PDA

View Full Version : mma for kids

4bier
01-15-2011, 09:07 AM
anyone on here know any good places or have kids in it?

lellowrx7
01-15-2011, 10:02 AM
woooo early brain damage for kids!

Type_S1
01-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by lellowrx7
woooo early brain damage for kids!

*in before "its safer then boxing"*

Kritafo
01-15-2011, 10:51 AM
how old?

My kids have been going to Tao of Peace in the NW for years, they have a fantastic group of instructors and the Little Ninja program starts at age 5. Head instructor was a Principal for many years in the Calgary system. They have many nights such as movie nights, nutrition nights, first aid. We did a head shave event and raised $37,000.00 Have a once a year in house tournament, Christmas event. Fantastic program and mentoring I can't say enough good things about the studio.

The studio is more than welcoming and I encourage you to go and watch a class or even have the kids do a trial class.

http://www.taoofpeace.com/

theken
01-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Mma. Canuckles does a kids program I believe.

ercchry
01-15-2011, 01:10 PM
http://images1.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/4587664/come-at-me-bro.jpg

Kloubek
01-15-2011, 01:19 PM
I'm going to say what so many are thinking.... isn't 5 a little young to be teaching MMA?

Cos
01-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Lots of true martial arts have kids programs. Most TKD, Hapkido, Karate, etc have it.

Now for taking true MMA. I think you could have a hard time finding a true one for kids. Most MMA fighters actual take Ju Jitzu, boxing, and all that. The true MMA guys actually have mixed martial arts experience. The new MMA schools are a bit of a function of everyone wanting to kick ass like UFC fighters.

J-hop
01-15-2011, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I'm going to say what so many are thinking.... isn't 5 a little young to be teaching MMA?

maybe if you are an affliction gangsta that views MMA as "kicking someones ass". I don't think its ever to early to have your kids take up a sport.

Cos
01-15-2011, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

maybe if you are an affliction gangsta that views MMA as "kicking someones ass". I don't think its ever to early to have your kids take up a sport.

I agree but a MMA school is probably not a good idea for a child. Get them into a martial art. They could be black belt before they are 14 if they are 5 now. Then they can take kick boxing or another martial art. Before they are 25 they could be an expert in 3 or 4 martial arts.

That is a true MMA fighter with little true emphasis on 1 goal. Kicking other peoples ass.

Also we find in our kids classes that kids do NOT understand when it is appropriate to use the skills. We teach Judo style self defense that hurts like an SOB. We find a lot of kids use those skills when they are rough housing. I couldnt imagine if you taught a 5 year old Muay Thai and kick boxing. The kid would be a little bitch to control and probably kick kids ass on the playground. The purpose of MMA is to kick people ass. Not self confidence, skill, strength, and self defense like most martial arts.

Just my $0.02

J-hop
01-15-2011, 01:42 PM
I agree with some of the stuff you are saying but mixed martial arts is all about bringing together different aspects that you learn in a full range of martial arts disciplines not for the sole goal of kicking someones ass. I don't see it any different then me training in muay thai or judo or karate etc. I think in any martial art the key is control, in my gym if you are sparring and get out of hand you get in shit and are asked to sit out until you can calm down.

An emotional fighter is a poor fighter and will get his ass handed to him sooner or later because of it. Going into a fight with the "i'm going to go at this guy and wreck the shit out of him" will result in you making a lot of stupid mistakes, this is why even in MMA the key skill any good trainer will teach you is control and to not let your emotions drive your fight.

MMA has obtained such a bad rep with all these affliction dressed tool bags thinking they are pro fighters and brawling at bars with people, or these underground bar brawling leagues people try to pass off as legit MMA. I think this is why UFC had/has such a problem with public relations.

kolumbo69
01-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Ultimate fighter from Calgary Nick Ring Home gym is BDB martial arts in Calgary its Muay Thai and Brazilion Jiu jitsu. It would be my pick for a kid

Kloubek
01-15-2011, 10:28 PM
ok... let me clarify. I don't have a problem with putting your kids in martial arts - if that is what they want. Though I think kids programs should limit body contact.

I guess I interpreted it as actual full-on MMA training. And I just don't thinking teaching your kids how to put breaking pressure on arms and how to knock someone out is always the best thing at such an early age.

4bier
01-16-2011, 10:13 AM
mix martial arts, i am not putting my daughter in the ufc just looking for a variety

Unknown303
01-16-2011, 10:17 AM
I also question how structured an MMA program for children could be. I'm going to agree with Cos since I know him and all but I believe putting your kids through a specific program would be more beneficial. Once they've completed one you can put them through another, or it even gauges if they will enjoy it or not.

jav_
01-16-2011, 10:27 AM
xp6bzJ34u_I

Cos
01-16-2011, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by 4bier
mix martial arts, i am not putting my daughter in the ufc just looking for a variety

Do you understand the purpose of having mixed martial arts? It is for sparring. If you want to be part of a show team, do patterns, do board breaking, are all very specific to the art. You usually travel as a team that trained together. Variety is probably most found in TKD. Hapkido/Judo is very self defense and sparring oriented. Karate is very discipline oriented. I think I know what you mean but taking Muay Thai and Karate at the same time will only teach you striking and ground work. It wont teach you board breaking, patterns, choreographed sparring, special techniques, weapons, etc. Kick boxing and MMA are very similar. Their purpose is fighting. UFC is fighting.

If you want to see what I mean take a look at the ITF Worlds coming up. I have a couple friends taking a TKD and this is what they are going to in the next year. This will show you what a single martial art can teach you. Center screen is the scrolling list of competitions you can enter.

http://www.itfnewzealand2011.com/

If you ARE interested, go and speak to Mr. Howes. This is where I used to train. There are many different places that are good to be at. I liked Mr. Howes as this is his fulltime job AND his wife trains too. He was the head coach for the Canadian team the last 3 competitions if I remember correctly. I bet he will be this head coach in 2011 as well.

http://www.lightningtkd.com/

Edit: just watched that video posted above. The kids talks about how he likes that it is Ermanno emanno, two people out in the cage. It is obvious he looks at it at a purely fighting perspective.

89coupe
01-16-2011, 01:29 PM
I teach kids Judo, from ages 4 to 13. I don't like the idea of MMA for kids, it focuses too much on fighting.

Kids should be having fun but at the same time learning discipline and technique but never to hit or hurt someone.

Bring your kids to my club if you want them to have fun and learn at the same time.

4bier
01-17-2011, 09:21 AM
another thing would be anything east side calgary cause we live in strathmore my daughter is 9 its more or less for strength,structure im not looking for her to fight just figured it would be easier if she had a variety to pick one but im open to anything 1-3 days a week

89coupe
01-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by 4bier
another thing would be anything east side calgary cause we live in strathmore my daughter is 9 its more or less for strength,structure im not looking for her to fight just figured it would be easier if she had a variety to pick one but im open to anything 1-3 days a week

There is a Judo Club in the NE as well.

Its Hiro's Judo club.

http://www.hirosjudoclub.com/

TimG
01-19-2011, 11:10 AM
if you do go to a club and they start allowing kids under about 10-12 years old to apply joint locks, run away.

Joints and bones in kids that young are still growing and developing. the last thing you want is someone hyper extending your kids' elbow and fucking up his arm for life.

In the dojos i've taught at we would not teach joint manipulation or respiratory and sanguineous restraints to anyone under 14 years old.

you can check out traditional jiu jitsu here http://www.jiu-jitsu-calgary.com/