PDA

View Full Version : Taco Bell "Wheres the Beef?"

ZenOps
01-25-2011, 09:41 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2011/01/25/taco-bell-beef-lawsuit332.html

Taco Bell's "meat mixture" tested and found it contained less that 35 per cent beef.

To qualify as being "beef" by the USDA, it must contain 40% beef.

I think I prefer the idea of McDonalds, and raising prices instead of using filler.

lint
01-25-2011, 09:43 AM
only need 40% beef to be called beef? WTF?

Feruk
01-25-2011, 09:49 AM
Yeah it's crazy what kind of stuff they can get away with. You know those "All Beef" or "100% Beef" hot dogs you can get? Well, it turns out that "All Beef" is a BRAND NAME and does not relate at all to the content of the hot dog.

Xtrema
01-25-2011, 09:55 AM
^ I think that's an urban legend.

Back on topic, it's fast food, you get what you pay for.

Mibz
01-25-2011, 10:12 AM
Definitely an urban legend.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/coweyes.asp

Zephyr
01-25-2011, 10:46 AM
I just want to know what the 65% is then. I guess is expected when I can get a large meal for under 4 dollars US...

n1zm0
01-25-2011, 10:49 AM
^ this is when you have to just find the mexican street vendors canteen now, just to have a 'real taste' for mexican food ( no matter how unsanitary it may seem lol). or... come to canada and have some tacotime :D

gizmodo's article is a little more revealing:

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2011/01/500x_taco-meat.jpg

Taco Bell doesn't use beef in their "beef"-based pseudo-Mexican delicacies. They use a gross thing called "Taco Meat Filling" as shown on their big container's labels—which customers can't see. The list of ingredients is gruesome:

Water, isolated oat product, salt, chili pepper, onion powder, tomato powder, oats (wheat), soy lecithin, sugar, spices, maltodextrin (a polysaccharide that is absorbed as glucose), soybean oil (anti-dusting agent), garlic powder, autolyzed yeast extract, citric acid, caramel color, cocoa powder, silicon dioxide (anti-caking agent), natural flavors, yeast, modified corn starch, natural smoke flavor, salt, sodium phosphate, less than 2% of beef broth, potassium phosphate, and potassium lactate.

Oh, and 36% beef. Thirty-six percent—plus all the above making up for the other 64% of the party in your mouth.

According to the USDA, you can't call this "beef" at all. Beef is defined as "flesh of cattle". Ground beef is defined as:

Chopped fresh and/or frozen beef with or without seasoning and without the addition of beef fat as such, shall not contain more than 30 percent fat, and shall not contain added water, phosphates, binders, or extenders.

Which is certainly nothing like what Taco Bell is using in their products. That's the reason why an Alabama law firm is presenting a lawsuit for false advertising, claiming that what Taco Bell claims is "beef" in their commercials is just the aforementioned processed clustermass of disgust. I'm not a lawyer, but it seems they have a very good point.

The fact is that the containers in which the taco mud arrives to their establishments is labeled as "taco meat filling," which is exactly how it should be labeled in all advertising and packaging according to the USDA. Of course, new Double Decker with Two Time More Taco Meat Filling doesn't sound very good.

The irony is that not even if Taco Bell used Taco Meat Filling in their packaging and ads they would be right: The USDA says that any food labeled as "meat taco filling" should at least have 40% fresh meat. According to the Alabama law firm, their stuff only has 36% meat. Perhaps they should call it Almost Taco Meat Filling.

http://gizmodo.com/5742413/this-is-what-really-hides-in-taco-bells-beef

freshprince1
01-25-2011, 11:22 AM
I love Taco Bell. Methinks it is time for a Fries Supreme and 2 Soft Taco Supremes.

Seth1968
01-25-2011, 11:24 AM
Water, isolated oat product, salt, chili pepper, onion powder, tomato powder, oats (wheat), soy lecithin, sugar, spices, maltodextrin (a polysaccharide that is absorbed as glucose), soybean oil (anti-dusting agent), garlic powder, autolyzed yeast extract, citric acid, caramel color, cocoa powder, silicon dioxide (anti-caking agent), natural flavors, yeast, modified corn starch, natural smoke flavor, salt, sodium phosphate, less than 2% of beef broth, potassium phosphate, and potassium lactate.

