PDA

View Full Version : Got an idea for future Bans..

Shlade
01-16-2011, 09:02 AM
So..

Most of the other Mustang forums I frequently visit have a 2 step system towards getting banned..

One of the being "Pinked" Where their username is a nice Pink color and the user is limited to a 1 Post a day on the forum.

This lasting about as long as the mods decide the person has cleaned up and it can be removed. Next step and the last step that should be taken is being banned.

Ive noticed A LOT of people get banned wayy to fast here. Implementing a system where you give the poster a better chance to clean up WITH a PM in the inbox letting him know what he is doing wrong could clean this forum up a lot.

Maybe even have a REP point rating in the future sometime where people can rate the poster in how hes doing in the community from Green bars being good and have a positive comment underneath like " Poster is on a good path" or for Red being the worst "Poster is a waste of skin" (just a thought :angel: ) (this being different from the User rating.. different system to let the users of beyond know what kind of poster this person is. Lots of the User ratings dropped on here are due to the Marketplace anyways)

Now with that in play, cleaning up some of the fools that post here can workout pretty good for the forum itself.
WITH the help of moderators and them doing their share and job in keeping the resident fuktards in place this system instead of straight out banning somebody from using Beyond could work much better.

Thoughts?

Disoblige
01-16-2011, 09:22 AM
It's user responsibility to know the rules so can't really blame anyone but yourself if you did something you shouldn't have. Don't need moderators to baby sit them, as it would be a lot of work to PM everyone who does something wrong.

However, putting a reason as to why the post was deleted instead of the normal "blahblah or risk getting banned" in the nuked post (i.e. Rule #6 blahblah) would be better though.

But if any of these rules were put in place, the "limited to one post per day" rule would be alright. Chances are they'll be pissed and get banned anyways. :rofl:

cde1966
01-16-2011, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Shlade
So..

Most of the other Mustang forums I frequently visit have a 2 step system towards getting banned..

One of the being "Pinked" Where their username is a nice Pink color and the user is limited to a 1 Post a day on the forum.

This lasting about as long as the mods decide the person has cleaned up and it can be removed. Next step and the last step that should be taken is being banned.

Ive noticed A LOT of people get banned wayy to fast here. Implementing a system where you give the poster a better chance to clean up WITH a PM in the inbox letting him know what he is doing wrong could clean this forum up a lot.

Maybe even have a REP point rating in the future sometime where people can rate the poster in how hes doing in the community from Green bars being good and have a positive comment underneath like " Poster is on a good path" or for Red being the worst "Poster is a waste of skin" (just a thought :angel: ) (this being different from the User rating.. different system to let the users of beyond know what kind of poster this person is. Lots of the User ratings dropped on here are due to the Marketplace anyways)

Now with that in play, cleaning up some of the fools that post here can workout pretty good for the forum itself.
WITH the help of moderators and them doing their share and job in keeping the resident fuktards in place this system instead of straight out banning somebody from using Beyond could work much better.
Thoughts?

Maybe they can paint your car pink after the next speeding ticket you get and then they can send you a letter in the mail telling you what you did wrong, and you could have a poster on your fridge with little green stars to show how good you are, ten green stars in a row and you can get... I'm sure that will work just fine.
Or you can read the rules and follow them...

Muji
01-16-2011, 10:50 AM
I am assuming most on this forum have a half dozen registered names, get banned and move onto the next name. Now with the new membership being kind of closed, the postings are down, the interesting topics are down and the forum is rather tepid at best. The banning process here does need attention, the mods are not paid and this is the value one gets in exchange.

I would think Beyond has something in the works, as a lack of new members can only be bad for a forum which has an advertising revenue base as the only form of income. Beyond could be so much more, I am certain their will be a change in the cards. Until then I seek out new forums which are more attentive to the business model and have a buzz.

Cos
01-16-2011, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Muji
I am assuming most on this forum have a half dozen registered names, get banned and move onto the next name. Now with the new membership being kind of closed, the postings are down, the interesting topics are down and the forum is rather tepid at best. The banning process here does need attention, the mods are not paid and this is the value one gets in exchange.

I would think Beyond has something in the works, as a lack of new members can only be bad for a forum which has an advertising revenue base as the only form of income. Beyond could be so much more, I am certain their will be a change in the cards. Until then I seek out new forums which are more attentive to the business model and have a buzz.

I have one other one and I cant remember my login password :(

Tik-Tok
01-16-2011, 11:20 AM

Ive noticed A LOT of people get banned wayy to fast here.

I wouldn't really agree with that. Everyone I've noticed banned has had it coming for awhile. I'm sure if someone really wanted to come back and be good, they could make a deal with Rage2 or Kenny (donation to charity + put on probation or something)

One forum I used to frequent that did have a good 2 step banning, was if a member was about to get banned, it would only be for a month, then if they came back after that unchanged they'd be perma-banned.

Oh, and I don't have another account either, I don' think I'm douchebag enough to require one.

