PDA

View Full Version : switching to Telus DSL... from Shaw!!

evoXfan
01-23-2011, 08:28 PM
So earlier this week, a Telus rep called my cell (with Telus) and offered me something pretty good deal.

I get Home phone with CID, 15Mbps internet (same with my shaw right now, or not the same if you know what i mean), and TV with 3 PVR with all the chinese channels to please my parents... PLUS -$30 off my Telus cell bill permanently as long as I stay on this package. All this for about $8x for first 12 months, and $12x after. So if you factor in the -$30, it's only $5x for first 12 months, then $9x after that.

I told the rep to call me back the next day and I should be able to tell him if I want it or not. But he didn't, and now I think this is a very good deal considering my Shaw is shit these last few weeks (right now maxing my usenet download at less than 200kb/s).

So my thread question is, anyway to just call Telus retention or something to get this deal (or better)? I hope to get some HD channels thrown in to it as well. Also, are those PVRs offered to keep or just first 12 months usually?

GoChris
01-23-2011, 09:19 PM
I dunno, but I just want to say I would like to switch to Telus, I hear good things about their TV (but Telus as a company still sucks balls). However I can only get 1 HD stream at my location :(

Muji
01-23-2011, 09:40 PM
If you get a contact name and number, pass it along. I would be interested in the deal. Perhaps you get a finder's fee?

Toma
01-23-2011, 10:12 PM
Plus, I hear Shaw is starting to send out bandwidth usage warnings....

If I get one, they can go fuck themselves asap

adam c
01-23-2011, 10:20 PM
as much as i hated the original telus tv service i think i'll be switching back after my 1 year shaw promotion ends, i priced it out and a 2 year contract with telus for comparable service of what i have now will be around 120 a month while with shaw it's going to jump to 2xx at the end of june

tenth
01-24-2011, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Toma
Plus, I hear Shaw is starting to send out bandwidth usage warnings....

If I get one, they can go fuck themselves asap
x2.

In the 250-400GB usage range on extreme, so only a matter of time. Moving all of my e-mail from Shaw to Google to prepare.

eblend
01-24-2011, 02:21 PM
Do it man, to get to retentions just call telus phone number and say you want to cancel (even if you don't have service with them) and you will talk directly to retentions, done it myself for my service and the service at my parents, highly recommended. Been on shaw since forever, Telus has been rock solid.

Not sure of your PVR deal thing, but with telus you just get 1 PVR, and the additional stuff are just extra recievers which can access the 1 PVR anywhere in the home. Additional recievers can't be used as PVRs (yet..update coming), but you can set recordings and watch recording on all recievers in the house, all from 1 pvr. I set my parents up on dec 24th, and they got each service for 15 bucks for 12 month, and i needed a ton of recievers (they have 4 tvs) so I got the pvr as a free rental on 3 year term, another reciever for free, and bought 2 boxes outright ($150 each). With telus you only get 2HD (some people get 3HD, not available everywhere) and 1 SD at the same time, so if it is just your parents it will be fine like it was in my case, but if you have more than 2 people or recoding stuff all the time while watching something else, then you will reach the current limits (there are no "tuners" in these boxes, they are all IPTV based), so the limit is the line speed. I currently only have 2 TVs at my place, so i got a pvr and a non pvr box myself, and never reached the limit myself, as even if you run out of HD feeds you can always watch something in SD

GoChris
01-24-2011, 03:19 PM
^^ But some places only have 1HD stream, believe it or not, the only reason I have not switched yet.

Xtrema
01-24-2011, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by GoChris
^^ But some places only have 1HD stream, believe it or not, the only reason I have not switched yet.

That's the only reason I have not considered Telus.

adam c
01-24-2011, 03:32 PM
btw can someone confirm that watching their new optik service isn't like watching a youtube video anymore

SOAB
01-24-2011, 04:23 PM
^^ confirmed.

i just switched over last week and it's been great. 2 HD tvs both with HD feed. i got a pretty sweet deal from them too.

