PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Airport Security Stops 82 Year Old Terrorist

D'z Nutz
01-14-2011, 11:29 AM
I guess common sense gets thrown out the window when you're saving the world :rolleyes:

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2011/01/14/16884201.html

Airport screening upsets cancer survivor
By DAVE DORMER, QMI Agency

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2011/01/14/airport.jpg
Elizabeth Strecker. (Supplied photo)

CALGARY - Reduced to tears while going through screening, an elderly B.C. woman is demanding an apology from Calgary International Airport security officials.

After spending the Christmas holiday with family in Calgary, Elizabeth Strecker, 82, was flying back to her home in Abbotsford on Jan. 4 when she was selected for further screening by security officials and told to go through the full body scanner.

"One guy asked me if I had any liquids or gel on me and I said no," said Strecker.

And that's where the trouble started for the widow who immigrated to Canada from Germany nearly 60 years ago and lived in Calgary for 14 years before retiring to the B.C. city.

A cancer survivor, Strecker had a mastectomy five years ago and now wears a prosthetic breast -- which is made of gel.

When she pointed that out to security officers, Strecker said she was accused of lying when first asked about liquids and gels.

"It was terribly, terribly embarrassing," she said.

"It was really very humiliating.

"I'm an 82-year-old woman, not a terrorist."

While in the full body scanner, Strecker said she was also told to raise her arms above her head, something she can no longer do.

"I told (the security officer) I can not do that (with her left arm) and she said I had to so I yanked it up with my right arm and she said 'you can't do that, you have to keep both arms up.'

"By then I started crying."

Strecker said when the security officials realized she was wearing a medical device, they allowed her to board the plane.

Strecker's Calgarian daughter-in-law, Karin, said it was the lack of respect shown by security officials that was so upsetting.

"She said they kind of laughed at her," said Karin.

"She doesn't mind being checked but it was the lack of respect and being chuckled at."

Canadian Air Transport Security Authority spokesman Mathieu Larocque said an investigation has been launched.

"We were made aware of the incident (Thursday)," he said.

"We have secured video footage, we will look at it and see if the passenger was treated with professionalism, respect and dignity and we will take corrective actions that are appropriate if corrective actions are needed.

"We'll speak with the passenger, we'll speak with the officers involved and we'll look at the video and we will reach a conclusion and take action."

Mitsu3000gt
01-14-2011, 11:36 AM
I'm not sure why she should be treated any differently than anyone else. She probably should have disclosed the gel-filled fake titty, just like my friend who has a metal rod in his leg has to disclose that any time he flies - it's no different.

Seems like they could have been more professional if they were actually laughing at her, but there should be no exceptions when it comes to security on planes, IMO. I've been selected for screen before, and thats perfectly fine as everyone else I'm flying with has a right to know I'm not a terrorist, regardless of my age :).

Again, it seems they may have gone a bit overboard, but I don't see how this was worth a news article, personally.

Freeskier
01-14-2011, 11:40 AM
:facepalm:
This is why we only need to search the brown people.

D'z Nutz
01-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Freeskier

Have you been to the Calgary International Airport? It's the brown people who are doing the searching! :rofl:

Freeskier
01-14-2011, 11:45 AM
^ Haha very true. :rofl:

Phenix
01-14-2011, 11:47 AM
I can't believe this. thats crap!

but i was just through the airport on monday and they weren't using the full body scanner.

Mitsu3000gt
01-14-2011, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Phenix
I can't believe this. thats crap!

but i was just through the airport on monday and they weren't using the full body scanner.

If you're selected, you can pick either the scanner or hand-search. Personally I'd rock the scanner.

BigMass
01-14-2011, 11:49 AM
http://tasty.soylentsoft.com/images/halt_hammerzeit.jpeg

Tik-Tok
01-14-2011, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
She probably should have disclosed the gel-filled fake titty,

She did disclose it, then they called her a liar for not disclosing it earlier. God forbid a 82 year old not be completely on the ball about reporting (or even remembering) something like that.

If you're selected, you can pick either the scanner or hand-search. Personally I'd rock the scanner.

I flew 4 times over the past month, 3 departures from a Canadian city, I counted the people going through the scanner at about 15%.

Funny thing is, up here it seems you either HAVE to have the pat down, or scan. It's not random selection like they are reporting, every person I saw had to have one or the other.

