PDA

View Full Version : Punching bags

TimG
01-21-2011, 10:12 AM
I want to get a punching bag at home.

i do not want a free-standing bag like a wavemaster and can't mount a wall hook, which means I'm looking at a bag stand or ceiling hook.

most of the stands that i've seen are Century models or variants thereof. I don't like the way the legs come out to almost surround the bag. This makes moving around the bag difficult. The only good thing about this is that the cost is lower.

I saw one bag stand at fitness equipment calgary from TKO which had V shaped legs, but after a big of research i found out that the price is quite high... around 2x the cost of the century model.

as for the ceiling mount, i have no experience with this type. Do you screw it into the bottom of the beam, or do you drill thru the side of the beam and put pins in to hold the bracket, or does it loop over the top of the beam and hang from there? How are they with noise and vibration on the floor above it?

Also, any recommendations of brand and type of bag?

As for stores, i've checked the web sites for gomango, fitness equipment calgary, and fitness depot. not that much for selection.

Khyron
01-21-2011, 03:52 PM
I have a heavy bag mounted in my basement and it does vibrate the house. Enough that I wouldn't lean decorative plates against the wall, but not enough that pictures are knocked down. My dryer on the 2nd floor shakes the house worse.

I bolted it to a 4x8 then bolted that 4x8 to several floor joists, so not just 1. You could put some rubber or other shock absorber between the two.

I actually keep meaning to sell it, I will take some photos and post a FS thread tonight.

Khyron
01-22-2011, 11:49 AM
Ok mine is up in the FS forums: http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=325557