PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy the show home or built a same one?

Pages : [1] 2

vtec96
01-21-2011, 09:22 AM
I have been living in a Condo/Apartment for 7 years and it's time to move on.

Since it's my first house, I have no idea about lots of stuff!

Benefits of buying a show home?
1. Just need to wait for 3~5 months to move in.
2. Comes with all upgraded stuff
3. better location

However, there are still some layouts that I don't like..
So I was thinking about to built a same one with the layouts I like.

The show home is asking around $770K If I built a same one (without so many upgrades), it's around $680K

Do you really get lots of benefits for buying a show home?

Kobe
01-21-2011, 09:28 AM
They always make sure the Showhome looks a lot nicer then all of there other houses (Pretty much every company) so that is def a + to buying a showhome...

sputnik
01-21-2011, 09:39 AM
A problem with highly optioned show homes is that you rarely get the money back from all of the upgrades.

Generally people will not build a house that is optioned as much as a show home and should you ever sell your place the price your realtor calculates will be based on an average price per sq ft in the area.

So if your ensuite may have $20,000 worth of marble tile and high end fixtures but you probably won't get any of that back when you sell.

89coupe
01-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
A problem with highly optioned show homes is that you rarely get the money back from all of the upgrades.

Generally people will not build a house that is optioned as much as a show home and should you ever sell your place the price your realtor calculates will be based on an average price per sq ft in the area.

So if your ensuite may have $20,000 worth of marble tile and high end fixtures but you probably won't get any of that back when you sell.

Nonsense, I added more upgrades to my home then the showhome had...lol...and pretty much every friend I know has done the same with their home.

ArjayAquino
01-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe

Nonsense, I added more upgrades to my home then the showhome had...lol...and pretty much every friend I know has done the same with their home.

agreed, otherwise what's the point of renovations (other than makin it nicer) ??

ercchry
01-21-2011, 10:33 AM

i think you need a new realtor

Lex350
01-21-2011, 10:35 AM
I would never, ever buy a showhome. Build quality is usually lacking.

88CRX
01-21-2011, 10:39 AM
There does become a point when you price or upgrade your house out of the market of the neighborhood.

vtec96
01-21-2011, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by rotten42
I would never, ever buy a showhome. Build quality is usually lacking.

It's a model home so the quality should be better?

89coupe
01-21-2011, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX
There does become a point when you price or upgrade your house out of the market of the neighborhood.

Usually people upgrading at that level are already building in a neighbour hood that can support it.

max_boost
01-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Not a worry. New home prices will go up 10% this year.

:D

sputnik
01-21-2011, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX

Which is the majority of show homes.

I remember a couple of years ago the showhomes in Copperleaf (nicer section of Copperfield).

The area was in the $480-600k range (Jayman, Baywest, Cedarglen, Cardel etc). However the showhomes were all in the $700-850k range. Sure they were nice. However they were all $500k houses optioned like crazy with finished basements, walkout lots and over the top finishings.

At $700-850k I would rather buy a base model house in an estate area built by Morrison or Albi and not be the most expensive house on the block.

thinmyster
01-21-2011, 10:46 AM

Usually people upgrading at that level are already building in a neighbour hood that can support it.

Agree. he is looking at almost million dollar homes/neighbourhoods not 300 thousand dollar starter homes

sputnik
01-21-2011, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
i think you need a new realtor

Not really. Ask any realtor and they will tell you the same thing.

You can put a $1000 Toto toilet in your bathroom or $20 sq/ft exotic hardwood floors, but you aren't going to get that back when you sell the house because 99.9% of buyers don't care that much about buying overpriced bling at builder markup.

Even finished basements rarely net what was invested. A typical 800-1000 sq ft finished basement will add $30,000 to the selling price, but a builder will charge you $50-60k for them to do it initially.

89coupe
01-21-2011, 10:55 AM

Even finished basements rarely net what was invested. A typical 800-1000 sq ft finished basement will add $30,000 to the selling price, but a builder will charge you $50-60k for them to do it initially.

Now I know you are just full of shit...lol

ercchry
01-21-2011, 10:59 AM

no its simple, he does not value upgrades so he assumes that 99.9% of buys do not either :rofl:

is the most expensive house on the block for everyone? no... but there are people out there that do want the most expensive house on the block, and will pay the money for it :nut:

turbotrip
01-21-2011, 11:00 AM

lol :werd:

lint
01-21-2011, 11:16 AM
have to agree with sputnik on this one, since he's talking about resale value. If you put $30K in mods to a car, do you realistically expect to sell it for $30K more than stock? Same goes for a house.

arian_ma
01-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Does your car price appreciate too?

89coupe
Originally posted by lint
have to agree with sputnik on this one, since he's talking about resale value. If you put $30K in mods to a car, do you realistically expect to sell it for $30K more than stock? Same goes for a house.

Homes appreciate, put the crack pipe down.

ercchry

ummmm... no

go ask anyone what they want in a house.

hardwood
finished basement
granite counters

people will pay more for all of those... will a house still shelter you without those things? yes... so those would be considered UPGRADES.

"mods" are taking something that was engineered to work as a fluid machine... and hacking it... that does not add value, that is why we call them mods and not upgrades

HiTempguy1
01-21-2011, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by vtec96

It's a model home so the quality should be better?

Ahhahahahahaha *breathes*

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Having been in almost every new house in Red Deer from 2007 through 2009, no, that is not how it works AT ALL. I personally wouldn't buy a new house unless it was built from a small custom house builder as I've heard and seen VERY LITTLE quality workmanship out there.

whodiman
01-21-2011, 11:29 AM
This is what the sales person in the home told me. They have no incentive to say this either: " The designers are paid to make the showhomes nice. The designers don't have to pay for the materials so they pick all the high end designs and looks. You can make your home look almost identical to the showhome for half if not 1/3 of the cost."

basically what she was saying was if you really liked the showhome don't pay the showhome price. Buy your home and make it look the same for way less.

sputnik
01-21-2011, 11:31 AM

Exactly.

If the mods are actually worth something then you can get some decent money on resale. Otherwise they are just aesthetic appeal and might help you sell the house faster, but not necessarily for more money.