Most of that is ok.

100% beef might be even worse given the shit that cows are fed and injected with.

Tik-Tok
01-25-2011, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by freshprince1
I love Taco Bell. Methinks it is time for a Fries Supreme and 2 Soft Taco Supremes.

Blah. The only good thing at Taco Bell is the Volcano Crunchwrap.

Edit: I'm surprised anyone is shocked at this, I mean who the hell eats Taco Bell, and considers that meat to be real 100% beef? I'm just glad it's not made of rat, like I've always suspected.

freshprince1
01-25-2011, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968

Most of that is ok.

Agreed...they just need to call it "Taco Filling", then they're not trying to hide anything.

codetrap
01-25-2011, 11:39 AM
Or

Beef, lamb meal, potatoes, egg, sunflower oil, buffalo, lamb, venison, beef cartilage, herring oil, natural flavors, apples, carrots, tomatoes, alfalfa sprouts, garlic, cottage cheese, potassium chloride, vitamins/minerals, ascorbic acid, dried chicory root, direct-fed microbials, vitamin E supplement, lecithin, rosemary extract.
What's this above the ingredients for you ask? Naturapet Innova EVO Red Meat (Large bites)

Guaranteed analysis:
Crude Protein (min) 42 %
Crude Fat (min) 22 %
Crude Fiber (max) 2.5 %
Moisture (max) 10 %
Linoleic Acid (Omega-6 Fatty Acid) (min) 1.2 %
Carbohydrates NFE (max) 15 %
Vitamin E (min) 300 IU/kg
Vitamin C (min) 500 mg/kg
Omega-3 Fatty Acids (min) 0.4 %
Docosahexaenoic Acid (min) 0.1 %
Total Microorganisms (min) 90,000,000 CFU/lb

911fever
01-25-2011, 11:53 AM

I love Taco Bell too sooo good
i love spicy food and its cheap and always tastes good to me >.<

mr2mike
01-25-2011, 12:42 PM
Considering how much actual meat or meat filler they put in their taco's, It hardly makes a difference.

Zephyr
01-25-2011, 12:53 PM
Is it bad that this article helped me decide to eat Taco Bell for lunch today?

dirtsniffer
01-25-2011, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by codetrap

Or

What's this above the ingredients for you ask? Naturapet Innova EVO Red Meat (Large bites)

Guaranteed analysis:
Crude Protein (min) 42 %
Crude Fat (min) 22 %
Crude Fiber (max) 2.5 %
Moisture (max) 10 %

haha i wondering the same thing! LMAO

sputnik
01-25-2011, 01:09 PM

Or

Guaranteed analysis:
Crude Protein (min) 42 %
Crude Fat (min) 22 %
Crude Fiber (max) 2.5 %
Moisture (max) 10 %

Looks like the ingredient list for most protein shake mixes.

JayDoggExclusiv
01-25-2011, 01:23 PM
lol There all same shit dudes, from Macdonalds to Taco time...

its how big corporations save money

I'd highly recommend watching the documentary Food Inc. if you guys have interest in this stuff...this movie opened my eyes thats for sure..

heres trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eKYyD14d_0

pyroza
01-25-2011, 02:29 PM
Oh well, Crunchwrap Supreme FTW

1barA4
01-25-2011, 02:41 PM

I feed the kitty NOW! GRAIN-FREE...it's all local and organic ingredients, no meals or mechanically-separated tuff...I'm pretty sure she eats more real food than I do... :(

Spoons
01-25-2011, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by pyroza
Oh well, Crunchwrap Supreme FTW

Werd I love Taco Bell, but it is incredibly unhealthy so I try to eat it rarely. I could careless, as long as it tastes good.

clem24
01-25-2011, 04:46 PM

Mmmm... I love Fries Supreme. Although I was in for a shocker when I visited Taco Bell in the US a few years ago and discovered this was *not* on their menu! It's the only thing that I really like.