PDA

View Full Version : Royal Purple?

Patt08
01-19-2011, 09:12 PM
After doing some reading on-line regarding Synthetic oil's and which are best for use most seem to land on Royal Purple. According to certain findings they say that oils such as Castrol Syntec are not " full synthetic " like they claim to be. Is it true Royal Purple is in fact "Full Synthetic" and not half and half like Castrol? Does anyone here use Royal Purple? *Edit* And if so, what places carry it?

hulk
01-19-2011, 10:45 PM
Royal purple is junk!!....amsoil is the only 100% full synthetic and is the only brand to stand up for what they say...nothing else IMO comes close.

962 kid
01-19-2011, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by hulk
Royal purple is junk!!....amsoil is the only 100% full synthetic and is the only brand to stand up for what they say...nothing else IMO comes close.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Funny how the guys who know nothing about oil all like amsoil the most

J-hop
01-19-2011, 11:36 PM
how can mobil 1 market their full synthetic as "fully synthetic" if it is not then?

Are you reading on forums or maybe marketing propaganda? I tend not to believe stuff like that....

Edit: also make sure you aren't comparing one companies fully synthetic product to another companies synthetic blend products, lots of companies sell both a fully synthetic and a synthetic blend line up....

Patt08
01-19-2011, 11:41 PM
I've read that the "fully" synthetics like castrol syntec arent actually fully synthetic, which is what i'm curious about.

TRD_jordan
01-19-2011, 11:58 PM
it's all about MOTUL... only thing i use tried royal purple and mobil 1.... still doesn't comepare to Motul.

CapnCrunch
01-20-2011, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Patt08
I've read that the "fully" synthetics like castrol syntec arent actually fully synthetic, which is what i'm curious about.

They get some of the basestock from non-synthetic sources. Most synthetic oils do now. Mobil tried to sue Castrol for using some non-synthetic base stocks and still calling them synthetic oil, but they lost. Now almost everone uses them.

What does that mean to you? Fuck all. You'll never notice a difference, and neither will your vehicle.

And +1 on Royal Purple being junk.

And +2 on Amsoil being nothing more than a stupid pyramid scheme.

Everlast
01-20-2011, 09:42 AM
US made castrol syntec is a blend.

German castrol like TWS 10w60 is fully synthetic.

Never used Mobil 1 but that's full synthetic as well.

Amsoil = snake oil

CapnCrunch
01-20-2011, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Everlast

Never used Mobil 1 but that's full synthetic as well.

Not any more.

Tik-Tok
01-20-2011, 11:16 AM

If you look on the back of a Castrol container, it'll say something to the effect of "Blended in USA", which means it's not synthetic.

The only common Castrol product that is (that I've found), is 0W30 found at Crappy Tire. It's "Made in Germany", and is actual synthetic.

Everlast
01-20-2011, 11:17 AM
I stand corrected then.

When did they change it? Do you have a source?

Tik-Tok
01-20-2011, 11:25 AM
I stand corrected then.

They've carried German Castrol (as said only 0W30) for awhile now, and Germany doesn't have the non-standardized "synthetic" market like North America does.

Everlast
01-20-2011, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

They've carried German Castrol (as said only 0W30) for awhile now, and Germany doesn't have the non-standardized "synthetic" market like North America does.

My bad, I should have quoted CapnCrunch. It was directed to him.

Zero102
01-20-2011, 12:23 PM
I thought this debate stemmed from the use of Group III base stock as a "fully synthetic" oil instead of a group IV/V base stock, not about blending a true synthetic oil with a conventional one?

bmeier
01-20-2011, 12:34 PM
oil threads always make me laugh for the majority of people out there why do you think one oil is better than another? have you actually had your oil analysed or did you just get your opinion from something you read on the internet

npham
01-20-2011, 12:57 PM
Does anyone here use Royal Purple? *Edit* And if so, what places carry it?

Mopac carries it.

Tik-Tok
01-20-2011, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by bmeier
oil threads always make me laugh for the majority of people out there why do you think one oil is better than another? have you actually had your oil analysed or did you just get your opinion from something you read on the internet

I don't need to have my oil analyzed when Amsoil and Mobil1 was completely black after 5000kms in my car, and Castrol 0W30 was only a little brown.

CapnCrunch
01-20-2011, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
I thought this debate stemmed from the use of Group III base stock as a "fully synthetic" oil instead of a group IV/V base stock, not about blending a true synthetic oil with a conventional one?

You are right on this.

CapnCrunch
01-20-2011, 01:08 PM

I don't need to have my oil analyzed when Amsoil and Mobil1 was completely black after 5000kms in my car, and Castrol 0W30 was only a little brown.

Sounds like Amsoil and Mobil were doing their job and cleaning your engine, while the Castrol didn't.