Upgrades that are good investments.

- Additional square footage
- Developed basement (as long as the development cost less than the cost of a separate contractor after purchase).
- Bigger garages
- Higher ceilings
- Bigger windows
- Fireplaces

Upgrades that will get you nothing at resale. These aren't bad things if you are going to be in the house long term (10+ years), but will not be worth anything should you sell beforehand.

- Darker paint. Builders charge a fortune for darker paint and to have different colours in each room. Most buyers are willing to change the paint in houses they buy so "investing" in paint isn't for anyone other than yourself.

- Higher end floors and tile. Sure good floors last longer, but you won't sell for $10,000 more if you upgraded by $10,000. Not to mention that in a few years they could be out of style.

- Higher quality fixtures and appliances. Grohe, Toto, SubZero, Wolf are all pretty baller right now, but like modding a car, they eventually go out of style, become pretty common-place or wear out. Buy them for you, not for resale.

A good rule of thumb is to add upgrades that actually add something new to your house that you can't change after the fact. Floors, fixtures, appliances, paint and drapes can all be changed. Ceiling height and garage size cannot.

lint
01-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Homes appreciate, put the crack pipe down.

Homes depreciate. Land appreciates.

lint
01-21-2011, 11:37 AM

ummmm... no

hardwood
finished basement
granite counters

people will pay more for all of those... will a house still shelter you without those things? yes... so those would be considered UPGRADES.

"mods" are taking something that was engineered to work as a fluid machine... and hacking it... that does not add value, that is why we call them mods and not upgrades

People WANT everything. Few people are willing to pay for it. Especially when they're still used. Upgrades will help you sell a house, you just don't get back the full value, simple as that.

sputnik
01-21-2011, 11:37 AM

ummmm... no

hardwood
finished basement
granite counters

Hardwoods and granite are pretty much standard in any $500k+ house in Calgary these days.

Even if the house doesn't come with granite, it is cheaper to get granite after the fact than the builder would charge at the time of purchase.

Hardwoods (maple or oak) are pretty standard. Spending extra money for Brazilian Cherry or Mahogany isn't worth it.

Finished basements are RETARDED expensive from the builder and many won't even bother making it an option for buyers unless they are willing to drop some serious money. Cheaper to have it done by a good contractor afterwards.

sputnik
01-21-2011, 11:39 AM

Buy a 20 year old house and the first thing you realize is how much money you have to spend to make it look half decent inside and the work required in replacing the roof, windows, appliances and furnace.

lint
01-21-2011, 11:42 AM
Buy a 20 year old house and the first thing you realize is how much money you have to spend to make it look half decent inside and the work required in replacing the roof, windows, appliances and furnace.

89coupe wouldn't know because he and his 6 friends only buy new houses.

ercchry
01-21-2011, 11:44 AM

Hardwoods and granite are pretty much standard in any $500k+ house in Calgary these days.

and ask yourself why that is... its amazing how your opinion varies post to post

sputnik
01-21-2011, 11:51 AM

and ask yourself why that is... its amazing how your opinion varies post to post

They are popular and not much more expensive (when installing maple or oak) than carpet. Builders recognize this and incorporate it in the base price of their houses.

However, spending any more on some exotic hardwood will NOT get you any more money when you try and sell the house. Your listing can say that you spent $20,000 on the floors but if the neighbours selling their house with basemodel maple and are $20,000 cheaper you can easily guess which house sells first.

We are talking OPTIONS and UPGRADES here. Not what comes with the house as a part of the base finishings.

sputnik
01-21-2011, 11:54 AM
89coupe wouldn't know because he and his 6 friends only buy new houses.

One day he will have to sell his house and his outdated home automation wiring will be obsolete and worth nothing to the potential buyers and his investment will be worth as much as a 10 year old laptop.

89coupe
01-21-2011, 11:57 AM

The house is on the land smartass. If you buy a car and put it on your land will the car go up in price?

89coupe
01-21-2011, 12:01 PM

One day he will have to sell his house and his outdated home automation wiring will be obsolete and worth nothing to the potential buyers and his investment will be worth as much as a 10 year old laptop.

WTF does that have anything to do with this topic?

lint
01-21-2011, 12:07 PM
The house is on the land smartass. If you buy a car and put it on your land will the car go up in price?

I don't know if you're seriously this clueless about real estate or not.

sputnik
01-21-2011, 12:08 PM

WTF does that have anything to do with this topic?

To demonstrate how not all upgrades to homes actually add long term value to homes.

Styles change, technology changes and what was once only in high end products ends up everywhere. Who knows, home automation might be in starter homes 10 years from now.

If you are looking to increase your investment you have to recognize that some upgrades are only for your personal enjoyment and won't get you any money when you sell the house.

89coupe
01-21-2011, 12:10 PM

Exactly.

If the mods are actually worth something then you can get some decent money on resale. Otherwise they are just aesthetic appeal and might help you sell the house faster, but not necessarily for more money.

Upgrades that are good investments.

- Additional square footage
- Developed basement (as long as the development cost less than the cost of a separate contractor after purchase).
- Bigger garages
- Higher ceilings
- Bigger windows
- Fireplaces

Upgrades that will get you nothing at resale. These aren't bad things if you are going to be in the house long term (10+ years), but will not be worth anything should you sell beforehand.

- Darker paint. Builders charge a fortune for darker paint and to have different colours in each room. Most buyers are willing to change the paint in houses they buy so "investing" in paint isn't for anyone other than yourself.

- Higher end floors and tile. Sure good floors last longer, but you won't sell for $10,000 more if you upgraded by $10,000. Not to mention that in a few years they could be out of style.

- Higher quality fixtures and appliances. Grohe, Toto, SubZero, Wolf are all pretty baller right now, but like modding a car, they eventually go out of style, become pretty common-place or wear out. Buy them for you, not for resale.

A good rule of thumb is to add upgrades that actually add something new to your house that you can't change after the fact. Floors, fixtures, appliances, paint and drapes can all be changed. Ceiling height and garage size cannot.

I'm starting to think you have never built a home before.

When you upgrade your home through a builder you are paying a fraction of the cost then you would if you were to do it on your own.