Xtrema
01-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by adam c
btw can someone confirm that watching their new optik service isn't like watching a youtube video anymore

I don't see any problem on the single HD feed with internet still pretty decent but def not fast like Extreme.

adam c
01-24-2011, 07:35 PM
back in my old place i had the normal telus tv, they didn't have optik at the time and basically every channel was like watching a youtube video on your tv, just wanna make sure it will be worth going back into a contract for

eblend
01-24-2011, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by adam c
back in my old place i had the normal telus tv, they didn't have optik at the time and basically every channel was like watching a youtube video on your tv, just wanna make sure it will be worth going back into a contract for

Trust me, it is nowhere near like watching videos on youtube, just beautiful HD

WhippWhapp
01-25-2011, 04:58 AM
One HighDef feed at my place, but I don't really see it as a problem.

My first Actiontec modem/router went tits up when I hooked up my home network, required a week's worth of troubleshooting and two visits by Telus techs. Both of them tried to tell me that my network was "too much of a load" which is a load of shit, IMHO- it was fine with Shaw.

Two 360's, a Wii, Patriot BO, 2 desktop computers, 2 wireless laptops and a WHS. Finally able to get everything connected by eliminating my (dhp disabled) router downstairs, networking one 360 wirelessly, disconnecting powerline over ethernet and using coax for other 360.

This setup leaves me with no available ports should I need to add anything else down the road, but at this point I am just happy my tv's are working and streaming from WHS works.

Now that I've seen it, the GUI is leaps and bounds ahead of Shaw, didn't think it'd be that much of a difference. The high def feeds are just as good as Shaw's, quality varies with source material as usual.

All in all, Optik+ Internet gets a thumbs up from me, Shaw Extreme was not even close in my area.

eblend
01-25-2011, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by WhippWhapp

This setup leaves me with no available ports should I need to add anything else down the road, but at this point I am just happy my tv's are working and streaming from WHS works.

Throw an 8 port switch in the mix, and whola, 7 more ports. The number of ports on the router is never really the limit.

Phenix
01-25-2011, 08:36 AM
I was looking at getting tv and Internet with them but he usage limits are a little concerning. Has anyone else seen that there are limits to how much you can download? Or did you guys work out a unlimited deal with them?

Also shaw has it's own anti virus software ( shaw secure) does telus offer something similar?

GoChris
01-25-2011, 08:55 AM
Telus usage limites are more forgiving, and there are lots of free virus solutions out there, no reason to rely on Shaw.

Disoblige
01-25-2011, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Phenix
I was looking at getting tv and Internet with them but he usage limits are a little concerning. Has anyone else seen that there are limits to how much you can download? Or did you guys work out a unlimited deal with them?

Also shaw has it's own anti virus software ( shaw secure) does telus offer something similar?
Telus offers protection too but don't you dare install it! Biggest piece of crap in the world. Shaw Secure sucks too, but if you're looking for "free" that is still better than some.

I learned better 2 years ago and un-installed Shaw Secure. ESET Node ftw because it's free for me :)

Phenix
01-25-2011, 09:09 AM
Ya I had eset nod 32. Before it worked really good

R!zz0
01-25-2011, 09:29 AM
I switched to Telus last week and i love it. Shaw pretty much told me to fuck off. I was with Shaw for 16 years and they wouldn't give me a deal on HD box or give me a break on anything. I was paying $132 a month for just TV and light speed internet. They said they only give great deals to new customers :confused:

Xtrema
01-25-2011, 09:53 AM
^ I guess too many call to "cancel" to get a deal. After I got my everything for $80/month deal, my buddy tried and got nowhere with the retention CSR.

SOAB
01-25-2011, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by R!zz0
I switched to Telus last week and i love it. Shaw pretty much told me to fuck off. I was with Shaw for 16 years and they wouldn't give me a deal on HD box or give me a break on anything. I was paying $132 a month for just TV and light speed internet. They said they only give great deals to new customers :confused:

i just don't understand that mentality when it comes to business.

why treat new customers better than existing customers???

i was with Telus for land line and internet before i got TV with them. they were MORE than happy to give me a deal on my other services when i signed up for TV as well. once my contract with Rogers for my cell phone is up, i'll probably call Telus and see what they'll do for me.

