PDA

View Full Version : New Workout thoughts?

scboss
01-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Well ive been really interested in gaining some good strength with muscle endurance. The 5x5 program is something I wanted to take on but I want to stay lean and have good agility. Ive been messing around with a program for the last 3 weeks and its pretty intense. For the first 2 weeks i was doing everything minimum 12 reps to make sure I could handle it and now im switching to how it is below.

/ = super-set
Day 1
Back Squats (5x5)
Stiff legged Deadlifts (5x5)
Weighted Step ups (5x5)
Side to side jumps (5xMax)
Seated Calve Raises (5x5)
Day 2
Weighted Wide grip pull ups (5x5) / Side to Side Push-ups (5xMax)
Incline Flys (5x5)/ V grip row (5x5)/ Standing Shoulder press (5x5)
Cable lat pushdown (5x5)/ Should Shrugs (5x5)/ Decline push-ups (5xMax)
Hammer curl (5x5) /Skull Crusher (5x5)
Day 3
Front Squats (5x5)
Sumo Deadlifts (5x5)
Weighted Lunges (5x5)
Side to side jumps (5xMax)
Standing Calve Raises (5x5)
Day 4
V-grip Pull downs (5x5)/ Depth Push-ups (5xMax)
Incline Dumbbell Press (5x5)/ Wide grip rows (5x5)/ Dumbbell Snatch(5x5)
Side Raises (5x5)/ Dumbbell Pullover (5x5)/ Cable Crossovers (5x5)
Reverse curls (5x5)/ Tricep Pulldown (5x5)

Ive been taking 30 sec breaks in between sets and my workouts are around one and a half hrs with a warm up, cool down and 10 minutes of stretching.
My main goals are to get power in my legs and strength/endurance in my upper body. Thoughts?

scboss
01-26-2011, 09:10 PM
Btw ive already felt a huge difference while sparring and grappling with my friends when it comes to getting tired and ive dropped 5 pounds without cutting out carbs or changing my diet.

The main concern i have is injury but ive been trying to improve my flexibility in my hamstrings to avoid any more lower back injuries like I had last year.

Goodfella
01-26-2011, 10:20 PM
You can only effectively focus one, strength or endurance? By the way that your plan looks I take it you desire to gain strength. Well thats good for you, just ensure that you leave more rest time between some of those sets to get the most out of your reps. 30 sec breaks and supersets are leaning more towards endurance building and cutting down hence your 5lbs loss. Try rearranging things a bit and I gurantee it will be more effective.

scboss
01-26-2011, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Goodfella
You can only effectively focus one, strength or endurance? By the way that your plan looks I take it you desire to gain strength. Well thats good for you, just ensure that you leave more rest time between some of those sets to get the most out of your reps. 30 sec breaks and supersets are leaning more towards endurance building and cutting down hence your 5lbs loss. Try rearranging things a bit and I gurantee it will be more effective.

I do want to gain a bit of strength in my upper body but mostly endurance. Where my lower body i want power and strength. Since I started this I barely ever gas when im in guard and my opponent is trying to pass, before just trying to prevent them from passing and trying to get wrist control would gas me after about 3 - 4 minutes.

Strength for me is important but mostly only for 2 lifts which are deadlift and squat, for everything else i want to be strong but also be able to keep going with heavy weight without getting gassed.

Do you think this might be a overload on my joints even if I have perfect form?

So far ive worked out monday tuesday thursday friday so I have 3 rest days.

I know what you mean by having longer breaks but for where I want to be I have to keep my heart rate high throughout the workout.

Toma
01-26-2011, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Goodfella
He is going for "strength endurance"....

something that is hard to get, and is achieved through high intensity training and short rest.

His limited rest time, and number of sets etc will not improve strength efficiently, but will train his body to metabolize lactic acid at a higher rate, and use fat as energy to sustain long duration workouts....

Or, he will overtrain, overproduce cortisol and other stress hormones and eat away his muscles....

Will be interesting. :thumbsup:

scboss
01-26-2011, 11:10 PM
Yeah im going to have to ask my teacher tomorrow, it might be a bit much. Im thinking i should be doing 5x5 for my main exercises then 5x3 for the others.