Builders buy products in HUGE volumes and get HUGE discounts vs joe blow off the street. These prices are passed on to the new home buyer.

Depending on who your builder is these prices will vary.

Back to my original comment that most people making large upgrades are building in a community where the price will be supported.

Most upper end builders include all the things you mention with the basic package.

dawerks
01-21-2011, 12:15 PM
BUY THE SHOW HOME!

Why? Because it's usually first built, and if anything that's the only house that is going to be built better than the rest.

You can easily see the decline in build quality. Plus you're going to get alot of perks that are hard to monetize (for example you see listings of 'former show home' sell for MORE than com parables).

And location is the best too :) All the completed homes are around it and no more builder mess!

I say it's an easy choice over building your own unless you really don't like the layout of it. And 'building' your own home has it's own headaches.

sputnik
01-21-2011, 12:22 PM
I'm starting to think you have never built a home before.

Built 2
Sold 2

Will NEVER do it again unless it was a fully custom build from a small volume builder. I would rather reno an old house like I did with my current place. Better location, better built house and better choice of trades and quality.

When you upgrade your home through a builder you are paying a fraction of the cost then you would if you were to do it on your own.

Builders buy products in HUGE volumes and get HUGE discounts vs joe blow off the street. These prices are passed on to the new home buyer.

Depending on who your builder is these prices will vary.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This is the BEST yet. You really think you are getting a discount because you are building with a builder? Do you have any idea what your builder is taking in terms of their general contracting fees?

They are able to nickel and dime their suppliers and trades, but you my friend are paying full price and often much more. My second builder said that granite counter tops would be $15,000 from them. I took the measurements to 3 local contractors and their prices were in the $7000-9000 range. How about a deck? Basic PT lumber square deck from the builder was $120/sq ft. Built it myself for less than half in a single day with better materials and workmanship.

Builders are well aware that they can charge people WAY more because when buyers get upgrades done by the builder the buyer has no issues adding it to their mortgage.

I guess this is your first time building huh?

Back to my original comment that most people making large upgrades are building in a community where the price will be supported.

Most upper end builders include all the things you mention with the basic package.

Just because you have a community filled with ballers doesn't make a buyer willing to spend more money for your house compared to a less optioned house down the street.

Like I have said OVER and OVER again. The ONLY upgrades worth the money are those that are unable to be done after the fact or are actually cheaper than having a contractor do it later.

89coupe
01-21-2011, 12:45 PM

Built 2
Sold 2

Will NEVER do it again unless it was a fully custom build from a small volume builder. I would rather reno an old house like I did with my current place. Better location, better built house and better choice of trades and quality.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This is the BEST yet. You really think you are getting a discount because you are building with a builder? Do you have any idea what your builder is taking in terms of their general contracting fees?

They are able to nickel and dime their suppliers and trades, but you my friend are paying full price and often much more. My second builder said that granite counter tops would be $15,000 from them. I took the measurements to 3 local contractors and their prices were in the $7000-9000 range. How about a deck? Basic PT lumber square deck from the builder was $120/sq ft. Built it myself for less than half in a single day with better materials and workmanship.

Builders are well aware that they can charge people WAY more because when buyers get upgrades done by the builder the buyer has no issues adding it to their mortgage.

I guess this is your first time building huh?

Just because you have a community filled with ballers doesn't make a buyer willing to spend more money for your house compared to a less optioned house down the street.

Like I have said OVER and OVER again. The ONLY upgrades worth the money are those that are unable to be done after the fact or are actually cheaper than having a contractor do it later.

What builder were you dealing with? I did all quartz countertops in my home and it wasn't near that price and its the thick stuff to boot, not the glued two layer shit either, I'm talking a single cut piece.

My faucets were roughly half the price of what you would pay at a Home Depot or Canyon plumbing.

Same with my fireplace, way less through the builder.

Same with my hardwood and tile.

All my appliances had both the builders discount and the stores discount applied. Good luck buying your appliances for the price you can get them through a builder.

...and lights, holy crap, if I were to buy my lights from Carrington Lighting as a regular customer it would have cost me $15grand...LOL

I understand the prices are worked into the price of the home, but according to you, a person should buy a base home and upgrade after. You will pay more!!!

89coupe
01-21-2011, 12:49 PM
Hey sputnik,

would you like a challenge?

I will give you certain upgrades that I purchased through the builder, and you do your best to get the best prices possible for those items.

...and then after I will show you how much I paid for them.

max_boost
01-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Home prices will double in 10 years.

:thumbsup: :rofl: :drama:

C_Dave45
01-21-2011, 01:08 PM
Good god, the ignorance on both sides of the issue in this thread is amazing. The OP obviously has his own opinions on the matter and no amount of explanation will change it (regardless of whether it's right or wrong)

Here's a few facts.

1) Upgrades DO get you more money on resale but has NO effect on property assessment value. A house with tile everywhere fetches more than one with carpet and vinyl, but will have the same assessment value.

2) when paying for upgrades on a new build you pay WAY more than if you were to do them later on your own. (coupe you still have no idea of the construction process).

3) when buying a Showhome you will get those upgrades at a much lower price than if you were to build the very same house with the very same upgrades.

Why ask us our opinions OP, when you already have your mind made up?

sputnik
01-21-2011, 01:13 PM

sputnik
01-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
1) Upgrades DO get you more money on resale but has NO effect on property assessment value. A house with tile everywhere fetches more than one with carpet and vinyl, but will have the same assessment value.

Apples and oranges here.

Hardwood will definitely get you more money than carpet.

However spending an additional $10,000 on some exotic hardwood instead of going with the base maple or oak hardwoods will not get you $10,000 more when you sell your house.

sputnik
01-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Hey sputnik,

would you like a challenge?

I will give you certain upgrades that I purchased through the builder, and you do your best to get the best prices possible for those items.

...and then after I will show you how much I paid for them.

Sure.

Tell me what you upgraded to and what the base model home comes with a no additional charge.

So if you upgraded from 1" granite to 1" quartz. You really shouldn't have paid more than a 10-15% premium on the difference in material.

