PDA

View Full Version : Before/After images of Australia Flooding

240SX92
01-19-2011, 09:34 PM
Was not in Australia too long ago, stayed in Brisbane for a month... Pretty crazy to see all the places I went flooded. Here's some links to before / after sliding pictures of the flooding.

Take note of the man made beach half way down the page, with the title Southbank, then look at the picture below I took when I was there. Theres also a second link to more on that page.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/infographics/qld-floods/beforeafter.htm

Here:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs330.ash1/28646_707599344296_121501259_41405581_4681801_n.jpg

Dumbass17
01-19-2011, 10:16 PM
yeah im' on the gold coast right now. aus is getting fooked up. i flew from brissy to mackay (before brissy flooded) and there was SO MUCH WATER all over the place when you looked out the plan windows. just devastating.
i have a friend who was still in brisbane during the flooding and he said he spent the day watching huge yachts/boats/jetskis smash around and destroy eachother all day.
hectic shit.
i'm just hoping the goldy doesn't flood. been here almost 8 months and have seen more rainy days than sunny :(

FraserB
01-19-2011, 11:43 PM
Its soooo much devastation right now. My mothers side of the family is spread between Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne. I was planning to go back down this year since it has been about 3 years since my last trip but Im not too sure now, if I do go it will be to help rebuild and not for vacation.

@Dumbass17, have you had a chance to head to Sydney yet? It was one of my favorite spots when I was there last time.

Mar
01-20-2011, 01:13 AM
The average elevation of Brisbane, Australia is 15 meters.

Why are people surprised?

syritis
01-20-2011, 05:06 AM
I lol'd at the floating docks

Spoons
01-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Mar

Exactly my thoughts.

Since the age I was old enough to camp, I was always taught to set your tent up on high ground in case of flooding. As soon as I learned about elevations then, I proceeded to think to myself, "Are these people fucking retarded? Why would you want to live in places so close to sea level, and in some cases (New Orleans) below sea level?"

I'm happy up hurr in Calgary, and luckily my favourite vacations involve mountains.

phreezee
01-20-2011, 10:08 PM
The trees and grass never looked greener! The after pictures look photoshopped.

Dumbass17
01-21-2011, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
@Dumbass17, have you had a chance to head to Sydney yet? It was one of my favorite spots when I was there last time.

yeah i have. pretty much everything between melbourne and cairns.
sydney was alright, i didn't really do much there, i was there for about 4 days and just checked out the touristy stuff like the opera house, manly beach, harbour bridge, botanical gardens. that was about it.
i'm not a huge fan of big cities, too many people and too 'get out of my way i'm important and have stuff to do' atmosphere for my personal taste.
that's why i like the gold coast, lazy and chill!
plus there's no surfing in sydney. and im' ADDICTED

msommers
01-21-2011, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Mar

The amount of rainfall was exponential to what they normally get. Apparently the norm is a drought, however they got like 4 months worth in a day. That would fuck Calgary over too.

D'z Nutz
01-21-2011, 01:52 AM
They're in the lift, in the lorry, in the bond wizard, and all over the malonga gilderchuck.

Dave P
01-21-2011, 09:17 AM
The Sharks are finally going to get there glory.

Feruk
01-21-2011, 09:18 AM
Wow that's crazy! I remember eating at the restaurant just like a block away from the man made beach. Under water now!

Originally posted by Dumbass17

i'm not a huge fan of big cities, too many people and too 'get out of my way i'm important and have stuff to do' atmosphere for my personal taste.
that's why i like the gold coast, lazy and chill!
plus there's no surfing in sydney. and im' ADDICTED

Amen to that! Sydney and all the big cities were boring compared to all the small towns. Highly recommend Noosa, Byron Bay, Fraser Island, and Whitsundays.

00sir2
01-21-2011, 10:07 AM
My Folks live on the river in Brisbane, they said it's pretty crazy but the cleanup effort has been pretty amazing also. Lots of locals helping out with whatever they could, grocery stores cooking all of they're food from the stores to feed people without power etc etc. My Dad has gone back to work and they are starting to get back to reality. I think some of the outlying places in Australia got it worse though.

Spoons
01-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Really who cares anyways? Shouldn't they all be over here right now working ski lifts anyways?

Let future Australia deal with it.

Dumbass17
01-22-2011, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by Spoons
Really who cares anyways? Shouldn't they all be over here right now working ski lifts anyways?

Let future Australia deal with it.
dickhead

B20EF
01-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Some people are acting like this is the apocolypse but I've read this is only the worst flooding in 30 years. 30 Years! They have dealt with this before, it's not a total surprise. Just a bit more infrastructure now.

boxer23
01-22-2011, 09:06 PM
Dumbass17 are you working in Goldy? or you going to school?

Dumbass17
01-24-2011, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by boxer23
Dumbass17 are you working in Goldy? or you going to school?
I'm working here...well, start work again in feb anyways :poosie: