PDA

View Full Version : Cold Fusion - Sell Your Gas Guzzler NOW!

broken_legs
01-24-2011, 02:41 PM
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-01-italian-scientists-cold-fusion-video.html

Rossi and Focardi say that, when the atomic nuclei of nickel and hydrogen are fused in their reactor, the reaction produces copper and a large amount of energy. The reactor uses less than 1 gram of hydrogen and starts with about 1,000 W of electricity, which is reduced to 400 W after a few minutes. Every minute, the reaction can convert 292 grams of 20°C water into dry steam at about 101°C. Since raising the temperature of water by 80°C and converting it to steam requires about 12,400 W of power, the experiment provides a power gain of 12,400/400 = 31. As for costs, the scientists estimate that electricity can be generated at a cost of less than 1 cent/kWh, which is significantly less than coal or natural gas plants.

Paper for Peer Review here:
http://www.journal-of-nuclear-physics.com/files/Rossi-Focardi_paper.pdf

The response

Rossi and Focardi’s paper on the nuclear reactor has been rejected by peer-reviewed journals, but the scientists aren’t discouraged. They published their paper in the Journal of Nuclear Physics, an online journal founded and run by themselves, which is obviously cause for a great deal of skepticism. They say their paper was rejected because they lack a theory for how the reaction works. According to a press release in Google translate, the scientists say they cannot explain how the cold fusion is triggered, “but the presence of copper and the release of energy are witnesses.”

The fact that Rossi and Focardi chose to reveal the reactor at a press conference, and the fact that their paper lacks details on how the reactor works, has made many people uncomfortable. The demonstration has not been widely covered by the general media. However, last Saturday, the day after the demonstration, the scientists answered questions in an online forum, which has generated a few blog posts.

Redlyne_mr2
01-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Cool stuff.. why would I sell my truck through?

Thaco
01-24-2011, 02:54 PM
because electricity will be basically free, and they could probably stuff one of these bombs in your truck.

i'll believe it when i see it, just like hydrogen was "the future" 5 years ago, which we have never seen.

adam c
01-24-2011, 03:28 PM
^^ except for the part where it produces copper, they will need copper mechanics to remove it from your engine now instead of oil changes

Xtrema
01-24-2011, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by adam c
^^ except for the part where it produces copper, they will need copper mechanics to remove it from your engine now instead of oil changes

Only if the reactor is miniaturized enough to fit in engine bays.

Free electricity and valuable metal? Where do I sign up?

Rarasaurus
01-24-2011, 03:36 PM
It would be easy to filter the copper out. After a few thousand kms you can box it and sell it. With copper prices rising odds are you would be paid to drive....

adam c
01-24-2011, 03:37 PM
copper prices would bottom out if everyone could produce their own

ZenOps
01-24-2011, 03:52 PM
Nickel is $12/pound, Copper is slightly over $4/pound.

Fusing Nickel and (I'm assuming Deuterium) water? Sure, why not. Noone ever said that Hydrogen had to fuse with Hydrogen.

Although the energy is probably coming from the Tritium itself. Sort of like the keychains from dealextreme that will glow for decades...

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/kit-marker-tritium-glowring-keychain-10-year-clear-white-glow-sale-was-9-80-8922

But instead of glowing for 10 years - you are forcing all of the energy out of it in a few seconds to move a car... But that just begs - are we just replacing gasoline with Tritium? In which case we might as well just use regular Hydrogen and burn it.

Deuterium is expensive and has restrictions on usage (since it can be used to enhance nuclear weaponry) Mind you everything is expensive nowadays. Cocoa beans are $1.60/pound today because of the export ban from the Ivory Coast.

The third world refusing to sell food to the first world... Yeah, its over.

rage2
01-24-2011, 04:04 PM
^ I'm pretty sure you have no idea what you're talking about, but I need some time to read up on cold fusion before I can own you. :rofl:

ZenOps
01-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Its not really fusion of course, its just called that.

Its basically just forcing the Tritium to expend its energy all at once instead of its 12.32 year half life. The energy is latent to the water itself, not the metal.

Tritium is something like $5 for a few milligrams and usually used for 12.32 year glowrings with a tracer. I don't think it would ever match gasoline in power output dollar for dollar.

Either that or you would have to breed the nickel isotope in a reactor. meaning you need the fission to create the material needed for the fusion, which has been a huge block since forever. In otherwords, even if it did work it would be too expensive compared again - to gasoline or even coal.

This was restricted science about a decade ago in Canada. Nowdays, you can get it as a cheap novelty from China, lol.

http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/medalsmementoes/dimes.htm

SCHIDER23
01-24-2011, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by rage2
^ I'm pretty sure you have no idea what you're talking about, but I need some time to read up on cold fusion before I can own you. :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:

NuclearPizzaMan
01-24-2011, 05:13 PM
Can we see what you did?

No...

Can you explain what you did?

No...

Can you repeat what you did?

No...

Maybe, they didn't actually succeed? Been on this merry-go-round before.

If you want cold fusion, I'd suggest waiting for announcements from ITER or NIF