PDA

View Full Version : Transmission rebuild advice

SmAcKpOo
01-24-2011, 01:02 PM
'03 Civic SiR has what Honda calls "a transmission with shavings stopping the car from being put in to gear"

When the car is off I can put the car in to any gear without any problems what so ever. Hence ruling out any shift linkage, shift assembly, and what not.

When the car is turned on, I can only get the car in to 1st, 2nd, and reverse. Which leads me to believe it is a possible clutch problem.

Honda called me today and said that they recommend they rebuild the entire transmission as these "shavings" are the problem.

What I want to know is, why would these shavings be a problem when the car is turned on but not when the car is turned off. Wouldn't this issue be more clutch related?

Advice would be nice as Honda wants 2800$ to rebuild the transmission.

Thanks.

94boosted
01-24-2011, 03:29 PM
If it is actually "shavings" causing a problem then it won't be aparent when everything is off as all of the transmission fluid has settled to the bottom and is not being circulated, however once your driving the fluid is being circulated :dunno:

crapstixs
01-24-2011, 03:47 PM
the shavings them selfs are not preventing it from going in to gear. ide say the syncros are worn and produced the shavings. and the worn syncros are preventing it from going into gear.

SmAcKpOo
01-24-2011, 03:51 PM
Does it matter if the car is turned on or off?

Meaning, does the fact that the car can be put in gear when it is turned off mean anything?

crapstixs
01-24-2011, 04:01 PM
for some reason it is always easyer to go into gear with the engine shut off. i dont think its a clutch problem because you can get into reverse. reverse is the hardest gear to get into, and usally with clutch problems you cannot get into reverse.
and the fact that you have metal in there, that alone is enough to call a tranny.