PDA

View Full Version : Unknown red light camera flash.

Seth1968
01-24-2011, 09:26 AM
Hello.

Very early this morning, I was stopped at a red on the South side of an intersection. One other vehicle was stopped on the North side, with no vehicles West or East.

While sitting at the red, two flashes from the South side went off about 3 or 4 seconds apart. Is that some sort of automatic calibration?

Quiet10
01-24-2011, 11:38 AM
I had this happen late last night, except it was only one flash. I was coming to a stop at a light (I believe it was Anderson and Acadia) and there was one car in front of me and then bang flash. We all sat there until green and proceeded as normal... Was wondering what the hell was going on. :dunno:

eb0i
01-24-2011, 11:40 AM
Ghost car must have went through the intersection and set it off.

Kloubek
01-24-2011, 11:43 AM
^^ I see what you did there....

You know, sometimes when these things flash in the middle of the night it really messes with your vision if you happen to be looking in that area. It happened to me a couple of months ago and I just happened to be glancing right at the camera. I literally couldn't see properly for a good 10 seconds.

I wonder if in all their studies they've considered the fact these things could potentially CAUSE crashes...

Seth1968
01-24-2011, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
^^ I see what you did there....

You know, sometimes when these things flash in the middle of the night it really messes with your vision if you happen to be looking in that area. It happened to me a couple of months ago and I just happened to be glancing right at the camera. I literally couldn't see properly for a good 10 seconds.

I wonder if in all their studies they've considered the fact these things could potentially CAUSE crashes...

They probably figured it out:

Lawsuit $ < Revenue $

signal_11
01-24-2011, 12:32 PM
More than likely they are errors in the devices. I've seen some of them go off constantly displaying intermittent error behavior. Several flashes all in a row, seemingly random flashes, etc. The lights at 16th ave and 10st NW flash like a strobe light sometimes, when there is no traffic and you're the only car there waiting for the light to change.

GOnSHO
01-24-2011, 12:38 PM
the light at Elbow and Heritage is SUPER sensitive and goes off for EVERYTHING

just not calibrated correctly.

gretz
01-24-2011, 12:40 PM
I wonder how many of these give incorrect tickets if they go off whenever...

Another "how to fight a red-light cam. ticket" thread coming up lol... "I didn't even run it, it just went off"

Benny
01-24-2011, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by signal_11
The lights at 16th ave and 10st NW flash like a strobe light sometimes, when there is no traffic and you're the only car there waiting for the light to change.

Yeah that one has been fucked forever. My buddy had a place down by there years ago and every time we'd hit up that liquor store on the corner we'd always see that flash go off at the most random times. Really fucking bright too. :nut:

signal_11
01-24-2011, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Benny

Yeah that one has been fucked forever. My buddy had a place down by there years ago and every time we'd hit up that liquor store on the corner we'd always see that flash go off at the most random times. Really fucking bright too. :nut:
Yeah, I am surprised they use those things and the multi-nova vans at night. I have been completely blinded by one on Memorial near Parkdale driving in the opposite direction. I couldn't see a thing. Probably wouldn't make a difference but I wonder if we make any complaints about them running that stuff at night.

clem24
01-24-2011, 03:59 PM
A really bad one is the one of 14th St NW northbound @ Northmount Dr. That thing will flash if you come to a complete stop and then turn right. I've seen many crews there working on it but it's never been fixed. I don't see why they don't just disable it cause it's probably scaring the crap out of everyone that gets flashed by it.

speedog
01-24-2011, 04:15 PM
Yeah, the northbound 14th Street one at Northmount Drive is very sensitive to someone turning right at a northbound red light. Been flashed at least half a dozen times turning right there and have never once received a ticket. Talked to the CPS about it and they says it's all about your speed coming into the signal loop and if the two pictures taken can show that you're turning, then no ticket is sent out. Easiest thing is to just adjust your driving habits a bit - you won't be any more dangerous to those behind you and the light won't flash as much although that particular light is still way too sensitive IMHO.

clem24
01-26-2011, 09:41 AM
^^^ LOL it was worse than that this morning.. It was snapping people turning LEFT going in the OPPOSITE direction! If I ever get a ticket from that cam, even for running red or even speeding, you'd bet I'd be challenging it.

Dilmah
01-26-2011, 10:27 AM
They take two pictures of your car so they can photoshop one of them into the intersection and send you a ticket. :thumbsup:

codetrap
01-26-2011, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by signal_11

Yeah, I am surprised they use those things and the multi-nova vans at night. I have been completely blinded by one on Memorial near Parkdale driving in the opposite direction. I couldn't see a thing. Probably wouldn't make a difference but I wonder if we make any complaints about them running that stuff at night.

I wonder if you could report this to the police emergency line.

"Officer, I want to report some idiot is sitting at the side of the road flashing a super bright light into the eyes of oncoming traffic. It hit me by surprise and I almost lost control of my vehicle. They're going to kill someone! They're located at ....."

You wouldn't technically be filing a false report. I might try this some day.

Squishy
01-26-2011, 03:41 PM
I had the one at the end of Macleod South go off on me the other night. Light was red, inched forward, not even at the first thick line yet and it flashed.

I've also had the one on Elbow & Heritage go off while I was turning right.