PDA

View Full Version : Accident question.

Ergo-Sun-Tzu
01-14-2011, 02:52 PM
So I got in an accident today.
Exchanged insurance.
So this is my first time getting into an accident. How will this all proceed? What action should I take? I kinda of destroyed his left light.

D. Dub
01-14-2011, 02:59 PM
First of all, don't go through insurance if you don't need to. Repairing the other car might be less or equal to your deductible.

How much is the damage to the other car?

Kloubek
01-14-2011, 03:02 PM
If the damage is over a grand, you need to file a police report.

(Has it changed to 2 grand yet?)

spikerS
01-14-2011, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
If the damage is over a grand, you need to file a police report.

(Has it changed to 2 grand yet?)

I think it has, but don't quote me on that.

Tomaz
01-14-2011, 03:19 PM
The steps that I take after being sure everyone does not need medical attention:

Be sure to exchange all needed information and contact information. At this time, arrange for transportation/towing if needed. Usually if a tow truck is needed, police need to be informed of the accident (403.266.1234). Sometimes they will just take info over the phone to file a report later, sometimes a cruiser shows up to help.

I contact my insurance broker immediately after to inform them that there was a collision. I let them know that I will be paying out of pocket, or that I am making a claim. They will usually tell you how to proceed from there.

If needed, I swing by a police station to file a report and get an accident sticker. (if not provided earlier)

Finally, I let the insurance company handle everything (if making claim) or I inform the insurance company of everything I am doing with documented proof (if paying out-of-pocket).

Edit:

PS: I usually carry a camera of some kind im my car just in case. Disposable, charged digital, cell, whatever. Document the damage of both vehicles, surrounding environment, anything you think will help you and/or insurance.

D. Dub
01-14-2011, 03:22 PM
^^^

Sounds like you've had lots of experience crashing into things?

:D

speedog
01-14-2011, 03:34 PM
$2,000 as of January 1, 2011

speedog
01-14-2011, 03:36 PM
A picture is worth a thousand words even to an insurance company. Take pictures underneath as well as under the hood and in the truck if possible especially if damage is in bumper areas so as to show what damage there may or may not be.

Ergo-Sun-Tzu
01-15-2011, 01:19 PM
It was in a private lot. Also trying to get it so I pay from my own pocket. I really don't want my insurance going up so. I'd like to leave the police out of it as well. So I have his contact information It was my first accident so I didn't know to take a picture. I am also not willing to claim since my car doesn't look to dented. I am trying to work things out with him. It doesn't look to damaged his car anyways. Anyway other way to proceed from there? I am also trying to get it so we both write a letter to each other so we have a peace of mind that we won't claim anything within two years fiscal etc.

speedog
01-15-2011, 01:37 PM
So which one is it, OP? In your first post you said that you "kinda of destroyed his left light" and now you're saying "it doesn't look to damaged his car anyways"? Two way different stories within a day. A headlamp fixture/assembly on most cars is going to run a fair amount of coin and if anything's busted up/bent underneath, then figure in some more dollars. Any bent/scratched fenders/bumper caps is going to cost some coin too. Was rear ended lightly some three years ago and just the repainting of my rear bumper cap was $1500 plus and no parts were replaced.

J-D
01-15-2011, 02:30 PM
If you kick a car it's about $1500 these days, haha