PDA

View Full Version : Compustar siren no longer works

Mar
01-20-2011, 05:36 PM
I'm very hesitant to post this here but it's very important to note that the paging still works. Even though the siren doesn't make noise, I'll still beat you to death if I find you in my car.

About a year ago out of nowhere my siren stopped making noise. It won't chirp when I hit the button and when the alarm goes off it doesn't make any noise. I haven't heard anything come out of it for a year now.

I checked the wiring going into the siren, that's all good, all wiring going into the brain are good and the mute function is not on on the remote. Do these sirens have a habit of dying? Are there certain wires I can put power to to test the siren?

jadenstate
01-20-2011, 05:40 PM
Yeah I had one go a while back, i guess it just got water in it and eventually died. You can test it by just pulling it out and putting the wires on your car battery, if it makes noise then its good, and that means something wrong with your alarm. If it doesnt then it died, should be easy to get another one from a dealer in town.

G-ZUS
01-20-2011, 05:40 PM
hook it up to your battery direct, it should make a noise.

jaylo
01-20-2011, 05:44 PM
LOL on the beatdown, but anyways you can pick one up from AutoDream for about $50, same thing happened to me and I was able to grab one from any auto shops that installs alarm.

You can even probably pay someone in Future Shop or Best Buy on the side to give you a used one.

Mar
01-20-2011, 05:49 PM
So cut siren out, replace and solder joins?
I'll test the siren over the weekend, thanks.

jadenstate
01-20-2011, 05:50 PM
I bet $20 or less, check autotemp too
Used siren FTW

G-ZUS
01-20-2011, 06:46 PM
I got a siren some where in the garage if you want

Mar
01-20-2011, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS
I got a siren some where in the garage if you want
Wicked, that'll work. Can you pull it out and let me know if it's a Compustar siren or if that even matters? How much you want for it?

Thaco
01-20-2011, 10:12 PM
it shouldn't matter, should just be 2 wires, negative and positive.

G-ZUS
01-20-2011, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
it shouldn't matter, should just be 2 wires, negative and positive.

What he said, I will look tomorrow

talonboi
01-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Mar
I'm very hesitant to post this here but it's very important to note that the paging still works. Even though the siren doesn't make noise, I'll still beat you to death if I find you in my car.

About a year ago out of nowhere my siren stopped making noise. It won't chirp when I hit the button and when the alarm goes off it doesn't make any noise. I haven't heard anything come out of it for a year now.

I checked the wiring going into the siren, that's all good, all wiring going into the brain are good and the mute function is not on on the remote. Do these sirens have a habit of dying? Are there certain wires I can put power to to test the siren?

come by autodream, i'll check it out for you and replace the siren (if its damaged) at no cost. just come in and see me:thumbsup:

Mar
01-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by talonboi

come by autodream, i'll check it out for you and replace the siren (if its damaged) at no cost. just come in and see me:thumbsup:
Wow, haven't dealt with Auto Dream before but this is nice of you. You might have a new customer.

silvercivicsir
01-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Check the Ground.. i bet it's all rusty

jaylo
01-21-2011, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by talonboi

Dammit I had to pay for mine a couple of years ago, but oh well, next time!

Mar
01-21-2011, 06:07 PM
Autodream to the rescue! I brought it by and they looked at it for free, found out the module wasn't sending out a signal for the siren anymore. They replaced the module under warranty (lifetime), charged me half an hour labour and I was on my way again.

I've never been to that shop before but the guys were awesome and everyone seems to know their way around a car. Recommended! :thumbsup:

Mar
01-22-2011, 09:30 PM
Wow, they even organized my bad wiring job and zip tied things together. I had to cut out a wire I needed to finish my power window install but otherwise awesome.

talonboi
01-22-2011, 09:43 PM
I'm glad your happy with the work dan!:thumbsup: