PDA

View Full Version : Nioxin: Cheap place to buy

desi112
01-26-2011, 11:18 AM
Hey all,

I'm pretty sure I have started balding from the crown, I started using rogian about two months ago and noticed it has not gotten worse.

Would any one here reccomend Nioxin?

And the cheapest place to buy it.

THank you,

Desi112

Neil4Speed
01-26-2011, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by desi112

And the cheapest place to buy it.

THank you,

Desi112

:rofl:

Green Apple on the Ground Floor of TD is the cheapest for all hair products I have purchased. Check it out there.

Nioxin is also sold at Winners.

desi112
01-26-2011, 11:24 AM
you like the desi huh ;)

ddduke
01-26-2011, 11:27 AM
If you know a hair stylist you can get it at any distributors for $35 for the set of both shampoo and conditioner.

desi112
01-26-2011, 11:29 AM
hmmm..i will c if any of my friends are hairstylists thanks!

have you used it? reviews?

teknical
01-26-2011, 11:47 AM
I tried Rogain and it didn't work at all, it actually made things worse in my case.

I've been taking Finasteride (Propecia, Proscar) for almost a year now, and so far it's been working very well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finasteride

Tik-Tok
01-26-2011, 12:09 PM
hmmm..i will c if any of my friends are hairstylists thanks!

have you used it? reviews?

You can get it for fairly cheap from any Salon/Product store, usually $35-$40 for the pair.

I use it, and noticed a dramatic decrease of hair falling out after I started. You'll still go bald, this will just decrease the speed in which you will.

Get a prescription for Propecia/Finestra. Only 5% of people find a significant increase, but hey, you could be one of them, and the generic brand is pretty cheap. Cheaper than Nioxin.

desi112
01-26-2011, 12:25 PM
finastride does definatly cause limp dick

Tik-Tok
01-26-2011, 12:28 PM

1.2%

What would suck is if your in the 5% that grows shitloads of hair back, but also in the 1.2% that has a limp dick :rofl:

desi112
01-26-2011, 12:37 PM
just 1.2 eh?? i'll check it out when i'm mid-30s 40s.

Rogain has definatly put a halt to loss, I want recovery, thats why I thought of Nioxin.

Xtrema
01-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Reducing stress level worked for me.

U are screwed if it's genetics.

teknical
01-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

1.2%

What would suck is if your in the 5% that grows shitloads of hair back, but also in the 1.2% that has a limp dick :rofl:

Friend of my dads is in this small percentage. He was completely bald, and has been taking Finasteride for years now. His head is basically full of hair again, but he's gone impotent (he's in his 50s)

I'm 25 and have the 5mg pills. I cut them into quarters and take a piece every morning. So far it's stopped hair loss, and a toonie sized bald spot on the back of my head has filled in.

desi112
01-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by teknical

Friend of my dads is in this small percentage. He was completely bald, and has been taking Finasteride for years now. His head is basically full of hair again, but he's gone impotent (he's in his 50s)

I'm 25 and have the 5mg pills. I cut them into quarters and take a piece every morning. So far it's stopped hair loss, and a toonie sized bald spot on the back of my head has filled in.

yes i have the same type of balding small spot spreading over the back of head, does'nt seem to have gotten worse over the past year tho.

Tik-Tok
01-26-2011, 01:48 PM

I just started myself, same dose, I'm getting pretty bald in the back though, and receding upfront quite a bit too. I may have a better chance than some, because my hair used to be über thick. Not density, individual hairs were thick, which is what finasteride does, re-thickens the follicle output.

JRSC00LUDE
01-26-2011, 01:55 PM

I'd rather have sex than have hair.

Mind you, I've shaved my head voluntarily for 8 or 9 years so.....

teknical
01-26-2011, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

I'd rather have sex than have hair.

Mind you, I've shaved my head voluntarily for 8 or 9 years so.....

I have noticed a drop in my sex drive, but that could just be me personally :dunno:

But I've got no problems rising to the occasion ;) *knock on wood*

Toma
01-26-2011, 02:46 PM
Just a heads up....

Saw Palmeto

It's cheap and natural and blocks conversion of testosterone into DHT.... clinical studies way back when showed it was AS effective as prescription meds.

If you are the typical ball shaped bald guy (think Seinfeld - George), you do not have a testosterone problem, you have an insulin imbalance problem. Eat better, stabilize blood sugar.

desi112
02-16-2012, 03:13 PM
fuck nioxin did NOT WORK. i think i'm a little worse offf..but can say i started using nizarol that stuff does work!

masoncgy
02-16-2012, 10:56 PM
Just shave your head.... you're only fooling yourself... lol.

