PDA

View Full Version : Car Towed to City Impound...

broken_legs
01-21-2011, 07:39 AM
So had my car towed to City impound for a parking violation

70$ to get it out.

What happens if i just leave it there? How long before the city auctions it off?

theken
01-21-2011, 07:48 AM
You have 30 days to claim it. You will also get a $500 bill generally. (From what I have heard)

broken_legs
01-21-2011, 08:02 AM
for reals?

I was just kind of hoping I could leave it there and never worry about it again. :banghead:

racerjim
01-21-2011, 08:09 AM
the sooner you get it the cheaper it will be.

If you leave it there, it collects storage charges of 24 bucks a day, after 21 days they decide if its worthy of the auction or just scrap.

then they forward the bill from the impound to the registries office which you have to pay before they will renew your plates, licence or anything else. Like a ticket.

The only way you'll get away without paying anything is if the car makes more then $1000 from the auction.

Good luck and what kind of car is it?

broken_legs
01-21-2011, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by racerjim
the sooner you get it the cheaper it will be.

If you leave it there, it collects storage charges of 24 bucks a day, after 21 days they decide if its worthy of the auction or just scrap.

then they forward the bill from the impound to the registries office which you have to pay before they will renew your plates, licence or anything else. Like a ticket.

The only way you'll get away without paying anything is if the car makes more then $1000 from the auction.

Good luck and what kind of car is it?

shitty...

I left it in the parkade overnight when it broke down, then it was towed, then I left for work for just under 2 months.

Sounds like the car will be gone now and I will have a big fat bill to pay?

I dont care if i never see it again, but I dont want to pay a bill for a car that I was about to donate to charity! :cry:

Do you know if it gets scrapped does the vehicle still remain registered to me?

03ozwhip
01-21-2011, 10:00 AM
this happened to me like 10 years ago, i never bothered to get it and i never got a bill for it:dunno:

turbotrip
01-21-2011, 11:11 AM
a friend of mine had something similar happen, and he made a random bill of sale to Joe Blow and took it to them and that gets you off the hook for any charges. not that i would enourage that ofcourse

civiclvr
01-21-2011, 12:58 PM
You could always just donate it? get a tax reciept in the mail, but you still have to pay for the impound and towing fees up until that point.

IRL
01-21-2011, 11:41 PM
Same scenario happened to me in 2001 with a $500 winter beater. It was towed and held for 30 days in the impound. I called and was told it was going to be over $600 to pull it out...0I left the car there and never heard of it again??