PDA

View Full Version : Ferret Eats 7 Fingers of Baby Boy

Xtrema
01-21-2011, 04:46 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/01/11/missouri.ferret.fingers/?iref=obinsite

Pahnda
01-21-2011, 04:55 PM
:barf:

I never even really understood ferrets as pets. I've never seen them be all that 'cuddly'... The ones I've seen were just annoying and smelly long rats with no redeeming value.

anschutz_92
01-21-2011, 04:57 PM
Thats sick and disturbing. I have some of the nicest most gentle dogs in the world and still I would not trust them alone with a 5 year old, let alone an infant. The parents are retarded, it's unfortunate the child must pay his entire life for their poor judgement.

Graham_A_M
01-21-2011, 05:03 PM
"Director of the Kansas/Missouri Ferret Hotline"

:rofl: :rofl: obvious bad news aside; thanks OP, I now know what I want to do with my life. :thumbsup:

LollerBrader
01-21-2011, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
"Director of the Kansas/Missouri Ferret Hotline"

:rofl: :rofl: obvious bad news aside; thanks OP, I now know what I want to do with my life. :thumbsup:

I knew this really intense guy when I went to UofC. I was extra nice to him so that he'd let me live when he finally went all columbine.

Ran into him years after campus... he handed me a business card advertising his services in "Pit bull advocacy".

Nice.

D'z Nutz
01-21-2011, 11:53 PM
Reading that article just infuriates me. Fucking negligent parents.

dirtsniffer
01-22-2011, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by LollerBrader

I knew this really intense guy when I went to UofC. I was extra nice to him so that he'd let me live when he finally went all columbine.

Ran into him years after campus... he handed me a business card advertising his services in Pit bull advocacy.

Nice.

ummmm whats wrong with pitbull advocacy?:dunno:

ZenOps
01-22-2011, 09:47 AM
Is it true that ferrets have two really big front teeth, or is it another animal I'm thinking of.

Wait, what was the point of the article again?

speedog
01-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Pahnda
I never even really understood ferrets as pets. I've never seen them be all that 'cuddly'... The ones I've seen were just annoying and smelly long rats with no redeeming value. We had a ferret for seven years and she was a wonderful pet that loved being carried, handled and snuggled by our kids. Yeah, there's a bit of musky smell that comes with the package, but our ferret's antics and personality more than offset that minor bit of muskie odor. Certainly, we've had many more dogs that have come into our shop that smell way worse than our ferret ever did.

Now what I find distressing about this case is the fact that this ferret, which sounds to have been quite new to this household, was allowed to run free in this home. Our ferret had it's own two level enclosure that it knew as it's home and it was never allowed to roam free in our house - she was allowed supervised open access in our living room only and she had to be heavily supervised because if only the old guy was in the room by himself and fell asleep, then she was into the couch or love seat in seconds.

Many animals can make great pets if you make the effort to get them used to human contact right from birth - we've had hamsters, a guinea pig, a ferret, cats, a chameleon and a variety of birds over the decades and they've all been great pets who got along great with humans. However, some of our pets also had their defined living quarters (enclosures/cages) for their own safety and security and one thing is for sure - our kid's bedroom doors were always closed at night when they were babies because even a domesticated cat could be a problem at night just through the act of a cat looking for a warm and secure place to curl up in. Shame on these people for not being the responsible pet owners and responsible parents they should've been which has now resulted in that child will have to living with the consequences for the rest of his life.

speedog
01-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Actually what strikes me as even odder is that the parents wouldn't have woken up earlier to their babies cries - it's not like the ferret could've gobbled down the first six fingers in such a short time that the baby's cries couldn't have been heard until the seventh finger was being consumed. Something is definitely amiss here.

Sugarphreak
01-22-2011, 12:16 PM

Graham_A_M
01-22-2011, 12:17 PM
^I assumed one or both of the parents were on drugs or passed out drunk.
Yeah its not possible for anybody to sleep through a babies whaling cries for as long as that would have taken.

D. Dub
01-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Perhaps weasels just make bad pets when there are children in the house?

ReflexFX
01-22-2011, 12:34 PM
The dad killed the pet by hurling it across the house, Ambrose said.

I laughed when I read this.

speedog
01-22-2011, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by D. Dub
Perhaps weasels just make bad pets when there are children in the house? Don't think the ferret was the underlying problem here - it was an young ferret with probably little to no socialization with this family that was recently brought into a household that had had previous animal care concerns. We had a ferret for seven years and brought our ferret into the home when she was very young and also had younger children at the time and never once did our ferret bite any of our kids - we socialized our ferret and also set out and controlled the boundaries our ferret had in our home.

ZenOps
01-22-2011, 01:47 PM
Ferrets are nowhere near as vicious as rats though.

You could probably hit hundreds of google hits for rat chews on baby.

They will chew on grown adults too.

Now if a rabbit took off someones head, that would be something.

Benny
01-22-2011, 03:27 PM
About a year ago when i was doing a short stint in the ER at the hospital, I remember a patient very similar to this. This young family had 2 children who were about 4 months old. The family had just got home from a night out and put the babies upstairs in their bedroom, still in their carriers. They had pet ferrets who were allowed to roam all over the house. I guess they hadn't closed the door to the bedroom fully but one of the ferrets got in. This fucking ferret just went to town on the one child's face. The kid couldn't do anything about it because he was still in his baby carrier. Thankfully the ferret missed all the important parts of the face and just ripped it up a bit. I'm sure the kid made a full recovery.

Must not be all that uncommon though.

I don't really care for ferrets. They remind me of weasels.

Graham_A_M
01-22-2011, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by ZenOps
Ferrets are nowhere near as vicious as rats though.

You could probably hit hundreds of google hits for rat chews on baby.

They will chew on grown adults too.

Now if a rabbit took off someones head, that would be something.

How many people seriously have rats for pets? Leave alone if there are young kids involved.
:confused:
Seems every bit as clever as that older lady in the UK that had that 200pound chimp as a pet, the one that tore off her friends face & hands.

speedog
01-22-2011, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
How many people seriously have rats for pets?Some people do even though it is illegal to have a live rat in your possession in Alberta (except possibly for universities and such in studies/experiments).

Squishy
01-22-2011, 08:51 PM
Parents are obviously dumb if there's been other animal-issue cases/complaints.

Reading that article was frustrating though, considering how many times the author put "Ambrose said "

derpderp
01-23-2011, 05:05 AM
I don't understand why people keep rodents as pets...

darthVWader
01-23-2011, 08:08 AM
Is this what happened to the Claw???

D. Dub
01-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by derpderp
I don't understand why people keep rodents as pets...

This.

Rodents aren't pets, they're what pets chase, kill & eat.