PDA

View Full Version : Bathtub "overlays"

Toma
01-13-2011, 05:28 PM
I've seen this in ads, and there was a demo at the mall years ago.

Anyone have it done?? What does it cost?

I'm renoig a older 50's house with a good shape metal yellow tub. Would be nice if it looked more modern and was deeper...

Or.... any of you guys talented enough to R&R a bathtub?

C_Dave45
01-13-2011, 05:56 PM
You CAN refinish/re-enamel it another colour. I had to get one repaired (few chips) and it was around $250. A whole tub will be a bit more. But you can get a whole new acrylic tub, installed, for around $500.

sputnik
01-13-2011, 06:01 PM
If the tub and surround are in good shape... I would just get it resprayed.

We did it at my grandmothers house (originally blue tub and tile) and it worked and looked great. Much cheaper than the bathfitters people and none of the mess of having to repair the surrounding tile when the tub is replaced.

Toma
01-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
You CAN refinish/re-enamel it another colour. I had to get one repaired (few chips) and it was around $250. A whole tub will be a bit more. But you can get a whole new acrylic tub, installed, for around $500.

Yeah, metal tubs just suck. The water doesn't stay as warm, and the old ones are very shallow.

If a new acrylic tub and install is only $500, I would go that way.

You guys got any recommendations for who to call?

C_Dave45
01-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
If the tub and surround are in good shape... I would just get it resprayed.

We did it at my grandmothers house (originally blue tub and tile) and it worked and looked great. Much cheaper than the bathfitters people and none of the mess of having to repair the surrounding tile when the tub is replaced.

yeah, if you're not replacing the tile, I would go this route. They look brand new once they're re-enameled. But if you're reno'ing the bathroom and ripping out the tile anyways, then definitely go for a new tub.

ddduke
01-13-2011, 06:26 PM
c_dave45, Do you know anyone that does this that I could get a quote from?

Toma
01-13-2011, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by ddduke
c_dave45, Do you know anyone that does this that I could get a quote from?
Kijiji has a couple guys, one guy said $380 for a tub reglaze

rinny
01-16-2011, 06:30 PM
Anybody ever think of Vinyl Wrapping?

I was thinking of this idea for my older amber-colored tub, I just dont know who designs/prints it and I doubt it'd be cost-effective.

But, if a guy could think of a neutral type design I cant see that it would be a bad idea?