My one US departure, only about 10% of people were taken aside for further inspection (though oddly enough my brown Sri-Lanken co-worker got "randomly" selected)

FraserB
01-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Are you allowed to pick the gender of the officer that does the hand search?

desi112
01-14-2011, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Freeskier
:facepalm:

yup, and leave whitey to oklahoma.

you can't be a terrorist if your white.

Mitsu3000gt
01-14-2011, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

She did disclose it, then they called her a liar for not disclosing it earlier. God forbid a 82 year old not be completely on the ball about reporting (or even remembering) something like that.

As I said, I think they went a little overboard, but it's true that she didn't disclose it right away. I'm not saying at all that she was likely to be a terrorist, but there isn't a maximum age for terrorists, and security shouldn't be handled much differently because of age. If I forgot about a watter bottle in my bag, and it was later found or I later remembered it, I would hope they got suspicious or I would be worrying about what else they may have missed on other people.

I flew 4 times over the past month, 3 departures from a Canadian city, I counted the people going through the scanner at about 15%.

Funny thing is, up here it seems you either HAVE to have the pat down, or scan. It's not random selection like they are reporting, every person I saw had to have one or the other.

My one US departure, only about 10% of people were taken aside for further inspection (though oddly enough my brown Sri-Lanken co-worker got "randomly" selected)

I've flown about 8 times this year, and Europe seemed to have the tightest security. I only saw 1 or 2 people in Calgary get pat down or go through the scanner. In the states, same thing - not many people getting randomly checked. It probably depends as much on who is working that particular day as anything else.

I believe Israel has the best airport security in the world (fewest incidents...I think actually zero but not 100% sure...I just watched a discovery channel show on it lol). Their strategy? Pure behavior analysis and racial profiling.

Supa Dexta
01-14-2011, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by desi112

yup, and leave whitey to oklahoma.

you can't be a terrorist if your white.

OH YEAH! I forgot about that plane he took..

Feruk
01-14-2011, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

Hmm interesting point. I wonder if they'd consider homophobia as a "condition" and let you have a woman search you.

desi112
01-14-2011, 12:19 PM

yes you are, this woman was definatly violated

desi112
01-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

OH YEAH! I forgot about that plane he took..

right because a white terrorist would or never has taken a plane.
can you please think before posting?

list of all hijackings:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_hijackings

more white names then "brown". nice to lump skin color as possible terrorists.

and especially for you supa moron i found this:

1994: FedEx Flight 705 hijacked by disgruntled employee Auburn Calloway as it left Memphis, Tennessee, with the intention of using it as a cruise missile against FedEx HQ. He was subdued by the flight crew before an emergency landing back at Memphis.

Colloway must be a brown man right?

ZenOps
01-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Embarassed a little bit. Well, welcome to the real world. Duh?

At least its not a frat party joke, where you have your head and pubic hairs shaved and covered in shaving cream, tied naked to a post, and have "I am an Oscar Meyer Weiner" in lipstick written across the chest.

And then leave some eggs and chicken feathers, for the whims of the passerbys to gawk at.

If ladies want equality - you got to live up to a little bit of unwanted scrutiny, just like the rest of us.

Gawk, its Rob Anders!

desi112
01-14-2011, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by ZenOps
Embarassed a little bit. Well, welcome to the real world. Duh?

At least its not a frat party joke, where you have your head and pubic hairs shaved and covered in shaving cream, tied naked to a post, and have "I am an Oscar Meyer Weiner" in lipstick written across the chest.

And then leave some eggs and chicken feathers, for the whims of the passerbys to gawk at.

If ladies want equality - you got to live up to a little bit of unwanted scrutiny, just like the rest of us.

Gawk, its Rob Anders!

she's an old lady with a prosthetic breast, she should be given the convinience of a private room atleast.

Gainsbarre
01-14-2011, 12:35 PM
Who honestly feels safer knowing that our resources are being pissed away molesting an 82 year old woman?

I've been treated far better at international (and US!) airports than at Canadian ones...in fact, the last 3 times I've caught a departing flight through a Canadian airport (twice here in Calgary and once in Vancouver), I've been "randomly" pulled aside for secondary screening, despite having never set off the metal detector. This most recent incident (about a month ago) I was informed that I was in the "full search line" and I had the option of the naked scanner, which I suppose is an improvement to some CATSA asshole sneaking up on you to say that you've been "randomly selected" and then proceed to rub you down.