I have quartz in my kitchen and I remember that was the difference when pricing out quartz compared to good quality granite.

C_Dave45
01-21-2011, 01:27 PM

Apples and oranges here.

Hardwood will definitely get you more money than carpet.

However spending an additional $10,000 on some exotic hardwood instead of going with the base maple or oak hardwoods will not get you $10,000 more when you sell your house.

Yes you are correct. You're missing my point.
Obviously putting in $120/sq ft gold leaf tile won't get you any more than $6.00 Italian porcelain. But the upgrade of carpet/vinyl to tile or granit c/tops from laminate, etc WILL fetch more at resale. It is possible to spend TOO much on an upgrade. But that is rarely the case on new homes.

Bottom line: do you like the location and the upgrades? Buy the showhome. Don't like them? Build custom.

sputnik
01-21-2011, 01:32 PM

Yes you are correct. You're missing my point.
Obviously putting in $120/sq ft gold leaf tile won't get you any more than $6.00 Italian porcelain. But the upgrade of carpet/vinyl to tile or granit c/tops from laminate, etc WILL fetch more at resale. It is possible to spend TOO much on an upgrade. But that is rarely the case on new homes.

Bottom line: do you like the location and the upgrades? Buy the showhome. Don't like them? Build custom.

This entire thread started with someone asking if they should buy a $770,000 house where $90,000 of the cost is in builder upgrades.

My opinion (if you read the entire thread) is that some upgrades are worth it and some aren't. If the $90,000 is all flash and trendy aesthetics/brands instead of upgrades that have lasting value, then it is probably not worth it.

We are on the same page here.

Go back and read my other posts.

dr_jared88
01-21-2011, 01:48 PM
This thread just makes me shake my head. How can you compare mods on a car to upgrades in a house? And seriously someone doesn't think houses appreciate? I could sell my house now and the difference between what I bought it for and what it would sell for is more then any similar piece of land would sell for. Obviously the house increases along with the land.

Also upgrades clearly affect your resale value. Now with anything in life it depends on what you upgrade on how much you gain or lose. Upgrading from lino to tile, or carpet to hardwood is going to up the value of your house. Now if you import some rare exotic flooring that costs way more then your average costing floor you aren't ever going to get all your money back. But upgrading to a mixture of nice quality and value will certainly pay dividends.

Adding things that are desired by a small market share or things that out date quickly will almost always end up not making your money back. Upgrades like certain types of home automation, heated toilets and things like that would fall under this category.

C_Dave45
01-21-2011, 01:49 PM
*sigh*. (so much is lost in translation)

Sputnik....I wasn't singling you out. I did read the entire thread, every post. And what you said is correct. However the upgrades these builders do to their showhomes is not "over the top". All those extras (walkout lot, nicer materials etc) is not more than you can recover in resale. The materials aren't super high end...they're mid range.

I did the showhomes in copperfield. I know exactly how much the builder paid I know how much the materials cost, I know how much we charged for the upgrades. I know what the lots were worth. I see the numbers and know the tricks the builders use to hide costs.
The example in the OP of a $90k difference doesn't take into consideration the difference in lot cost, plan difference etc.

Buying a showhome is a good investment. You get more for your buck than building new and putting the same upgrades in.

sputnik
01-21-2011, 01:58 PM
I did the showhomes in copperfield. I know exactly how much the builder paid I know how much the materials cost, I know how much we charged for the upgrades. I know what the lots were worth. I see the numbers and know the tricks the builders use to hide costs.

The houses I am referring to were some Copperleaf houses from around 2007-2008. Jayman had this CRAZY house where every wall was on an angle. There wasn't a 90 degree corner anywhere in the house. Really odd. I would hate the be a tile setter for that house.

The other one was pretty loaded. Had an incredible basement development with 2 huge bedrooms. Had a butlers pantry and tons of other upgrades. The issue there is the house was $850k+ in a neighbourhood where the average house price was around $500k.

The example in the OP of a $90k difference doesn't take into consideration the difference in lot cost, plan difference etc.

Buying a showhome is a good investment. You get more for your buck than building new and putting the same upgrades in.

The odd thing is that back then companies like Jayman actually itemized the upgrades in the build sheet for their showhomes so you could see what they charged for all of the upgrades. Some were worth the money (BBQ line, upgraded cabinets, extra bonus room etc) and some weren't (A/C for $7000, granite over laminate for $15,000 or darker paint for $2000).

89coupe
01-21-2011, 02:25 PM
Good god, the ignorance on both sides of the issue in this thread is amazing. The OP obviously has his own opinions on the matter and no amount of explanation will change it (regardless of whether it's right or wrong)

Here's a few facts.

2) when paying for upgrades on a new build you pay WAY more than if you were to do them later on your own. (coupe you still have no idea of the construction process).

3) when buying a Showhome you will get those upgrades at a much lower price than if you were to build the very same house with the very same upgrades.

Why ask us our opinions OP, when you already have your mind made up?

Stop thinking from a trades perspective and start thinking like the average joe blow.

Average joe blow can't walk into a store and get contractor prices unless he has some good contacts. But even at contractor prices you will still pay more then what a builder pays.

It's simple volume.

The original poster asked if it was a better deal to buy a home with upgrades vs upgrading a base home.

I'm saying its cheaper to buy it with the upgrades.

I'm also saying its cheaper to upgrade through a builder vs joe blow going out, buying the product himself and and contracting out the work.

If you are a DIY guy you will probalby save a little, but nothing worth the headache of doing it yourself, and you are only saving in the labour part, not the product.

dawerks
01-21-2011, 02:43 PM
The showhomes' price is 'set in stone'. You know what it is.

The custom, you don't know till it's 100% done. Trust me on this one. All said and done, it's pretty uncertain.

Just for that one fact alone, I would go showhome. You can see what you're getting, if you like it, I HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt you could replicate it.

Even with a 90K difference. You won't get the same home.

As for resale, ask a realtor. Ask him/her if it's worth putting out 90K more at the start.

Also, if you're making a 800Kish decision based on a forum, you = dumb as a bricks made from shit.

