PDA

View Full Version : Reconditioning Costs?

codetrap
01-14-2011, 09:34 AM
I'm looking at trading in my 2006 Jetta Wagon TDI, and one of the dealers I was talking to started going on about reconditioning costs, and the 128 point inspection. I can understand that, but I keep the car immaculate. The only thing I can see them having to replace is maybe brake shoes, and I was planning on doing that at the next maintenance anyways.

So, really, anyone out there working at a dealer can tell me really what's involved?

Oh, and it was the Hyundai guy that told me this, but the Country Hills Toyota had a similar line.

J-hop
01-16-2011, 04:00 PM
interesting, I guess that is the stealership for you, I can see that they don't want to take on a lemon, that is understandable, however I think they should have to incur any inspection costs.

But dealerships are in the business of making money, they will never give you a fair value for your car and this reconditioning BS (quick inspection and a wash/vacuum I bet) is just an excuse.

max_boost
01-16-2011, 05:45 PM
Maybe the dealer is trying to be more thorough? All your maintenance up to date? All fluids have been changed? Wear and tear items like brakes and tires are in good condition, no cracks in the windshield etc. It could also include a full interior/exterior details?

Anytime you trade in your car you are going to get hosed so I would always try selling privately first.

lachris
01-16-2011, 05:58 PM
As someone who works at a "stealership" as you call it I can tell you that most of the time the reconditioning costs are fair. we just took a vehicle on trade and the customer swore up and down that the thing is mint. When all was said and done we sunk about 3k into the car to get it ready to sell. There is more to reconditioning than just washing it. We have to inspect it and repair anything that would jeopardize safety. I know that there are some shady dealerships, however you can protect yourself by knowing your rights as a consumer. Look into AMVIC.

Yes you will get more money by selling it privately. Dealerships are in business and do need to make a profit. most people will take a hit on their car and trade it in out of convenience.

Just my 2 cents. I know there are other sales people on the forum and I'm sure we can all agree that we try to do business fair and ethically. I feel bad for anyone who has been screwed by a dealer, I know I have) but please don't paint us all with the same color of paint.

theken
01-16-2011, 07:53 PM
You work at a dealership, you don't own it, when you leave and get another job you will have a different opinion

black13
01-16-2011, 11:39 PM
I don't see why anyone chooses to trade their vehicle in when they can get a little more privately. I see alot of ads that price their car high firmly and say if it doesn't sell they are gonna trade it in when in reality I highly doubt the dealer will give them even within a couple grand of their asking price for it. Just lower your price just above what dealer is asking and it's bound to sell quick with less hassle and you give someone a good deal instead of giving it away to the dealership.

shynepho
01-17-2011, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
I'm looking at trading in my 2006 Jetta Wagon TDI, and one of the dealers I was talking to started going on about reconditioning costs, and the 128 point inspection. I can understand that, but I keep the car immaculate. The only thing I can see them having to replace is maybe brake shoes, and I was planning on doing that at the next maintenance anyways.

So, really, anyone out there working at a dealer can tell me really what's involved?

Oh, and it was the Hyundai guy that told me this, but the Country Hills Toyota had a similar line.

I just wanted to let you know about www.eurodrivers.ca they started out as a strong VW/Audi only group from Calgary however they now also include interest in other Euros such as BMW. I'm sure you would be able to find a buyer for your car. Perhaps try that forum and also theres another Calgary based VW forum I think it is called something similar to club vee dub I just do not know the exact addy maybe a good search will bring that up.

Redlyne_mr2
01-17-2011, 12:00 PM
I hate dealing with trade ins. Seldom is anyone ever satisfied with their trade in value, not fun for the dealer or the client.

codetrap
01-17-2011, 02:23 PM
I can see why the dealer would hate trade in's, and I agree, it's never a perfectly happy process on all sides. I've already posted mine on Kijiji, and I'm going to post it on a couple of other forums too as well. I just wanted to understand the reconditioning costs portion of it better.

Black13, one of the things to consider is tax saved. If I get offered 14 by the dealer for my Jetta, then I'm reducing the GST by $700. So, really 14 is worth $14700 to me, and the hassle of a private sale. How much is that hassle worth is the other portion of it, plus waiting to get a new car. :)

Aleks
01-19-2011, 12:45 PM
According to BMW average reconditioning cost on their CPO cars for 2009 was ~ $2400.

It really depends on make and model of the car. Some cars you can't even sell privately because no one wants them, so trading it in is a better solution. But my guess is the TDI wagon isn't one of those cars and should generate decent interest.