it's a higher tech car than the STI from the AWD system, transmission, engine, suspension, Recaros, etc. Subaru is selling the same car they sold here in 2004 so they can afford to make it cheaper as you are paying for decade old technology.

If you have to have a Subaru save your money and get the WRX especially now that they look nearly identical. The STI isn't that great a performer for the premium it carries over the WRX. Check out the latest Car & Driver Lightning lap and draw your own conclusions if all that extra money is worth a slower car in the straight line and marginally faster around a track. It seems the only thing the WRX needs to outrun the STI around a track is better brakes.

HiTempguy1
01-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Oh lulz. /thread

Barlow
01-13-2011, 01:56 PM

I'm the opposite. Mitsubishi builds a better engine than Subaru, always has. Since they don't have to outsource their turbochargers their turbocharged cars come with higher tech turbochargers as well. The EVO costs more because it's a higher tech car than the STI from the AWD system, transmission, engine, suspension, Recaros, etc. Subaru is selling the same car they sold here in 2004 so they can afford to make it cheaper as you are paying for decade old technology.

If you have to have a Subaru save your money and get the WRX especially now that they look nearly identical. The STI isn't that great a performer for the premium it carries over the WRX. Check out the latest Car & Driver Lightning lap and draw your own conclusions if all that extra money is worth a slower car in the straight line and marginally faster around a track. It seems the only thing the WRX needs to outrun the STI around a track is better brakes.

You know why Mitsubishi gives a 10 year warranty right?

heavyD
01-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Barlow
You know why Mitsubishi gives a 10 year warranty right?

Not in the EVO they don't and if their cars were shit they would be out of business giving out 10 year warranties. Could you imagine if BMW and Audi/VW gave out 10 year warranties? They would be out of business in a year. Mitsubishi does it because they can. Hyundai does it to. It's called having faith in your product.

carzcraz
01-13-2011, 02:08 PM

Not in the EVO they don't and if their cars were shit they would be out of business giving out 10 year warranties. Could you imagine if BMW and Audi/VW gave out 10 year warranties? They would be out of business in a year. Mitsubishi does it because they can. Hyundai does it to. It's called having faith in your product.

My thoughts exactly. Both our 3 and 5 series BMWs (both dealership maintained) did not make it to 1 year past warranty without requiring pricey repairs, hence why we sold them :(

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-13-2011, 02:23 PM
Coming from an STi owner (mind you, I own an 04), based on the 2011 STi's... Buy an EVO X, you won't be disappointed. The only thing subaru has been updating is the looks. The drivetrain is the same old engine/transmission as my 04, with the same amount of power.

heavyD
01-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
Coming from an STi owner (mind you, I own an 04), based on the 2011 STi's... Buy an EVO X, you won't be disappointed. The only thing subaru has been updating is the looks. The drivetrain is the same old engine/transmission as my 04, with the same amount of power.

Exactly and that's not to slight the 04-07 STI's which are great cars and arguably more raw/performance oriented than the 08+ models but it's 2011 now. If you have to have an STI, save your money and wait until the next generation comes out as it will have an all-new engine, likely (hopefully) an updated AWD system with torque vectoring like the EVO X and GTR, and maybe a twin clutch auto (for those that would want it). The 2011 models are old cars selling at new car prices and once the new gen comes out the market will be flooded with used 2010/2011 STI's as owners will all want the first all-new STI in over a decade.

kenny
01-13-2011, 02:53 PM
Sales guy at Centaur on why Subaru cars have become so dated:

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

:rofl:

I guess he is sort of right, people are still buying the cars.

SideSwipe
01-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Forgive me if i sound ignorant, im not trying to be. I just want to gather as much information as possible. I want to know that im getting to.
--> I could wait, but I havent heard anything but rumours from mitsubishi and subaru. 2012 and 2013 may only be one to two years away... but ONE TO TWO YEARS of waiting for what? I would also like to sell my stuff and not throw it away...

As soon as one vehicle sells i have to do something or I will be taking horses into calgary

I do understand what your all saying... I do know that its a user-preference thing.... but i just wanted to know (because i dont really follow these car a huge amount; will be my first japanese car) what i should to pointed towards in terms of the things that im looking for: Mod-friendlyness and reliability - the two opposing and contradictory paradox forces. From the looks of it (based on everything im reading from different forums and your opinions) i should be looking at Evos over wrx's.

... only thing to do now is get some seat time.

Xamim
01-13-2011, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by SideSwipe
Forgive me if i sound ignorant, im not trying to be. I just want to gather as much information as possible. I want to know that im getting to. I could wait, but I havent heard anything but rumours from mitsubishi and subaru. 2012 and 2013 may only be one to two years away... but ONE TO TWO YEARS of waiting for what? I would also like to sell my stuff and not throw it away...

That's the thing about waiting. I'll use the STIs as an example.
2008: Hatchback version comes out. Ringland issue is not fixed. People say wait and see if Subaru does anything about it.
2010: New interior, some people still have problems with the engine. People say to wait for 2011.
2011: Face lift, sedan is out, new downpipe design and better suspension. Subaru says new WRX is to come. People say wait for the new car.

