PDA

View Full Version : 3/4 Inch PEX drop ear locally? Pluming question

eblend
01-13-2011, 08:56 PM
Hi guys,

Trying to find 3/4 inch PEX drop ear with female thread just like this

http://www.pexuniverse.com/store/product/34-x-34-brass-pex-drop-ear-elbows

but all I see in home depot and totem is 1/2 inch pex part. Anyone know where I can find 3/4 inch locally?

Reason I need the 3/4 inch stuff is because I want to replace my 1/2 pipe that goes to the bathtub faucet with 3/4 inch stuff, as currently the water is dripping from the shower head when filling up the tub with the faucet.

Thanks

spacerz
01-13-2011, 09:13 PM
I am pretty sure that your main control is faulty, not the piping going to the shower head (which is what is causing the leak). If you have moen, delta, etc. controls they have lifetime warranty and will switch it out for a new one (free of charge).

If I am reading your post wrong I apologize. You should be able to find that fitting at frontier plumbing supply or at the plumbful warehouse in calgary (32nd st. NE.).

eblend
01-13-2011, 09:33 PM
I read online and people said that the reason that the water is dripping is because the 1/2 pex is not big enough to allow the flow of water simply due to gravity and water pressure, so the water builds up slowly and drains out of the shower head, much like when you block the faucet with the trap to redirect the water to the shower head, instead it is being partially blocked due to not having a large enough pipe to feed the water out. read online about it, didn't think it would be a problem for me, but it happened

spacerz
01-14-2011, 12:05 AM
Huh, that is the first I have ever heard of that. I would be curious to see if it actually works. Anyways, one of those two places will surely have what you are looking for.

black_shadow_18
01-15-2011, 09:35 AM
i have bought one of those 3/4 inch PEX adapters at home depot. i just did it in my basement a few months ago. try different locations, every one carries different stock.

eblend
01-15-2011, 09:57 AM
Thanks guys, was able to find something that would work at Frontier plumbing as suggested, not exactly what I wanted but will work.

Found a 3/4 pex to 3/4 thread. and then they have a 3/4 thread down to 1/2 inch copper thread adapteer for the screw pipe. Will try today to see if things will fit, as the adapter adds like 3/4 of an inch to the lenght, otherwise will try rona and other home depots as suggested, as I thought i did see them at the NE home depot, but not in the one in the SW, but this was long ago and I might have been tripping balls.

thefarnorth
01-15-2011, 10:27 AM
it has nothing to do with the size of pipe you always use 1/2, the rough in thats inside the wall will always only be 1/2, usually you would have a header running through the house in 3/4 and you would tie all your other water lines into it, you probally have faulty valve which means you mite have to cut out the wall behind your tub and replace the hole unit. or just leave it if its not that bad because it could get expensive.

eblend
01-15-2011, 06:37 PM
As suspected, replacing the 1/2 inch pex (all 2 inches of it) between the valve unit and the spout with 3/4 inch stuff fixed all my problems, no more water dripping from the shower head at all. Like I said, it has been brought up before on some other forum when someone posted rought plumbing pictures for suggestions and evaluation, and someone mentioned that that down pipe may cause issues sometimes as it becomes a natural water block (water can't go out fast enough as both hot and cold (1/2 inch pex) are trying to crap through 1/2 inch pex to fill the tub. Since shower flow is controlled by a mechanical water block (just slides in front of water to block it from going out), the water is redirected upwards (against the flow of gravity), upgrading to a bigger pipe at the bottom allows the water to escape fast enough that it doesn't start to back up and drip out of the shower head.

This may not be the case for all shower valve controls, but mine was like this, and it was a brand new unit with a large shower head. I guess the recommendation is that you should put a bigger pipe at the bottom and you sure won't have problems, instead of risking it and then having to redo it.