But feel free to spread more ignorance, the good news is there are many more like you on the internet.

heavyD
01-20-2011, 01:09 PM
For the most part I don't get too excited about engine oil as todays dyno oils all provide more than enough protection for most engines and synthietics like Mobil 1 are more than enough for cars that require synthetic oil. Pretty well the only oil I refuse to use in any of our vehicles is Royal Purple because it's garbage oil and I say this from personal experience as well as countless others I've conversed with over the internet that have had engine failures and other issues on perfectly good engines using the oil.

962 kid
01-20-2011, 01:10 PM

Yeah? And what exactly does the color of the oil tell you? Does it tell you that Amsoil and M1 break down more readily than GC? Or does it mean that the 0w30 has a less effective detergent package? Is color at all indicative of remaining TBN?

:rolleyes:

heavyD
01-20-2011, 01:11 PM

Colour is not an indication of quality or performance of engine oil.

CapnCrunch
01-20-2011, 01:14 PM
I stand corrected then.

They changed it because the ruling basically meant that Castrol would have a huge advantage in price. Making a Group 3 basestock from dino oil is much cheaper than mixing chemicals in a lab to make a group 4/5.

If you look on Bitog, there are some oil analysis's done that show it. Mobil won't outright admit it though, as they tried to sue Castrol and would look hypocritical doing the same thing.

It really doesn't matter though. People should be more concerned about the oil additives, than the basestock compostion. Group 3 synthetics can still be very good oils.

Tik-Tok
01-20-2011, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

Sounds like Amsoil and Mobil were doing their job and cleaning your engine, while the Castrol didn't.

But feel free to spread more ignorance, the good news is there are many more like you on the internet.

Feel free to keep being a condescending douche too, the good news is there are many more like you on the internet. :thumbsup:

Sugarphreak
01-20-2011, 01:30 PM

J-hop
01-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
For the most part I don't get too excited about engine oil as todays dyno oils all provide more than enough protection for most engines and synthietics like Mobil 1 are more than enough for cars that require synthetic oil. Pretty well the only oil I refuse to use in any of our vehicles is Royal Purple because it's garbage oil and I say this from personal experience as well as countless others I've conversed with over the internet that have had engine failures and other issues on perfectly good engines using the oil.

I duno I personally would NOT run dyno juice on a turbo vehicle. I ran dyno juice during the break in of my last turbo motor and after break in switched to synthetic and noticed a huge difference in oil longevity. (Please, trolls, don't try to argue with me about using dyno juice during the break in period of a motor, that isn't up for debate here)

As far as synthetic oils go I'd be more concerned about finding the appropriate weight for the application than comparing different brands because everyone seems to have a different take on synthetics. As long as you are buying a high quality synthetic oil (and not your coop gold special) I wouldn't worry a heck of a lot if you aren't building a weekend warrior track motor.

Plus the OP drives an RX-8 and from what i've read these engines go through oil like a kid through candy hahaha so chances are you won't even have time to notice a difference.

Patt08
01-20-2011, 03:12 PM
Thank's for all the replies, they were incredibly helpfull :werd:
It's such a debated over topic, i'm just trying to find a fully synthetic oil, not something thats half synthetic and half mineral, or 'Blended'. From what i have come across, Amsoil, Redline, etc. are true full synethtics!! Thanks again for all the help, i'll do some more more research now that i know what to look for:)

Everlast
01-20-2011, 03:21 PM
Is it too simplistic to say that class 4/5 oils are better than class 3s?

Pollywog
01-20-2011, 03:44 PM
This thread is so full of stupid it makes my brain hurt.

CapnCrunch
01-20-2011, 04:27 PM
Thank's for all the replies, they were incredibly helpfull :werd:
It's such a debated over topic, i'm just trying to find a fully synthetic oil, not something thats half synthetic and half mineral, or 'Blended'. From what i have come across, Amsoil, Redline, etc. are true full synethtics!! Thanks again for all the help, i'll do some more more research now that i know what to look for:)

They aren't blended, just super refined dino basestocks. They are far more superior than regular dino.

Please don't just think of it as Group 4/5 oils are better than Group 3 oils. In most cases they aren't.

CapnCrunch
01-20-2011, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

I duno I personally would NOT run dyno juice on a turbo vehicle.

+1, Definitely don't use it in a Turbo.

Graham_A_M
01-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Castrol Syntec is quite good, better then Mobil 1 in most uses.
I use Motul and AmsOil, as my bike & cars all run way better (and cooler) using both then anything else.

g-m
01-20-2011, 06:53 PM
Is it too simplistic to say that class 4/5 oils are better than class 3s? yes

davesparky6
01-21-2011, 10:37 AM
Heres how I decide which oil I'm going to use:
Spill Brand A all over 1/2 the garage,
Slide girlfriend from one end
Spill Brand B over the other 1/2 of the garage.
Slide Girlfriend from one end
After this all I have to do is measure the distance that she slid, the oil that she goes furthest on wins.

