PDA

View Full Version : Keyless start hacked.

Xtrema
01-19-2011, 01:21 PM
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-20028539-48.html

Zephyr
01-19-2011, 01:24 PM
time to go back to the old school http://i.imgur.com/vrTbj.jpg

Fuji
01-19-2011, 03:16 PM
You can't drive the car that far unless you keep repeating the signal as you drive (unless your manufactuter doesn't have a shut off if the signal isnt provided) .... seems unlikely at this point to be a critical issue - Most that would happen is a guy would get into your car and steal your crap and/or drive away with it for about another 50-100 feet.

kenny
01-19-2011, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Fuji
You can't drive the car that far unless you keep repeating the signal as you drive (unless your manufactuter doesn't have a shut off if the signal isnt provided) .... seems unlikely at this point to be a critical issue - Most that would happen is a guy would get into your car and steal your crap and/or drive away with it for about another 50-100 feet.

They're repeating the signal. Two guys involved. One person sits near owner of vehicle broadcasting the keyfob signal to a buddy who is driving away with your car.

vengie
01-19-2011, 03:25 PM
My truck shuts off when the brake pedal is pressed (when the key is not in the ignition) and you must put your foot on the brake in order to put it in drive...

Worst they could do is steal valuables from inside my truck.

spike98
01-19-2011, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by vengie
My truck shuts off when the brake pedal is pressed (when the key is not in the ignition) and you must put your foot on the brake in order to put it in drive...

Worst they could do is steal valuables from inside my truck.

No key is involved.

speedog
01-19-2011, 04:43 PM
You can't drive the car that far unless you keep repeating the signal as you drive (unless your manufactuter doesn't have a shut off if the signal isnt provided) .... seems unlikely at this point to be a critical issue - Most that would happen is a guy would get into your car and steal your crap and/or drive away with it for about another 50-100 feet. 50-100 feet is enough to get the compromised vehicle on to a flat deck or trailer.

spike98
01-19-2011, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by speedog
50-100 feet is enough to get the compromised vehicle on to a flat deck or trailer.

Also if the signal passed through the repeater is amplified or multiple repeaters are used the distance could be increased.

eblend
01-19-2011, 07:28 PM
this seems to only affect those cars that have proximity functionality, so not really a big deal for most common folks

Xtrema
01-19-2011, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by eblend
this seems to only affect those cars that have proximity functionality, so not really a big deal for most common folks

I think u can get them even on low end cars now and it is standard on almost all Nissans with a starting price over $20k. Eventually it will be standard like power windows.

lilmira
01-19-2011, 11:21 PM
Time to get my trunk monkey back.

vengie
01-20-2011, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by spike98

No key is involved.

Just re-read, I assume this is the new "Smart key" thing most new cars have??

chkolny541
01-20-2011, 12:34 AM
wowzers

Mar
01-20-2011, 01:01 AM
Wow, what kind of idiot would put this on their car?

C_Dave45
01-20-2011, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Zephyr
time to go back to the old school http://i.imgur.com/vrTbj.jpg

Cut through the steering wheel with hacksaw...take out club. takes about 15 seconds.

rage2
01-20-2011, 07:13 AM
Once the car starts up, it keeps going without a key. At least in Benz's they do. Just a massive warning on the screen that says NO KEY DETECTED. As long as the car doesn't shut down, you're good to go.

I'm guessing it's a safety precaution, cuz you know, it'd be pretty dangerous to start driving, merge into traffic and suddenly the engine dies.

lilmira
01-20-2011, 09:22 AM
Yes, once the car is started it won't automatically shut off when no signal is detected. Since the key card runs on battery, battery dies or you may have signal interference. It won't be very safe at all to have the car shut itself off in cases like that.

Intelligent key was never foolproof. I thought you can capture the signal from the car then walk around near by area sending out the same signal, once you get the response signal from the intelligent key, capture it and the car is yours. But these are pretty sophisticated operations, not something a crackhead or some punk kid will do. There is always a way to steal your car if some one is determined to do so. So either don't drive a thief magnet or get insurance or both.

kaput
01-20-2011, 09:51 AM

Xtrema
01-20-2011, 10:45 AM
^ All Chrysler has that key now which was borrowed from MB's parts bin.

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/vehicle-pictures/2009/mercedes-benz/slk-class/5362-147-key-fob-480.jpg

But these keys just forgoes the tumbler and depends strictly on the immobilizer chip. These are safe because mechanically it still require a physical device to start. The one in question are the ones that doesn't require you to insert a key to start the car.