PDA

View Full Version : Advice: 03 350Z vs 07 ish civic si

davesparky6
01-27-2011, 09:16 AM
Alright beyond, here goes... I currently have an 03 350z and a '97 crv for winter. I'm bored to tears driving the crv and, over the last few months have been looking at selling both, buying an SI and pocketing some cash. I already know the performance differences between the Z and SI, this doesn't need to be a debate thread. I'm just wondering what some of you guys would do if you were in my position. Thanks in advance.;)

Xtrema
01-27-2011, 09:28 AM
If you need the money, it's a good compromise. If you don't, stay the course.

Everlast
01-27-2011, 09:31 AM
I'd go minimum 2008 for the SI due to bad transmission in the previous years.

CMW403
01-27-2011, 09:33 AM
I'd sell both and buy the civic, putting all of my extra cash into silver.

6mtguy
01-27-2011, 10:37 AM
keep the Z! :thumbsup:

Zewind
01-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Everlast
I'd go minimum 2008 for the SI due to bad transmission in the previous years.

My 07 SI hasnt had an transmission problems (3rd gear grind).

clem24
01-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Z33s have low resale. Hondas are the opposite. You don't say if money is an issue. I'd keep the Z. If it was me, I couldn't see how I could possibly be happy trading in a Z for an Si. That's too big of a step down.

If money was an issue, I'd sell the CR-V and get some awesome winters for the Z, like Nokian studded Hakkas or studded Gislaveds or similar and drive that thing year round. This is what I would personally do.

If money was not an issue, I'd sell the CR-V and get any Subaru with a turbo + awesome winters.

If money was an issue and you don't want to be driving the Z in the winter (though I really don't see why not), then I'd trade both in, but NOT for a Civic Si. Perhaps a MKV GTI or a G35.

M.alex
01-27-2011, 12:54 PM
Sell cr-v, buy winters for 350z. I daily drove a g35 coupe for 6yrs; winter tires in the winter, no problems ever.

Kloubek
01-27-2011, 01:06 PM
If you need money, then do what is required to get it. Cars are depreciating assets.

davesparky6
01-27-2011, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. It's not that I need the money. I'm just bored using the CR-v as a dd. clem24's subaru comment got me thinking though, there are some 02ish subaru impreza TS wagon's that are going for a similar price to what I'd get for the CR-V. That might be a good option. Thoughts?

clem24
01-27-2011, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by davesparky6
clem24's subaru comment got me thinking though, there are some 02ish subaru impreza TS wagon's that are going for a similar price to what I'd get for the CR-V. That might be a good option. Thoughts?

Subarus are fun in the winter with the right tires. But I doubt you can get into a bug eye straight-up for your 97 CR-V. You'd have to throw in at least $2k. But... The 2.5L is a very torquey engine so is a good choice if you can't step up the WRX. I'd get the TS wagon and throw in WRX springs and suspension on it which are a dime a dozen. You'll have a very nice handling wagon.

Or else (if you don't have to have a wagon) track down a good condition GC 2.5RS (99-01, avoid 98 like the plague). Those are fun and the 00 and 01s come with a viscous rear LSD. I had a 4 door '00 GC as a winter driver when I had my MR2 and I probably drove the GC more in the summer than I did the MR2.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Personally I would sell the CRV and 350Z and buy a WRX or STi and enjoy that year round, but i'm biased, sold my Nissan 180SX to buy a Legacy GT.

kvg
01-27-2011, 06:09 PM
^ +1

zipdoa
01-27-2011, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by CMW403
I'd sell both and buy the civic, putting all of my extra cash into silver.

:rofl:

Fucking birdsey and his silver.

Just make sure you buy silver stock, and not actual physical silver. Makes it much easier to sell :nut:

EDIT:

Mandatory Audi reccomendation. Find yourself an older 90CSQ, 5000TQ wagon or 100/200 TQ and use that for a daily. You can thank me later.

jsn
01-27-2011, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by clem24
Z33s have low resale. Hondas are the opposite. You don't say if money is an issue. I'd keep the Z. If it was me, I couldn't see how I could possibly be happy trading in a Z for an Si. That's too big of a step down.