Even at LAX when there was a damn water bottle at the bottom of my backpack last year, the guy at the security screener got me to take it out and gave me the option of drinking it there or tossing it away. I didn't get harassed at all or subjected to additional security screening. Hell, when I got separated from my group (without my passport) at the airport in San Francisco in 2007, I went through security with nothing but a boarding pass and they didn't even lay a hand on me there (they did check my shoes and got me to go through a drug sniffing machine but that was it). It really disgusts me that I'm subjected to the worst treatment in my own damn country.

There have been incidents at airports in Israel -- look up what the Japanese Red Army pulled off at Ben Gurion in the 70's....racial profiling seems to have failed them there.

Gainsbarre
01-14-2011, 12:39 PM

right because a white terrorist would or never has taken a plane.
can you please think before posting?

list of all hijackings:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_hijackings

more white names then "brown". nice to lump skin color as possible terrorists.

and especially for you supa moron i found this:

1994: FedEx Flight 705 hijacked by disgruntled employee Auburn Calloway as it left Memphis, Tennessee, with the intention of using it as a cruise missile against FedEx HQ. He was subdued by the flight crew before an emergency landing back at Memphis.

Colloway must be a brown man right?

Close? Calloway was a black man actually....and there's a really interesting story behind that whole incident that has been made into a few documentaries.

If we're really bent on improving airport security here in Canada, maybe we ought to focus on effective baggage screening? Not one, but two bags containing bombs were allowed to slip through airport security in 1985 in Vancouver and again at Toronto. It only lead to the worst terrorist attack/mass murder against Canada in its history...

Mitsu3000gt
01-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Gainsbarre
There have been incidents at airports in Israel -- look up what the Japanese Red Army pulled off at Ben Gurion in the 70's....racial profiling seems to have failed them there.

That was a plane that came in from a different airport. No plane ever departing from Ben Gurion has ever been hijacked.

Supa Dexta
01-14-2011, 12:41 PM
blah blah

WTF. You're the one who used macveigh as your example. Think before you post, you super moron doodoo head!

ZenOps
01-14-2011, 12:45 PM

she's an old lady with a prosthetic breast, she should be given the convinience of a private room atleast.

Nah, the searchers pat down mens junk all the time... All the time. If every man asked for a private room, the airports would take twice as long to move passengers.

They will pat down a 82 year old mans penis if they have probable cause (I bet a fake testicle would be reason enough)

I say fair game.

desi112
01-14-2011, 12:46 PM

WTF. You're the one who used macveigh as your example. Think before you post, you super moron doodoo head!

wow, you are narrow.

You implied theres no point in searching non-brown people.

I proved white people have and are terrorists.

You said he did'nt commit a hijacking.

I agreed and supplied evidence that your kind has iwth the same intent of those osama fucks.

Accept defeat you uneducated bafoon, you cannot save face.

Did i dumb our conversation down enough for you?

desi112
01-14-2011, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by ZenOps

Nah, the searchers pat down mens junk all the time... All the time. If every man asked for a private room, the airports would take twice as long to move passengers.

They will pat down a 82 year old mans penis if they have probable cause (I bet a fake testicle would be reason enough)

I say fair game.

I'm of the sort that thinks woman should be given extra consideration.

Supa Dexta
01-14-2011, 12:51 PM
I didn't imply shit retard, that was you...

It's pretty clear what I said, he didn't use a plane. If you were bright to begin with, you would have used an example of a white guy hijacking a plane, not use a well known 'white guy terrorist' that didn't use a plane. Good try though.

Gainsbarre
01-14-2011, 12:54 PM

That was a plane that came in from a different airport. No plane ever departing from Ben Gurion has ever been hijacked.

Just pointing out how racial profiling failed them there -- Israeli airport security didn't expect an attack from Japanese / east asian looking men.

I don't think a plane departing from a Canadian airport has ever been hijacked either. But as this incident suggests, I don't think that means that airport security here is perfect either (harassing 82 year old like that...give me a break). There needs to be more emphasis on effective baggage screening and training security personnel -- the two major shortcomings (imo) that lead to the biggest terrorist incident involving Canadian air travel.

desi112
01-14-2011, 01:19 PM
I didn't imply shit retard, that was you...

