PDA

View Full Version : Pakistani girl 'electrocuted' in honour killing

rob the knob
01-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Pakistani girl 'electrocuted' in honour killing

BY ZEESHAN HAIDER, REUTERS JANUARY 23, 2011 5:03 AM

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan - Relatives of a teenage Pakistani girl have apparently electrocuted her for falling in love with a man they did not approve of, police said on Sunday.

Elders and the family of Saima Bibi, 17, decided after a meeting of a village council, or panchayat, that her punishment for shaming the family should be death, police said.

"There are signs of torture and burns on her neck, back and hands which are most probably caused by electrocution," said the police official, Zahoor Rabbani, from Bahawalpur district in east Pakistan where the alleged killing took place. He was speaking to Reuters by telephone.

Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani took "serious notice" of the "the sad incident of the killing of a girl by electric current on the orders of the panchayat", and ordered police to immediately submit a report, his office said.

Bibi's death appeared to be what is known as an honour killing. They are common in rural areas where, under centuries-old tribal customs, getting married without permission of male relatives or having sex outside marriage is deemed a serious slight to the honour of the family or the tribe.

Hundreds of people, mostly women, are killed in Pakistan in the name of "honour" every year, with the majority of victims from poor, rural families.

Pakistan's independent Human Rights Commission said in its latest report that nearly 650 women were killed in that way in 2009.

Talha Nadeem, a doctor in a local hospital, said the cause of Bibi's death had yet to be determined.

A woman is stigmatised as a "kari", or "black woman", if she is accused of having sex outside of marriage.

Her killing would be justified under tribal customs. "Karo" is the male version.

Bibi fell in love with her neighbour, Dilawar, and eloped to Pakistan's biggest city Karachi this month, Rabbani said.

Her relatives persuaded her to return to her home on the promise that she would be allowed to marry him.

"Her father, uncles and other relatives later refused to fulfil her wish because they said the boy comes from a lower caste," he said.

"Her uncles and other influential people killed her when she refused to marry according to their will."

Police raided Bibi's village home on a tip from a villager who said her relatives were telling people that she had committed a suicide and they were burying her. Rabbani said Bibi's father, Abdul Majeed, and an uncle had been detained.

© Copyright (c) Reuters

R!zz0
01-23-2011, 10:13 AM
These people need to get out more. :(

Godfuader
01-23-2011, 10:46 AM
Thats Shocking! :eek:

sr20s14zenki
01-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Man why do we need this news from other continents. I think we should just ignore them and let them do what they want. Jesus christ, either fucking evolve with the rest of us, or kindly drop a bomb on yourself.
:thumbsdow

Cos
01-23-2011, 11:03 AM
She was promised to be okay and they killed her. Sad :(

ekguy
01-23-2011, 11:12 AM
I won't even say anything. Every time I do people get mad...But seriously this is an everyday thing for this area of the world...

ekguy
01-23-2011, 11:19 AM
Either way don't know what kind of religion it has to be that killing you're own child isn't seen as something completely disgusting and wrong. They actually think it's right...So pathetic.

people need to see the truth that religion IN ALL IT'S FORMS, not just muslims, but all of them, (except a few actual peaceful ones) are destructive to this planet and to us.

Humanity would be much further ahead in life were religion eliminated completely.

Other than a very select few, all religions are full of fanatical idiots who follow blindly something that there is absolutely 0 proof of.

Won't these people feel great when they realize their god doesn't exist and they have been killing their own kids...

calgary403
01-23-2011, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Cos
She was promised to be okay and they killed her. Sad :(

:werd:

It was her Dad and Uncle charged. It said they tortured her too.

Sick fucks.

Little Dragon
01-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by ekguy

people need to see the truth that religion IN ALL IT'S FORMS, not just muslims, but all of them, (except a few actual peaceful ones) are destructive to this planet and to us.

Humanity would be much further ahead in life were religion eliminated completely.