FraserB
01-21-2011, 03:16 PM
We need to do a Beyond Survivor. We stick Coupe, Sputnik, Lint and Dave in a show home and have them debate the cost of various things, toss in a few shoddy framing jobs for excitement. Last one in the house wins.

C_Dave45
01-21-2011, 03:25 PM
Holy fuck Coupe. I'm not talking about doing it yourself. Jus one example: Tile upgrade for one particular builder is $15 per foot. That same tile if you got a tile contractor to install it; around $11 per foot. (yes labour and material)

Upgrades are pure gravy to a builder. To the home owner it's convenient because he can put it into the mortgage instead of a cash outlay. Now, run along....

/discussion.

89coupe
01-21-2011, 03:40 PM

Sure.

Tell me what you upgraded to and what the base model home comes with a no additional charge.

So if you upgraded from 1" granite to 1" quartz. You really shouldn't have paid more than a 10-15% premium on the difference in material.

I have quartz in my kitchen and I remember that was the difference when pricing out quartz compared to good quality granite.

3cm Granite was standard, upgraded to 3cm Quartz.

Island is 7.53' x 3.44' and the countertop space is 9.14' standard depth.

So tell me how much it would cost for me to upgrade to Quartz if I bought the home with just granite, hired a contractor to come in after, rip it out and put quartz in?

866sq/ft of developed basement with 9's ceilings. How much to hire a contractor to come in and develop it to finish, high end carpet, 24lb underlay, knockdown ceilings, full bath with full tile & raised cabinets, granite, highest end delta faucets. A bedroom, wet bar & office.. Oh and sound proof insulation, drywall strapping and sound proof door, 8 pot lights, frosted mirror, with kuzco lighting in the bathroom, bedroom & office.

Mibz
01-21-2011, 03:40 PM
I have a hard time wrapping my head around owning a new home I didn't personally see the construction of, let alone one that nobody with a vested interest in long-term quality supervised.

lint
01-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
We need to do a Beyond Survivor. We stick Coupe, Sputnik, Lint and Dave in a show home and have them debate the cost of various things, toss in a few shoddy framing jobs for excitement. Last one in the house wins.

I bowed out of the discussion once 89Coupe referred to himself as an "average joe". That's when I knew I was in bizarro land

project240
01-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Holy fuck Coupe. I'm not talking about doing it yourself. Jus one example: Tile upgrade for one particular builder is $15 per foot. That same tile if you got a tile contractor to install it; around $11 per foot. (yes labour and material)

Upgrades are pure gravy to a builder. To the home owner it's convenient because he can put it into the mortgage instead of a cash outlay. Now, run along....

/discussion.

QFT> This is so true. 89Coupe you're an idiot if you actually think you're getting a deal going through the builder.

Really though, as long as you think you got your money's worth, that's all that matters... just don't try to convince others of this when you clearly don't know what you are talking about.

89coupe
01-21-2011, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by project240

QFT> This is so true. 89Coupe you're an idiot if you actually think you're getting a deal going through the builder.

Really though, as long as you think you got your money's worth, that's all that matters... just don't try to convince others of this when you clearly don't know what you are talking about.

You guys are fucking clueless. The argument is whether you can upgrade through a builder for less then upgrading afterwards on your own.

Which is more cost effective. Bottom fucken line.

benyl
01-21-2011, 04:16 PM

I am going to have to disagree with you.

Remember that infloor heating I asked you about?

If I get my own contractor to come in and do it, they will charge me $7.50 / sqft.

Shane is charging me $13. They mark it up and won't let me bring in my own contractor.

In the garage, the outisde contractor charges $2.50 / sqft for the pex pipe. Shane is charging $5.

A pot lamp from an electrician with fished wire after the fact (after closing) can be done for about $100. In the basement, before the drywall, it can be done for $50. Builder charge $120-$150 for the same fucking pot light.

I looked into LED Pot lights. Builder wants $350 / pot. I can get just the pot light online for $90. $250 for installation??? fuck that, I will do it after.

Anything beyond standard is always rapage. I want to put a sink in the garage. $470 for one of those white plastic sinks, installed. The sink is $100.

The builder makes money on everything and the customer gets raped.

My basement, for 850 sqft, is $35K. I did my current basement, doing the GC myself for less than $20K. The only reason I am doing it with the builder is so that it is done when I move in and won't have to deal with the dust.

I can give you many more examples.

My house is going to be 1 color out of the standard palate. I am not going to pay $100 to "change" colors to make highlight walls. For the same price, I can get a lot of paint and either do it myself or have someone do it.

The Cosmo SLR fireplace? $5000! Cost of the fireplace at Mr. Fireplace $3K. What am I paying another $2K for? profit for the builder.

For anything standard, the builders are cheap. Anything upgraded, you will pay an arm an a leg.

89coupe
01-21-2011, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by benyl

If I get my own contractor to come in and do it, they will charge me $7.50 / sqft.

Shane is charging me $13. They mark it up and won't let me bring in my own contractor.

In the garage, the outisde contractor charges $2.50 / sqft for the pex pipe. Shane is charging $5.

A pot lamp from an electrician with fished wire after the fact (after closing) can be done for about $100. In the basement, before the drywall, it can be done for $50. Builder charge $120-$150 for the same fucking pot light.

I looked into LED Pot lights. Builder wants $350 / pot. I can get just the pot light online for $90. $250 for installation??? fuck that, I will do it after.

Anything beyond standard is always rapage. I want to put a sink in the garage. $470 for one of those white plastic sinks, installed. The sink is $100.

My basement, for 850 sqft, is $35K. I did my current basement, doing the GC myself for less than $20K. The only reason I am doing it with the builder is so that it is done when I move in and won't have to deal with the dust.

My house is going to be 1 color out of the standard palate. I am not going to pay $100 to "change" colors to make highlight walls. For the same price, I can get a lot of paint and either do it myself or have someone do it.

The Cosmo SLR fireplace? $5000! Cost of the fireplace at Mr. Fireplace $3K. What am I paying another $2K for? profit for the builder.

For anything standard, the builders are cheap. Anything upgraded, you will pay an arm an a leg.

