PDA

View Full Version : how hard is it to pass a salvage inspection/can anyone do one here? :)

nolan34
01-16-2011, 11:47 AM
so im going to look at this car, and the guy said it needed a salvage inspection.. he had a think accent of some kind so i could understand him fully but what i gathered was

-the car was bought from an auction, he said it was stolen at some point, and because of that, thats why it needs the salvage... he doesnt think it was crashed... so i dont want to buy a car im stuck sinking a crap load of money into just to get it passed?.....

tom_9109
01-16-2011, 11:52 AM
If it needs a salvage inspection because it was deemed a total loss by the insurance company.

Its a very thorough and expensive thing to get down. About $400 for the inspection and whatever mechanical / bodywork it needs to pass.

Under the law a theft recovery is branded 'salvage' if it has ANY damage. so that could be as little as a dent or scratch all the way up to a collision. It has to be repaired and then pass a full mechanical inspection.

Might be best to stay away.

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/547.htm

G-ZUS
01-16-2011, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by tom_9109
If it needs a salvage inspection because it was deemed a total loss by the insurance company.

Its a very thorough and expensive thing to get down. About $400 for the inspection and whatever mechanical / bodywork it needs to pass.

Under the law a theft recovery is branded 'salvage' if it has ANY damage. so that could be as little as a dent or scratch all the way up to a collision. It has to be repaired and then pass a full mechanical inspection.

Might be best to stay away.

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/547.htm

Last year they were $315, unless the price has gone up. They are very thorough with it. I believe there are only a handful of shops that can do them.

^ I have bought some theft recoveries with damage that were still active, I think it really depends on the adjuster/insurance company.

euro_racer
01-16-2011, 12:14 PM
i would probably stay away or get him to do the inspection and then buy it off of him... chances are he tried to get it inspected, failed, and is now selling it as is just to get rid of it.

Kloubek
01-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Yeah - one would guess he bought it to resell, and he would have at least attempted to get the inspection done.

I *might* consider a rebuilt vehicle if the price is right, but ones still requiring inspection are no-go's in my book.

nolan34
01-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

Last year they were $315, unless the price has gone up. They are very thorough with it. I believe there are only a handful of shops that can do them.

^ I have bought some theft recoveries with damage that were still active, I think it really depends on the adjuster/insurance company.

this is a dumb question but what does still active mean? is that just having a title meaning it doesnt need the salvage?

how can you tell if a car does need a salvage inspection? take the vin to a registry im guessing?

big A
01-16-2011, 12:40 PM
This should help you find a shop to do the inspection.
http://www2.infratrans.gov.ab.ca/vis/production/vishome.asp

G-ZUS
01-16-2011, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by nolan34

this is a dumb question but what does still active mean? is that just having a title meaning it doesnt need the salvage?

how can you tell if a car does need a salvage inspection? take the vin to a registry im guessing?

Active means it was never written off. You can take the VIN to the registry and they will tell you if its salvage, active, rebuilt or non-repairable

tom_9109
01-16-2011, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

It comes down to if the Insurance company/adjuster knows what they are doing. Any damage that occurred while it is stolen means it has to be branded salvage. 1 damaged lock cylinder or 1 scratch is technically all it takes. It is statute law and although everyone in the industry agrees it could be written better it is fully in force. If an insurer were to not brand a vehicle that was damaged while it was stolen they could face a $10,000+ fine.

Under the Vehicle Inspection Regulation (Alberta)

A motor vehicle is a salvage motor vehicle if after being stolen, it is recovered and is found to have been damaged while it was stolen.

http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/regu/alta-reg-211-2006/latest/alta-reg-211-2006.html

Its the same statute that unfortunately causes older vehicles to be branded salvage even when the damage is minor and cosmetic in nature. There is some proposed wording that have been suggested to Alberta Transportation & Infrastructure however changes are not currently being pursued.

SI_futbol
01-16-2011, 03:56 PM
its all who you know.

Inspection is so corrupt.

PM me.

nolan34
01-16-2011, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by tom_9109

. 1 damaged lock cylinder or 1 scratch is technically all it takes. It is statute law and although everyone in the industry agrees it could be written better it is fully in force. .

[/B]

soo dumb! well i hope i can find a qualified someone who likes beer alot ;)

thanks for all the helpful info !

78si
01-16-2011, 06:31 PM
Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting - more info »
4120 15A Street Se, Calgary, AB T2G 3P3
(403) 244-9444 ‎

They charge $315 and are pretty fair. Talk to Junior, tell him the guys at CHHS referred you.

nolan34
01-16-2011, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by 78si
Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting - more info »
4120 15A Street Se, Calgary, AB T2G 3P3
(403) 244-9444 ‎

They charge $315 and are pretty fair. Talk to Junior, tell him the guys at CHHS referred you.

thanks cousin i think i know who that is.

ddduke
01-17-2011, 12:18 AM
A friend of mine actually does this for a living. Has a yard with hundreds of totalled cars, uses his own body shop to fix then re sells them.

I found an amazing deal on a salvage truck last week so I called him and asked if I should pull the trigger. He told me to stay away and the hassle to re certify is not worth it usually.

I'm gonna say you should look for something else and stay away from this.

ShermanEF9
01-17-2011, 12:46 AM
maybe try running a carfax/ car proof on it and see why it was written off. its good peace of mind for the 30 bucks. i JUST did one on my car (its rebuilt, had no idea why) and found out it was a theft recovery, and was never in an accident. if you can get it for cheap and it passes, it could be an excellent vehicle.

SI_futbol
01-17-2011, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by ShermanEF9
maybe try running a carfax/ car proof on it and see why it was written off. its good peace of mind for the 30 bucks. i JUST did one on my car (its rebuilt, had no idea why) and found out it was a theft recovery, and was never in an accident. if you can get it for cheap and it passes, it could be an excellent vehicle.

Thats rare, usually thefts stay active if theres no damage. unlucky

ShermanEF9
01-17-2011, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by SI_futbol

Thats rare, usually thefts stay active if theres no damage. unlucky

yeah it was given that title because it was sold at a salvage auction in the states

toastgremlin
01-17-2011, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by SI_futbol
its all who you know.

Inspection is so corrupt.

PM me. Yeah, it's really fun buying a rebuilt title car and then discovering that the AB government has no record of the rebuilding process, the rebuilt inspection, who did the rebuilt inspection or even when the new title on the car was issued. It's a good thing I did the Carproof before I bought it.

Turns out the rebuilt inspections are just as corrupt as the safety inspections. A load of horseshit which is typical of AB transportation.