Other than a very select few, all religions are full of fanatical idiots who follow blindly something that there is absolutely 0 proof of.

Won't these people feel great when they realize their god doesn't exist and they have been killing their own kids...

Hey man, don't blame the entire religion when a select few are the extremists. I'm sure the majority of the religion their parents are part of, are just as shocked as we are.

RIP to the girl. Stuff like this just boils my blood
:whipped:

spikerS
01-23-2011, 02:10 PM
Either way don't know what kind of religion it has to be that killing you're own child isn't seen as something completely disgusting and wrong. They actually think it's right...So pathetic.

the ignorance is strong in this thread.

Where does it say anywhere that this has to do anything with religion besides marriage?

This is / was an honor killing. she brought shame on her family, and they rectified it.

I don't agree with this in the slightest btw, but don't bring religion in when it is not the issue.

Originally posted by Little Dragon

Hey man, don't blame the entire religion when a select few are the extremists. I'm sure the majority of the religion their parents are part of, are just as shocked as we are.

RIP to the girl. Stuff like this just boils my blood
:whipped:

D. Dub
01-23-2011, 03:09 PM
Sad

ZenOps
01-23-2011, 03:43 PM
Dad didn't like who the girl was going out with. Same old story.

In the US, you wouldn't shoot (or electrocute) the daughter though, you would shoot the guy. Small but very strong cultural difference.

"Romeo must die" Christian thinking. Give all the glory and lay all the blame on the male regardless of situation.

PS: Washington DC is the murder capital of the world, but it has subsided in the last decade. They peaked at almost 500 back in 1991.

Feruk
01-23-2011, 08:08 PM
I don't think it's really for us to judge. From our perspective, it's sick and wrong, but our perspective has no weight on that part of the world. I think the most correct way to look at it would be that she knew the rules, knew the punishment, and decided to do it anyway. I also don't see anything wrong with her father telling her it's safe to come home. Similar to a SWAT team telling a suspect to come out to just "chat" and then taking him down.

Originally posted by ZenOps
PS: Washington DC is the murder capital of the world, but it has subsided in the last decade. They peaked at almost 500 back in 1991.

Washington DC? I think not. Google is your friend.

sr20s14zenki
01-23-2011, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Feruk
I also don't see anything wrong with her father telling her it's safe to come home.

Washington DC? I think not. Google is your friend. [/B]

Are you mentally challenged?

And yes, i read the rest of your post, and its pretty retarded, but that stood out as the worst part.

ZenOps
01-23-2011, 09:40 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Washington,_D.C.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/153988.stm

Leave it up to the Brits to give an impartial viewpoint.

Now, you can *maybe* say that Chicago edged them out last year... But I wouldn't.

Juarez Mexico? Depending on what you call murder I guess. They do have a lot more dismemberments (limb hacking) and butt stabbings which inadvertantly lead to death.

So I guess you could pick from the three. But for sure anything before the year 2006 or so - was DC.

Feruk
01-24-2011, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki

Are you mentally challenged?

And yes, i read the rest of your post, and its pretty retarded, but that stood out as the worst part.

It's not our culture dude, we can't reasonably judge. People over there find pre-marital sex wrong, drinking wrong, abortion wrong, and not praying towards Mecca 6 times a day wrong. I'm sure a lot of them are as disgusted with what we do here as we are with this murder. Whose to say they're wrong and we're right. That's a very narrow minded mentality. When you go to someone else's country, you follow their rules, not ours.

Little Dragon
01-24-2011, 01:25 AM
^

You say it like that whole country just doesn't care about these kinds of things. It's murder and they know it, why do you think the cops raided the village and detained her father and uncle? They (the family) know it's wrong, they even tried to cover it up with her "committing suicide".

Bottom line is I don't care what country/culture you are in. No one should be forced into a situation where their life is at risk.

LadyLuck
01-24-2011, 01:26 AM
When you go to someone else's country, you follow their rules, not ours.

And when they come to our country, they still follow their own rules, and not ours.

