PDA

View Full Version : Owner finds dog after four years

Civic_Drift
01-24-2011, 04:13 PM
Thought this was an interesting situation - something you don't expect too often. A man found his missing dog after four years but it seems like the new owner doesn't want to give the dog up. The man is planning to take legal action. Any thoughts or what would have you done in this situation?

http://www.theprovince.com/life/Missing+found+four+years+later+sparks+rift+between+owners/4151016/story.html

Xtrema
01-24-2011, 04:24 PM
If it was lost as a pup, I would want it back. If the dog doesn't have many years left, and in a good home, I would leave it be.

Dogs don't adapt well to new environments is older years... at least mine didn't.

GQBalla
01-24-2011, 05:02 PM
that girl is 13?!?

psycoticclown
01-24-2011, 06:13 PM
^Yea, wtf! That girl looks 18 or older.

adidas
01-24-2011, 06:20 PM
Gillespie said police told him the inability to trace the dog to him four years ago was probably due to human error and that he should consider getting another dog.

Everyone that domesticates an animal in North America cares about them more than they care about themselves.

dandia89
01-25-2011, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by psycoticclown
^Yea, wtf! That girl looks 18 or older.
haven't we heard this before :rofl:

Zewind
01-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Sue the animal shelter that adopt it out.

then go buy a new puppy, get more year of joy. Like Xtreme said - the dog is old.

JRSC00LUDE
01-25-2011, 02:39 PM
If that girl is 13, I'll be a monkey's uncle. :nut:

Feruk
01-25-2011, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
If that girl is 13, I'll be a monkey's uncle. :nut:

Haha good profile pic for that comment! :nut:

clem24
01-25-2011, 04:36 PM
I am sorry but if that dog had no tags and was not registered, then no, that owner should not get it back.

And to be perfectly honest, after FOUR years, if the dog is doing great, in the best interest of the dog, I would give him a hug and wave goodbye. Of course hard to say for sure since I am not in this situation myself but that would be my level headed solution... I mean seriously the dog probably doesn't even remember the original owner since the dog was lost when it was a puppy. So really let's see the guy do what's in the best interest of the dog.

Muji
01-25-2011, 08:39 PM
He has the dog back just in time for all those vet bills dogs rack up in their final years. After four years, the dog is not really interested in the original owner, this is provided the new owner has been a good pet owner.

The court ought to place each "owner" 50 yards in opposite directions, dog in crate, open the door and let the dog decide.

J-hop
01-25-2011, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by clem24
I am sorry but if that dog had no tags and was not registered, then no, that owner should not get it back.

And to be perfectly honest, after FOUR years, if the dog is doing great, in the best interest of the dog, I would give him a hug and wave goodbye. Of course hard to say for sure since I am not in this situation myself but that would be my level headed solution... I mean seriously the dog probably doesn't even remember the original owner since the dog was lost when it was a puppy. So really let's see the guy do what's in the best interest of the dog.

^this, not only do I have no respect for owners that lose their dogs due to stupidity (leaving a gate open, not plugging holes in your backyard, forgetting them outside,etc).

But if you don't have the sense to put tags on your dog with your number/address and/or your vets information then you are clearly too stupid to own a dog. That is unless someone stole the dog but from the sounds of the article it was just another ignorant dog owner.

tirebob
01-25-2011, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

^this, not only do I have no respect for owners that lose their dogs due to stupidity (leaving a gate open, not plugging holes in your backyard, forgetting them outside,etc).

But if you don't have the sense to put tags on your dog with your number/address and/or your vets information then you are clearly too stupid to own a dog. That is unless someone stole the dog but from the sounds of the article it was just another ignorant dog owner.

Not that I don't agree dogs should have tags, but as for the vets info and all your contact info, that is exactly what the tattoo is for, so the owners did take precautions...

Besides, the dog could have been stolen, in which case the thief would remove tags. Even if this isn't the case, stupidity does not invalidate ownership. I know once me and some friends went partying and I was drunk before we left so my sober buddy drove my car. Ended up extremely hammered and we all (except my buddy who drove) ended up going to some girls house in a cab and passed out there... My buddy who went home with a different girl. Next day I couldn't remember where the car was parked (we were bar hopping) and couldn't get ahold of my buddy (no cell phones back then... Yeah I know I am old!). Took me 2 days to get ahold of my friend and couldn't find my car the whole time. So moral of the story is I was stupid and essentially lost my car, but that doesn't mean somebody else can just take it and own it, as it was registered to me, just like the dog tattoo proves the original owners claim...

LollerBrader
01-26-2011, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by clem24

It had a tag. Tattooed. In its ear.

J-hop
01-26-2011, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by tirebob

Not that I don't agree dogs should have tags, but as for the vets info and all your contact info, that is exactly what the tattoo is for, so the owners did take precautions...

Besides, the dog could have been stolen, in which case the thief would remove tags. Even if this isn't the case, stupidity does not invalidate ownership. I know once me and some friends went partying and I was drunk before we left so my sober buddy drove my car. Ended up extremely hammered and we all (except my buddy who drove) ended up going to some girls house in a cab and passed out there... My buddy who went home with a different girl. Next day I couldn't remember where the car was parked (we were bar hopping) and couldn't get ahold of my buddy (no cell phones back then... Yeah I know I am old!). Took me 2 days to get ahold of my friend and couldn't find my car the whole time. So moral of the story is I was stupid and essentially lost my car, but that doesn't mean somebody else can just take it and own it, as it was registered to me, just like the dog tattoo proves the original owners claim...

yes I did state that the situation would be different if the dog was stolen, but the article made no mention of foul play.

No just tattooing your dog does not mean you've taken proper precautions. Your dog should ALWAYS have tags on it with a way of contacting either you or your vet, a tattoo ID is mandatory (IMO) but if someone finds your dog this should be a last resort for finding the owner

A car is a completely different thing, a dog is a living thing that you need to take care of like you would a child. And soon technically you won't "own" a dog in canada you will be its guardian, so hopefully people like this can be charged for negligence.

Fact of the matter (again unless the dog was stolen- which the article makes no mention of), the owner was negligent, he doesn't deserve to have his dog back, it isn't fair to the new owners or the dog to return the dog to its original owner.

1barA4
01-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

No just tattooing your dog does not mean you've taken proper precautions. Your dog should ALWAYS have tags on it with a way of contacting either you or your vet, a tattoo ID is mandatory (IMO) but if someone finds your dog this should be a last resort for finding the owner

Breakaway collars man, dog won't get hung up on something but if it sneezes, bye bye tags.

interlude
01-26-2011, 02:09 PM
I wouldnt give it back to someone wearing a canucks t-shirt either :thumbsdow

DonJuan
01-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by interlude
I wouldnt give it back to someone wearing a canucks t-shirt either :thumbsdow

Lol zing!

No way she is 13... Somebody add her on facebook and confirm.