PDA

View Full Version : Cars from New York State

OU812
01-18-2011, 09:38 PM
Just wondering if any one here has ever bought/looked at a car from NYS?

Do they salt the shit out of the roads like Ont??

Thanks

Cos
01-18-2011, 10:03 PM
It isnt the road that is the problem, it is the ocean combined with the winter.

Personally I dont know why you just wouldnt go inland. How many cars would there be in NY anyways. Much better chance in Cali/Arizona/Etc.

01RedDX
01-19-2011, 12:49 AM

Cos
01-19-2011, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

Population: 20 million.

But it's true, better to look in AZ/TX/CA, and avoid cars from NY, especially ones from NYC.

Roughly 8 million live in NYC? How many of them have cars? Including the cabs I bet there are 4 million cars. Not that many considering its population size

ercchry
01-19-2011, 09:34 AM
here is another reason to stay away from nyc cars... potholes

http://www.jezblog.com/images/2big_pothole_driver_runNYC.jpg

01RedDX
01-19-2011, 09:54 AM

Godfuader
01-19-2011, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

He asked about New York state, but speaking of NYC, you'd be surprised. I know tons of people there and they all have cars. The only guy who doesn't, lives and works in Manhattan.
:werd: Many people outside of Manhattan have cars. I am one of those few who actually has a car in Manhattan. During winter, the roads are cleared off instantly. They will literally drive the plows every night-time hour during a snow fall. They also use salt and gravel. Not to mention the guaranteed dings and scratches on every panel would turn me away from buying from NYC.

Supa Dexta
01-20-2011, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Cos
It isnt the road that is the problem, it is the ocean combined with the winter.

Personally I dont know why you just wouldnt go inland. How many cars would there be in NY anyways. Much better chance in Cali/Arizona/Etc.

I dont think it has anything to do with the ocean. Otherwise california, and van island and whatnot would be rust buckets too.

Anything thats under a couple years old would be fine.

I often wonder if the east coast rust is more related to a combo of salt and acid rain from all the factories across NA before the prevailing winds get east. Because I've talked to people in scotland, and they leave stuff parked right along side the ocean and it doesnt rust like it does on the east coast here.. The only difference? The clouds have time to clean over the atlantic?? Theres also higher cancer rates and sickness too.

Jlude
01-20-2011, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

I dont think it has anything to do with the ocean. Otherwise california, and van island and whatnot would be rust buckets too.

Anything thats under a couple years old would be fine.

I often wonder if the east coast rust is more related to a combo of salt and acid rain from all the factories across NA before the prevailing winds get east. Because I've talked to people in scotland, and they leave stuff parked right along side the ocean and it doesnt rust like it does on the east coast here.. The only difference? The clouds have time to clean over the atlantic?? Theres also higher cancer rates and sickness too.

That's very interesting. You're right... the maritimes has much higher cancer rates than the rest of the country.

Supa Dexta
01-20-2011, 04:09 PM
Yeah its been an idea of mine for years.. Having drove across Can/USA many times on different routes and seeing the number of factories and power plants and whatnot, with it all blowing primarily towards the maritimes, you have to wonder how much shit is dropping out of the sky on us.

I've come up with the idea based on knowing it can't be the ocean alone, otherwise other seaside places would be in the same boat, which they are not.. And from seeing farm equipment, that is never driven on salt roads/winter conditions, that is parked out in a field away from that corrosion, but yet still rusts out.. And then talking to Scottish farmers who say their equipment sits beside the ocean for years and doesn't rust in the same manner, something is up.

They are required to build smoke stacks a certain height to clear the surrounding area from particles and whatever junk spews out of them. But how does that help when it just falls in the town next door? Its got a few thousand miles to clear up before hitting europe though. And just by nature the maritimes are more prone to heavy rains, winds.. etc that make it a perfect dumping grounds for whatever is held in the clouds.

Abeo
01-20-2011, 07:44 PM
Trust me, cars in scotland/northern england get rotted out. To the same degree as the east coast, but the MOT inspections make owning an older car really hard to do, so they get junked way quicker than canada

OU812
01-29-2011, 04:07 PM
OK.....how about Chicago Illinois?

bastardchild
01-29-2011, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by OU812
OK.....how about Chicago Illinois?

I would avoid, their roads suck. Cali, Arizona, etc are good places.

t-im
01-29-2011, 05:16 PM
http://gothamist.com/attachments/jsaxena/012311iciclecar.jpg
http://gothamist.com/attachments/jsaxena/012411icicleaudi.jpg

From last week's snowmageddon (though I'm not sure if that actually damages the car).

Gollum244
01-29-2011, 05:33 PM
^broke dudes window nicely^