This. If you're bored of driving the CRV in the winter, I don't see how selling both cars and driving a Civic SI year round will keep you satisfied. At least currently, you have a sports car for half of the year. I agree with the comment about the STI though... good performance car for year round. I don't want to be biased so an EVO would make a good choice as well:)

Sorath
01-28-2011, 12:32 AM
si over the z33, z33 is boring, si is fun to drive

911fever
01-28-2011, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Personally I would sell the CRV and 350Z and buy a WRX or STi and enjoy that year round, but i'm biased, sold my Nissan 180SX to buy a Legacy GT.

+1

shakalaka
01-28-2011, 01:37 AM
Just got winter tires for my Z yesterday and it's night and day difference. Before that it was just parked in the garage for over a month and half and I got bored of just looking at it and not being able to drive.

uptown.
01-28-2011, 01:55 AM
GvqKqxDC63A

psycoticclown
01-28-2011, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

:werd:

davesparky6
01-28-2011, 08:07 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. I think a winter subaru looks like the best of both worlds. Might list the CR-v and get a feel for what it'll go for and take it from there. Thanks again!

6mtguy
01-28-2011, 10:11 AM
good choice... then inject some boost into the Z and hand out asses!:thumbsup:

jsn
01-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I think a winter subaru looks like the best of both worlds. Might list the CR-v and get a feel for what it'll go for and take it from there. Thanks again!

Are you just selling the CR-V? I'm sorry to say but unless you're willing to get an older JDM version, I'm not sure if selling a 97 CR-V will get you enough to buy a wrx, let alone an STI.

davesparky6
01-29-2011, 05:06 AM
^^Not a WRX... I wish... More likely an 02 TS wagon, with maybe a little cash on my end. Tgey're going for around $5500 and the CR-v should be near that.

se7en
01-29-2011, 10:06 AM
I just sold my FWD eclipse and bought a bugeye wrx....couldn't be happier. Super easy to mod, and fun as hell to drive!

A790
01-29-2011, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
si over the z33, z33 is boring, si is fun to drive

msommers
01-29-2011, 01:27 PM
I would definitely sell both and get a WRX or Sti if possible

jsn
01-29-2011, 01:42 PM
^^Not a WRX... I wish... More likely an 02 TS wagon, with maybe a little cash on my end. Tgey're going for around $5500 and the CR-v should be near that.

Oh so keeping the Z? Good choice. I used to have an 06 impreza wagon. The TS wagon might not be as fast as the wrx and the STI, but they're still great winter cars and a blast to drive. In some ways, I wish I had a wagon instead of the sedan. It sucks only being able to carry 1 snowboard lol.

ddduke
01-29-2011, 02:22 PM
Have you considered other fun winter vehicles that can be had for a lower price? Maybe a Jeep or Landrover? Both can do well in the winter and you can have some off road fun with them.

Sorath
01-29-2011, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by A790

power isnt everything cam

se7en
01-29-2011, 04:41 PM
yes it is. i have a penis. it requires power.

davesparky6
01-30-2011, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by ddduke
Have you considered other fun winter vehicles that can be had for a lower price? Maybe a Jeep or Landrover? Both can do well in the winter and you can have some off road fun with them.
Have thought of doing that but the only reason I'd sell the CRV is to get a car, the CRV has winters on it and is unstoppable in snow. I'm just bored using it as a dd. So thinking of keeping the Z as a summer ride and looking for a more fun winter one (subie). As a plus if I can find a wagon I'm not really sacrificing any space! :thumbsup:

A790
01-30-2011, 10:50 AM

power isnt everything cam
No of course not, but I never really found the SI to be fun to drive. I guess it depends on what your tastes are.

zipdoa
01-30-2011, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by A790

No of course not, but I never really found the SI to be fun to drive. I guess it depends on what your tastes are.