I fought the battle for several years given the fact I started losing my hair at 17. By the time I was 24, there just wasn't any point in continuing the fight.

Shave it off. No stress. No worries.

Tik-Tok
02-16-2012, 11:16 PM
fuck nioxin did NOT WORK. i think i'm a little worse offf..but can say i started using nizarol that stuff does work!

What did you think Nioxin was going to do? Of course you'll be "worse off" it doesn't grow hair back, just slows down the process. You'll lose it no matter what.

A790
02-16-2012, 11:46 PM
I've been taking finesteride for 1.5 years.

Sex has never been an issue :)

turbotrip
02-17-2012, 12:12 AM
fuck nioxin did NOT WORK.but can say i started using nizarol that stuff does work!
What makes u say nizarol worked? Isn't that dandruff shampoo

Another popular one u guys might wanna try is american crew hair loss shampoo

Neil4Speed
02-17-2012, 09:02 AM
I was never full out balding, but Nioxin worked quite well in terms of retention for me. I would use it even if I had a great head of hair as the product works well simply as a shampoo and conditioner.

bigbadboss101
02-20-2012, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by turbotrip

What makes u say nizarol worked? Isn't that dandruff shampoo

Another popular one u guys might wanna try is american crew hair loss shampoo

I believe people can lose hair due to dermatitis.

desi112
05-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Nothings working, and its rapidly gotten worse since my last post.

FUCK me.

Tik-Tok
05-03-2012, 08:54 AM

FUCK me.

Time to shave.

civic_stylez
05-03-2012, 09:22 AM
In alot of the fitness magazines i read alot of the articles state that the active ingredient in dandruff shampoo (pyrithirone zinc) can dramtically slow and in some cases regrow hair. Head and Shoulders Hair Endurance for Men is supposed to be really good for a non prescription shampoo.

Standing under really hot showers for long periods of time, how you actually wash your hair and rough towel drying can really affect hair loss as well.

(ive dated alot of hair stylists ):D

Neil4Speed
05-03-2012, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by civic_stylez

Standing under really hot showers for long periods of time, how you actually wash your hair and rough towel drying can really affect hair loss as well.

This definitely does make sense. Also, I don't know why on earth people scrub their head with a towel after jumping out of a shower, its not even effective for drying. You want to blotch your hair to get the water out of it. Works way better.

littledan
05-03-2012, 10:38 AM
^^^ rubbing your head with a towel is not going to cause male pattern baldness. you can get nioxin at chatters for $50 for the pair.

i've found that nioxin does help with retention and making your hair look fuller. use nizoral twice a week to slow conversion of test to DHT.

Neil4Speed
05-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by littledan
^^^ rubbing your head with a towel is not going to cause male pattern baldness.

It won't "cause" MPB, but will increase the rate of hair loss if you are susceptible MPB to it.

OriginalGoods
05-03-2012, 02:41 PM
What is finastride and where do you get it ?

A790
05-03-2012, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by OriginalGoods
What is finastride and where do you get it ?
See Dr. Gillespie at the Gillespie hair clinic. He'll give you a consult and likely prescribe it for you.

desi112
05-04-2012, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by A790

See Dr. Gillespie at the Gillespie hair clinic. He'll give you a consult and likely prescribe it for you.
Is he covered by health care?

Tik-Tok
05-04-2012, 08:38 AM

Is he covered by health care?

The consultation is covered under AB health. The prescription is not. (Although my previous benefits covered it, my current one doesn't)

potatopineapple
05-15-2012, 11:18 PM
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/teqju/

Apparently there are alot more side effects and they happen to alot more people than previously reported. There's thousands of people in multiple countries including Canada launching class action lawsuits against the makers.

Alot of people have experienced permanent side effects even after discontinuing use, as well as those who've gradually experienced them after years of trouble free use.

...That being said, it really does work for most people, just a matter if it's worth it or not.

A790
05-16-2012, 09:51 AM
Yea...

I have some interesting comments as well. I went off Propecia two weeks ago. I don't have the symptoms described in the links above, but I have noticed an overall improvement in my health since I stopped taking it.

I wouldn't go on it again.

Graham_A_M
06-02-2012, 02:39 PM

FUCK me.

Did you try that Seagals stuff you PM'ed me about?

Tik-Tok
06-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by potatopineapple
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/teqju/

Apparently there are alot more side effects and they happen to alot more people than previously reported. There's thousands of people in multiple countries including Canada launching class action lawsuits against the makers.

