PDA

View Full Version : Couple questions about setting up my rig..

Skrilla
01-25-2011, 10:19 AM
Just picked up my new summer toy and have a couple questions about setting it up for a good balance of off road capability and highway use. I understand it is probably to large to do any serious work, and I don't intend on doing so. Just want something that can go in some trails, and still be ok to drive home after.

The truck I bought is a 92 Suburban 2500 4x4. My girl loves it, and it will be nice when we have our 2 dogs and a couple friends going camping and such. So far it has a rebuilt 4L80E, 2" lift (cant rem exactly) 285/75 R16 tires, 3 mode shift kit, Hi Flo exhaust with cat, K&N Intake, horton backup cooling system, 4.10 gears, electric fans...I think thats it.

It is an ex RCMP vehicle from up north. The guy put a civilian interior back in it from another suburban. Nice and clean, could use U joints, and I will probably service the diffs before I plate it.

only pic I have sorry it sucks this is how it looked when I bought it: And yes I see the SS badges, and I will be taking them off when I get a chance, was on it when i bought it.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc89/Duzzee/burb.jpg

My questions are:

-What would be an ideal lower budget tire for both on and off road use? Should I stay with that size? What other sizes would work good?

-I am looking into buying a safari type rack for the roof and was wondering if there are any recommended ones to look at? I found a sport rack at Canadian Tire...anyone have this?

-What is something I will want to change before I go off road?

EDIT: forgot a couple adds.

RedApe
02-03-2011, 10:12 PM
The Burban: the ultimate domestic Overland vehicle, as regarded by some.
Nice!

I am running the Sport Rack, with the 18" extension as well. Works great!

Tires. If you're looking to do some mild back country travel, a decent tire is where I'd start.

Gear:
recovery gear:
tow points
tow ropes (ensure rating is 3x the weight of your vehicle)
shovel
axe
spare gas cans (in your new roof rack -- hehe)

Other gear:
Spill kit (picks up diff fluid, antifreeze, oil etc)
Rope
Duct Tape
flash light
12V air compressor, or OBA (ARB or York as example)

Tools:
Valve Stem remover
Air pressure guage
keep enough tools on hand to handle most 'common tasks'.
This could include a socket large enough to remove axle bearing nut to allow Ujoint replacement...and a breaker bar.

Parts:
Ujoints, fuses, fluids, full sized spare (great up on the roof rack) etc

Safety:
First Aide kit
CB Radio
S.P.O.T. (these are uber kewl)

Provisions:
non perishable foods
water

Clothing:
pack for 4 seasons, always.
Gloves (both warmth, and safety)
High quality, light weight hiking boots (should be able to feel pedals through the boot)

There. Now yer set. Having a properly outfitted vehicle is my number one recommendation. :D