PDA

View Full Version : Tamron & Tokina

Pollywog
01-17-2011, 09:09 PM
I've used numerous Canon and Sigma lenses, but does someone mind filling me in as to how Tamron and Tokina compare? Build-quality isn't as big of a concern to me as optics are, but I am curious as to the general consensus on these brands. Thanks kindly!

Edit: To add, I am intending a comparison to Canon's "L" series lenses and premium EF series lenses, not the cheaper DX/crop lenses.

blitz
01-17-2011, 10:10 PM
For lot of the 3rd party lenses, the specific type of lens makes a big difference. They have some hits and some misses.

I've always liked Tokina, but I don't think they really make any Full Frame lenses except for their 100mm Macro. Pretty much the same with Tamron.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-17-2011, 11:01 PM
Depends 100% on which lens you're looking at.

Pollywog
01-17-2011, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the opinions so far guys. With regards to a particular lens, I was looking at the Tokina 16-28 f/2.8 for my 1D. Anybody have hands-on experience with this lens?

I was also curious as to the order of quality between Tokina, Tamron and Sigma as I plan on purchasing a 7D for video, and obviously can use crop-sensor lenses.

Edit: The infamously hated/loved Ken Rockwell states that "[the] Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8 is as good optically as Nikon's world-changing 14-24mm f/2.8 of 2007, and this Tokina lens costs less than half as much. This Tokina is also as good optically as Canon's 16-35mm f/2.8 L II", hence my curiosity.

Ashkente
01-17-2011, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Pollywog
Thanks for the opinions so far guys. With regards to a particular lens, I was looking at the Tokina 16-28 f/2.8 for my 1D. Anybody have hands-on experience with this lens?

If you're a 1.3 crop, it's not gonna work very well for you. Probably vignettes if you get under 14, as it's for APS-C. I can tell you that it only works at 16 full frame, with a little vignetting at 15.

As Rockwell says though, it does have nice (linear) correctable distortion.

Pollywog
01-17-2011, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Ashkente

If you're a 1.3 crop, it's not gonna work very well for you. Probably vignettes if you get under 14, as it's for APS-C. I can tell you that it only works at 16 full frame, with a little vignetting at 15.

As Rockwell says though, it does have nice (linear) correctable distortion.

But I thought it was for Full-format?

Ideal Uses: Perfect for use on FX digital as an ultrawide.

Not for: Won't work on manual-focus cameras. Can't use filters, so mostly useless on film. It's foolish to use this on a DX or 1.6x Canon camera; for them, the Tokina 11-16mm, or even a kit lens, is a much smarter idea.

Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8
AT-X PRO FX

Ashkente
01-18-2011, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Pollywog

But I thought it was for Full-format?

Ahh balls. Disregard. Apparently I can't read. I kept thinking 11-16 2.8... :banghead:

Pollywog
01-18-2011, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Ashkente

Ahh balls. Disregard. Apparently I can't read. I kept thinking 11-16 2.8... :banghead:

I have heard great things about the 11-16 for cropped sensors, and will probably grab one with the 7D. I haven't heard much of anything about the 16-28 f/2.8, however Im seeking an alternative to the 16-35 L.

Mitsu3000gt
01-18-2011, 12:55 AM
Totally depends on the lens. Of the third party manufactures, they make some utter garbage and they make some incredible lenses.

Tamron's build quality will disappoint you if you are comparing them to L glass. Tokina builds their lenses like a tank, and are more comparable in that department.

Focus speed should be better on the L glass, but screw-drive on a pro body will be similar.

As for the Tokina 16-28, you'll have to get creative if you want to use filters with it, it won't take screw-on filters.

It's as good as the 16-35L II From what I read and the people I've talked to, but there also seems to be a lot of people disappointed with the 16-35L II - for the price anyways. The Tokina is not equal to the Nikon 14-24...that lens is one of a kind right now. Ken Rockwell has also said the Nikon D40 is the best camera Nikon makes sometime in the past if I recall correctly haha. I also think he has an iPhone app out now....anyways we're getting off topic.

As with any 3rd party lens, there is a significantly higher chance of sample variation, especially with the wide aperture and wide angle lenses. I'd recommend buying from somewhere with a return policy unless you can test it to your satisfaction in-store.

The Tokina 16-28 will hold it's own against the Canon 16-35 L II but if you expect it to be a poor man's Nikon 14-24 I think you'll be disappointed. It also depends on how picky you are. There is a reason many Canon users own adapters and Nikon bodies specifically for the 14-24.

The Tamron 17-50, Tokina 16-50, and Sigma 17/18-50 are all also excellent lenses and are constant f2.8. The previous, non stabilized, screw drive versions seem to be the sharpest of all the versions (with the exception of the really early Sigma 18-50 with the 67mm filter...avoid). You'll get more of an all round lens than the 16-28 but they won't be as good as a dedicated wide angle. There is a fair amount of sample variation with those lenses as well. They are crop body only though but that's fine for your 7D.

blitz
01-18-2011, 08:09 AM
And apparently the 11-16mm works @ 16mm on full frame...