It's pretty clear what I said, he didn't use a plane. If you were bright to begin with, you would have used an example of a white guy hijacking a plane, not use a well known 'white guy terrorist' that didn't use a plane. Good try though.

you are pathetic. seriously. further resonpse is not needed.

CUG
01-14-2011, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Have you been to the Calgary International Airport? It's the brown people who are doing the searching! :rofl: When I flew out in December I got searched by a black dude. We joked with each other. I loudly told him he could reach a bit higher and that it'd been a while. That weirdo lesbian looking dude looked at me all serious, so I asked him if he wanted to join the party.

Oddly enough the TSA on the way back were actually quite polite this go-round.

Zephyr
01-14-2011, 01:45 PM
I think it's sad that you guys are even justifying them searching citizens like this. "Fair game." Has all this extra security really made us safer? I don't think so. I just hope you guys don't end up like us and have the TSA give you a happy ending before boarding.

Mitsu3000gt
01-14-2011, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Gainsbarre

Just pointing out how racial profiling failed them there -- Israeli airport security didn't expect an attack from Japanese / east asian looking men.

I don't think a plane departing from a Canadian airport has ever been hijacked either. But as this incident suggests, I don't think that means that airport security here is perfect either (harassing 82 year old like that...give me a break). There needs to be more emphasis on effective baggage screening and training security personnel -- the two major shortcomings (imo) that lead to the biggest terrorist incident involving Canadian air travel.

I see your point but it had nothing to do with the security at the Israeli airport, and everything to do with the security at the airport wherever that plane came from. There is no security waiting for you at any airport I know of when you get off of a connecting plane. There is nothing stopping anyone, at any airport, from using weapons at a connecting airport if they get them on the plane in the first place. Nothing failed at the Israeli airport, but it did wherever that plane originated from.

They also do behavior profiling, that is apparently their "main" method. According to the documentary I watched, anyways. It isn't strictly racial.

Why it's impressive is because of the part of the world it's in. I'm sure, like you say, that many other airports have never had a hijacking either but it is less common in North America I would think.

Gainsbarre
01-14-2011, 02:57 PM
Not sure what the norm is nowadays. I did some travelling in December and had stopovers in Seattle-Tacoma and Narita (Japan), where I had to go through a metal detector and have my carry-on baggage screened at each stopover. No BS at either stopover, just put your items on the conveyor belt and walk through the metal detector -- I even got to keep my shoes on in Narita, the women there were surprisingly attractive, and the uniforms that the security personnel had on looked really professional (none of those slobby Sipowitz shirts that CATSA / TSA wear!) :rofl:

I think it's safe to say that very little, if any behaviour profiling was used in this case with the 82 year old woman. Maybe if CATSA personnel were better trained (taught these behaviour profiling skills) they could focus on legitimate threats?

ZenOps
01-14-2011, 03:10 PM
Everyones a suspect nowadays. Terrorists don't necessarily need to board planes themselves, they can just do things like swapout a cellphone battery with an explosive device on a tourist who leaves his phone unattended for a minute.

Elderly are perhaps the most vulnerable to this type of ploy, because they are the least aware and the most trusting. IE: If a terrorist pretending to be a street vendor outside the airport hands them a "free" xmas present of a liquid explosive filled snowglobe and they take it on the plane and no one catches it, who is at fault?

I'd blame the screener, everyone must be screened at equal scrutiny or the system fails utterly. Profiling means nothing.

CUG
01-14-2011, 03:16 PM
You can't officially racially profile, but you should. :rofl:

TorqueDog
01-14-2011, 03:23 PM
I'm not sure why she should be treated any differently than anyone else. She probably should have disclosed the gel-filled fake titty, just like my friend who has a metal rod in his leg has to disclose that any time he flies - it's no different.

Seems like they could have been more professional if they were actually laughing at her, but there should be no exceptions when it comes to security on planes, IMO. I've been selected for screen before, and thats perfectly fine as everyone else I'm flying with has a right to know I'm not a terrorist, regardless of my age :).