Rarasaurus
01-25-2011, 10:00 AM
I am with Telus for Optik. For the most part i am happy with the service, but at times the HD looks pixeled. Specially on darker scenes.

They also have a pretty low limit i think 125gb a month. Do they actually charge you if you go over?

Tik-Tok
01-25-2011, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by evoXfan

15Mbps internet (same with my shaw right now, or not the same if you know what i mean)

Your right, it's not the same.

Shaw (at my house) is much faster, even at the "same speed". On Telus, my torrents only ever maxed out at 1.2MB/s, where with shaw I've had up to 2.3MB/s.

I do live in an older neighborhood though, so our phone lines are probably decades old. I never had any problems with Telus, I did like it, I only switched to shaw because they offered me $20/month internet for a year.

R!zz0
01-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Rarasaurus
They also have a pretty low limit i think 125gb a month. Do they actually charge you if you go over?

They wont as long as you have their TV package with them.
I was told by a Telus Rep.

R!zz0
01-25-2011, 10:21 AM
The only bad thing about Telus is they don't give you HDMI cable like Shaw does. Instead they give you component. I just bought HDMI for $11 on line :D

iblizzard
01-25-2011, 10:21 AM
I'm currently in the process of switching over. I've already set a cancellation date for my Shaw account, and am just trying to find the best deal for Telus right now. Looking for basic TV and whatever the best internet package is only and I've been quoted $43/mo for the first three months, and $60/mo after that. I've had that response from 5 different people now.

If you find someone offering a better deal, I'd love to know. Regardless of the deal I get (or don't), I'll be switching to Telus in less than a month.

evoXfan
01-25-2011, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Your right, it's not the same.

Shaw (at my house) is much faster, even at the "same speed". On Telus, my torrents only ever maxed out at 1.2MB/s, where with shaw I've had up to 2.3MB/s.

I do live in an older neighborhood though, so our phone lines are probably decades old. I never had any problems with Telus, I did like it, I only switched to shaw because they offered me $20/month internet for a year.

Yes and I said I was maxing my usenet (if you know what that is) at 200kb/s... I don't doubt you are getting that speed either. It was only less than a year ago I was maxing usenet at 1.8MB/s 24/7

Point4Dave
02-05-2011, 05:37 PM
I switched to Telus after years and years of shaw. Couldn't be happier. No more slowdowns to stop when all the neighbors kids get home from school.

Point4Dave
02-05-2011, 05:40 PM
The only bad thing about Telus is they don't give you HDMI cable like Shaw does. Instead they give you component. I just bought HDMI for $11 on line :D

If you ask for one they will give you one. Telus doesn't "support" hdmi so they supply component. When asked about not supporting it I was told the video can sometimes not pull while sound does... which actually is a known issue in some setups so I guess they are saving themselves a lot of calls complaining about it. Most of the time you won't have any problems with HDMI and the telus boxes.

Scope951
02-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Just as a tidbit of information.

telus has approx 40 users per hub for internet

shaw runs 8 users per hub, not to mention the use of coaxial cables and dedicated lines.

People complaining about shaw need to call shaw and say "telus is offering me this, what can you offer me?" if they tell you to pound sand tell them to cancel the account and switch to telus.

Usually if you have a legitimate offering from telus, shaw really will try to match it.

regardless best of luck to all your telecommunication nightmares!

PS: Try to get the door to door guys, they have the BEST promotions, usually those shaw would not advertise.

eblend
02-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Scope951
Just as a tidbit of information.

telus has approx 40 users per hub for internet

shaw runs 8 users per hub, not to mention the use of coaxial cables and dedicated lines.

Confused, you make it sound like Shaw has a superior setup. Dedicated lines...explain, telus has dedicated wires too...trying to get an idea of what you are trying to say, because from my own experience Telus has been a heck of a lot better for myself in every aspect.

GoChris
02-05-2011, 09:06 PM
Shaw is clearly overloaded in many areas. I bet that number is not the same everywhere. I'm on extreme and I'm getting 5Mbps right now. I've called and they admitted the area is overloaded but wouldn't be fixed until "it gets really bad"

Fuck Shaw. I'm phoning Telus ASAP. Just wish I could get more than 1 HD stream but I'm sure that will eventually get upgraded.

