PDA

View Full Version : 1st year auto apprentice

Hot_Wheelz
01-24-2011, 10:07 PM
Hello,
wondering if any other beyond members can help. I'm looking to start my 1st year auto mechanics but I can't find a shop willing to take on a 1st year. Does anyone know of a shop in the city (preferably North end) that is looking to bring on a hard working experienced go getter?

I've pretty much wasted the past 6 months of my life at another tire and lube place waiting to start an apprenticeship, but I've been told they just want to move someone into JUST oil changes and not actually apprentice.

If anyone knows any places hiring a PM would be great.

Thank you!

swak
01-24-2011, 10:12 PM
My first job getting on as an auto apprentice was at Shaw GMC, then i moved to CMP Classic in the NE.

Both took me on with very minimal experience.

Check out the major dealers.... Just be persistant.

Hot_Wheelz
01-24-2011, 11:02 PM
My biggest issue is right now seems to be like the exact slowest time of the year for everywhere. I don't mind working for any dealership but finding one willing to take on a 1st year with their own tools seems hard.. anyone have a hook up.

AE92_TreunoSC
01-24-2011, 11:16 PM
You start as a lube tech at a dealership, you dont start as a 1st year right off the bat, you gotta pay your dues.

Once you get started you'll get buckets of hours in no time.

Just keep dropping off resumes and be persistent and optimistic.

swak
01-24-2011, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
You start as a lube tech at a dealership, you dont start as a 1st year right off the bat, you gotta pay your dues.

Once you get started you'll get buckets of hours in no time.

Just keep dropping off resumes and be persistent and optimistic.

This.

Im not in the industry anymore, but i did over a year of being the lube/tire guy (jobs noone else wants to do), and misc. cleaning duties in the shop.

Show them you're good, and you'll be training the guy to take your place in no time, and you will be signed up to start as a 1st year.

Rat Fink
01-25-2011, 07:47 AM

Hot_Wheelz
01-25-2011, 02:03 PM
My boss told me general service didn't count to your hours.. What a dick.

Iceman_19
01-25-2011, 03:00 PM
Sure it does. You were doing the same job you do on the lube rack at a dealer or in a shop, so why wouldnt it? He is probably just misinformed.

n1zm0
01-25-2011, 03:10 PM
:werd:

lube and tires first really, then those few days the foreman gives you those work orders to 'prove yourself', in between that time, you should run around and ask every licensed tech and other apprentices if they need help, learn as much has you can about certain models if youre in a dealership.

Hot_Wheelz
01-25-2011, 09:18 PM
Yea I'm not in a delarship and the techs at my shop don't let the lube guys help on jobs because they don't feel like making sure the jobs done right they just want to do it themselves. And mechanical work never goes to the tire guys ever.

Id be completely honest I'd be down with doing oil changes and shit still if mechanical work was actually going to come my way.