290HP RWD 6SPD with track tuned suspension vs 200hp fwd 5spd is a no brainer to me.

Sorath
01-30-2011, 05:18 PM
im sorry but the car feels like a boat to me, and alot of other people would agree

A790
01-30-2011, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa

290HP RWD 6SPD with track tuned suspension vs 200hp fwd 5spd is a no brainer to me.
Kind of my thoughts too. Plus, torque is nice :)

im sorry but the car feels like a boat to me, and alot of other people would agree
I really enjoy driving the 350z. Never really felt like a boat to me... but then again, I've got a few inches on you so maybe the driving position for me is a little different.

heavyD
01-30-2011, 05:27 PM

Have thought of doing that but the only reason I'd sell the CRV is to get a car, the CRV has winters on it and is unstoppable in snow. I'm just bored using it as a dd. So thinking of keeping the Z as a summer ride and looking for a more fun winter one (subie). As a plus if I can find a wagon I'm not really sacrificing any space! :thumbsup:

Am I missing something? You are looking for an 02 Subaru TS Wagon because you think it will be fun? Subaru's are understeering pigs even in their performance models. Civic Si handles better than any car in the Subaru line outside of maybe an STi.

bourge73
01-30-2011, 05:29 PM
Zippy isnt the SI a 6spd too? I agree with selling the CRV and getting a Subie or Audi as a DD in the winter keep the 350 Z . Park it in the winter and keep it mint no?

Aleks
01-30-2011, 05:37 PM

I'd agree those older Z/G cars are not all that great and the resale value shows it. Engine is very harsh and they are pretty slow for the power rating they have.
Si is a very fun car to drive on the other hand. Two cars are in different class though.

jsn
01-30-2011, 06:02 PM
Take what heavy D says about subarus with a grain of salt. He always has some valid points, but he's sorta the unofficial beyond subaru hater.

Heavy D, maybe the Si does handle better than the impreza TS and wrx , but from the sounds of it, it seems like he wants a winter car that's more exciting than his crv. Having driven both the impreza and civic, it's hard to compare them for winter purposes as one has AWD and the other is FWD. Yes on a track the Si would probably outhandle the Si and wrx, but it sounds like he wants a winter car that'll have winter performance on par with his crv. I'm not saying the civic is incapable of winter driving, but you can't really argue that awd does not have its advantages in the snow/ice.

msommers
01-30-2011, 06:18 PM
If the 350Z handles anything like the G35, it definitely can feel like a boat when you throw it hard into the corners. Plus the interior I've never been a fan of.

When I drove jsn's WRX briefly, it definitely felt more nimble and lighter than the G.

zipdoa
01-30-2011, 06:48 PM
G35's certainly do feel piggy, granted they are closer to 3600lbs. For a coupe, I was really disappointed even considering I drove the track-pack version.

I haven't driven a 350z but I was decently impressed with the 370z. Also keep in mind the 350z saves about 400lbs over the heavier G.

davesparky6
01-30-2011, 07:41 PM
Sorry for the confusion... Lol I didn't intend to compare Subaru ts/civic si/350z I've driven all 3 in the past and they all have ups and downs. As far as resale, I bought the z a year ago for $15.4k... It'll still go for pretty close to that. If I'd have spent $18 on an si it would have dropped just as much if not more than the Z.
I drive a lot, and I am getting to the point where I'm borrowing my gf's car just because it's (slightly) more fun than the CRV. So it's either sell the CRV and the Z and get a better dd, or it's sell the CRV, keep the Z and find a more entertaining winter mobile.
Keep the posts coming though, I appreciate the advice.:D

heavyD
01-31-2011, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by jsn
Take what heavy D says about subarus with a grain of salt. He always has some valid points, but he's sorta the unofficial beyond subaru hater.

I'm certainly no Subaru hater. I considered buying one before I got my EVO and recommended the WRX to a guy at work that leaded him to buying one in the summer. It's just that Subaru is so overrated here by many I like to think of myself as the balancing voice of reason.