Alot of people have experienced permanent side effects even after discontinuing use, as well as those who've gradually experienced them after years of trouble free use.

...That being said, it really does work for most people, just a matter if it's worth it or not.

Great, now I'm nervous to go off of it, lol. I haven't experienced any side affects after 17 months of use, but I haven't regrown any hair either, so I was planning on stopping soon.

I wonder if it'd be better to go off gradually... instead of 1mg a day, 1 mg every 2 days, then 4, etc.

Impreza
06-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Have you considered hair transplant surgery? My coworker did it and it looks pretty natural.

A790
06-06-2012, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Great, now I'm nervous to go off of it, lol. I haven't experienced any side affects after 17 months of use, but I haven't regrown any hair either, so I was planning on stopping soon.

I wonder if it'd be better to go off gradually... instead of 1mg a day, 1 mg every 2 days, then 4, etc.
I've been off for a month with no issues really to report.

It's a *very* small percentage that experience PFS...

ddduke
06-13-2012, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

It won't "cause" MPB, but will increase the rate of hair loss if you are susceptible MPB to it.

Do you have a source for this? I have 3 stylists sitting next to me from one of calgary's top salons and all 3 say that's bs.

A790
06-14-2012, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by ddduke

Do you have a source for this? I have 3 stylists sitting next to me from one of calgary's top salons and all 3 say that's bs.
Stylists are not doctors. Hell, most doctors aren't in the loop regarding hair loss.

However, I don't know whether or not his statement is correct. I've heard many things from stylists, however, and many of them weren't accurate.

Tik-Tok
06-14-2012, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by A790

Stylists are not doctors. Hell, most doctors aren't in the loop regarding hair loss.

However, I don't know whether or not his statement is correct. I've heard many things from stylists, however, and many of them weren't accurate.

I'm not saying stylists are dumb... but there's a lot of them out there, and they love (unknowingly) spreading false info. The shit I hear from my sister-in-law is hilarious.

Neil4Speed
06-14-2012, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by ddduke

Nothing in terms of a Peer-Reviewed scientific study. I have a family-friend who is a doctor (I believe a derm) with experience in Trichology and he told me of this.

This does make logical sense though doesn't it? If your follicles/hair is weak, obviously rough trashing with a towel is going to accelerate it.

Not to say that Wikihow is the most credible source. But:

"Avoid rubbing hair vigorously with a towel after washing it. This can also lead to hair breakage. Pat it dry gently instead."

Also, rubbing your head vigorously with a towel is a pretty dumb way to dry it IMO. I find it far more effective to splotch it with a towel so your towel can actually pick up the moisture.

Has anyone here considered Laser Treatment? I had a friend who did it when he was about 18-19 and it was quite effective.

I'm not balding but just have generally fine hair (and have since I was a kid), I have noticed some pretty good improvements using Nioxin and a Biotin Supplement (from Iherb)

elite
03-24-2015, 07:47 PM
bump..

did you end up trying finasteride pills (proscar) for hair regrowth? Has it worked?

Tik-Tok
03-24-2015, 07:49 PM
Tried out for 18 months, and no change.

calgary350z
04-08-2015, 10:56 PM
proscar is more for maintenance and generally rogaine is more for regrowth.

I have recently had a transplant and have spent a lot of time and money in the hairloss fight so i can speak from experience.

Honesty for the most part a transplant is the only way to truly get your hair back

I tried many things over the years and this was the only real thing that actually made a large difference.

I take both for maintenance of my transplant

calgary350z
04-08-2015, 11:02 PM
this is by far the best deal i could find on real rogaine in the 5% foam which seem to be the most effective and easiest to use

http://www.minoxidildirect.com/Mens_Rogaine.htm

G-ZUS
04-09-2015, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by calgary350z
proscar is more for maintenance and generally rogaine is more for regrowth.

I have recently had a transplant and have spent a lot of time and money in the hairloss fight so i can speak from experience.

Honesty for the most part a transplant is the only way to truly get your hair back

I tried many things over the years and this was the only real thing that actually made a large difference.

I take both for maintenance of my transplant

Do you need to take them to maintain the transplant? Have any of you guys noticed any side effects from the proscar?

calgary350z
04-09-2015, 02:22 PM
My surgeon recommends Rogaine for the first year to kickstart the grafts but you don't have to keep it up after that.

I would rather be safe and take both to slow down any further loss.

