PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Opportunities

desmond
01-24-2011, 06:56 AM
Hi, Im planning to move to Calgary soon. Before the economic downturn, i have heard a lot about how wonderful career opportunities in Calgary were. And that the pay is higher compared to other provinces and cities (big box jobs have $14 to start with. Wonder if they're true.) Just wondering how the job opportunities are right now? Does Calgary still pay more compared to others?
Thanks

rinny
01-24-2011, 09:28 AM
Im not sure if Calgary needs more unskilled labour...they seem to have quite a bit as it is.

Nonetheless, jobs are plentiful- if you have skills and look in the right industry.

No matter what, living in AB you are taxed less therefore yes, Alberta pays more.

You are have several open-ended, subjective inquiries so perhaps you have not researched your move to Calgary as well as you should?

ercchry
01-24-2011, 09:41 AM
it will also cost you $700/month for rent... so you figure out if there is an advantage

curious_joe
01-24-2011, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by rinny
Im not sure if Calgary needs more unskilled labour...they seem to have quite a bit as it is.

Nonetheless, jobs are plentiful- if you have skills and look in the right industry.

No matter what, living in AB you are taxed less therefore yes, Alberta pays more.

You are have several open-ended, subjective inquiries so perhaps you have not researched your move to Calgary as well as you should?

Thank you. And yes, i am just starting my research. Is the boom over?

kaput
01-24-2011, 10:04 AM

sputnik
01-24-2011, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by kaput

You don't get much for $700/month in Calgary...

:werd:

Unless you want to live in the hood, you really need to budget at least $1000/month rent.

ercchry
01-24-2011, 10:22 AM
damn i feel lucky with where i live, i just threw out a number cause i heard average rent is $900 but i didnt believe it :rofl:

JBreaks
01-24-2011, 10:30 AM
In my opinion Calgary will be the place to be in North America within the next 5 years. Many "baby boom" generation people in management positions will be making an exit, leaving the door wide open for the next generation in all industries.

Just from my observations of job postings there seems to still be pretty good demand for people with trades foreman tickets, and construction management experience.

rinny
01-24-2011, 10:53 AM
I'll disagree with the above statements about rent- true if you're rooming by yourself, not quite true if you'd be rooming in a house.

Example- we rented a nice 1800sq ft house in Chaparral for 1600 a month, utils not included. It was spacious enough for 4, and therefore quite affordable (and fun).

That being said, you will probably save a bit of money as provincial healthcare premium is free, and there is no PST or HST, both benefits could save you 60-80 a month.

Iceman_19
01-24-2011, 11:50 AM
Not all people like to room with 3 other people. If thats the case, yes, bank on $1k a month for rent and utilities. Thats about half of your gross $14/hr monthly wage. What a way to live!

curious_joe
01-25-2011, 04:50 AM
Now, back to Calgary job vacancies and pay :D

drewb
01-25-2011, 02:06 PM
op where are you moving from?

desmond
01-26-2011, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by drewb
op where are you moving from?

Im moving from Malaysia

Iceman_19
01-26-2011, 09:47 PM
Why do you have 2 accounts?

desmond
01-27-2011, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by Iceman_19
Why do you have 2 accounts?

one is my brother's. Didn't noticed that he was logged on when i post my reply.

rinny
01-27-2011, 12:13 PM
How does someone from Malaysia come across a forum like this...just curious?

Mar
01-27-2011, 12:25 PM
the boom ended like 3 years ago.

desmond
01-28-2011, 08:10 AM
How does someone from Malaysia come across a forum like this...just curious?

Googled Calgary forum

ercchry
01-28-2011, 08:56 AM
so do you have canadian citizenship? if not it will probably not be all that easy to get a work visa here for unskilled labour :dunno:

also $14/hr in canada=not good pay at all

on top of all of that.... it snows here, more than half the year sometimes. plus its danm cold! the weather you get all year over there we might see a handful of days a year.

Iceman_19
01-28-2011, 09:16 AM
2240 a month, before taxes, say 1800 after, take 400-800 out of that for rent and utilities, and that leaves you around 1000 a month for food, clothing, other bills, etc. You dont get rich off that, thats for sure.

rinny
01-28-2011, 09:48 AM
I guess we're all assuming he's unskilled...but since he hasnt negated that fact then perhaps our assumptions are correct.

Nonetheless, DO IT! Who cares if you live cheque to cheque, get a travel visa and come make some friends and experience Canada for as long as you can. THEN apply for residence

desmond
01-29-2011, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
so do you have canadian citizenship? if not it will probably not be all that easy to get a work visa here for unskilled labour :dunno:

also $14/hr in canada=not good pay at all

on top of all of that.... it snows here, more than half the year sometimes. plus its danm cold! the weather you get all year over there we might see a handful of days a year.

Yes I am PR status.
Regarding $14, i just heard that big boxes in Calgary pays $14 for starters. Wonder if it's true.
Thanks

desmond
01-29-2011, 03:02 AM
I guess we're all assuming he's unskilled...but since he hasnt negated that fact then perhaps our assumptions are correct.

Nonetheless, DO IT! Who cares if you live cheque to cheque, get a travel visa and come make some friends and experience Canada for as long as you can. THEN apply for residence

Yes I am unskilled, unfortunately. :(
Thanks

Myrrinda
01-31-2011, 07:43 PM
You could always try to find a job working in the hospitality industry in Banff.

For construction you can always try CANA or PCL. They're 2 of the big ones. Lot's of buildings going up still, so there's always work in construction. You just have to be able to brave the cold weather, since construction workers don't get time off just because it's cold out.

If you want to make money, you have to work on the oil rigs. It's not easy work.

Mar
01-31-2011, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Myrrinda
You could always try to find a job working in the hospitality industry in Banff.

For construction you can always try CANA or PCL. They're 2 of the big ones. Lot's of buildings going up still, so there's always work in construction. You just have to be able to brave the cold weather, since construction workers don't get time off just because it's cold out.

If you want to make money, you have to work on the oil rigs. It's not easy work.

And cold means -45 degrees celsius for a week at a time.

adam c
01-31-2011, 08:34 PM

sure they do, anything below -30 and they stop working

Myrrinda
02-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by adam c

Right, but don't forget he's from Malaysia.

adam c
02-01-2011, 01:57 PM

Right, but don't forget he's from Malaysia.

he might become a real man and grow some hair on his balls then

LLLimit
02-01-2011, 02:31 PM
My cousin came here from Malaysia, spent a couple years here and peaced out to hongcouver and away from the (relatively) retarded cold.

Another thought.

Cold snap + bad ass/unreliable transit system when -20, you'll need a car. No way to buy yourself a Proton Saga and keep her full on Petronas on $14/hour.

ExtraSlow
02-01-2011, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by adam c
That's not true of the rigs I run. We have run at colder than -30 several times this winter. We might give them extra breaks to warm up, that's about it.

ercchry
02-01-2011, 04:02 PM
While there are no specific requirements related to working in
the heat or cold, the Act requires employers to ensure the
health and safety of workers at their work sites. Part 2 of the
Code requires employers to assess and control hazards
workers may be exposed to at the work site.

page 32

http://employment.alberta.ca/documents/WHS/WHS-PUB_gs006.pdf

desmond
02-02-2011, 03:48 AM
Thanks for the replies. Other than the oil industry, how's the career opportunities in other fields? Are there still a lot of "HELP WANTED" signs in the city for an unskilled people?
Thanks