Again, it seems they may have gone a bit overboard, but I don't see how this was worth a news article, personally. This shit doesn't make anyone safer. Never has. Doesn't matter how many white, brown, yellow, pink, and orange people you run through the scanner and pat down. Doesn't matter how many fucking tubes of toothpaste, bottled water, cologne, and shaving cream you confiscate from carry on luggage. Doesn't matter how many people's rights and freedoms are violated all to fly on an $89 flight to goddamn Abbotsford, of all places. None of this shit makes anyone safer. This is control by fear, and overzealous, borderline retarded policy all being done to present some sort of pseudo appearance of 'security' to put the most paranoid amongst us at ease, while inconveniencing the rest of us.

I've been flying since I was five. None of this increase in 'security' measures makes me feel any safer than I did before. All it does is frustrate me, force me to arrive at the airport an inordinate amount of time earlier than I used to be required to, and force me to choose between a body scanner or having my balls rubbed by some idiot looking for explosives. I've actually started asking for the pat-down. If I can't enjoy air travel anymore, neither can they.

Toma
01-14-2011, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by BigMass
http://tasty.soylentsoft.com/images/halt_hammerzeit.jpeg

So fucking true it pisses me off...

fucking Nazi's, and their fucking propaganda selling us "fear".

Toma
01-14-2011, 03:49 PM
So the Americans arrange for airplanes to be flown into some buildings, so they can blame brown people, and scare us poor white ppeople into submission.

Fucking cockroaches, only out done by the faggots and cowards that fell for the fear campaign.

Freeskier
01-14-2011, 04:12 PM
I Was being sarcastic...?? difficult to tell :P

Kloubek
01-14-2011, 04:24 PM
This is absolutely disgusting and unfair.

She doesn't look middle eastern whatsoever.

SJW
01-14-2011, 04:31 PM
I'd take the pat down. Never miss a good junk rub.

Mitsu3000gt
01-14-2011, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
This shit doesn't make anyone safer. Never has. Doesn't matter how many white, brown, yellow, pink, and orange people you run through the scanner and pat down. Doesn't matter how many fucking tubes of toothpaste, bottled water, cologne, and shaving cream you confiscate from carry on luggage. Doesn't matter how many people's rights and freedoms are violated all to fly on an $89 flight to goddamn Abbotsford, of all places. None of this shit makes anyone safer. This is control by fear, and overzealous, borderline retarded policy all being done to present some sort of pseudo appearance of 'security' to put the most paranoid amongst us at ease, while inconveniencing the rest of us.

I've been flying since I was five. None of this increase in 'security' measures makes me feel any safer than I did before. All it does is frustrate me, force me to arrive at the airport an inordinate amount of time earlier than I used to be required to, and force me to choose between a body scanner or having my balls rubbed by some idiot looking for explosives. I've actually started asking for the pat-down. If I can't enjoy air travel anymore, neither can they.

What would you suggest they do for security then? Nothing?

It's never taken me more than 10-15 min to fully clear security, I don't see it as a very big inconvenience. It's probably worse at some big, major airports though.

403Gemini
01-14-2011, 04:42 PM

Heh, when I was stuck in Harrisburg for about 8 hours (stupid weather delays!) , my friend kept having to go out of the airport to smoke then back through security, well near the end of the night there was maybe 4 people working and the one ushering people through the metal detector was a pretty smoking chick, well needless to say we took a ton more smoke breaks hoping to get searched :rofl: . If one of the other guys were to step around to do the search I probably would have tried to request her to do it.

Yes... that is all there was to do in fucking Harrisburg :rofl:

CUG
01-14-2011, 05:56 PM
It's really too bad that extremist muslims from Al-Queda/Taliban had to fly airplanes into the Twin Towers. Look what's happened? I can't believe how some people think anything else other than that happened. That's the price of being able to think though I suppose.

Toma
01-14-2011, 06:29 PM

It's never taken me more than 10-15 min to fully clear security, I don't see it as a very big inconvenience. It's probably worse at some big, major airports though.

First, no full body scans/x rays/whatever.

I am good with a quick metal detector, a polite "yes sir, no sir, and please", instead of being herded like cattle.

The liquids/jelly thing... needs the limit increases slightly to cover common sizes of products.

That's about all the "security" we need, or is necessary.

sr20s14zenki
01-14-2011, 06:36 PM
Ill go thru the body scanner, and ill jiggle my junk for them too. Chuckling at the poor lady is absolutely disgraceful. Shame on them. :thumbsdow

HiTempguy1
01-14-2011, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by CUG
It's really too bad that extremist muslims from Al-Queda/Taliban had to fly airplanes into the Twin Towers. Look what's happened? I can't believe how some people think anything else other than that happened. That's the price of being able to think though I suppose.