Idiot Stick
01-31-2011, 08:58 AM
I think the real problem here is that it's winter and he misses his 350z...

Wait until spring, and give your car a big fucking hug and take it out for a spin.

Cos
01-31-2011, 09:31 AM
I agree with idiot stick. This time of year I go stir crazy and feel the same way.

Idiot Stick
01-31-2011, 09:42 AM
I said that only because I am going nuts missing my Mr2. What makes it worse is going south for a month for work, and the entire time thinking "Fuck i wish I had my car here"

Every winter the idea of selling the car and getting something AWD for year 'round comes to mind. Always always always wanted a GT-Four.

davesparky6
01-31-2011, 09:59 AM
I think idiot stick nailed it lol... Everyone I talk to says something to this effect: "Nothing you buy will be as practical as the CR-V and nothing will be as fun as the 350Z". Don't get me wrong, there are better cars out there, but for my budget it's a good set-up. Having said that, an awd wagon with a manual tranny could fill the winter void....
:burnout: :burnout:
:burnout: :burnout:

msommers
01-31-2011, 10:06 AM
In my opinion unless you're driving an exotic, I don't know why the hell people have a winter beater and let their car they enjoy to drive sit in the garage all winter long. Even then I see Porsches on the streets in the winter time.

Cars are ment to be driven, not just looked at.

davesparky6
01-31-2011, 10:09 AM
^Saw a Ferrari 348 ripping around on elbow yesterday. We all have different expectations of our cars. :dunno:

heavyD
01-31-2011, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Cos
I agree with idiot stick.

For some reason I got a little chuckle about the way this comes out when you just pop in and look at posts.

heavyD
01-31-2011, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by msommers
In my opinion unless you're driving an exotic, I don't know why the hell people have a winter beater and let their car they enjoy to drive sit in the garage all winter long. Even then I see Porsches on the streets in the winter time.

I think it's an age thing. When I was young I did the same thing but as I got older I got really tired spending half the year behind the wheel of a vehicle I didn't particularily like. Now I get a laugh listening to people talking about garagein cars like Civics, Mustangs, EVO's (some guys in the US actually garage them in the winter), etc. Just get a set of winter wheels/tires (tire technology has improved vastly making RWD cars handle well in winter) and drive the car you like all year long and so what if it's RWD. I drove my MR2 Turbo over two winters and had no issues.

Idiot Stick
01-31-2011, 10:26 AM
Do they use Salt or Sand over on your side of the country?

Here on the east coast, give it one winter on an older car, and you've got rust from all the salt the pour on the streets. I daily drive (And when I say that, I mean it. 200+km's a day mon-fri for work) a 2000 Celica GT-S. Excellent winter car with the right set of tires.

Originally posted by heavyD

For some reason I got a little chuckle about the way this comes out when you just pop in and look at posts.

Haha yeah, I often wish I had chosen a different username. I have NO idea where I got this one...

msommers
01-31-2011, 10:46 AM
Oh ya, we get a lot here as well albeit I don't think as much as the east coast, which probably has to do with being so close to the ocean rather than the amount put on the road by human means.

Regardless, if rust and rock chips are concerns I suppose that's fair. Personally I just wax it before winter, wash it often and hand wash and wax when it's warm. Like the other weekend it was like +5 or whatever, I was out in the garage waxing that baby up! I did the same thing with my turbo'd 240sx with an open diff. Threw some winters on her and was totally fine. I was probably 19 then. Wash, wash, wash.

Even now. I drove my buddy to the airport in his rogue and I was so fucking bored, even the up-high seating position felt all wrong. Maybe having a manual now has something to do with that too :D

6mtguy
01-31-2011, 01:03 PM

true but have you ever tried to drive 404 whp in snow... not that fun.

when there are nice days i bring it out but thats about it.

shakalaka
01-31-2011, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Idiot Stick
I think the real problem here is that it's winter and he misses his 350z...

Wait until spring, and give your car a big fucking hug and take it out for a spin.

Haha I am not gonna lie. That was exactly my problem. I kept seeing the Z sitting in the garage for over couple of months and it just pissed me off.

Last week I went and got winter tires for it and now I am in love with it all over again. Haha

msommers
01-31-2011, 01:16 PM
My 240 dyno'd at close to 300rwhp, I think like 225 when I ended up selling it. Didn't even have LSD haha. Power:weight ratio, probably close or the same as your G. It kinda sucked for sure but it was doable with sand bags in the back and some Hakk winters.

I still need a ride in your car btw :D

6mtguy
01-31-2011, 03:32 PM
My 240 dyno'd at close to 300rwhp, I think like 225 when I ended up selling it. Didn't even have LSD haha. Power:weight ratio, probably close or the same as your G. It kinda sucked for sure but it was doable with sand bags in the back and some Hakk winters.

I still need a ride in your car btw :D

pretty close power to weight when it was at 300 for sure. ya i think im going to be selling the tercel and getting some good winters 'cause i do miss driving it! when all this snow is gone we'll go for a rip for sure Matt.:burnout:

heavyD
01-31-2011, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Idiot Stick
Do they use Salt or Sand over on your side of the country?

They salt here but mix it with sand and rock chips. Out east they can afford to use more salt less sand because they don't get the low overnight temperatures we see. Cars don't rust nearly as bad here because it's really dry here as opposed to the east where is really humid but we get lots of rock chips as it's like driving over gravel roads anytime we even get a millimeter of snow city crews are dumping piles of rocks on the roads. It's kind of laughable as they drop it even on dry pavement. I'm going to have to replace the windshields this year on both our vehicles.:thumbsdow

johnboy27
01-31-2011, 05:45 PM

They salt here but mix it with sand and rock chips. Out east they can afford to use more salt less sand because they don't get the low overnight temperatures we see. Cars don't rust nearly as bad here because it's really dry here as opposed to the east where is really humid but we get lots of rock chips as it's like driving over gravel roads anytime we even get a millimeter of snow city crews are dumping piles of rocks on the roads. It's kind of laughable as they drop it even on dry pavement. I'm going to have to replace the windshields this year on both our vehicles.:thumbsdow
I find it even more funny when they throw sand on top of freshly fallen snow without plowing the streer first, makes no sense to me at all. They are just throwing away the snow clearing budget.That said, I am nursing the same windshield I had installed when I bought my car 2.5 years ago, one huge crack across the bottom and one chip from the fall that hasn't spread yet.

clem24
02-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Subaru's are understeering pigs even in their performance models. Civic Si handles better than any car in the Subaru line outside of maybe an STi.

We're talking about a winter car here... He's already made the decision to keep the Z and replace the CRV. A Subaru will understeer no more than a Civic in snow, with the advantage that the Subaru, especially with a manual where power is rear biased, can easily be corrected with some trail braking and powering through mid turn. In the dry, it's only a matter of spending about $3-$400 to replace some sway bars to get the car to handle more neutral.

With a TS wagon, you can EASILY defeat most of the understeer just by replacing the rear sway bar. Heck a stock WRX unit will do wonders here for less than $50 on the used market. And if you want a superb handling NA car with plenty of low end grunt, the stock TS with WRX suspension bits can be had very cheaply and would definitely be loads of fun. For a winter car, slap on some awesome winters and I'd easily take this over a Civic anyday plus you got the hatch to boot.

Aleks
02-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by 6mtguy

450hp RWD winter beater right here. Not the only one on beyond either.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/326239/crazy-temps-on-stoney-trail-tonight/

M.alex
02-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by 6mtguy

500rwhp and no abs or traction control here (the front wheel sensor is fubar'd, and i don't feel like drilling out the hub to get him out, so screw it, no abs or t/c for me)

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww89/efnfast/snow1.jpg

If you can't drive 400rwhp, in a boosted v6, with winter tires, safely in the winter, then there's something wrong with you (i.e., learn throttle control)

bourge73
02-01-2011, 06:42 PM
^^ nice work sir... now kindly rather than clean your driveway clean that damn car off!