PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get your Grass Fed Organic Beef?

Toma
01-25-2011, 03:48 PM
Just curious... I bought some excellent rib eye from the Kingsland farmers market, it was $45/kg, but even though organic, and they grow their own feed (grass and grain), they could not guarantee it was grass fed, and I think they said most of it was "grass finished", but grains are used, especially in the winter (but again, they grow it themselves)

I hear TK Farms sells nice organic grass fed product, but they are far away, and Community Foods selles their stuff, but as with anything there, I imagine its EXPENSIVE. Ill check that out.

Then, I found white creek meats, and they advertise Turkey. pork, beef, and even real farm fresh eggs in spring/summer. Their beef is $6 a pound if you buy a quarter animal (roughly $450), and they deliver it portioned with various cuts, ground beef etc frozen and vacuum packed to your door.

Any other good places you've found stuff?

Anyone know how the Huterites do it, and where to find them?

theken
01-25-2011, 04:35 PM
Most alberta beef is grass fed toma. I am also curios on the huts though

dannie
01-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Blush Lane carries this product:

http://www.sunworksfarm.com/?page_id=7

The meats I have had from them are quite good

jdmXSI
01-25-2011, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by dannie
Blush Lane carries this product:

http://www.sunworksfarm.com/?page_id=7

The meats I have had from them are quite good

I cant wait until the new Farmers market opens up for that reason. Every week i buy a few chicken breasts and thier Italian sausage. You can really notice a differnce!

dannie
01-25-2011, 05:14 PM
^ Me too. It's much closer to my house :) Yay!

I noticed on their site that they are supplying meat to a couple other stores in Calgary. So, aside from going ALLL the way to Aspen, there may be one closer to you.

wintonyk
01-25-2011, 05:15 PM
IIRC all the beef from Sunterra is grass fed.

adidas
01-25-2011, 07:14 PM
The family usually orders some vegetables with some co-workers from huterites, fairly decently priced and taste unlike anything we have ate before.

Recently when i asked them about the chicken, they said a minimum order of 1000 whole chickens.

If anyone finds someone that does smaller orders let me know.

sputnik
01-25-2011, 07:25 PM
Beef
http://www.hovenfarms.com/

Chicken
http://www.bowdenfarmfreshchicken.com/

WAY cheaper than Blush Lane.

sputnik
01-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by theken
Most alberta beef is grass fed toma. I am also curios on the huts though

Hardly.

Most of the cattle is grass fed at the beginning, but the vast majority still spend a considerable amount of time at a feed lot prior to slaughter.

TYMSMNY
01-25-2011, 08:07 PM

You can buy it at the Currie Barracks Famers Market or the new Kingsland Famers Market.

Excellent whole tenderloins you can buy and chop it up yourself.

adidas
01-25-2011, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Chicken
http://www.bowdenfarmfreshchicken.com/

WAY cheaper than Blush Lane.

These guys ever at a market in Calgary? Their site aint up to date.

Toma
01-25-2011, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY

You can buy it at the Currie Barracks Famers Market or the new Kingsland Famers Market.

Excellent whole tenderloins you can buy and chop it up yourself.
Yeah, that's the place that I was talking about that I bought the ribeye.

It's unfortunately not all grass fed, some of it is grass finished, not in the winter though.... in the winter you start getting the grain fed stuff, although again, the grain is grown by them.

sputnik
01-26-2011, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by adidas

These guys ever at a market in Calgary? Their site aint up to date.

Better. They deliver for free with a minimum order.

JRSC00LUDE
01-26-2011, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Toma

Yeah, that's the place that I was talking about that I bought the ribeye.

It's unfortunately not all grass fed, some of it is grass finished, not in the winter though.... in the winter you start getting the grain fed stuff, although again, the grain is grown by them.

Why do you prefer grass fed beef over grain fed? Just asking out of curiousity....

Everlast
01-26-2011, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Why do you prefer grass fed beef over grain fed? Just asking out of curiousity....

Better marbling and better omega 3 to omega 6 fat content assume.

Toma
01-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

It's not just grain versus grass, but pesticides, antibiotics, and hormones for weight gain.

These supposedly have high levels of Estrogen's, lower quality fat content, and more inter muscular fat.

Apparently environmental estrogen and estrogen mimicking compounds (xenoestrogens) are what they claim is responsible for early onset puberty in girls.... they estimate that the number of girls in North America that has started puberty by age SEVEN has double since 1997!!

As a strapping young MAN, I don't want to be feminized ;)

sputnik
01-26-2011, 11:13 AM

It's not just grain versus grass, but pesticides, antibiotics, and hormones for weight gain.

These supposedly have high levels of Estrogen's, lower quality fat content, and more inter muscular fat.

Apparently environmental estrogen and estrogen mimicking compounds (xenoestrogens) are what they claim is responsible for early onset puberty in girls.... they estimate that the number of girls in North America that has started puberty by age SEVEN has double since 1997!!

As a strapping young MAN, I don't want to be feminized ;)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3470/3704707435_24f426aa17.jpg

rage2
01-26-2011, 11:22 AM
corn fed beef FTW.

Everlast
01-26-2011, 11:24 AM
Normally I think Toma is crazy too but he's right regarding the link between corn fed beef and xenoestrogens

theken
01-26-2011, 01:02 PM
Corn fed meat is fucking gross. I dislike american beef. Cows aren't designed to eat corn

ronrey
01-26-2011, 01:17 PM
Corn fed meat is fucking gross. I dislike american beef. Cows aren't designed to eat corn

Really? Don't kid yourself almost all of the feedlots in Southern Alberta are feeding Corn in their feed rations right now.....

You have probably been eating corn fed beef and didn't even know it. LOL

Unknown303
01-26-2011, 01:46 PM
I get it from my inlaws. BC pure bred black angus :drool: :drool: :drool:.

