PDA

View Full Version : Surfers: How's about a 5-mile wave?!

C_Dave45
01-15-2011, 10:21 AM
http://www.grindtv.com/surf/blog/23568/surfers+in+alaska+ride+waves+for+an+astonishing+five+miles/

For most surfers, a really long ride might last about 20 seconds and cover 50-60 yards, so imagine the thrill experienced by a group of standup paddlers recently when they rode waves for a distance of nearly five miles -- amid the splendor of the pristine Alaskan wilderness.

The magical event played out on the Turnagain Arm in the Cook Inlet near Girdwood, thanks to a phenomenon called a tidal bore, caused when the leading edge of an incoming tide pushes against an opposing current or the direction of a river. This creates actual tidal waves.

Video (http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/video/the_longest_ride/)

asp integra
01-15-2011, 01:12 PM
that is sick!

JAYMEZ
01-15-2011, 02:19 PM
Sick lol

R-Audi
01-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Same thing happens in BC... Cant remember the place though

Supa Dexta
01-15-2011, 05:24 PM
Largest in the world happens in NS.. We go tidal bore rafting there.

civicrider
01-15-2011, 05:24 PM
cool, but i hate SUP

Colin_R6
01-16-2011, 05:21 PM
For some reason I thought it was going to be a 5-mile high world devastating monstrosity of a natural disaster.

Not sure why I didn't stop to think exactly how high that actually is, and now feel dumb for not doing so.

:dunno:

Pretty cool though.

boarderfatty
01-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Personally I don't care a whole lot for this, I am not an avid surfer (aka I live in Edmonton) But I do own a couple boards and try and get out a few times a year.

I find riding long board on small gentle waves pretty boring, sure you can ride it forever, but it lacks excitement.

For people who don't surf the closest thing I can think of to compare it to would be going to the mountains and riding the long green road down ( every resort has that long flat green run that crosses the mountain a million times from top to bottom) VS taking the fun way down to mountain on double blacks, steep through the trees, in deep pow, with cliffs.

codo
01-16-2011, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by boarderfatty
Personally I don't care a whole lot for this, I am not an avid surfer (aka I live in Edmonton) But I do own a couple boards and try and get out a few times a year.

I find riding long board on small gentle waves pretty boring, sure you can ride it forever, but it lacks excitement.

For people who don't surf the closest thing I can think of to compare it to would be going to the mountains and riding the long green road down ( every resort has that long flat green run that crosses the mountain a million times from top to bottom) VS taking the fun way down to mountain on double blacks, steep through the trees, in deep pow, with cliffs.

Agreed. Although I do think it would be fun to do once. You don't get the same thrill as lining up for a wave and timing the paddle correctly and doing the pop up. Timing is a huge part of surfing if you only do it once whats the big deal. On the same note, stand up paddle boarding is not really my style. Like I say no pop-up = no challenge.