PDA

View Full Version : The First Undersea Colony

freshprince1
01-13-2011, 10:53 AM
Apparently an undersea colony is being planned and will start up in July of 2012. They claim this is not an outpost or a hotel, but the first time people intend to move underwater and live there with no intentions of ever living on dry land again.

Very interesting.

"2012, Three Aquanauts...will submerge in the Leviathan Habitat and set a new world’s record for uninterrupted stay beneath the surface shattering the previous record of 69 days set by Aquanaut Rick Presley. Rotating in five day visits, 24 other aquanauts will rotate through the Leviathan including scientists, teachers, journalists...Then in 2014 or before, the Challenger Station habitat – the largest manned undersea habitat ever built, will be launched off the Florida coast and establish the first permanent undersea human colony. Our efforts do not represent an underwater hotel, not an outpost or a way-station, not a laboratory. We are a human community. We are the first humans who will move there and stay with no intention of ever calling dry land our home again. We represent the first generation of a people who will live out their lives beneath the sea."

Do you think it will last? Will it be viable? I've only read a tiny bit of the website...

http://underseacolony.com/core/mainhub.html

edit: Pardon the spelling mistake in the thread title.
edit2: I saw this on Reddit, the lead Scientist is doing a "AMA" (Ask Me Anything). Very interesting guy.
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/f1j6u/i_am_a_nasa_bioengineer_and_my_story_was_picked/

JfuckinC
01-13-2011, 11:01 AM
Why the fuck would you even want to do that haha...

Tik-Tok
01-13-2011, 11:06 AM
Sure, it ain't one of those la-dee-da above ground places, but if you like dank, ehhh, forget about it!

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/TykTauk/dank.png

Jlude
01-13-2011, 11:26 AM
This is very interesting. I wonder how much attention this will get.

spikerS
01-13-2011, 11:29 AM
my question is how is it funded.

to never go back to the surface. How are they planning for supplies and the like? Who are the financial backers, and why are they backing it if there is no research or revenue generation?

it seems kinda sketchy to me.

freshprince1
01-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by spikers
my question is how is it funded.

to never go back to the surface. How are they planning for supplies and the like? Who are the financial backers, and why are they backing it if there is no research or revenue generation?

it seems kinda sketchy to me.

I agree, but it seems as though they have funding. And I don't think they'll never go back to visit the surface, but they will live underground.

I too made the false assumption that they would be forsaking the surface for the rest of their lives, but the way the guy is making it out to sound like is as though it is just like any other township in Florida, just underwater. So people will live there, but if they want to take a vacation and go to Disneyland with the kids, then by all means, they are allowed. Plus, at this point it is a NASA prject, so I assume they are getting some good funding from them.

Feruk
01-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Why would anyone wanna live under the sea? I love fresh breathable air, being able to walk around outside, and birds (especially in a bucket).

I get the research angle and see why NASA is backing it, but I doubt NASA would back a permanent underwater colony. Although, it seems they do everything except go to space now, so who knows.

ZenOps
01-13-2011, 12:55 PM
Different strokes for different folks.

Some people like hot sticky and wet. :poosie:

1barA4
01-13-2011, 01:27 PM
If they can't spell Earth correctly, I wouldn't trust them to do anything....

We do not intent to establish a base or an outpost, but a human colony whose primary purpose it is to monitor and protect this most essential of all the arth's biomes.

That sort of thing might fly on arth but not on Earth.

Kloubek
01-13-2011, 01:42 PM
Hope they bring a large supply of vitamin D tablets...

syeve
01-13-2011, 04:25 PM
I can see the relevance. Stephen Hawking says that our time on this planet is limited and the only way for the human race to survive past the next few hundred years will be through colonies not of this planet. Why not start now.

Kardon
01-13-2011, 04:31 PM
Do you think they will build an undersea nurburgring?

CapnCrunch
01-13-2011, 04:33 PM
What better way to come out of the closet than to go live underwater with 2 other people.

Anomaly
01-13-2011, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by freshprince1

I agree, but it seems as though they have funding.

I don't know, the website looks like it's from 1996...

ZyaL8R
01-13-2011, 06:26 PM
Seeing as how I've been playing bioshock again... Bad idea! Ahaha

old&slow
01-13-2011, 06:38 PM
Rediculars!

Modelexis
01-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Can't drive gas powered cars in this colony, for that reason, I'm out.

http://www.cbc.ca/programguide/images/program/d/dragons_den_program.jpg

J-hop
01-13-2011, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by syeve
I can see the relevance. Stephen Hawking says that our time on this planet is limited and the only way for the human race to survive past the next few hundred years will be through colonies not of this planet. Why not start now.

great point. As my old geology teacher put it, humans will make great index fossils!!

This is a great idea IMO, by starting colonies like this we can determine the feasibility of moon/space colonies while still being able to relatively easily back pedal if things don't work out.

there is still a lot we don't know about living in space, not only in terms of the feasibility of it but also in terms of societal/psychological aspects. I think this is one of the safest/least costly ways of going about researching this. (but I guess as usual this does bring into consideration ethical issues, say if a child was born down there when should they be given the choice to stay/leave)

rx7boi
01-15-2011, 04:48 AM
New(ish) frontiers for mankind and they had a 10 year old make that website? Haha