PDA

View Full Version : Starting a degree here, finishing it elsewhere

ekguy
01-20-2011, 09:44 AM
I want to go into engineering once I move back home but looks like that will take me longer than expected. Is it possible to start at one university and then finish it at another one?

I would not do a full course load since I would like to keep my job, but wouldn't mind getting started on it here since I know i won't be moving back for at least 2 years.

kaput
01-20-2011, 09:46 AM

ekguy
01-20-2011, 09:48 AM
True. I wanted to go into a pretty specific course back home that isn't offered in University but at a college...Which would set me back if I started at university here...I want to focus on alternate energy sources.

dandia89
01-20-2011, 10:27 AM
basic chemistry, physics, calculus will most likely get transfer credit for engineering at any university.

boarderfatty
01-20-2011, 10:43 AM
something else you may have to consider is that most Universities require you to complete the last 60 credits of your degree at the one institution.

I know with my business degree I am getting fawked over a little. I started at the U of A in Arts getting my pre requesits done but missed the deadline for applying to Business so I decided to get some courses out of the way at Grant MacEwan. The courses I am taking transfer over, but when I go back to the U of A next year, I will 84 Credits, so even though I every course I have taken will transfer back to the U of A I have maxed out the 60 credits I am allowed to bring over to the U of A Bcom program and I will lose and have to retake 24 credits again (8 classes) So really academically there was no point in going to school this year which doesnt help keep me motivated to maintain my 3.7 GPA

mo_money2supe
01-20-2011, 11:00 AM
I started my engineering degree at the U of C (had 3 semesters worth of transferable courses) and finished at the U of S. WORST IDEA EVER! My first year at the U of S consisted of 3 credit courses simply because those were pre-reqs for any latter year U of S engineering courses and I didn't get the transfer credit from U of C. Second year wasn't any better at 5 credit courses throughout the year. Essentially, the U of S deemed I didn't have enough to go straight into 2nd year engineering since I didn't have the right pre-reqs (for U of S's program anyway). I basically lost 2 years right off the bat when I went to the U of S.

If you're wanting to finish your schooling quick, it'll save you more time, money, and headache to just start and finish at the same place. Otherwise, you'll be taking school part-time while you catch up to the stream of things at your second university.

sunny071
01-20-2011, 06:00 PM
Its tough to transfer courses between two provinces. Check the Alberta transfer guide (http://alis.alberta.ca/ps/ep/aas/ta/admissions.html) maybe they have transfer agreement. Make you are positive what courses transfer, don't waste 500+ on a course that you can't use.

ekguy
01-20-2011, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I'm thinking I may end up staying here...Who knows though.