CUG
01-24-2011, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by LadyLuck

And when they come to our country, they still follow their own rules, and not ours. :clap: F-king rights. I can't believe there were instances of female circumcision and mercy killings on our soil.

Feruk, not laying rage on your idea, but it's our duty to judge. If we didn't, ethics and morals would never have emerged as societal values. Being judgmental keeps you safe when it makes you do things like cross the street when there's a group of drunk homeless natives coming at you on the sidewalk.

I'm not sure if you meant we should be considerate of their cultural history; that they haven't been exposed to our way of life, but regardless, we should in no way be welcoming to those people, nor should we find their fucking disgusting behavior even remotely tolerable.

BMDUBS
01-24-2011, 02:21 AM

It's not our culture dude, we can't reasonably judge. People over there find pre-marital sex wrong, drinking wrong, abortion wrong, and not praying towards Mecca 6 times a day wrong. I'm sure a lot of them are as disgusted with what we do here as we are with this murder. Whose to say they're wrong and we're right. That's a very narrow minded mentality. When you go to someone else's country, you follow their rules, not ours.

When you go to someone else's country, you follow their rules, not ours.

How soon we forget. Dad and brothe killed their daughter/sister just recently in Ontario. This animalistic behavior needs to stay in that part of the world.

BMDUBS
01-24-2011, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by CUG
:clap: F-king rights. I can't believe there were instances of female circumcision and mercy killings on our soil.

Feruk, not laying rage on your idea, but it's our duty to judge. If we didn't, ethics and morals would never have emerged as societal values. Being judgmental keeps you safe when it makes you do things like cross the street when there's a group of drunk homeless natives coming at you on the sidewalk.

I'm not sure if you meant we should be considerate of their cultural history; that they haven't been exposed to our way of life, but regardless, we should in no way be welcoming to those people, nor should we find their fucking disgusting behavior even remotely tolerable.

AMEN to that!

Feruk
01-24-2011, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by CUG
:clap: F-king rights. I can't believe there were instances of female circumcision and mercy killings on our soil.

I'm in total agreement that this type of behaviour has no place in Canada, but we're talking about something that happened in Pakistan. Beyond that, we're gonna have to agree to disagree, as I doubt either could convince the other.

badatusrnames
01-24-2011, 12:39 PM

:rolleyes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_areas_by_intentional_homicide

I don't see DC near the top in any of those lists...

turbotrip
01-24-2011, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by LadyLuck

And when they come to our country, they still follow their own rules, and not ours.

can you please elaborate on who you are referring to when you say "they" and "ours"?

dawerks
01-24-2011, 02:41 PM
Want another metric to find a really shitty country?

Find the one that has the highest rate of female suicides per capita.

I'm guessing Pakistan is near the top.

gretz
01-24-2011, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip

can you please elaborate on who you are referring to when you say "they" and "ours"?

she's clearly referring to "you people"

CUG
01-24-2011, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip

can you please elaborate on who you are referring to when you say "they" and "ours"? She definitely meant you.

BMDUBS
01-24-2011, 03:51 PM

I'm in total agreement that this type of behaviour has no place in Canada, but we're talking about something that happened in Pakistan. Beyond that, we're gonna have to agree to disagree, as I doubt either could convince the other.

Huh. Good mature response Feruk... agree to disagree. I applaud you taking the high road....

Little Dragon
01-25-2011, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by gretz

she's clearly referring to "you people"

tAlVKgl_zCQ

desi112
01-25-2011, 08:41 AM
How can a father do this?

ekguy
01-25-2011, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by desi112
How can a father do this?

because Allah said it was ok to do so...Hahahaha religion...And don't think I'm just picking on Muslims. I was raised Roman Catholic and I feel the systematic cover up of child abuse in that religion is disgusting as well. Crusades....Disgusting. So many things about religion are horrible. The bad is starting to outweigh the good.

