PDA

View Full Version : Salary Hours

sexualbanana
01-19-2011, 01:09 AM
I realize that someone on salary will still have to work extra hours for whatever reasons, but I'm curious to know what your average hours are like for those of you who earn salary.

Speed_69
01-19-2011, 01:57 AM
8:30am-4:30pm; paid one hour lunch and can pretty much take small breaks whenever I want.

= 35 Hour work week

Kavy
01-19-2011, 02:11 AM
Last year my company that I had been at for 5 years offered me a large promotion and 40k/yr increase. I was on salary before but in and around 44hrs a week was the expectation.

After 6 months in the new position I figured out that I was actually making less per hour then I was before because I was working 60+ hours a week.

Ichigo
01-19-2011, 07:42 AM
Average hours last year on salary were 60+ hours a week.
After that, when you leave on a regular 8 hour day they think you're sneaking out early and glare at you.

adam c
01-19-2011, 09:06 AM
normal hours are 40/week anything over that and it's time off in lieu

ercchry
01-19-2011, 09:08 AM
reg 40 hours weeks. if i work more i get overtime

sputnik
01-19-2011, 09:15 AM
37.5 hrs/week

I get paid OT for anything beyond that.

topmade
01-19-2011, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by adam c
:werd: Actual company policy say's no OT pay, so our manager gives us time in lieu. I'm in IT, so I can't say it's same for accountants and other departments though.......

seer_claw
01-19-2011, 09:41 AM
I'm working 60 hours a week roughly, granted I'm salary but my company is generous enough to pay me a flat rate for all the hours I work so I can't complain too much.

jonnycat
01-19-2011, 09:58 AM
40 Hours per week. Sometimes staying an extra 15 minutes up to an hour per day for the last 3 days of any quarter.

Mitsu3000gt
01-19-2011, 10:27 AM
8:45-9 to 4:30, 1hr lunch, no real strict guidelines.

+0.5 day paid holiday for every weekend I am on call (full day for long weekends).

msommers
01-19-2011, 10:37 AM
60 hour work weeks? Jesus I hope those don't last all year long.

adam c
01-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by topmade

:werd: Actual company policy say's no OT pay, so our manager gives us time in lieu. I'm in IT, so I can't say it's same for accountants and other departments though.......

I'm in IT as well, I think this is the standard as when I went to one interview they said IT is a professional profession and as such does not warrant overtime to be paid

Mibz
01-19-2011, 10:56 AM
I'm also in IT. I'm scheduled 40 hours, some weeks I work more, some weeks I work less, but at the end of the week the shit gets done. I consider myself fortunate to be in an environment where I can do this.

inb4rage2 burns me for being lazy and useless.

BananaFob
01-19-2011, 11:04 AM
:( Averaging 72 hours per week.

Pahnda
01-19-2011, 11:13 AM
40-ish/week but will stay up to an hour-ish after work some days if I'm pissed at something I'm doing or just get too 'deep' into it to put it down.

My thoughts are that I don't get compensated for overtime, so I'm not going to do overtime regularly and will just plan out my workload for 40/week... Also quitting soon. :clap:

Chester
01-19-2011, 12:25 PM
I do 7:00 am to 3:00 pm monday to friday, sometimes I take lunch, can be anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the type of lunch. Some days I stay late, some I leave early. Depending on how long I stay I'll charge OT.

TimG
01-19-2011, 12:26 PM
40-ish hours/week. lunch/breaks as long as we want as long as we put in the time. pants are also optional.

SpeedIllusion
01-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by adam c

10 to 6, I can take breaks whenever

01-19-2011, 12:41 PM
7:30-4:30

1 hour lunch

I usually end up working 6:45/7 ish to 4:30/5.

Breaks whenever. if I have to leave early for any reason its not a problem, or take an extended lunch, etc.

If I end up having to come in on weekends its time in lieu.

Kloubek
01-19-2011, 12:47 PM
8:30-4:30, Monday-Friday. 1/2 hour lunch (though I am entitled to an hour). I take small breaks as I wish, and they are pretty flexible about me taking off an hour or two early if required.

89coupe
01-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
I realize that someone on salary will still have to work extra hours for whatever reasons, but I'm curious to know what your average hours are like for those of you who earn salary.

8am - 4:30pm hour for lunch.

Chandler_Racing
01-19-2011, 12:59 PM
I work 9/10AM - 6/7PM.

Prefer to sleep in during mornings. With that said, it is year end so probably closer to 60 hours till we finalize the numbers.

sabad66
01-19-2011, 01:08 PM
For you guys that work 60 hrs a week, is that spread over 5, 6, or all 7 days? 60 per week is nuts! Although I can get close to that some weeks during summer since I work on call at golf courses.

Grogador
01-19-2011, 01:34 PM
40hrs/wk, rest is OT as lieu or 1.5x paid.

Originally posted by topmade

https://employment.alberta.ca/documents/WRR/WRR-ES-FI_esfs3.pdf

If you don't use your lieu time within three months, your company needs to apply to the gov't for an extension... or pay you out.

Edit: this one details it better: https://employment.alberta.ca/documents/WRR/WRR-ES-FI_esfs9.pdf

Tik-Tok
01-19-2011, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Grogador
40hrs/wk, rest is OT as lieu or 1.5x paid.

https://employment.alberta.ca/documents/WRR/WRR-ES-FI_esfs3.pdf

If you don't use your lieu time within three months, your company needs to apply to the gov't for an extension... or pay you out.