Graham_A_M
01-21-2011, 11:15 AM
^ Fantastic way of figuring out high RPM frothing issues or temp breakdown!

heavyD
01-21-2011, 11:47 AM

+1, Definitely don't use it in a Turbo.

I used dyno oil in my 1993 MR2 Turbo and 1993 Talon TSi. Zero problems at all. If the manufacturer doesn't reccomend it it's not really required. I use Mobil 1 in my EVO because that's the manufacturers recomendation. I could use a designer synthetic but for the what I use the car for these days it would be nothing but a waste of money. If you have heavily modded your car and take it to the track often you would be better served using synthetic but if you are just daily driving the only real benefit is longer oil change intervals and maybe improved cold weather starting. Nobody owns their cars long enough these days to see any of the benefits of running synthetic oil.

davesparky6
01-21-2011, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ Fantastic way of figuring out high RPM frothing issues or temp breakdown!
I know! The point is, this thread is useless. The OP drives an RX-8, which means he is GOING to blow an engine. And WHEN his engine blows up he's probably going to blame the oil, and that oil will end up being bashed on some hate thread and we'll all have the same discussion once again.:banghead:

Xtrema
01-21-2011, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by davesparky6
Heres how I decide which oil I'm going to use:
Spill Brand A all over 1/2 the garage,
Slide girlfriend from one end
Spill Brand B over the other 1/2 of the garage.
Slide Girlfriend from one end
After this all I have to do is measure the distance that she slid, the oil that she goes furthest on wins.

As scientific as using oil as lube and see how fast your GF comes.

msommers
01-21-2011, 01:00 PM
Look through the forums on BITOG. Some oils perform better in some engines in contrast to others.

Vr4Whore
01-22-2011, 09:18 PM
From various forums I found that the only true synthetic oils are:

Redline
Motul
Amsoil

Rotella T is fairly new, but there are great reviews even from the non-synthetic blend

962 kid
01-22-2011, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Vr4Whore
From various forums I found that the only true synthetic oils are:

Redline
Motul
Amsoil

Rotella T is fairly new, but there are great reviews even from the non-synthetic blend

Good ol forums. Not that it matters really, but there are many more full synthetics than just those 3. Also, Rotella T is hardly a new lineup.

:closed: Useless thread

CapnCrunch
01-23-2011, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

I used dyno oil in my 1993 MR2 Turbo and 1993 Talon TSi. Zero problems at all. If the manufacturer doesn't reccomend it it's not really required. I use Mobil 1 in my EVO because that's the manufacturers recomendation. I could use a designer synthetic but for the what I use the car for these days it would be nothing but a waste of money. If you have heavily modded your car and take it to the track often you would be better served using synthetic but if you are just daily driving the only real benefit is longer oil change intervals and maybe improved cold weather starting. Nobody owns their cars long enough these days to see any of the benefits of running synthetic oil.

Thats great.

Unknown303
01-23-2011, 02:51 PM
These threads are retarded. I didn't know we had so many oil experts that obviously do oil sample comparisons for a living.

I used Rotella T in my diesel and have nothing bad to say about it, beyond that I have no fucking clue whats a better oil. All companies are about profit so chances of you finding one that is going for broke offering you the best damn oil possibly probably isn't going to happen. They all find a way to bend the rules for profit.

Sugarphreak
01-23-2011, 02:56 PM

heavyD
01-23-2011, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Question for the people calling conventional oil, "dyno oil";

Are you using it only as directed on a dynamometer or are you convinced it has come from a dinosaur (dyno-saur)?

I only use dyno oil that was proven to come from T-Rex remains.

heavyD
01-23-2011, 03:37 PM

Thats great.

Not really. I really need your approval to validate my post.:rolleyes: It's not true unless the internet synthetic oil experts say it is.:poosie:

Sugarphreak
01-23-2011, 05:12 PM

Unknown303
01-23-2011, 05:14 PM

Well they do say that it has more bite than other grades
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: somehow this is the best post of this whole shitty shitty thread.

J-hop
01-23-2011, 10:32 PM
Question for the people calling conventional oil, "dyno oil";

Are you using it only as directed on a dynamometer or are you convinced it has come from a dinosaur (dyno-saur)?

It is an old running joke to call conventional dino juice (dino or dyno as in referring to dinosaurs) due possibly to the fact that it is old school or only dinosaurs use it or jokingly that is the actual "juice" from dinosaurs??? I'm sure everyone has a slightly different take on it haha.

Everyone knows dinosaurs are not sources of oil (well ok they may have had a VERY small contribution in VERY localized conditions), it is just a joke....

kvg
01-23-2011, 11:13 PM
In my 2 old cars I ran mobil because I ran them harder. Now I run conventional oil. Everyone is gonna stand up for what they use if it's working and the motor hasn't blown, that's not an insult just what I have observed. I have always just changed my oil sooner in the summer when the car gets run harder.