I always assumed you debated/argued with Toma for shits and giggles. He's about as crazy as Zen0ps (I've been on Beyond longer than I remember you have been CUG) and Toma has always been batshit insane. He may know how to tune a car, but fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. :nut:

LollerBrader
01-14-2011, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
I guess common sense gets thrown out the window when you're saving the world :rolleyes:

Common sense can only be exercised with discretion, which the frontline, procedure-bound staff at the airport aren't allowed sufficient latitude to exercise.

:rolleyes:

LollerBrader
01-14-2011, 11:43 PM

Ah, a false dilemma. Either submit to onerous security checks, or irresponsibly do absolutely nothing, for these are the facile choices offered to us by Mitsu3000gt.

I choose door #3: Re-allocate funds to humint, as per the oft-repeated recommendations of security expert Bruce Schneier.

TorqueDog
01-15-2011, 11:24 AM

It's never taken me more than 10-15 min to fully clear security, I don't see it as a very big inconvenience. It's probably worse at some big, major airports though. See Toma and LollerBrader's posts.

canadian_hustla
01-15-2011, 11:36 AM
i just came back from a trip to LV and on the way there the Calgary Airport Authority gave me the option to go through the x ray scanner, or to have a manual pat down. They said the xray was quicker so i chose that one

i am surprised that they didn't give this lady the same choice

oh, and i am white

BigMass
01-15-2011, 12:02 PM
This shit doesn't make anyone safer. Never has. Doesn't matter how many white, brown, yellow, pink, and orange people you run through the scanner and pat down. Doesn't matter how many fucking tubes of toothpaste, bottled water, cologne, and shaving cream you confiscate from carry on luggage. Doesn't matter how many people's rights and freedoms are violated all to fly on an $89 flight to goddamn Abbotsford, of all places. None of this shit makes anyone safer. This is control by fear, and overzealous, borderline retarded policy all being done to present some sort of pseudo appearance of 'security' to put the most paranoid amongst us at ease, while inconveniencing the rest of us.

http://www.nehp.net/~markbeem/kane_clap.gif

It’s nothing more than a control mechanism through terror and fear. It’s a demonstration to the people that they must bow down to authority and learn to be herded like cattle. War on Terror, War on Drugs, War on Poverty… The Great Society. All made up, abstract, unquantifiable and most of all unwinnable. Airport security is just a test run for what we’ll soon have in public buildings, schools, sports arenas and other places of gathering. It never was about keeping anyone safe, it’s about keeping people in line, subordinate and conditioning them to accept being treated like slaves.

'Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.' Benjamin Franklin, 'Pennsylvania Assembly: Reply to the Governor,' November 11, 1755."

atgilchrist
01-15-2011, 12:26 PM
At the Calgary airport, and I'm assuming most Canadian airports, when you show the first security person your boarding pass, you are standing on a mat that randomly picks 1 in x many people to go through the random check line. And then everyone in line 3 (or whichever) gets the pat-down or body scanner.

Unfortunately, this 82 year old was one of the random people to get placed in this line. Do I think the policies and illusion of security are ridiculous, yes, as is the inability for the people on scene to exhibit any discretion.

Tik-Tok
01-15-2011, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by atgilchrist
At the Calgary airport, and I'm assuming most Canadian airports, when you show the first security person your boarding pass, you are standing on a mat that randomly picks 1 in x many people to go through the random check line. And then everyone in line 3 (or whichever) gets the pat-down or body scanner.

Unfortunately, this 82 year old was one of the random people to get placed in this line. Do I think the policies and illusion of security are ridiculous, yes, as is the inability for the people on scene to exhibit any discretion.

Both times I departed Calgary in the past month, there were no random picks. Everyone was either patted down, or scanned.

Gainsbarre
01-15-2011, 12:48 PM

Both times I departed Calgary in the past month, there were no random picks. Everyone was either patted down, or scanned.

When I was catching a departing flight at Calgary on December 8th (around 4-5am), I was lucky enough to be in line #4 -- the "full search line"! It looked like the process was to send people to each line (1 to 4) until it was "full" -- the people in front of me and the people behind me were subjected to the same "full search" line treatment.

