PDA

View Full Version : UC nickel and diming students at its finest

tlapec
01-13-2011, 01:45 PM
So today I received this email from UC, anyone else think it's pathetic to ask students for $2.00 four month after the term ended.:banghead:

Dear Student,

The University charges and collects some fees on behalf of your Students’ Union.

You were charged $20.50 for Student Union General Fees in Spring Term 2010, Summer Term 2010, or both. The Students’ Union tells us the proper rate was $21.50 per term.

So that we can pass this money on to your Students’ Union, we have corrected the Spring Term and Summer Term charges. The additional $1.00, or $2.00, has been added to your account. These charges are due by the Winter fee payment deadline of January 28, 2011.

I regret any inconvenience this may have caused you.

sputnik
01-13-2011, 01:48 PM
That's not the U of C nickel and diming you... its the student union not being good at math.

hkcivic2k2
01-13-2011, 01:51 PM
A dollar per student x the thousands of students at the university is a substantial amount.

Look at the bigger picture

LongCity
01-13-2011, 01:56 PM
Don't the SU fee go towards paying for their salaries for doing nothing for the students...?

rage2
01-13-2011, 02:00 PM
WTF does the student union do?

kvg
01-13-2011, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by LongCity
Don't the SU fee go towards paying for their salaries for doing nothing for the students...?

Originally posted by rage2
WTF does the student union do?

I never saw any benefit to having a student union. :dunno:

kaput
01-13-2011, 02:08 PM

LongCity
01-13-2011, 02:18 PM
They don't do shit.
I pay a fucking lab and instruct equipment fee but I don't even have a damn lab this semester!
There's also the school newspaper fee...

Edit: So... since we are paying for their salaries shouldn't we have the authority to fire their asses?

Phenix
01-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of university of calgary. The whole friggin place is crooked

jwslam
01-13-2011, 02:29 PM
SU fees were always optional weren't they?

nobb
01-13-2011, 02:34 PM
Would it be possible to argue and be able to opt out of this BS SU fee? Better yet, get 4 years worth of SU fees refunded (yea right). These guys really dont do jackshit.

LongCity
01-13-2011, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by jwslam
SU fees were always optional weren't they?

Don't think so. I think the only thing that was optional was the health care fees but I could be wrong.

cream
01-13-2011, 03:04 PM
You know what's even worse? You guys know how every semester, we have a Clubs week. Anyways my sister is a VP Finance of one. Most clubs 'lock' their money in the school lockers. (Don't know which one) But obviously, SU has the key to get into each and every locker. Long story short, for the past 3 years she has been with the club, every single year after they return the next day to grab their cash box, they are short. Her club and ATLEAST 3 other clubs have been short on cash aswell.. (since she is friend's their the other VP Finances) SU is just full of scum..
:thumbsdow :thumbsdow

desi112
01-13-2011, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by cream
You know what's even worse? You guys know how every semester, we have a Clubs week. Anyways my sister is a VP Finance of one. Most clubs 'lock' their money in the school lockers. (Don't know which one) But obviously, SU has the key to get into each and every locker. Long story short, for the past 3 years she has been with the club, every single year after they return the next day to grab their cash box, they are short. Her club and ATLEAST 3 other clubs have been short on cash aswell.. (since she is friend's their the other VP Finances) SU is just full of scum..
:thumbsdow :thumbsdow

if money has gone missing 3-years in a row, maybe its time to move the location?

Sugarphreak
01-13-2011, 03:48 PM

Afrodeziak
01-13-2011, 05:34 PM
They are there to represent the students on "student matters" and to be on the board during meetings. If you want a student voice, then get in touch with SU reps.. I don't even go to the UofC, I just consider most of the comments here to be full of apathy.

Although I do think it is lame they are asking for the difference after the fact.

FraserB
01-13-2011, 05:50 PM
Pay it in dirty pennies.