Yes thats fine and dandy, but thats not the arguement. The arguement was whether a person should buy the basic package from a builder and upgrade after.

sxtasy
01-21-2011, 04:20 PM
You can't make a general statement on all upgrades. Some upgrades will have a huge mark up by the home builder, some will not. From what I have seen though, show homes seem to be of better quality than a home that is already sold and being built.

chkolny541
01-21-2011, 04:20 PM

lul, 11$/tile labor+material. You clearly have no idea how much it costs, or are just using like drywall squares as tile. We got quoted 40$+/tile for labor+material

benyl
01-21-2011, 04:23 PM
Unless you are handy, then no.

DIY afterward makes sense to stick to standard. If you can lay tile, then get lino and rip it out and lay your tile. You can get some really cool shit that the builder won't give you access to for a competitive price.

If you are going to bring someone in, then it isn't worth the hassle and interruption to your life.

I wouldn't buy a showhome. A fuck load of people have walked through it.

Also, you can't get what you want. They also usually put the showhomes on the cheapest lots. I would pick the lot you want and build the house you want the way you want it.

That way you can be $200K over budget like me! haha

benyl
01-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by chkolny541

lul, 11$/tile labor+material. You clearly have no idea how much it costs, or are just using like drywall squares as tile. We got quoted 40$+/tile for labor+material

Dave installs tile for a living... you clearly fail.

lint
01-21-2011, 04:26 PM
You guys are fucking clueless. The argument is whether you can upgrade through a builder for less then upgrading afterwards on your own.

Which is more cost effective. Bottom fucken line.

Yes thats fine and dandy, but thats not the arguement. The arguement was whether a person should buy the basic package from a builder and upgrade after.

The argument is how long can 89coupe change the argument and argue with himself?

chkolny541
01-21-2011, 04:30 PM

Dave installs tile for a living... you clearly fail.

holy shit, nvm i guess haha, fuck we shoulda got dave!!!

C_Dave45
01-21-2011, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by chkolny541

Rofl...yup. No clue. 28 years as a journeyman tile contractor. But you obviously know MUCH more about it than I do.
:facepalm:

Wow. :rofl:

Little reading for ya: http://employment.alberta.ca/documents/RRM/RRM-CG_08nov.pdf

89coupe
01-21-2011, 04:32 PM

I will email you about most of this but the fireplace cost I think is misleading. You get a credit for your standard fireplace correct? I'm assuming an estate home comes with a pretty fancy fireplace to begin with, I know with Albi I got a $2K credit for ours. Plus I'm assuming you would also get a pretty big credit for the stone work and mantle that you would no longer be getting correct? I know I did. Now with the cosmo fireplace you have to frame a much larger space, this effects the outside of the home as well, creating more work for the framers, stucco guys etc. So I'm guessing your builder factored in the cost of added material and labour to make those changes.

sxtasy
01-21-2011, 04:36 PM
lol coupe, please tell us how a bigger fireplace affects exterior walls and stucco? You are pretty ignorant if you don't think that builders make huge profits.

chkolny541
01-21-2011, 04:37 PM

Rofl...yup. No clue. 28 years as a journeyman tile contractor. But you obviously know MUCH more about it than I do.
:facepalm:

Wow. :rofl:

Little reading for ya: http://employment.alberta.ca/documents/RRM/RRM-CG_08nov.pdf

lol ive already retracted previous statement.

OP is outta sight, but the thread keeps chugging along!!

89coupe
01-21-2011, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by sxtasy
lol coupe, please tell us how a bigger fireplace affects exterior walls and stucco? You are pretty ignorant if you don't think that builders make huge profits.

How fucking deep do you think a fireplace is vs your fucking wall idiot? Use your brain.

Of course they make profit, thats the not the arguement. The original poster wanted to buy a showhome that had all the upgrades.

Then a bunch of yahoos tried saying that its not worth it and that you will lose money.

Then people started saying you should buy a basic package and upgrade after.

Thats when I said you are better off upgrading through the builder then upgrading after becaue you can benefit from builders prices.

Whats so fucking hard about understanding this??? LOL

sxtasy
01-21-2011, 04:55 PM

How fucking deep do you think a fireplace is vs your fucking wall idiot? Use your brain.

Of course they make profit, thats the not the arguement. The original poster wanted to buy a showhome that had all the upgrades.

Then a bunch of yahoos tried saying that its not worth it and that you will lose money.

Then people started saying you should buy a basic package and upgrade after.

Thats when I said you are better off upgrading through the builder then upgrading after becaue you can benefit from builders prices.

Whats so fucking hard about understanding this??? LOL

Your typical fireplace sits inside your room and a box is framed around it. My company builds fireplaces in new custom homes :facepalm: Sounds like you got sold a bunch of shitty upgrades in your new house and are trying to justify it. To make a blanket statement like all upgrades by the builder are cheaper makes you sound like the idiot.

supe
01-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Oh this thread is a good read on a friday afternoon, nothing but owning, or attempted owning.

Let me just throw some questions out there since I plan on buying one day...

To 89's argument, I'm sure 89 got the discount on the quartz only because the granite (not cheap) would have gone to waste? Is this right? We're factoring in only the upgrading cost vs the retail cost.

Is it a fact that show homes are on cheaper lots? Some appear (to me) to be the best lots no?

benyl
01-21-2011, 04:56 PM

It does affect it. A wide, long fireplace needs a bigger box.

A typical fireplace is 32-36 inches.

The Cosmo is 40-42 inches. The box needs to be 6 inches wider.

89coupe
01-21-2011, 05:04 PM

Your typical fireplace sits inside your room and a box is framed around it. My company builds fireplaces in new custom homes :facepalm: Sounds like you got sold a bunch of shitty upgrades in your new house and are trying to justify it. To make a blanket statement like all upgrades by the builder are cheaper makes you sound like the idiot.

I don't know what company you work for, but who the fuck would want to waste space with a fireplace framed on the inside of the house???

sxtasy
01-21-2011, 05:04 PM

It does affect it. A wide, long fireplace needs a bigger box.

A typical fireplace is 32-36 inches.

The Cosmo is 40-42 inches. The box needs to be 6 inches wider. A box and exterior walls are completely different, unless the box is outside of your house which is not common practice.

cet
01-21-2011, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by supe

Is it a fact that show homes are on cheaper lots? Some appear (to me) to be the best lots no?