Hairloss is never fully stoppable but this stuff helps for sure. I have never experienced any sides but i take 1/8th of a pill a day only as it still helps a lot at that dose.

If you try it you can stop if you experience any sides. For the most part the majority of people who do experience them stop and everything goes back to normal after.

Dertz
05-28-2015, 09:13 PM
I feel my hair thinning out lately is because of stress. Gonna try the rogaine

roll_over
07-08-2015, 03:23 PM
Thanks Calgary350z for the link. Dertz I think Rogaine only works on a small part of your head
http://www.hair-genesis.com/images-2/norwood_avacor_minoxidil.gif

calgary350z
07-15-2015, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by roll_over
Thanks Calgary350z for the link. Dertz I think Rogaine only works on a small part of your head
http://www.hair-genesis.com/images-2/norwood_avacor_minoxidil.gif

Your very welcome and if you want a highly rated shampoo that came recommended by my surgeon try this stuff. My hair loves it and is great for both hairloss shedding wise and overall hair health due to its quality ingredients. The NT is used daily and the DR is every 3-5 days for going deeper in the scalp. It breaks up DHT deposits but is a bit harsher so you don't want to use it daily.

this is the best site to buy it. I use the NT, DR and the conditioner

http://www.flatironexperts.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=regenepure

InRich
07-15-2015, 11:07 PM
Costco has Nioxin for 39.99 thats for the set btw.
I can get it for you next time I'm there if you dont have membership. Ive been using it for over 15 years btw

All my cousins are bald or heavily balding
My Dads bald
My uncles bald
My younger brother is bald, hes 3 years younger then me
My moms dad lost all his hair when he was 20.

I got a full head of hair. thank god.

elite
08-01-2015, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by InRich
Costco has Nioxin for 39.99 thats for the set btw.
I can get it for you next time I'm there if you dont have membership. Ive been using it for over 15 years btw

All my cousins are bald or heavily balding
My Dads bald
My uncles bald
My younger brother is bald, hes 3 years younger then me
My moms dad lost all his hair when he was 20.

I got a full head of hair. thank god.

I hear there's a new formula that doesn't really work? (based on reviews on amazon)

roll_over
08-01-2015, 07:13 PM
So I did place an order and shipping took alittle over a week.

403Gemini
08-01-2015, 11:47 PM
I'll start with my hair is more thinning out, not necessarily falling out to the point of my hairline receding

So here's the deal with Nioxin,

It's representatives/salesmen go to salons and schools touting they guarantee sustaining your hair, thickening it, or in some cases causing it to regrow. The problem is, there is no actual medical or scientific evidence it does it at all. So if a person at a salon is claiming it can do it all, they are just educated by the Nioxin rep. I used it for a year and a half and didn't notice any results (mixing Nizoral every 3rd day or so vs the conditioner)

I ended up switching to this routine for the last year:

Daily I would shampoo with this: https://www.hairlosstalk.com/shop/product-shelves/regenepure-hair-loss-treatment-shelf/regenepure-nt-shampoo.html

Every 3rd day I would use this as a conditioner/ after the regenepure nt (1st link) https://www.hairlosstalk.com/shop/anti-inflammatory/regenepure-dr-shampoo.html

Then I'd apply rogaine after drying off: https://www.hairlosstalk.com/shop/growth-stimulants/rogaine-foam.html

Then I'd apply S5 creme since it is one of the more affordable propecia topical creams vs taking supplements which I heard could fuck with your hormones.

After a year of doing that routine - my head would get EXTREMELY itchy when in the sun or working out / sweating. To the point it was nearly unbearable - I also noticed NO gains.

I also noticed this summer I have had a HUGELY dry scalp, even though the two shampoos claim to hydrate the head.

About a month ago I cut out the Rogaine & the S5 cream and said fuck it. I couldn't take it any more. My scalp is still dryer/flakier than normal but it's returning, but the irritation of the rogaine / s5 cream is entirely gone. I'm at the point now of just accepting it and just using the two shampoos above (https://www.hairlosstalk.com/shop/product-shelves/regenepure-hair-loss-treatment-shelf/regenepure-nt-shampoo.html & https://www.hairlosstalk.com/shop/anti-inflammatory/regenepure-dr-shampoo.html ). Since I quit the rogaine and S5 I haven't noticed any continual loss or anything. Nothing "recessed" back and my hair isn't falling out.

For those that have done it, how does hair implants/plugs work? How much does it cost? Do you continue taking pills/cream after? And if so, for how long? (I'd rather do something to just fix the problem then carry on with treatments that just seem like placebos and aren't really doing anything)