PDA

View Full Version : nikon d80 repair question

ajooo
01-20-2011, 05:19 PM
i have a d80 and unfortunately someone accidently spilt some drink on it, however it still turns on and takes pictures but the mode dial wont turn and flash wont pop up.

so i was thinking it might just need a cleaning? unless there is actually a major problem with it.

does anyone know where i can get it repaired/cleaned?

also, does anyone have any experience with the nikon repair service and how much it roughly costs?

Mitsu3000gt
01-20-2011, 05:29 PM
No idea of the cost but just send it to Nikon. They will tell you if a cleaning will fix it or not. If not, it may not be worth fixing.

As for the service experience, there are very positive reviews as well as horror stories with EVERY camera manufacturer's service department. Typically with turn around time.

blitz
01-20-2011, 06:06 PM
Was it a sugary drink? Sounds like you just have some physically stuck components.

Personally I'd try taking out the battery and then spraying some warm water onto the dial and flash and try to get them moving. Then spray some more on if it does start moving. Be sure to leave it un-powered in a warm place for quite some time afterward. I'm sure a trip to Nikon will end up costing you more than it's worth.

In my first year of university I spilled a glass of ice tea on my laptop. Every single key was stuck down. Took it apart myself, washed all the components in warm water, let dry for a few days and it was as good as new.

ajooo
01-20-2011, 06:34 PM
yeah im pretty sure it was coke or something.

would spraying water damage the electronic components though?

blitz
01-20-2011, 08:34 PM
Not if there's no electricity and it's fully dry before putting the battery back in.

I wouldn't soak it, but I'm guessing it won't take that much to get them moving again.

morpheus256
01-21-2011, 11:20 AM
I'd never use water from the tap etc, the ONLY water i would use would be mineral free water but even then i'd think twice. the minerals in the water can cause electrical shorts.

what i typically use is 99.99% isopropyl alcohol. I wouldn't "spray" it either, but soak a q-tip/cotton towel. and wipe the areas down.

Isopropyl may also damage the mode wheel if it's using a graphite conductor assembly. the best way is to disassemble it, and clean each part individually.

blitz
01-21-2011, 11:46 AM
I personally think there's more risk in disassembling it that there is at working at just the exterior with water.

Chances are the electronics are untouched and the coke just gummed up the dial and where the flash meets the body.

ercchry
01-21-2011, 11:50 AM
they sell electronic cleaners you know... stay away from water

ajooo
01-21-2011, 10:20 PM
but you guys just think it needs a cleaning? i'll try to give that cleaning method a try though