I think that all depends on who the builder is and what lots they have to choose from.

In the community I've built in none of the show homes are or were on the best lots. Most of them are on regular lots on a min road that back on to other houses. I guess it depends on your definition of best lot as well.

89coupe
01-21-2011, 05:10 PM
A box and exterior walls are completely different, unless the box is outside of your house which is not common practice.

How deep is a fireplace?

How deep is an exterior wall?

Here is the fireplace he's getting. Magic?

http://img.archiexpo.com/images_ae/photo-g/contemporary-built-in-fireplaces-br-gas-closed-hearths-332949.jpg

sxtasy
01-21-2011, 05:15 PM

How deep is a fireplace?

How deep is an exterior wall?

Here is the fireplace he's getting. Magic?

http://img.archiexpo.com/images_ae/photo-g/contemporary-built-in-fireplaces-br-gas-closed-hearths-332949.jpg

look at the picture, looks to me like the fireplace is framed in a box protruding into the room

lint
01-21-2011, 05:19 PM
look at the picture, looks to me like the fireplace is framed in a box protruding into the room

Funny, the specification tab for that fireplace shows the same thing!

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/1411/coupedouche.png

89coupe
01-21-2011, 05:20 PM

LOL, well its not. Its flush. Here is the fireplace I'm doing in my place. Does it look like its protruding as well??? LOL

http://img.archiexpo.com/images_ae/photo-g/contemporary-built-in-fireplaces-br-gas-closed-hearths-332705.jpg

oh, and here is the house, see that bump on the outside of the wall, thats the fireplace frame.

http://albihomes.com/images/renderings/asp-torino-3-t.jpg

cet
01-21-2011, 05:26 PM
^ my fireplace is done the same way. An alcove cantilevered on the outside of the house and the inside is flush.

89coupe
01-21-2011, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by cet
^ my fireplace is done the same way. An alcove cantilevered on the outside of the house and the inside is flush.

Most new homes are done like this, its to save on interior sq/ft. Why on earth would you waste space on the inside of a home for a fireplace? Makes no sense.

cet
01-21-2011, 05:39 PM

Most new homes are done like this, its to save on interior sq/ft. Why on earth would you waste space on the inside of a home for a fireplace? Makes no sense.

The house I built before the one I'm in now ( which I think is really close to the one you're building) had the fireplace inside. I built a really elaborate mantle for it so it became the focal point of the room. The fireplaces you and benyl are talking about are awesome by thmselves and look good against a flat wall.

benyl
01-21-2011, 05:46 PM
A box and exterior walls are completely different, unless the box is outside of your house which is not common practice.

The fireplace comes cantilevered outside the house.

This is the standard box. It has to be widened to accommodate the fireplace I want.

sxtasy
01-21-2011, 06:13 PM
well there are many fireplaces that are inside the house, and many that are not even on exterior walls. Even if you have to widen the box you are not adding any additional framing or stucco sq.footage.

Chandler_Racing
01-21-2011, 08:25 PM
Only 89 Coupe will tell a tileman how to lay tile, a professional photographer how to take a picture, and a CA how to value a company or prepare financial statements. :nut:

Guy is the jack of all trades, master of none.

sxtasy
01-21-2011, 08:37 PM

Most new homes are done like this, its to save on interior sq/ft. Why on earth would you waste space on the inside of a home for a fireplace? Makes no sense. correction, some new homes are done like this. My fireplace is in the middle of the room, same with my dads and same with a lot of our clients houses. Two reasons, the fireplaces that we build are the centerpiece of the room. Secondly we have 180 degree ocean views, sacrifice a little floor space for more windows

masoncgy
01-21-2011, 11:55 PM
Man, there is so much utter hilarity in this thread...

Showhomes are a good buy if the particular 'dress up' package suits your tastes as you get all of the upgrades at regular, non-builder pricing. You cannot upgrade a base model to showhome finishings for the same cost at all, unless you do much of the work yourself of bring someone else in to do it.

Build quality in a showhome is no different than any other house in the same area. It's the finishing workmanship that is often better, simply because it's what people see, so it has to be perfect or close to it. The #1 complaint from those who bought our showhomes... the stairs & floors are squeaking... simply due to all the traffic moving through the house.

Do you know many homes in Silverado I turned over to homeowners that had no backsplash & no flooring? Lots of 'em. There's a reason for that... practical people weren't interested in forking over major mark up to the builder for tile/hardwood they could do themselves, or have someone do for a fraction of the cost.

Sputnik makes a valid point on upgrades. Some will fetch you resale dollars and others will not. 9' ceilings, vaulted ceilings, larger garages, etc are of value to almost every prospective buyer. Funky lighting packages, crazy paint colors, wild granite colors, etc do not offer much value to most buyers as the package doesn't suit their tastes. That's why it's critical to ensure that upgrades are done with resale in mind if a person isn't planning on staying the home for the long term.

Builder's LOVE upgrades. It's their bread & butter. I remember watching so many people lay down serious cash at our design centre to have the latest & greatest in paints, tile, hardwood & finishings, simply filling our coffers with cash and supplying my raises & bonuses. Mind boggling really, since it was all financed. Many of these people are upside down big time too. Oh well, at least they got their natural select walnut flooring to keep them comfy... haha...

The one thing I never understood... why people didn't upgrade their appliance packages. A bloody 21 cube Frigidaire top freezer in stainless isn't an upgrade... neither is a stainless coil top or stainless plastic tub dishwasher. $500K house and it has a $25K floor and the shittest appliances ever.

Back to the OP... showhomes deserve scrutiny as much as a resale home does. That said, if it's everything you dreamed of, go for it.

:thumbsup:

dawerks
01-23-2011, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Chandler_Racing
Only 89 Coupe will tell a tileman how to lay tile, a professional photographer how to take a picture, and a CA how to value a company or prepare financial statements. :nut:

Guy is the jack of all trades, master of none.

:rofl:

That's the problem when little people make some money. They think they are somehow smart.

He's the same little shit that used to drive an 89coupe.