BananaFob
01-25-2011, 09:14 AM

because Allah said it was ok to do so...Hahahaha religion...And don't think I'm just picking on Muslims. I was raised Roman Catholic and I feel the systematic cover up of child abuse in that religion is disgusting as well. Crusades....Disgusting. So many things about religion are horrible. The bad is starting to outweigh the good.

For the last time, this has nothing to do with religion. It's a cultural issue.

They are common in rural areas where, under centuries-old tribal customs, getting married without permission of male relatives or having sex outside marriage is deemed a serious slight to the honour of the family or the tribe.

syeve
01-25-2011, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by BananaFob

For the last time, this has nothing to do with religion. It's a cultural issue.

I agree, but don't you think it's a bit naive to think that religion has nothing to do with this. Religion is after all a "tribal-custom".

R!zz0
01-25-2011, 09:41 AM
It's amazing when you hear murders in Pakistan you automatically assume they're Muslims. It's like saying when you hear a murder in Canada you assume a white person did it :rofl:

syeve
01-25-2011, 10:02 AM
^^Yah, I don't know why we would ever do that?

Islam is the state religion in Pakistan, which is practised by about 95-97% of the 174,578,558 people of the nation. - Wiki.

dexlargo
01-25-2011, 11:23 AM
PS: Washington DC is the murder capital of the world, but it has subsided in the last decade. They peaked at almost 500 back in 1991. Oh god, not a bunch of easily disproved claims by Zenops again? Every time I respond, I swear it's the last time, but I have these numbers for the US right at hand. Combine these with the statistics on Wikipedia (if you trust them) for the world, and these are the results:

Depending on how you look at it, the murder capital of the world is either in Brazil or Colombia.

If you're measuring by total number of murders, it's either Rio de Janeiro, or Sao Paolo in Brazil - they've been switching back and forth, but have been over ten thousand in a year. Their most recent numbers have been around 4 to 5 thousand per year. But their populations are large - Sao Paolo metroplolitan area is about 20 million people, roughly the size of the New York Metropolitan area, which unsurprisingly has the highest murders by volume in the USA, at about 800 per year.

If you're going on a per capita basis, there's no question that Colombia has the murder capital of the world in it, it's just not clear which of its cities it is, but several cities report murder rates of over 100 per 100,000 people annually. Compare that with the highest murder rate city in the US in 2009: The New Orleans Metropolitan Area at 21.4 per 100,000 (on 254 murders in 2009). Washington DC's murder rate in 2009 was a lowly 6 per 100,000 with 325 total murders in the metropolitan area.

2009 US crime statistics by metropolitan area as collected by the FBI (http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2009/data/table_06.html)

BananaFob
01-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by syeve

I agree, but don't you think it's a bit naive to think that religion has nothing to do with this. Religion is after all a "tribal-custom".

No, not in this specific case. If you re-read the original article, it mentions that her parents did not approve because the man she married was from a lower caste. The caste system is not a part of Islam, it's social and cultural stratification.

Seth1968
01-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by syeve

ZING!

You're playing nice though.

More like, "Religion is after all an archaic and ignorant tribal custom".

Seth1968
01-25-2011, 11:41 AM
Oh god, not a bunch of easily disproved claims by Zenops again?

Despite the certain misgivings, I don't think I'm alone in stating that Zenops has intriguing points.

gretz
01-25-2011, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by BananaFob

No, not in this specific case. If you re-read the original article, it mentions that her parents did not approve because the man she married was from a lower caste. The caste system is not a part of Islam, it's social and cultural stratification.

Are you part Islam / Muslim?

desi112
01-25-2011, 11:53 AM

the article does say that, and a person can't be part Islam much like you can't be part christianity (assumption).

Or I can't be part Sikhisim

BananaFob
01-25-2011, 11:53 AM

Nope.

Seth1968
01-25-2011, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by desi112

the article does say that, and a person can't be part Islam much like you can't be part christianity (assumption).

Or I can't be part Sikhisim

:facepalm: