PDA

View Full Version : And now.... Yemen....

Toma
01-27-2011, 07:13 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12295864

ZenOps
01-27-2011, 10:32 AM
"Hey, they got rid of their government, we can too."

Gold is down bigtime, I guess the world likes the idea of returning to monarchies, saudi kings and 10 lashes for not growing enough corn. Makes sense to me, democracies only work for as long as the elected official is not corrupted.

Godfuader
02-13-2011, 12:27 AM
Maybe this method will work better

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=327061

Kloubek
02-13-2011, 01:14 AM
Yemen is no stranger to civil war - so I'd be more concerned that this might throw them into a state of disorder even moreso than we just saw in Egypt.

(Not to say Egypt hasn't had their share of conflict, but that was more international conflict, and was quite a long time ago)

broken_legs
02-13-2011, 03:00 AM
Last time i checked Saudi Arabia Had 70,000 troops aligned with the border firing rockets at villages of destitute rioting desert folk. Meanwhile the US was firing tomahawk missiles from destroyers at the same targets.

This was back in Dec 09

ICEBERG
02-13-2011, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by broken_legs
Last time i checked Saudi Arabia Had 70,000 troops aligned with the border firing rockets at villages of destitute rioting desert folk. Meanwhile the US was firing tomahawk missiles from destroyers at the same targets.

This was back in Dec 09

For years we’ve heard about bringing democracy to the Middle East, but do U.S really want that?

If democracy becomes the norm on these countries like Tunisia, Yemen and now Egypt, the U.S can no longer cut insider deals and/or control those regimes. Having democracy come to the Mid East will results in the United States having far less control.

ICEBERG
02-13-2011, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by ZenOps
"Hey, they got rid of their government, we can too."

Gold is down bigtime, I guess the world likes the idea of returning to monarchies, saudi kings and 10 lashes for not growing enough corn. Makes sense to me, democracies only work for as long as the elected official is not corrupted.

Also don't forget about Oil... If the upheaval somehow makes the Suez Canal an untenable thruway for oil tankers bound for the west, we will be paying like almost $3 a litre for gas.

Here is the market report i was reading few days ago:

NEW YORK (Dow Jones)–Oil prices surged Friday after anti-government protests intensified in Egypt, touching off fears that the unrest that has swept much of the region could spread to other oil-producing countries.

Light, sweet crude for March delivery rose $ 3.61, or 4.2%, at $ 89.25 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange. Brent crude on the ICE futures exchange gained $ 1.63, or $ 1.7%, at $ 99.02 a barrel. It earlier touched a 16-month high of $ 99.63 a barrel.

broken_legs
03-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Yemen police fire on protesters, 50 hurt: Witnesses

http://www.canada.com/business/Yemen+police+fire+protesters+hurt+Witnesses/4404900/story.html

SANAA - Yemeni police opened fire on protesters in the capital Sanaa on Tuesday, wounding at least 50 people demonstrating for an end to President Ali Abdullah Saleh's 32-year rule, witnesses said.

Three of the wounded were in a serious condition, they said.

Policemen and security agents in civilian clothes opened fire as they tried to prevent people from joining thousands of protesters who have camped out for weeks in front of Sanaa University, the witnesses told Reuters. There was no immediate government comment.

DavidI - Get home safe buddy!

broken_legs
03-14-2011, 12:20 AM
... Same shit, different day.

6 Dead - Hundreds Injured as Yemen Police Fire On Protestors
Sanaa, Mar.13 (ANI): Police forces in Yemen have killed atleast six people, including a 15 year old student and injured many more, after they attacked anti- government protesters in the capital city Sanaa.

In the port city of Mukalla in the Hadramout province, a 15-year-old student was shot dead when security troops opened fire on protesters.

People in Yemen have been protesting against President Ali Abdullah Saleh, who has been in power for 32 years and demanding a more democratic set up.

The violence began with an early morning raid on a central square in the capital Sanaa, where thousands of pro-democracy protesters had been camping.

Eyewitnesses said, security troops surrounded the square with police cars and armed personnel carriers shortly after midnight told the people to go home. At about 5am, the security forces stormed in, firing live and ammunition tear gas, News.com.au reports.

http://in.news.yahoo.com/six-killed-yemen-police-fire-anti-government-protesters-20110313-031133-992.html

davidI
03-14-2011, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by broken_legs
Yemen police fire on protesters, 50 hurt: Witnesses

DavidI - Get home safe buddy!

Thanks man. Chilling in a 5-star hotel in Dubai right now so it all worked out well for me!

Not sure about the future of my job though...

Talked to a few locals - they're stocking up on cans of food and ammunition. I seem to remember a fact that Yemen had the most guns per capita at 3. Most of those being AK47s...

You can buy boxes of grenades or RPGs from the back-rooms of many shops and the tribes could certainly stir $hit up if they wanted to. I got a message from a former US CIA dude I knew in Sana'a who figures Saleh will stay in power, but we'll see what shakes out. The problem is, even if Saleh is removed, it will be 5 guys just like him jockying for the presidential role.

broken_legs
03-22-2011, 06:58 AM
So i guess when the US Sponsored Dictator of Yemen decided to kill 45 protestors at the rally, that kind of pissed off some people.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703858404576214071647343028.html

A contingent of Yemen's key military commanders defected to the political opposition Monday, the most significant challenge yet to the ability of the country's president, a U.S. ally against al Qaeda, to hold on to power.

But don't fret, Hillary and Obamma both condemned the violence.

Does that mean we will be dropping bombs on Yemen soon as well?

Don't count on it, Libyas oil reserves are the largest in Africa. Yemen is just about tapped out...

EDIT:

And the ironic bit here - YEMEN has actually tried to attack the USA within the last year.

- Remember the mentally handi-capped underwear bomber who had no passport, whos dad reported him to the FBI, but still managed to get through 2 international airport, and wasnt on a no-fly list?

- Explosive materials in packages headed to USA from YEMEN

- Obama says 'credible threats' etc..

I thought yemen was part of the next axis of evil?