PDA

View Full Version : LF: Mechanic who actual wants to work

ddduke
01-24-2011, 10:25 PM
Thanks for all the help guys, ended up finding a shop to take care of it.

m10-power
01-24-2011, 10:55 PM
Have you tried Dominion Transmission?

Right by Chinook

ddduke
01-24-2011, 10:56 PM
Nope, didn't call any transmission shops, didn't think they did anything but trannys. Think they'd do this type of job?

m10-power
01-24-2011, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by ddduke
Nope, didn't call any transmission shops, didn't think they did anything but trannys. Think they'd do this type of job?

Pretty sure they would, good shop as far as transmissions go.

FraserB
01-25-2011, 12:06 AM
Talk to Jay at Chanda. (403) 287-3350

He is a straight up guy, excellent mechanic and I have never left feeling like I got ripped off.

spikerS
01-25-2011, 03:25 AM
you need the rear diff replaced? as in the whole thing as a complete unit, or the crown and pinion, or what?

If it is the whole deal with axles, it is not a hard job at all, nor are the brakes...

If you are looking to basically rebuild the whole diff, then it does become harder, but I still fail to see why you are having a hard time finding a shop to get this done...

AndyL
01-25-2011, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by FraserB

He is a straight up guy, excellent mechanic and I have never left feeling like I got ripped off.
THIS

Jay is awesome, as are his other mechanics. Can build/fix just about anything. More of a truck/offroad shop - but he's had some cool car engine swap type projects on occasion...

SOAB
01-25-2011, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by ddduke

i'm sure they'll do the work, but make sure you wash your car first. wouldn't want the mechanic getting dirty or wet.

have you talked to a dealer? doesn't hurt to just get a quote.

ddduke
01-25-2011, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by spikers
you need the rear diff replaced? as in the whole thing as a complete unit, or the crown and pinion, or what?

If it is the whole deal with axles, it is not a hard job at all, nor are the brakes...

If you are looking to basically rebuild the whole diff, then it does become harder, but I still fail to see why you are having a hard time finding a shop to get this done...

I am looking to replace the whole unit, the guts are all chewed up and from what I hear the replacement of gears and rebuilding is very labour intensive. I also heard the inside components are very expensive so I'm trying to make this as easy as possible by replacing the whole thing.

I know it's not a hard job, I would like to battle it by myself with a friend but I can't fit the truck into a garage and am not 100% confident in doing the job right.

I don't know why it's so hard to find someone either. I explain to them exactly what I've explained to you guys but can't find someone who wants the work, everyone gives me the run around and I don't understand why.

Originally posted by SOAB
have you talked to a dealer? doesn't hurt to just get a quote.

Yup, parts alone are more then what most shops quote for parts+install.

Originally posted by FraserB

Thanks man, gonna give him a buzz this morning.