So far my body is handling it well by going 12 x 3 and ive been improving alot. The first couple days I was ready to puke at the end of the first couple sets but now I get through the workout pretty easily.
Maybe it would be more beneficial like this?
Day 1 legs
Back Squats (5x5)
Weighted Step ups (5x3) per leg
Side to side jumps (3xMax)
Seated Calve Raises (5x3)
Day 2
Weighted Wide grip pull ups (5x5) / Side to Side Push-ups (5xMax)
Incline Flys (5x3)/ V grip row (5x3)/ Standing Shoulder press (5x3)
Cable lat pushdown (5x3)/ Should Shrugs (5x3)/ Decline push-ups (3xMax)
Hammer curl (5x3) /Skull Crusher (5x3)
Day 3
Front Squats (5x5)
Sumo Deadlifts (5x5)
Weighted Lunges (5x3) per leg
Standing Calve Raises (5x3)
Day 4
V-grip Pull downs (5x5)/ Depth Push-ups (5xMax)
Incline Dumbbell Press (5x3)/ Wide grip rows (5x3)/ Dumbbell Snatch (5x3)
Side Raises (5x3)/ Dumbbell Pullover (5x3)/ Cable Crossovers (5x3)
Reverse curls (5x3)/ Tricep Pulldown (5x3)

KRyn
01-26-2011, 11:16 PM
What gym do you train at and what area of the city are you located in? If you are in the SW of Calgary and you are serious about your training you should consider moving to NSD. They have a lot of equipment that could benefit you and your MMA career. Such as 40-50ft hanging ropes, sleds, prowlers, giant tires + sledge hammers, a couple oly lifting platforms (chalk and dropping weights is allowed) and numerous in door arenas with hurdles.
Your routine looks pretty solid but I would get into Oly lifting as it would give your wrestling and explosive power a huge boost. Just some food for thought.

scboss
01-26-2011, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by KRyn
What gym do you train at and what area of the city are you located in? If you are in the SW of Calgary and you are serious about your training you should consider moving to NSD. They have a lot of equipment that could benefit you and your MMA career. Such as 40-50ft hanging ropes, sleds, prowlers, giant tires + sledge hammers, a couple oly lifting platforms (chalk and dropping weights is allowed) and numerous in door arenas with hurdles.
Your routine looks pretty solid but I would get into Oly lifting as it would give your wrestling and explosive power a huge boost. Just some food for thought.

Right now i workout at mount royal and golds gym north gate, I wouldn't consider mma as a career but as a hobby to keep my friends and I out of trouble (parties, drama,etc). If I could switch gyms I would but I am currently a broke ass student with a car and a gym pass:D.

As for olympic lifts i will be doing these as soon as I learn them. I am currently taking a personal training program and it is coming up in my strength and conditioning class I cant wait.

The reason why I ask here is because I have alot of respect for the guys on here and there opinions. When im done this course I plan to be a trainer that knows there shit unlike 99% of the trainers out there because I am not afraid to be wrong and I am always looking for new techniques and info.

Btw my wrestling game sucks ass right now but my ground defense and offense is getting pretty good. Now if only I could keep my hands up when checking leg kicks :D ive been caught by a couple head kicks already good times

KRyn
01-27-2011, 12:07 AM
Nice, the Oly lifts will help a lot. My only suggestion then is drop the calf raises and go do some sprints on the running track upstairs. Not only will they have the same effect as calf raises but it will also help with your cardio, not to mention all the eye candy in and around the running track!
:bigpimp:

scboss
01-27-2011, 07:29 PM
edit

scboss
01-27-2011, 07:31 PM
Nice, the Oly lifts will help a lot. My only suggestion then is drop the calf raises and go do some sprints on the running track upstairs. Not only will they have the same effect as calf raises but it will also help with your cardio, not to mention all the eye candy in and around the running track!

I must admit man the eye candy has been so good this year:D

Btw took your advice no calve raises because they will be getting worked huge on leg and cardio days

chathamf
01-27-2011, 10:15 PM
Where are you doing your MMA training? Golds? How is that fighters nation thing going over there? I haven't heard much after it got fired up.

scboss
01-28-2011, 12:48 AM
Yeah I just train mma at golds with friends because I usually can't go till late plus the mru staff are bitches they won't even let us hit focus pads by the heavy bags.
Got thrown out for doing it on the first week of school

scboss
02-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Well it has been revised and so far so good, ive decided not to do super setting and instead focus on the tempo of the lifts to promote more hypertrophy. So for upper body ive gone to a 4-1-2 tempo. All of my lifts have dropped significantly because of this but it feels way better.

