PDA

View Full Version : 24 Hour License Suspension ?

adaradar
01-21-2011, 07:36 PM
i have just received a 24 hour license suspension and im wandering if this will effect my insurance. I was not Ticketed with anything other than a dirty license plate.

The problem escalated from the smell of mary jane in the car. i did some reading and tryed to find the reason for the suspension. i think it was,

24-hour disqualification re alcohol or drug

s. 89 (1) If a peace officer reasonably suspects that the driver of a motor vehicle has consumed alcohol or otherwise introduced into the driver's body any alcohol, drug or other substance in such a quantity so as to affect the driver's physical or mental ability, the peace officer may require the driver to surrender the driver's operator's licence to the peace officer.

so he had a reasonable cause that part is clear.

So is my insurance affected by this? nothing was proved and the only ticket i received was the one described above.

thanks in advance for the advice.

adaradar
01-21-2011, 07:49 PM
im insured through AMA if that helps any.

spike98
01-21-2011, 08:00 PM
You will have no recourse from a 24 hour suspension other than having your license revoked for 24 hours. No record. No fine. No ill effect on your insurance. It wont even end up on an abstract.

97'Scort
01-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Quit smoking dope in the car and learn to spell? You're lucky, you got a warning.

adaradar
01-21-2011, 08:06 PM
thanks.

googe
01-22-2011, 02:08 AM
No record, because it's an unconstitutional bullshit penalty, and there is less chance that it will be challenged if they don't make it too devastating.

snoop101
01-22-2011, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
Quit smoking dope in the car and learn to spell? You're lucky, you got a warning.

+1

Wish the government was harsher on people like this.

BrknFngrs
01-22-2011, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by snoop101

+1

Wish the government was harsher on people like this.

But, but guys, weed is the best thing ever. Everyone and their kids should be doing it.

Just look at the discussion thread in ask leo about it. Apparently it doesn't impair a person at all, isn't bad for your health, great for kids to do at school and it has no withdrawal symptoms or other effects.

:facepalm:

I'm surprised the OP didn't go the typical stoner route and just explain to the cop that it shouldn't be illegal and that he just does it to relax.

Unknown303
01-22-2011, 07:59 AM
But it helps with my glaucoma. :thumbsdow

googe
01-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Really, over weed? People are still that sheltered? I almost feel bad for you guys :rofl:

Modelexis
01-22-2011, 07:29 PM
BrknFngrs - I remember how scared I was before I smoked weed for the first time and realized that it made me drive slow and pay close attention to detail.

ekguy
01-23-2011, 11:29 AM
I was a strong advocate of weed until it gave me severe bronchitis...I will still toke but i am going to be cutting back quite extremely to maybe a weekend a month.

And OP you are lucky you just got a warning.

Modelexis
01-23-2011, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by ekguy
I was a strong advocate of weed until it gave me severe bronchitis...

Weed also gave you an inability to use logic, I think we have a case here.

FYI bronchitis is a virus, weed does not have the ability to introduce a virus into your system, it can only make you slightly more susceptible to said virus.
Therefore, you can equally blame your lack of physical activity as blame MJ for acquiring a virus.

How do you know it was caused directly by smoking weed?
Or are you coming to medical conclusions without evidence and without any medical training or knowledge?
Tobacco smoke has been known to aid in the acquisition or worsen bronchitis cases, so why do you see smokers go 10 years smoking a pack a day without ever getting bronchitis?

That aside, if MJ is illegal because there is a chance it could cause bronchitis, we should ban strong chemicals and tobacco as well.

Unknown303
01-23-2011, 03:11 PM
Weed robbed my mom and punched my dog. Damn you WEED DAMN YOU!!!!

Feruk
01-23-2011, 08:19 PM
I had a buddy get pulled over and the officer thought she smelled weed. He told her that he'd been gutting a deer earlier and that some of the odour stuck in the car and that's what she smelled. She let him go.

It'd be my go-to excuse if I smoked weed. Can convince them? Confuse them.

Buffalo Soldier
01-24-2011, 10:06 AM
The smell of weed does not necessarily mean you are high. Did you admit to smoking it?

NuclearPizzaMan
01-24-2011, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Modelexis

FYI bronchitis is a virus, weed does not have the ability to introduce a virus into your system, it can only make you slightly more susceptible to said virus.
Therefore, you can equally blame your lack of physical activity as blame MJ for acquiring a virus.

Or are you coming to medical conclusions without evidence and without any medical training or knowledge?
Tobacco smoke has been known to aid in the acquisition or worsen bronchitis cases, so why do you see smokers go 10 years smoking a pack a day without ever getting bronchitis?

That aside, if MJ is illegal because there is a chance it could cause bronchitis, we should ban strong chemicals and tobacco as well.

You know, a quick check of wikipedia would have saved you a lot of typing. You may even learn something if you go right now.

adaradar
01-25-2011, 06:48 PM
RULE NUMBER 1 IS NEVER ADMIT TO ANYTHING. Hence why it was only a 24 hour suspension. the bong and bag of weed+ several busters helped the cop decide to suspend my license.

officer it was smoked in here approximately 12-15 hours ago. i got away with saying i had smoked it about 3-4 hours ago. no visible signs of being high so they left me alone. this happened only 2 days before this incident, i received 2 tickets in the last 2 weeks all because of my plate being covered. they are looking for it so beware.

on this occasion there was to much paraphernalia in the car because my buddy had it all with him. i received no charges and called my insurance company to see if it affected my insurance, the answer was no. fyi to all the people, there is no way an officer can write you a ticket for dui on dope, you would have to admit to it or be extremely unlucky and get a tester to the area before the highs up. most of the time your high will be done by the time said person arrives. and no ticket will follow because your not high at that instance. my friend panicked and said he was the one smoking it( not a smart choice). oh well live and learn. if your going to smoke a joint take the time and step out of your vehicle and do it outside. the smell alone warrants a search and possible suspension of your license.

no need to voice your opinion on smoking weed i just needed a question answered. the "non-smokers" get upset when they see things like this and its understandable. you are a hazard to other drivers on the road even if you don't think so, you are. this is the same as drunk driving, its fine for you but when you hit that car with the family in it, then it becomes others problem.

ekguy
01-26-2011, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Modelexis

i was coming to the conclusion because I smoked everyday from when I was done work to when i went to bed...My coughing got worse and worse and worse until finally....bam bronchitis. I know it's a virus. But I know that my lungs were completely tired and done from my constant smoking...I am thinking maybe now is a great time to stop. :D But either way like I said before OP is lucky to have gotten off pretty much scott free. Cops should have done more than a 24 hour suspension.

spike98
01-26-2011, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by adaradar
RULE NUMBER 1 IS NEVER ADMIT TO ANYTHING........i got away with saying i had smoked it about 3-4 hours ago.....

WUT?

On a related note, dont even call your insurance company. They would have made a note that you smoke weed and will explore that avenue next time you make a claim looking for an out.