PDA

View Full Version : Need Brakes!

dj_patm
01-24-2011, 04:36 PM
Hey gents,
I'm in desperate need of brakes (metal on metal ftl). Don't really know where to start. I don't really want anything crazy (OEM or equivilent would be fine) but I have no idea where to start looking.

Dealer wants $400 for the OEM front rotors and pads. What other places should I try? I can't find what brakes come stock online so I don't really know what to compare with the dealer.

Also how much can I expect to pay to get them changed? Hour of labour?

Help is appreciated!

P.S. car is a '06 mazdapeed6.

CapnCrunch
01-24-2011, 04:40 PM
Do you just want someone to replace them or are you looking to buy parts and do it yourself.

lilmira
01-24-2011, 04:47 PM
I switched mine to Hawk HPS pads couple yrs ago. I had it done with a bunch of other stuff at Option Import back then. I paid less than 500 for the whole thing. I don't remember the break down but I think it was less than 300 for the brake job.

Kloubek
01-24-2011, 04:58 PM
"front brakes and pads".

What does this mean? What do you need to get done... rotors and pads? If so, that is about how much you can expect to pay for sure. Are the rotors being turned (resurfaced) or replaced? Are you getting rears done too?

My suggestion if a hundred bucks extra is a big deal to you is to go online, and look for rotors and brake pads (buying the former might come with the latter for free). Then you can ask your favorite shop how much they would charge to put them on for you. That will give you the lowest possible price, and you can decide from there.

With that said, if you are metal on metal you need to get them replaced right away, so no matter what you'll pay more to buy them locally.

dj_patm
01-24-2011, 05:17 PM
Yeah I think I need this done like this week.
I ment Rotors and Pads. I'll fix that in the OP.

I was more so wondering if I can get something better then OEM's for that price or if that seems overly high.

If not then I'll probably do that.

So I can expect to pay $500 for the whole thing roughly?

fml.

HiSpec
01-24-2011, 05:45 PM
Question to OP, most brake system in modern cars have a pad life warning system, where it'll squeal like a pig when the pads are down to a certain thickness.
Why wait till 'metal to metal' thickness?

dj_patm
01-24-2011, 06:32 PM
You see it did squeak but in never squeaked very much and even though I knew I needed to get pads, it kept slipping my mind and then eventually the squeaking went away.

Fast forward until last weekend when the grinding started and you now have someone who threw away 500 bucks.

Ah the cost of procrastination.

?????
01-25-2011, 02:46 AM
Heres your OEM part #'s:

mazdaspeed6 front brake pads - GPYA-33-23ZG
mazdaspeed6 front rotor - G31Y-33-25XA
mazdaspeed6 rear brake pads - GPYB-26-48Z and apparently you need this as well - GPYB-26-49Z
mazdaspeed6 rear rotor - G31Y-26-251

If you use those part #'s make sure they are for the correct year. Brake pads and rotors are pretty simple to replace and i'm sure someone on beyond would be able to help you out with a little compensation. I'd also recommend EBC Red Stuff pads for your car. :)