Edit: this one details it better: https://employment.alberta.ca/documents/WRR/WRR-ES-FI_esfs9.pdf

But when you sign an agreement to be paid salary, you give up that right, so if your boss is good enough to give you time off in lieu, you have a good boss.

seer_claw
01-19-2011, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by sabad66
For you guys that work 60 hrs a week, is that spread over 5, 6, or all 7 days? 60 per week is nuts! Although I can get close to that some weeks during summer since I work on call at golf courses.

I work 9 days then have 5 off, working 12.5h a day(usually). Usually about 5am - 6:30pm, so long days but the 5 days off are nice. There are days when I'm at work until 7 or 8 depending on how busy I am.

Grogador
01-19-2011, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
But when you sign an agreement to be paid salary, you give up that right, so if your boss is good enough to give you time off in lieu, you have a good boss.

If that's explicitly what the agreement states, then sure, I guess... the lieu time is just a fabricated freebie?

wintonyk
01-19-2011, 06:59 PM
i work about 44 hours/week in office. then anywhere between 3 and 8 hours out of office depending on tasks at hand or seminars I need to teach.

I have a significant amount of flexibility to dodge out a couple hours early one day or float an extra day off if necessary.

zieg
01-19-2011, 07:20 PM
40 hours a week, beyond that I can choose between time off in lieu or OT pay.

C_Dave45
01-19-2011, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

What industry are you talking about? For normal employees, whether paid by a yearly salary or hourly, overtime kicks in after 8 hours each day, or 44 hours per week. Even if its an agreed ATO, its still at the same rate of time and a half.

Employment standards (http://employment.alberta.ca/SFW/1470.html)

All employees, including those who are paid a weekly, monthly, or annual salary, must be paid overtime pay for overtime hours they work.

tch7
01-19-2011, 09:39 PM
40 hours per week. Overtime for anything more. Hours are flexible, as long as the time is put in.

Will probably be working 60-70 hours/week (5-6 days/week) for most of 2011 once things ramp up over the next few weeks.

Kari_310
01-19-2011, 10:12 PM
Usually 37.5hrs per week except for during this time of year for busy season. Now its >60hrs per week with no overtime pay for the next 2-3months.

Most professionals are exempt from overtime rules (ie. accountants, doctors, lawyers, etc) so they sign over any overtime pay when they start working.

BlackArcher101
01-19-2011, 10:46 PM
8:00-4:30, 37.5 hours per week.
I'm not classified as a professional, so I should get OT. There's the odd time I will work on my own time, but my company general doesn't like paying OT, so I don't agree to do it. They don't give time in lieu of either.

FYI, No agreement at the time of hire, whether it be a salary contract or overtime agreement can trump the minimum requirements listed in the employment standards. A company cannot say you are exempt from OT and demand you to work it if you are not a professional. It's either 1.5x pay or 1x time off in lieu. Those are the minimums, anything else and you are getting screwed.

I've had the odd boss where I was told to work OT to finish a project, only to not get paid my 25+ hours OT (in one week) because they thought all salary positions are exempt. Couldn't be more wrong.

sexualbanana
01-19-2011, 11:15 PM
I always figured my hours 8:30 - 5pm w/ half-hour lunch were normal. Not quite, apparently. Also, my bosses are not flexible at all with work hours. So I'm kinda starting to think I'm getting kinda shafted here.

C_Dave45
01-20-2011, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101
8:00-4:30, 37.5 hours per week.
I'm not classified as a professional, so I should get OT. There's the odd time I will work on my own time, but my company general doesn't like paying OT, so I don't agree to do it. They don't give time in lieu of either.

FYI, No agreement at the time of hire, whether it be a salary contract or overtime agreement can trump the minimum requirements listed in the employment standards. A company cannot say you are exempt from OT and demand you to work it if you are not a professional. It's either 1.5x pay or 1x time off in lieu. Those are the minimums, anything else and you are getting screwed.

I've had the odd boss where I was told to work OT to finish a project, only to not get paid my 25+ hours OT (in one week) because they thought all salary positions are exempt. Couldn't be more wrong.

^ Bingo. This guy's got it.

Tomaz
01-20-2011, 01:06 AM
40h/week payout.

Rarely do I work OT, when I do it is by choice to get the work done.

Breaks, whenever and as long as I wish within reason. Hell, some days my boss tells me to leave after 2pm.

I have it pretty sweet to be honest. I dont know if i can ever go back to a hard working job again. lol ;)

Kirbs17
01-29-2011, 05:25 PM
I work 7am - 5:30pm (usually) with a 1 hour lunch. No breaks. 2-3 times a week I'll work until 8pm or so. I'm on salary, and not allowed to bank time.

tirebob
01-31-2011, 12:19 PM
Last I checked, doesn't matter if you are a salaried employee... They still legally have to pay you for anything over and above a standard work week. I don't think they are obligated to pay you 1.5 if on salary and may only have to pay you straight time, but it still "should" be paid. I know this because I was abused with working time at one company once and I quit over it. I went to labour relations to ask them if they were in the right and they told me emphatically not. I went back to the company after this and they paid up on the spot.

That being said, if you are someone who gets to leave early and still get paid, then you should have a bit of tolerance for working extra when it is busy. Taking time in lieu is always a nice option too. If you are happy and agree to work the extra hours then great. Not every company abuses their employee's and sometimes that extra work without complaining shows the company how dedicated you are and allows you to rise through the ranks faster than the average guy, but some companies are just douchy and it gets you nowhere but frustrated. What you decide to do is up to you...