Pollywog
01-16-2011, 12:04 PM

Agreed. As much as I hated the trolls, the lack of new members has made this place quite flaccid compared to previous years.

speedog
01-16-2011, 12:41 PM

I would think Beyond has something in the works, as a lack of new members can only be bad for a forum which has an advertising revenue base as the only form of income. Beyond could be so much more, I am certain their will be a change in the cards. Until then I seek out new forums which are more attentive to the business model and have a buzz. Only one registered name - figure if I can't govern myself accordingly, then I most likely don't deserve to be here.

sabad66
01-16-2011, 03:07 PM
I like the rep point idea. Something like an 'agree' or 'disagree' button on each post.

cde1966
01-16-2011, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by sabad66
I like the rep point idea. Something like an 'agree' or 'disagree' button on each post.

So you want to ban people based on whether the majority of people like what they say? In that case the forum will be full of people agreeing with each other. Furthermore, those people most likely already have people on their ignore list so all they see are the people that agree with them. It's these narrow minded people we can do without.

The world is flat (agree)
Yes you're right the world is flat (agree)
And you too are correct, the world is flat (agree)
Wait, what if the world is round? (disagree), Banned!
The world is flat again, see I told you we were correct!

dj_rice
01-16-2011, 03:54 PM
Rep point was introduced on 780Tuners, all it proves is a big popularity contest. Gay :thumbsdow

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Beyond is good the way it is. Moderators are doing a great job and don't need more added work with this idea.

If you want a rep system, disagree/agree, go to Digg.com

Weapon_R
01-16-2011, 05:02 PM
Just wanted to comment about the bans. Since membership was closed, very few people have been banned at all. In fact, we are all exercising tremendous restraint when it comes to determining whether we should ban anyone at all.

Nothing to worry about. No one is going to be banned on a whim and all bans are discussed amongst the mods beforehand. Now, once membership re-opens...:devil:

Pollywog
01-16-2011, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
once membership re-opens...:devil:

And when exactly will this occur? I was under the impression that they would never open again..

Mibz
01-16-2011, 05:35 PM
On the topic of ad revenue, I don't think members are the ones paying the bills. I imagine the majority of it comes from guests. Be honest, how many ads have -you- actually clicked?

Melinda
01-16-2011, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Pollywog

And when exactly will this occur? I was under the impression that they would never open again..
Last news if that admin is working on an invite system. So anyone would be able to join, they just need a current member to vouch for them and send them an "invite".

J-hop
01-16-2011, 06:20 PM

well not sure how beyond bans work but on the site I moderate your IP is banned, making it a little more difficult to get back on (can't just change your name/email).

If beyond doesn't use IP bans then there is also the fact (that some people seem to not be able to comprehend) that mods can easily see all sign in names that have posted from a particular IP address. This is why idiots get owned who are verballed and then create new accounts to come into the thread defending themselves (yea I know some people can be pretty stupid).

I don't think employing a points system or a warning system would work with the amount of traffic on beyond. As a fellow moderator I can tell you that even on a small forum it is a pain in the ass policing people so I can't imagine how hard it must be on beyond.

C_Dave45
01-16-2011, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

well not sure how beyond bans work but on the site I moderate your IP is banned, making it a little more difficult to get back on (can't just change your name/email).
Pretty simple to just re-register with a new name/email under a proxy server. Different IP everytime.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

I wouldn't really agree with that. Everyone I've noticed banned has had it coming for awhile.

Dunno about that. I got banned for trying to scalp a Flames ticket on ebay...wasn't even in the beyond marketplace. That was it. No warning or nothing. I didn't realize it was a "no-no" on this site at the time. Noob. Never did get un-banned lol. Think it was MaxBoost that banned me. rofl.

J-hop
01-16-2011, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

Pretty simple to just re-register with a new name/email under a proxy server. Different IP everytime.

like I said "slightly" more difficult, this will deter the average person, like the 14 year old trolls etc. Trust me, don't have to explain that kinda stuff to me!!!

either way a points/warning system is too much work, unless beyond wants to take on another 20+ mods. Plus from what i've seen beyond is pretty lax with their rules so if you do something to get banned you don't deserve a warning in the first place, on the site I moderate 90% of the threads on here would have been canned before the second page.

Cos
01-16-2011, 07:23 PM
^^ you are just an asshat is why. Haha

What forum are you on? Another car forum? Brand specific?

J-hop
01-16-2011, 07:26 PM
haha, yea its a brand specific site

sabad66
01-16-2011, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by cde1966

So you want to ban people based on whether the majority of people like what they say?

Should have clarified...wasn't suggesting that bans should be based on that. Just suggesting a rep point system in general. If you see a comment you like/agree with, it would be a lot easier to just click a button instead of (for example) quoting the post with a thumbs up or something.

It just seems to be the trend on the internet these days... facebook introduced 'Like', reddit is popular because you can upvote/downvote etc. etc.