I also noticed that the CATSA people are making feeble attempts at being bilingual now. Them saying "bonjour" reminded me of that Simpsons episode when Groundskeeper Willie was trying to teach the French class. I'll respond to them next time by saying something crude in French and see if I can get a reaction (I highly doubt it).

C_Dave45
01-15-2011, 01:06 PM
This shit doesn't make anyone safer. Never has. Doesn't matter how many white, brown, yellow, pink, and orange people you run through the scanner and pat down...etc etc.

Nicely put!! Here's an example of our "stellar" security at YYC:

Wife and I are flying down to Vegas. We go through the scanner, she puts her carry-on purse through scanner...no problems. Fairly thorough 'pat down'...no problems. Off we go to Vegas.
NOW....we're returning and going through McCarran security. Her purse goes through the scanner (yes, the very same purse that went through YYC, and AFTER she was asked "any knives, weapons? etc") All of a sudden we hear the operator yell "KNIFE!!!" and security guards come rushing over to us. We're looking around like "WTF...who's the moron with a knife in their bag". IT'S US!!!!! Apparently she had one of those .99 cent keychain lockblade knives you get at Canadian Tire, and it had slipped down to the most bottom corner of her purse, and had been there for months. But clearly visible in the x-ray scanner. She wasn't even aware she had it. Security confiscated it of course, and were nice enough to let us proceed. But WAY TO GO CALGARY....nice job on discovering this weapon!

There's your so-called "extra security" that we're paying millions of dollars for.

PD77
01-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Does anyone have experience with taking children through? We are heading to Florida next month with a 5 and 2 year old and am curious what to expect.

DayGlow
01-15-2011, 02:08 PM
Someone else's children on the other side.

PD77
01-15-2011, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow
Someone else's children on the other side.

Do I get to choose?

Zephyr
01-18-2011, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by PD77
Does anyone have experience with taking children through? We are heading to Florida next month with a 5 and 2 year old and am curious what to expect.

VN6pJ7nP1yA

So should Catholic priests become TSA agents? I mean at least they can do this legally...

403Gemini
01-18-2011, 12:46 AM
I know a lot of it is completely blown out of proportion and I totally agree with you guys, but to play devils advocate:

If a person smuggled weapons or drugs on an elderly person or child, and security didn't check - wouldn't we all be waving our torches and pitch forks at airport security for not doing their jobs?

Isn't that Asian kid getting past airport security with and elderly mans plastic mask proof enough that elderly people are generally overlooked?

Again, this is just me playing devils advocate :devil:

Zephyr
01-18-2011, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
I know a lot of it is completely blown out of proportion and I totally agree with you guys, but to play devils advocate:

If a person smuggled weapons or drugs on an elderly person or child, and security didn't check - wouldn't we all be waving our torches and pitch forks at airport security for not doing their jobs?

Isn't that Asian kid getting past airport security with and elderly mans plastic mask proof enough that elderly people are generally overlooked?

Again, this is just me playing devils advocate :devil:

http://i.imgur.com/dxv08.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/iE0iF.jpg

Seriously, all this fear for "safer" security. So to be safer we need to give up more rights?

But of course no one remembers, just like how BP oil spill disaster is still a disaster that needs to be addressed, the whole wikileaks thing...and many others....but wait Ricky Gervais just told all of Hollywood to go fuck itself, now that is really important!

5fivespeed
01-18-2011, 02:37 AM

wow, you are narrow.

You implied theres no point in searching non-brown people.

Just give up. I'm Brown/East Indian too. I'm not going to jump on anyone playing the race card - that's their own ignorance. Maybe if it didn't bother you you would actually not care what people say. Prejudice always exists in todays world, it's those who choose to just "Ah, F*** who cares" and those who chose to "Ah, WTF - MY COLOR, RACE..."

I've been racially profiled more than once before, random screenings, missing flights because they decided that my baggage looked shifty. I cared, but then I didn't. I'd rather have random screenings than someone trying to endanger lives. Stop being so quick to jump on the "brown pride" wagon because really, no one gives a shit.

Racist people, screw them. Who cares. They'll love it when it gets to you.

So leave it.

Ray

ZenOps
01-18-2011, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Zephyr Ricky Gervais just told all of Hollywood to go fuck itself, now that is really important!

That is far more important than anything else in the US.

You can't knock Hollywood, its the strongest weapon that the US has over the minds of its own citizens. It can be used to inspire (like the moon landing) or be used as an ultimate propoganda tool for war.