GTS4tw
01-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by dawerks

:rofl:

That's the problem when little people make some money. They think they are somehow smart.

He's the same little shit that used to drive an 89coupe.

Personal insults show intelligence and maturity.

C_Dave45
01-24-2011, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy
Man, there is so much utter hilarity in this thread...

Showhomes are a good buy if the particular 'dress up' package suits your tastes as you get all of the upgrades at regular, non-builder pricing. You cannot upgrade a base model to showhome finishings for the same cost at all, unless you do much of the work yourself of bring someone else in to do it.

Build quality in a showhome is no different than any other house in the same area. It's the finishing workmanship that is often better, simply because it's what people see, so it has to be perfect or close to it. The #1 complaint from those who bought our showhomes... the stairs & floors are squeaking... simply due to all the traffic moving through the house.

Do you know many homes in Silverado I turned over to homeowners that had no backsplash & no flooring? Lots of 'em. There's a reason for that... practical people weren't interested in forking over major mark up to the builder for tile/hardwood they could do themselves, or have someone do for a fraction of the cost.

Sputnik makes a valid point on upgrades. Some will fetch you resale dollars and others will not. 9' ceilings, vaulted ceilings, larger garages, etc are of value to almost every prospective buyer. Funky lighting packages, crazy paint colors, wild granite colors, etc do not offer much value to most buyers as the package doesn't suit their tastes. That's why it's critical to ensure that upgrades are done with resale in mind if a person isn't planning on staying the home for the long term.

Builder's LOVE upgrades. It's their bread & butter. I remember watching so many people lay down serious cash at our design centre to have the latest & greatest in paints, tile, hardwood & finishings, simply filling our coffers with cash and supplying my raises & bonuses. Mind boggling really, since it was all financed. Many of these people are upside down big time too. Oh well, at least they got their natural select walnut flooring to keep them comfy... haha...

The one thing I never understood... why people didn't upgrade their appliance packages. A bloody 21 cube Frigidaire top freezer in stainless isn't an upgrade... neither is a stainless coil top or stainless plastic tub dishwasher. $500K house and it has a $25K floor and the shittest appliances ever.

Back to the OP... showhomes deserve scrutiny as much as a resale home does. That said, if it's everything you dreamed of, go for it.

:thumbsup:

^ 100% Bang on. Obviously a man who knows the business. /thread.

89coupe
01-24-2011, 02:25 PM
I'm still waiting for Sputnik to share his prices?

Haven't seen anyone show me that they can get better prices dollar per dollar for product vs a home builder.

It's also funny that nobody factors in their own time into the equation, apparently everyone that does it themselves gives zero value to their own time.

...in the end, when you are buying through a builder they don't allow sweat labor, at least most don't these days.

sputnik
01-24-2011, 02:59 PM

3cm Granite was standard, upgraded to 3cm Quartz.

Island is 7.53' x 3.44' and the countertop space is 9.14' standard depth.

So tell me how much it would cost for me to upgrade to Quartz if I bought the home with just granite, hired a contractor to come in after, rip it out and put quartz in?

866sq/ft of developed basement with 9's ceilings. How much to hire a contractor to come in and develop it to finish, high end carpet, 24lb underlay, knockdown ceilings, full bath with full tile & raised cabinets, granite, highest end delta faucets. A bedroom, wet bar & office.. Oh and sound proof insulation, drywall strapping and sound proof door, 8 pot lights, frosted mirror, with kuzco lighting in the bathroom, bedroom & office.

I'm still waiting for Sputnik to share his prices?

I told you that quartz should only be about 10-15% more than granite depending on the grade of granite that comes with the house. Without the exact square footage of your counter tops, how am I supposed to come up with a figure?

As for the basement development, can you be anymore vague? How do you expect ANYONE to come up with a price with that description? Go to a general contractor with that exact same description and see what they do when you demand a price on the spot. However, if I had to guess, I would suspect that you are paying around $75,000 from the builder for the basement. Which is probably a good 30-40% more than you would pay if you acted as the GC yourself and worth only $40-50k in resale value.

Also LOL @ "highest end Delta faucets". I guess that means they have to go to Home Depot to get them instead of Wal-Mart.

sputnik
01-24-2011, 03:04 PM
...in the end, when you are buying through a builder they don't allow sweat labor, at least most don't these days.

Of course many don't. They know they have buyers by the balls who need the "new house smell" experience and know that the majority of their markup is in upgrades.

However many in this thread have already talked about houses being sold without flooring, back splashes and other amenities.

So it can be done if you actually want to save some serious money.

And really, how much effort does it take to arrange a flooring or tile contractor? You could have 2000 sq ft of hardwood flooring installed while you are at work by a good contractor.

89coupe
01-24-2011, 03:34 PM

I told you that quartz should only be about 10-15% more than granite depending on the grade of granite that comes with the house. Without the exact square footage of your counter tops, how am I supposed to come up with a figure?

As for the basement development, can you be anymore vague? How do you expect ANYONE to come up with a price with that description? Go to a general contractor with that exact same description and see what they do when you demand a price on the spot. However, if I had to guess, I would suspect that you are paying around $75,000 from the builder for the basement. Which is probably a good 30-40% more than you would pay if you acted as the GC yourself and worth only $40-50k in resale value.

Also LOL @ "highest end Delta faucets". I guess that means they have to go to Home Depot to get them instead of Wal-Mart.

I gave you the dimensions of the counter top, just give me your price based on those dimensions.

The basement was under $35K

benyl
01-24-2011, 03:49 PM

I gave you the dimensions of the counter top, just give me your price based on those dimensions.

The basement was under $35K

Including lifting your foundation to 9ft?

I am being charged $35K for 885 sqft as a package. That doesn't include the ceiling height change.

I'll be close to $50K for my basement including 1200 sqft of development, $7K for the steam shower, a second bathroom, etc...

89coupe
01-24-2011, 03:53 PM

Including lifting your foundation to 9ft?

I am being charged $35K for 885 sqft as a package. That doesn't include the ceiling height change.

I'll be close to $50K for my basement including 1200 sqft of development, $7K for the steam shower, a second bathroom, etc...

Yep.