PDA

View Full Version : Truck wont start after Recent COLD??

RPM
01-20-2011, 06:51 PM
so im no mechanic wich is why Ive come here for some help with what could be wrong with my truck.

heres whats happened so far

after it was around minus 30 over night i had not plugged in my truck, It usually starts on cold days if do this but this time It started for about 30 seconds and then died...tried it again and it did the same thing.. but this time the battery was completely dead after running.

Later on in the day i boosted the truck and it would start and would struggle to run for more then a few seconds. eventually it would not even run anymore.

I have since charged the battery and it has maintained a charge for the last few days....my thoughts were that I had a frozen gas line because my tank was a bit low... so i put in some gas line antifreeze and topped the tank up with 40liters of gas and have since kept trying it everyday thinking maybe when the weather warms up it will start

No dice, The fuel pump turns on i can hear it.... the truck turns over....battery seems fine, Ive tried it with a boost and it does the same thing as without turns over but doesnt start.

I feel like its fuel related but i need help diagnosing my problem... could it still be frozen up even after a fairly warm yet freezing day...should i tow it inside? is there a better product to use to try and get it to start....any help would be awesome

adam c
01-20-2011, 07:25 PM
sounds like it's frozen gas, it hasn't been warm enough to thaw it out and adding gas line antifreeze is too late once it's frozen, you should get it somewhere warm for 24 hours to thaw it out

master hec0
01-20-2011, 07:26 PM
spray some starting fluid in the intake see if it fires. if it does its a fuel delivery issue. if not probably electric.

AE92_TreunoSC
01-20-2011, 08:10 PM
Gas lines freezing is very rare these days.

The truck needs to be diagnosed. You start by checking fuel pressure, then spark.

Without knowing either of those two variables, you have no where to start.

I've rarely met frozen gas lines, and usually it only causes issues in deep deep cold, on a vehicle that has been subjected to a lot of condensation over a long period of time.

The only quick fix I can suggest is to bang on the gas tank while cranking it, this can sometimes shake the fuel pump into motion and create fuel pressure to get the vehicle to a shop or to at least verify if it is in fact the fuel pump.

Rat Fink
01-20-2011, 08:51 PM

RPM
01-20-2011, 09:13 PM
its a 2000 chevrolet tahoe

thanks for the help

Rat Fink
01-21-2011, 07:24 AM