TorqueDog
01-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

Again, this is just me playing devils advocate :devil: To answer the devil's advocate:

Weapons? We have metal detectors for that. Any weapon that is going to do significant damage (firearm) will be caught. Smaller weapons that are not detected, well how many people does it take to subdue one guy with a shank? Because you've got 130 people aboard your standard WestJet 737.

There's no risk of the plane being taken over because the new security doors make it damn near impossible to get into the cockpit.

And drugs? Let me tell you something, I couldn't care less if someone smuggled drugs onto the plane. I really couldn't. Hell, he can bring an entire marijuana plant in a clay pot and seat it beside him. Buckle it up, read to it, I don't care. Or maybe a gigantic bag of coke and use it as a neck pillow. Drugs don't make my flight any less safe by being there unless I'm somehow being forced to do a speedball against my will.

The Asian kid getting through was impressive, actually. However, you can chalk that up to inept security staff.

Tik-Tok
01-18-2011, 11:25 AM
how many people does it take to subdue one guy with a shank? Because you've got 130 people aboard your standard WestJet 737.

That's the biggest thing. Even if it were a gun, or a group of people with guns. After 9/11, passengers are going to do whatever it takes to stop them. They know that they're going to die anyways if they don't.

Just look at the few nutjobs who have caused a (non-terrorist) ruckuss in the air, there's always a group of people who take him down ASAP.

Unfortunately, bombs are still a concern. Metal detectors, and the pocket/hand swabs they do now aren't 100% effective for finding those on passengers. I don't know what the security is like on non-checked luggage either.

TorqueDog
01-18-2011, 11:34 AM
That's the biggest thing. Even if it were a gun, or a group of people with guns. After 9/11, passengers are going to do whatever it takes to stop them. They know that they're going to die anyways if they don't.

Just look at the few nutjobs who have caused a (non-terrorist) ruckuss in the air, there's always a group of people who take him down ASAP. *beating would-be terrorist*

"You -WHACK- fucking -WHACK- bastard! This is -WHACK- a five hour flight -WHACK- and you woke up -WHACK- my wife -WHACK- AND NOW I HAVE TO LISTEN TO HER TALK FOR FOUR -WHACK- AND A HALF -WHACK- HOURS. -WHACK-"

creeper
01-19-2011, 02:49 AM
No special treatment for anyone regardless of age, race, gender, etc.

http://www2.tbo.com/exposure/ar/659/372/2010/11/06/78367_canada_disguised_passenger_17437439jpg.jpg

:closed:

Toma
01-19-2011, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by creeper

http://www2.tbo.com/exposure/ar/659/372/2010/11/06/78367_canada_disguised_passenger_17437439jpg.jpg

:closed:
Moron :poosie:

You ever seen a person in a mask like that, i'ts fucking obvious. SOMEONE was sleeping that he got as far as he did.

Crawl back in your hole or bomb shelter, or under your rock if you are THAT fucking scared of shadows.

TorqueDog
01-20-2011, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by creeper

[disguised Asian Kid picture]

:closed: Yeah, you're the type of idiot the airports authority SHOULDN'T be hiring. :closed:

Toma
01-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Zephyr

http://i.imgur.com/iE0iF.jpg

This is exactly it.

The ultimate revenge for "terrorists"??

Show Americans what living in fear and under oppression is like.

Sugarphreak
01-20-2011, 11:22 AM

Sugarphreak
01-20-2011, 11:26 AM

clem24
01-20-2011, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Toma
[B]
You ever seen a person in a mask like that, i'ts fucking obvious. SOMEONE was sleeping that he got as far as he did./B]

No one was sleeping. There was collusion among him and ground staff at HKG to help him get a different boarding pass. He went through customs with his real passport and then donned everything after getting into the terminal. They've already arrested a bunch of guys at HKG.

The ironic thing is that this is all done for money, not safety. They want people to feel they're safe while flying. They want people to fly. But guess what? Flying is extremely safe. There are so many flights with so many people on board each and every day but no one is plotting to blow up an airliner every day. However, go on the highway and your chances of dying skyrocket. We hear about road accidents all the time. And that's just the ones that actually make the news. There's probably many that have less severe injuries but still probably enough to mess up your life that don't get reported. In any case, just a thought.