It is like a never ending circle. The longer you wait, the longer you are not driving the car you wanted in the first place. I bet when the new WRX is out, it will have problems... just like any other new re-designed model. So you will end up waiting to see if they fix it.

Is the EVO a better option? Yes. Is the STI the same car that it was in 2004? Pretty damn close. Each car has an up side and a down side. You go for the one that is targeted for your life style. I know it sounds like I'm bashing the STI, but I have done some research and there are better options than the STI. I accept that, and will be looking for a 2010 STI this summer.:love:

OP, make a list of things you want your next car to do. Test drive both cars and see what you like in terms of performance and the general "feel" of the vehicle. Then pick one.

Khalil.e
01-13-2011, 07:06 PM
Evo - CF hood - spoiler delete - bolt ons and reflash

:drool:

A3GTiVR6SC
01-13-2011, 07:44 PM
LOL@CapnCrunch!:nut:

CapnCrunch
01-13-2011, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by A3GTiVR6SC
LOL@CapnCrunch!:nut:

LOL!!!!

911fever
01-16-2011, 07:54 PM
hahahahahaha @ heavyD

jonnycat
01-17-2011, 02:50 PM
Evo is the better track car. Sti is the better day to day car.

The second I looked in the Evo's trunk, it was over.

http://image.modified.com/f/17369851+w750+st0/0801_sccp_04_z+2008_mitsubishi_lancer_evolution_x+trunk.jpg

vs.

http://www.scoobyblog.com/uploads/2007/12/2008-subaru-impreza-wrx-sti_edmunds-14.jpg

SideSwipe
01-18-2011, 06:53 PM
well.... i got a wrx sti. hatchback. black. Modifying may not be as easy as an evo, but I liked the 6-speed and driver controls. and the hatchback just looks good in person. and it sounds nice. I thought it was a pretty good choice (and deal)...

Only things i want to do (over the summer or something) are sway-bars, exhaust, and intake, and a mild tune just to compensate for the intake and exhaust. And rims. defiantly some rims... maybe some lime green gram lights 57motorsports :nut: ...or prodrive GT2's... something crazy.

eh, whatever breaks i fix and replace with a better part.

PD77
01-18-2011, 06:56 PM
Congrats!

jsn
01-18-2011, 07:09 PM
Congrats. If you're going to be getting a full exhaust (including downpipe), you should get it tuned by AIRBOY on WSC (western subaru club). Should be equivalent or better than COBB stage 2 and it'll give you some decent amount of power.

ArjayAquino
01-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Congrats! gotta love the boxer rumble.

Originally posted by jsn
Congrats. If you're going to be getting a full exhaust (including downpipe), you should get it tuned by AIRBOY on WSC (western subaru club). Should be equivalent or better than COBB stage 2 and it'll give you some decent amount of power.

To add to this, Airboy was a tuner for Rocket Rally so he def. knows his shit. People that have been tuned by him say it's night and day difference, even when they already had a Cobb tune.

heavyD
01-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Congrats on the new car. I'm sure you will be happy.

Muji
01-18-2011, 07:39 PM

If today one buys a 2011 Mits with a ten year warranty and then decides to sell the car six months later, does the remaining warranty of 9.5 years transfer?

anschutz_92
01-18-2011, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Muji

If today one buys a 2011 Mits with a ten year warranty and then decides to sell the car six months later, does the remaining warranty of 9.5 years transfer?

Yes. The 10 year warranty does not apply to the EVO or Ralliart though.

Muji
01-18-2011, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by anschutz_92

Yes. The 10 year warranty does not apply to the EVO or Ralliart though.

Interesting, I recently discovered some auto makers do not keep the transfer terms. Still decent from Mits., ten years is a long time.

V6-BoI
01-18-2011, 09:10 PM
Congrats on the car!

Originally posted by jonnycat
Evo is the better track car. Sti is the better day to day car.

The second I looked in the Evo's trunk, it was over.

http://image.modified.com/f/17369851+w750+st0/0801_sccp_04_z+2008_mitsubishi_lancer_evolution_x+trunk.jpg

vs.

http://www.scoobyblog.com/uploads/2007/12/2008-subaru-impreza-wrx-sti_edmunds-14.jpg

Heh the trunk of the evo is super ass small, but surprisingly I was able to fit 2 sets of golf clubs in the trunk. Heh I might even be able to fit a third set.

psycoticclown
01-19-2011, 01:57 AM
Congrats on the new car!

Accord_tunerx
01-19-2011, 02:27 AM
nice, congrats. i want one so bad, damn funds.

X_EVO_X
01-19-2011, 12:52 PM
Congrats on the sti man , thanks again for the chance to show you the evo. Glad you were impressed with it at least! bring the sti by if you are in the area :D

X_EVO_X
01-19-2011, 12:52 PM
Congrats on the sti man , thanks again for the chance to show you the evo. Glad you were impressed with it at least! bring the sti by if you are in the area :D