Day 1 (1-2 min rest)
Back Squats (5x5)
Weighted Step ups (5x3) per leg

Day 2 (30sec-1min rest) 4-1-2 tempo
DB pullovers (12x3)
Incline bench (12x3)
Wide grip Pull-ups (3xmax plus 3 negatives/set)
Decline Bench (12x3)
DB Rows (12x3)
Flat Flys (12x3)
Wide Grip Row (12x3)

Day 3 (30sec-1min rest) 4-1-2 tempo
DB Snatch (12x3)
Side Raises (12x3)
Reverse Flys (12x3)
Shoulder Shrugs (12x3)
Skull Crushers (12x3)
Hammer curls (12x3)
Reverse Curls (12x3)
French Press (12x3)

Day 4 (1-2 min rest)
Front Squats (5x5)
Sumo Deadlifts (5x5)
Weighted Lunges (5x3) per leg

If your wondering what happened to calves ive been skipping 10-20 min after each workout and they feel destroyed so no need

scboss
02-18-2011, 12:25 AM

So I took your advice and talked to my strength teacher, he hooked me up and showed me cleans, jerks and clean pulls and let me say I am alot weaker in these lifts then I thought id be. But after doing them for almost two weeks I feel a huge difference in my explosive power on my take downs. I know that if I get this to 235 I will be a beast! My instructor was doing clean/jerk with 3 plates per side and he is a tank.

If anyone is looking for huge power gains I would find someone to show you these because it is great for fixing alot of your weak links and giving you more explosive power.

I worked them into my routine as followed

Day 1
Clean pulls 5x5
Jerks 5x5
Step ups 3x5
Jump Squats 3x max (bodyweight)
Reverse Flys 4x8-10

Day 2
Incline Bench 4x8-10
Decline Bench 4x8-10
Flat Flys 4x8-10
Depth Push up 4x max
Skull Crushers 2x8-10
French Press 2x8-10

Day 3
Supermans 4x max
Medicine Ball Smash 4x max
Leg Raises 4x max
Side rope pulls 3x10 each side
Sprint Intervals 30 minutes

Day 4
Dumbbell Pullovers 4x8-10
Side Grip Pull-ups 4xmax
Dumbbell Rows 4x8-10
Wide Grip rows 4x8-10
Single Arm curls 2x8-10
Olympic Bar Curls w/negatives 2x8-10

Day 5
Clean and Jerk 5x5
Back Squats 5x5
Weighted Lunges 5x5
Side Raises 4x8-10

KRyn
02-27-2011, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by warcaster

So I took your advice and talked to my strength teacher, he hooked me up and showed me cleans, jerks and clean pulls and let me say I am alot weaker in these lifts then I thought id be. But after doing them for almost two weeks I feel a huge difference in my explosive power on my take downs. I know that if I get this to 235 I will be a beast! My instructor was doing clean/jerk with 3 plates per side and he is a tank.

If anyone is looking for huge power gains I would find someone to show you these because it is great for fixing alot of your weak links and giving you more explosive power.

Good to hear. Olympic lifting is very technical and without proper execution you have no chance of ever moving serious weight. It's always good fun to watch all of the people who try and clean and end up curling the weight. Keep at it.
How big is your instructor? A 315lb clean and jerk is seriously impressive. I have never once noticed anyone at the MRU gym moving that kind of weight.

scboss
02-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Yeah he would never workout at mru as he owns his own fitness facility. Id say he is about 230ish but he isnt jacked by any means.
Im really liking the clean pulls feels crazy as shit
As for clean and jerks im doing a nasty 105 5x5 with good form, mind you its only been two weeks and im still getting use to the movement.

Im trying to fix my problem of widening my stance when it shoots onto my shoulders when getting under the bar. Since messing up my back this is the first time ive been at 215 5x5 for squats in over 2 years so im pretty pumped.