PDA

View Full Version : Salvage Auction Question

2BLUE
01-21-2011, 02:16 AM
Its late so i can't call, friends are over and were arguing about....

Do you have to be a dealer to buy from these places???

Impact Auto Auctions
Calgary salvage disposal

Thanks guys!

asifka
01-21-2011, 02:18 AM
Impact is for dealers only.
Salvage Salvage is for everybody.

2BLUE
01-21-2011, 02:18 AM

2BLUE
01-21-2011, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by asifka
Impact is for dealers only.
Salvage Salvage is for everybody.

Thanks!!!

2BLUE
01-21-2011, 02:21 AM
Maybe one other question...

Is there a way to tell what things have sold for in the past on calgary salvage disposal ? I cant seem to find it nor reserve prices.

streethondas
01-21-2011, 02:34 AM
Impact is not for dealers only... :facepalm: You need a membership which is $180-$200 I think my dad use to buy vehicles from there all the time!

ddduke
01-21-2011, 10:25 AM
You don't need a dealers license for either. Tons of body men and mechanics buy from there then re sell.

2BLUE
01-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by streethondas
Impact is not for dealers only... :facepalm: You need a membership which is $180-$200 I think my dad use to buy vehicles from there all the time!

To become a registered buyer with Impact you must be in the Automotive industry. You must be registered under the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act, own a body shop, or be in the salvage business

G-ZUS
01-21-2011, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by 2BLUE

To become a registered buyer with Impact you must be in the Automotive industry. You must be registered under the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act, own a body shop, or be in the salvage business

No you don't. They are open to the public, they used to be dealers/bodymen etc only but they changed it ~2-3 years ago. I still remember when cars used to go cheap there, now after they opened to the public the cars go for more.

2BLUE
01-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

No you don't. They are open to the public, they used to be dealers/bodymen etc only but they changed it ~2-3 years ago. I still remember when cars used to go cheap there, now after they opened to the public the cars go for more.

I got the last post from their website.

I'll check it out either way.

Graham_A_M
01-21-2011, 11:04 AM
I know with Calgary Salvage & Disposal you can be a public member, but you have to sign up beforehand and thus be a registered bidder.

It sucks though, its a silent auction, so you really have to know what the vehicles worth and make a wise choice before placing a bid.
They have an Edmonton based location as well for the northern Alberta stuff.
Lastly for these types of auctions would be the Calgary parking one; being these guys
http://www.calgaryparking.com/web/guest/impoundlot/vehicleauction
^ You can find some good deals generally, but most vehicles were left there because the owner didn't want them back for some reason, so again you really have to check things out beforehand.

I had a co-worker very stupidly not register or insure his Blazer in from BC, since he was unable to prove it was his it went for auction. Some guy got an almost mint blazer for $600.

ddduke
01-21-2011, 11:18 AM
^^^ the parking authority has some good vehicles too. Earlier this year I sold a newer 3/4 ton Chev and for some weird reason the buyer didn't register or insure it and it got towed. Sure enough they called me trying to get me to claim it, but when I explained that I sold it they said that I'd be committing fraud if I did claim it.

Long story short, the truck went for auction and someone got a great deal.

tom_9109
01-21-2011, 09:12 PM
To Confirm

Impact does require a membership but anyone can get one provided they pay the fee.