PDA

View Full Version : Buying a make of vehicle from a different dealer.

schurchill39
01-25-2011, 01:32 PM
I'm in the market for a new-to-me vehicle and I was wondering what your guys' opinion was on buying a make of a vehicle from a completely different dealership. Ie buying a Honda Civic from a GMC dealership or a Dodge Ram from a Honda dealership?

When I got hit earlier this winter the autobody shop owner had mentioned that in his personal experience you should only buy a Ford at a Ford dealership, Toyota at a Toyota dealership etc.

The reason I ask is that I'm looking at spending 15-20g on a newer vehicle and I'm finding a few Ram's I like at random dealerships around town.

ddduke
01-25-2011, 03:12 PM
Very good chance they were just traded in. I wouldn't be too worried.

But be smart before you buy the vehicle. You can always get it inspected by a 3rd party mechanic that you trust

mikey_p
01-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Very Very good chance actually. Most people trade in vehicle they are done with or dont like.. for example a DODGE product at our dealer could have been because a poor salesman at Dodge or bad trade in value.. Possibly service made them mad and they switched dealerships. People trade in cars for different reasons.. I would buy a miss matched car from a different dealer as long as its been serviced correctly and inspected. Lots of times dealers want to get rid of other makes so it's not on the lot... Try to look for something with remaining warranty on it.. Or just come see us.. lol.. :banghead: hope that helps..

2002civic
01-25-2011, 04:11 PM
Just make sure you get an inspection from a mechanic at another facility (such as the brand of vehicle your looking at) and you should be ok. Don't trust their inspection form because 90% of the time we see a car from another dealer the inspection form tends to err on the side of everything being ok when it isn't.

dropdat
01-25-2011, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by 2002civic
Don't trust their inspection form because 90% of the time we see a car from another dealer the inspection form tends to err on the side of everything being ok when it isn't.

Definitely agree with this. Was talking to a mechanic recently who told me if the vehicle is 08 or newer he just marks that everything is fine besides the super obvious things like windshield.

94boosted
01-25-2011, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by 2002civic
Don't trust their inspection form because 90% of the time we see a car from another dealer the inspection form tends to err on the side of everything being ok when it isn't.

:werd:

Originally posted by dropdat

Definitely agree with this. Was talking to a mechanic recently who told me if the vehicle is 08 or newer he just marks that everything is fine besides the super obvious things like windshield.

What's this mechanics name, I want to know so that I never use him.

Zero102
01-25-2011, 05:23 PM
I have traded in a couple of 1-2 year old vehicles at other-brand dealerships (chrysler at hyundai, etc.) and every time their response has been the same, that they will either sell my car to a dealership of that brand if they can convince one of the used car sales managers at a local dealership to do this, or they will send it to auction. When I asked where they do source the used off-brand vehicles they are selling I have always been told they were all bought at auctions for really good prices so the dealership took a gamble on bringing them in. :dunno:

No_Cash
01-25-2011, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by mikey_p
Very Very good chance actually. Most people trade in vehicle they are done with or dont like.. for example a DODGE product at our dealer could have been because a poor salesman at Dodge or bad trade in value.. Possibly service made them mad and they switched dealerships. People trade in cars for different reasons.. I would buy a miss matched car from a different dealer as long as its been serviced correctly and inspected. Lots of times dealers want to get rid of other makes so it's not on the lot... Try to look for something with remaining warranty on it.. Or just come see us.. lol.. :banghead: hope that helps..

I traded my Dodge in for all of those reasons, shitty service, shitty salesguy, no value....