Don't get me wrong - beyond still holds a special place in my heart (love that it's mostly local), but it just isn't my main site any more. I don't know if it's because of the closed registrations or whatever, but a couple of years ago I could click "show new posts in last 24 hours", and I'd be busy for a good while. These days only a few threads catch my eye and I find myself on reddit and other sites a lot more.

Pollywog
01-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Melinda

Last news if that admin is working on an invite system. So anyone would be able to join, they just need a current member to vouch for them and send them an "invite".

I understand that they instilled that system to help filter out random trolls, but the flaw in it is that many current members such as myself didn't know many, if any, people on beyond at our point of registration. Many new "could-be" members that possibly could be positive contributors are as a result unable to join and will simply move on.

top_speed
01-16-2011, 08:49 PM
^i guess you dont want the xbox?

Pollywog
01-16-2011, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by top_speed
^i guess you dont want the xbox?

I guess I don't check my PM's every 10 seconds? Stellar trader-rating btw.

Your obvious desperation, completely off-topic reply in this thread, and your attempt to "out" me publically is fuckin lame. Fat chance I'd want to deal with someone like you, but thanks anyways.

Edit:
http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab21/6871280013178/9720ac87.jpg

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab21/6871280013178/de0c8e40.jpg

Boy, who wouldn't want to do business with you! Class act, Junior.

M.alex
01-16-2011, 10:12 PM
I'm scarred to post stuff now and find myself frequently deleting possible postings for fear they might be taken incorrectly and result in a banning :(

jsn
01-16-2011, 10:17 PM
meh, I like beyond the way it is now. All the trolls and e-thugs we used to get was just plain annoying. I don't really like the idea of the whole rep system though. Like someone mentioned, it seems like it could very easily turn into just a popularity contest.

topmade
01-16-2011, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by M.alex
I'm scarred to post stuff now and find myself frequently deleting possible postings for fear they might be taken incorrectly and result in a banning :(
:werd: I sometimes write up quite a bit and will end up deleting it and not posting at all or shortening it to a simple sentence or something now.

Muji
01-17-2011, 08:14 AM
Beyond and the lack of new and fresh membership reminds me of the mafia characters in the movie Ghost Dog, they were all twenty years past their prime and no new blood. Anyone seen the movie will know WTF I am talking about.

Unknown303
01-17-2011, 08:27 AM
I think we should ban top_speed. :dunno:

Mibz
01-17-2011, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303
I think we should ban top_speed. :dunno: Pretty sure he's been banned 2 or 12 times before.

CUG
01-17-2011, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Melinda

Last news if that admin is working on an invite system. So anyone would be able to join, they just need a current member to vouch for them and send them an "invite". That's actually funny, because I can think of more people that I would NOT invite than people I would. :rofl:

As for the ban system, it sounds like it's been improved a ton. More dialogue has been established between angered parties that has actually resulted in quite a bit of understanding. If people are given the opportunity to articulate themselves more often, it seems less misunderstanding occurs.

kenny
01-18-2011, 10:34 AM
We'll revisit the registration system soon. We are in the middle of some major upgrades on the back end which we hope will be complete within a couple weeks.

After that, we'll address the registration issues. Closing the forum to new registrations was an experiment and its gone quite well. When/if we do reopen registrations there will likely be changes to new user permissions.

Shlade
01-18-2011, 12:24 PM
10-4 thanks for the imput guys

Just something that popped in my head.

All of you have good valid arguements for this! We`ll see how things go later on then and see what kind of changes get made!

KandabashiDevil
01-18-2011, 07:04 PM
Ive noticed A LOT of people get banned wayy to fast here.

Strongly disagree.

As someone who's been on the forum since its conception, I believe the exact opposite is true. For the longest time, people were not being banned fast enough. Years of dis-respectful discussion have brought us to this point. It didn't happen over-night.

I think the limited registration, marketplace regulations, and quick-ban policies are a great way to purge the system of abusive users. Then we can start to re-build the community.

There's been YEARS of market rip-offs, racial slander, hateful discussion, personal attacking, meets gone wrong, and countless other situations that went un-punished.

Zero tolerance is just what this place needs for a bit. Then maybe the users will appreciate the value of a public, local automotive forum that they pay nothing to enjoy.

Little Dragon
01-18-2011, 10:52 PM
Do not do the rep system please. All it is, is a popularity contest. They have it on bodybuilding.com and it's annoying how obsessed people are with gaining reps.

J-hop
01-18-2011, 11:48 PM
the only thing I would like to see change is to see either people get banned or threads get nuked with racial slander in them (like kanda mentioned).

That is the one thing that has bugged me on beyond for years, I don't think you can hide from racial discrimination or pretend it doesn't exist but tolerating it is just as bad as encouraging it so I'd like to see that gone.

note: no I am not a visible minority it just pisses me off that stuff like that is allowed.

npham
02-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by KandabashiDevil
Strongly disagree.

As someone who's been on the forum since its conception...

How many accounts have you had? Your userid isn't OG at all.