Disoblige
02-05-2011, 11:01 PM
Eh.. A couple years ago I could clearly say stay stick with Shaw.

Now.. I'm not quite sure. Even at 3-4 in the morning, my internet speeds aren't that much better. I will stay with Shaw for now though since I don't have any issues and after calling them, I'm saving a ton on my bill for a year.

As long as I don't need to use Telus' piece of shit Modem/Router combo, I'm good.

R!zz0
02-06-2011, 10:33 AM
Telus told me that i have the optic turbo internet but, the max i have seen on my torrent is 1.2MBPS. Is it because i live in an older area of N.E.? According to other people, i should be getting 8-10MBPS :dunno:

Tik-Tok
02-06-2011, 10:40 AM
Telus told me that i have the optic turbo internet but, the max i have seen on my torrent is 1.2MBPS. Is it because i live in an older area of N.E.? According to other people, i should be getting 8-10MBPS :dunno:

I never got above 1.2 MB/s either, no way you're going to get 8-10 MB/s, that's 64Mb/s, and telus turbo is only advertised at 10-15Mb/s

Mind your capitals, 1 MB = 8.8 Mb

raceman6135
02-06-2011, 02:28 PM
I have TELUS Optik as well, and my torrents never exceed 1.2 MB/s, but downloading documents, etc. and speedtest.net all are closer to 10 MB/s (all while watching a single SD feed).

eblend
02-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by raceman6135
I have TELUS Optik as well, and my torrents never exceed 1.2 MB/s, but downloading documents, etc. and speedtest.net all are closer to 10 MB/s (all while watching a single SD feed).

speedtest.net shows in Mbits, the whole service is 15megabits, 10MB/s is like 80Mbits per second

1.2MB/s on torrent is largely dependent on other people's connections and you are downloading from many people. Use usenet to get a good test.

I would take 1.2MB/s anytime over 230kb/s at night time with Shaw.

So many people are confused by the whole bits vs bytes it isn't even funny.

Scope951
02-06-2011, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by eblend

Confused, you make it sound like Shaw has a superior setup. Dedicated lines...explain, telus has dedicated wires too...trying to get an idea of what you are trying to say, because from my own experience Telus has been a heck of a lot better for myself in every aspect.

Sorry, this is from my understanding when I worked for Shaw.

first, the dedicated lines, unless you are running full TRUE optik you are still using your ADSL lines in the house (common in older communities) and will not see true optik speeds which are 10-12mb.

Shaw is able to overcome this because they plug into the same cable that your TV uses. Inside has the dedicated lines usually dug in from the alley and under the house allowing 7-12mb (Shaw High speed)

It really is hit or miss with telecommunications in Calgary. What it really comes down too is the wiring in your house and age.

Zero102
02-07-2011, 09:20 AM
Telus actually worked to get my business and gave me a decent deal. I had issues getting connected and it took 2 days longer than expected but they gave me a 2 month credit for that which makes it pretty hard to be upset about. I get speeds of ~600-700kB/sec 24 hours a day.

I was a Shaw customer for 8 years before that and Shaw has cranked up my rates every 6-10 months for the last 4 years. When I complained about it outright TAUNTED ME to cancel and it took 4 calls to retentions before somebody finally offered to at least freeze my rates. Then since I had a credit on my account I have had to fight with then for 5 months to get my $21 back. The last 2-3 years I was with shaw I had troubles getting speeds over 400kB/sec at my house at all times of the day.

I used to think Shaw was all about customer service, and Telus was a bunch of dickbags. I have changed my mind. Telus is getting my business and I have convinced 4 members of our family to switch their internet service to Telus from Shaw.

R!zz0
02-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Never thought i would say this but, Telus for the win :nut:

Shaw is losing more and more customers daily to Telus.

flipstah
02-07-2011, 10:06 AM

I live in old NE and initially signed up for that too but since there's no fiberoptic lines, we can't get 8-10Mbps (if that changed recently, I'm willing to switch).

I dropped Telus and went to Shaw after I did a speed-test one day after I noticed MAJOR lag, complained about it and found out that Telus charged me for non-existent service.