They grow everything that they feed the cattle.

rage2
01-27-2011, 09:03 AM
Don't really care what cows are "designed" to eat. Corn fed beef is has more marbling, is more tender, and tastes slightly sweeter. Works for me.

mazdavirgin
01-27-2011, 11:04 AM
As someone who has been raised with cattle ranching and farming the idea of organic anything is laughable. I just roll my eyes at the people paying a premium for something that is not nearly as "organic" as they think.

ronrey
01-27-2011, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin
As someone who has been raised with cattle ranching and farming the idea of organic anything is laughable. I just roll my eyes at the people paying a premium for something that is not nearly as "organic" as they think.

I guess it depends on your definition of true organic. Alot of producers raise their beef with organic feed,and without implants, ivomec, etc..... That to me is organic beef.

Toma
01-27-2011, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by ronrey

I guess it depends on your definition of true organic. Alot of producers raise their beef with organic feed,and without implants, ivomec, etc..... That to me is organic beef.
Yep, and to pass "organic certification", you cannot have sprayed your fields with pesticides etc for at least 3 years if I recall correctly.

Some Organic Alberta producers have not used chemicals or pesticides/herbicides for over 10years.

I don't remember the name, but 2 years ago I bought a half cow from a friend of the family that got into raising 'organic' beef after being a herbicide/pesticide distributor for 20 years. "I don't want my family easting that shit" is what he said.

ronrey
01-27-2011, 11:37 AM

Yep, and to pass "organic certification", you cannot have sprayed your fields with pesticides etc for at least 3 years if I recall correctly.

Some Organic Alberta producers have not used chemicals or pesticides/herbicides for over 10years.

I don't remember the name, but 2 years ago I bought a half cow from a friend of the family that got into raising 'organic' beef after being a herbicide/pesticide distributor for 20 years. "I don't want my family easting that shit" is what he said.

To each their own.... I don't believe that pesticides are bad. If we didn't have them the world would starve. There is already food rationing taking place in Africa and a few other countries. We can grow more people but we cannot grow more land. If we went organic you can kiss at least 3/4 of your production good bye.

Darkane
01-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Toma sometime last year I bought 40lbs of extra lean ground beef from the Farmers Market in the barracks.

I'm having troubles recalling the name of the farm, but it was 100% grassfed, or so they said. They had separate boxes for Corn and grass.

They had a special running - $4/lb - so it was reasonable.

mazdavirgin
01-27-2011, 11:42 AM

Wrong all you have to do is use "organic" pesticides. Organic is a scam. All it means is what you put into the field is naturally occurring. So yeah you could spray your field with arsenic or mercury and you would still be "organic" :rofl: Same goes with fertilizer anything you can mine from the ground is "organic"...

flipstah
01-27-2011, 12:19 PM

What's a farmer's definition of 'organic' meat? I would like to know as I honestly do not know what 'organic' means in food, hence I don't buy it.

The Asian in me kicks in when I see the little extra $/kg for 'organic' :rofl:

Toma
01-27-2011, 02:52 PM

Wrong all you have to do is use "organic" pesticides. Organic is a scam. All it means is what you put into the field is naturally occurring. So yeah you could spray your field with arsenic or mercury and you would still be "organic" :rofl: Same goes with fertilizer anything you can mine from the ground is "organic"...
Well that's plain BS....

Under the Canadian Organic Standards, there is a clearly listed set of approved substances, the list is called the "Permitted Substances List", and I called my buddy, and no, Aresenic is not on there. :dunno:

mazdavirgin
01-27-2011, 04:42 PM

Well that's plain BS....

Under the Canadian Organic Standards, there is a clearly listed set of approved substances, the list is called the "Permitted Substances List", and I called my buddy, and no, Aresenic is not on there. :dunno:

:facepalm: Arsenic is an example of a toxic substance that is "organic" it doesn't matter that it doesn't have any use as a pesticide well other than dealing with household mice... You want a list of those so called friendly organic pesticides?

Sulphur, Pyrethrin, Lime Sulphur, Ferric Phosphate, Diatomaceous Earth, Boric Acid, etc...

Would you like to eat any of these organic compounds with your food?

rage2
01-27-2011, 04:47 PM
:facepalm: Arsenic is an example of a toxic substance that is "organic" it doesn't matter that it doesn't have any use as a pesticide well other than dealing with household mice... You want a list of those so called friendly organic pesticides?

Sulphur, Pyrethrin, Lime Sulphur, Ferric Phosphate, Diatomaceous Earth, Boric Acid, etc...

haha that's pretty funny. There's a lot of shit in there that's definately not "organic". :rofl:

http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/cgsb/on_the_net/organic/032_0311_2006-e_Amended%20Oct%202008%20and%20Dec%202009.pdf

Toma
01-27-2011, 06:00 PM

LOL.... You said something STUPID, so I was being silly... :poosie:

Your claim? As long as it's organic, it's ok.... then you gave your demented examples.

Now fuck off.... I want grass fed organic beef, and don't care about your input on its merits.

wintonyk
01-27-2011, 06:28 PM
Here is a bit more info on grassfed/organic beef

beef (http://www.healthcastle.com/organic-grassfed-beef.shtml)

mazdavirgin
01-27-2011, 07:14 PM

LOL.... You said something STUPID, so I was being silly... :poosie:

Your claim? As long as it's organic, it's ok.... then you gave your demented examples.

Now fuck off.... I want grass fed organic beef, and don't care about your input on its merits.

No it's your claim that as long as it is organic it is "healthy" I dare you to try to consume any of those organic pesticides. You would die from ingesting them but since they are found in nature I guess they are safe to eat and consume right? Again organic is a big gigantic scam.